Would you charge your parents rent?

Options
Situation (not my own situation):

You are doing well financially (mortgage paid off, you and your spouse have high paying/stable jobs etc.). You have 4 children that are all under the age of 10. You let your mom live in your finished basement after your dad passes away. Her only income is from the government (pension/benefits) which is around $800-1200 per month.

Would you charge her RENT?

IF ...

Yes - Then how much would you charge her ?

No - Tell us why, is it wrong ?

BE HONEST ....

tnxs.

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Would depend on if she had charged her child/children rent when they were growing up in her house? - I'd say she's paid her dues once already :wink:
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    If they can I would ONLY if they were interested in doing that with you. The best bet is to talk to your mom about that and see what her financial situation is like or what she feels is better.

But with your mortgage paid off sounds like the money would be for nothing necessary. Maybe have her help pay for something she wants to participate in like groceries, internet, television, or gas getting her around. Or if you don't charge her rent make her understand she supplies herself everything like groceries, clothing, and everything else she might need.

Whatever works you should do it for the good of all the family. Sounds like you have a great situation for her to move in and maybe your kids will love having grandma there all the time!
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    no its your mum!!! i bet shes helped you out a tonne growing up without asking for anything in return. by the sound of it your ok with cash, maybe get her to look after the kids or clean or cook once in a while
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    No freaking way ......
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Uhh, lemme think...NO :noway:
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    No way! That is unthinkable to charge your parents rent, especially your widowed mother. It would be heartless, that is why it is wrong.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    If I was well off financially, and my mom only took in that small amount of money, I would never charge her rent. It sounds like a situation that might be emotionally humbling for her too, a step down from being in her own home. I would want her to feel welcome. She could pay for he own food and other personal items.

The only time I would charge rent would be if I was strapped financially. Then I would appreciate something from her. But that isn't the situation you are describing.

Mothers give up everything for their kids over many years. This is an opportunity to give something back to her.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    No way.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    No way but then my mum always spoilt me so how could I do that to her?
  • Nessalee77
    Nessalee77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    No way.

BUT I would take full advantage of the built-in baby-sitting availability.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    No, I really don't believe in charging family members rent...for the most part they come to live with you because they are going through some hardship. ...Its ok to put time limits on the length of stay of course and ask chores....but rent I think no ..otherwise its too hard for them to get ahead.....Especially parents....
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    sure, right after I pay them the labor of changing my diapers, cooking me meals, taking care of me, paying for my food, school, etc etc etc. Once I'm done paying for it, I'm sure I can charge them.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    After all that my parents has done for me, there is NO WAY I would charge them!
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! Your parents raised you. And if you have 4 children, you know how much it costs to raise children. The struggles in life you face, all worth it, but struggles nonetheless. I would NEVER charge my parents rent if they needed a place to stay. My house will always be a home for them as their house was always a home for me. <3
  • cfred40
    cfred40 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    NO

I would make her work it off...watching the 4 brats..
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    No way.

BUT I would take full advantage of the built-in baby-sitting availability.

Oh hell yeah!! :glasses:
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on the specifics, but for me, if any of my grandparents or my mom needed me in that way, then I would not charge them.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the relationship you have with your mother. Mine was a bad one from the day she found out she was pregnant to the day she died, so I would have. If it would have been a good one, I wouldn't have charged.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    No, frankly it sounds like she's not that well off and you don't need the money.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hell no. For sure I wouldn't charge my father. I'm in college and he's helping me as much as he can while still teaching me to be financially independent without charging me a DIME in rent or living expenses other than food, which I buy myself anyway. What purpose would there be to charge her? If you are well off, then give back to your now widowed mother.

And I agree.. Free babysitting!