Lessons I’ve learned on MFP (Chit Chat/Fun & Games):

Options

Replies

• AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    jenmar22 wrote: »
    This might sound mean...but gals need to lay off the clinginess. It's the internet. You don't get to "claim" crushes.

A lot of people who are flirting on here are just having a bit of fun... Chill. My cool guy friends keep having to deactivate to avoid one or a couple clingy chicks. I've also received threats from girls bc I "stole" their MFP crush (when, in reality, I've been close friends with said guy for over a year O_o)

Not that it doesn't go the other way too (guys get too clingy with girls)...

Basically it comes down to: people need to stop taking the internet so seriously O_o

Yup..

Because. Internet.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    This might sound mean...but gals need to lay off the clinginess. It's the internet. You don't get to "claim" crushes.

A lot of people who are flirting on here are just having a bit of fun... Chill. My cool guy friends keep having to deactivate to avoid one or a couple clingy chicks. I've also received threats from girls bc I "stole" their MFP crush (when, in reality, I've been close friends with said guy for over a year O_o)

Basically it comes down to: people need to stop taking the internet so seriously O_o

But it's real!!!!!
    Damn you for bursting my bubble
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    Options

Always knew you were a smart girl Jen ;)
  • Gots2Bfitter
    Gots2Bfitter Posts: 741 Member
    Options

So what if it's the Internet. It's human nature. This argument would put all dating sites out of business too. The Internet is a viable way to connect with people. If you connect with someone here or in a library or the supermarket or work...whatever...it is human nature to want to believe it is a unique and special connection. And often times one does take it seriously. And btw I'm not talking about the rate me forum. I'm talking about truly interacting with someone and forming some sort of relationship. It is disappointing regardless where and how you met them to become disillusioned.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

So what if it's the Internet. It's human nature. This argument would put all dating sites out of business too. The Internet is a viable way to connect with people. If you connect with someone here or in a library or the supermarket or work...whatever...it is human nature to want to believe it is a unique and special connection. And often times one does take it seriously. And btw I'm not talking about the rate me forum. I'm talking about truly interacting with someone and forming some sort of relationship. It is disappointing regardless where and how you met them to become disillusioned.

I can totally understand how it would be just as upsetting to find out that you've been led on, on - or off the internet.
    The problem is that on the Internet and especially on websites that aren't designed for such purposes, there are very few safeguards in place to stop such things happening.

It's a tough thing to call because you can't stop having emotions but you have to be realistic with where you put your faith in people and how easily (using 'you' broadly, not 'you' per se).
  • jenmar222
    jenmar222 Posts: 9,271 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to quote you. But, I mean, if you didn't take it so seriously...you wouldn't get disappointed and disillusioned.

And tbh the same goes for online dating. If girls didn't take that so seriously (expecting every guy they interact with to be perfect and/or to be their future SO) people would have a lot more fun with it.

Just saying...I've never been that upset over anything that happened on MFP. I've also never been that disappointed over anything that happened in the process of dating. Why? Because I don't take shet so seriously.

It's a great, drama free way to live. More people should give it a try :smiley:
  • jtegirl
    jtegirl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

Are you for serious?! People actually get that crazy with clinginess that people have to deactivate? Wow lol
  • jenmar222
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jtegirl wrote: »
    Are you for serious?! People actually get that crazy with clinginess that people have to deactivate? Wow lol

Like....most of my good guy friends who have been on here :unamused:

And girls leave too...but they usually come back
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to quote you. But, I mean, if you didn't take it so seriously...you wouldn't get disappointed and disillusioned.

And tbh the same goes for online dating. If girls didn't take that so seriously (expecting every guy they interact with to be perfect and/or to be their future SO) people would have a lot more fun with it.

Just saying...I've never been that upset over anything that happened on MFP. I've also never been that disappointed over anything that happened in the process of dating. Why? Because I don't take shet so seriously.

It's a great, drama free way to live. More people should give it a try :smiley:

I love you Jen :) I've given up trying to explain this, but you've articulated it perfectly. Life is far too short to take MFP of all things so seriously. I just don't get it! Oh and about the stalker, clingy women-I've experienced the flip side of that and it is NOT a good look on men or women. It's made me seriously consider friend requests and the motivation behind them. I refuse to add new friends that I haven't interacted with in some fashion. The crazy is strong in these forums sometimes.
  • synchkat
    Options
    This place really attracts some despicable human beings who think being abusive yo others is a way to build themselves up. It's pathetic as much as they are pathetic and I am happy for the block feature which I made use of as recently as a few minutes ago.
  • jenjencin78
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    This place really attracts some despicable human beings who think being abusive yo others is a way to build themselves up. It's pathetic as much as they are pathetic and I am happy for the block feature which I made use of as recently as a few minutes ago.

Very true...lol I've received my share of bs messages. I laugh while deleting them and blocking the idiots. (Thanks for helping me with that btw) lol
  • jtegirl
    jtegirl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    jtegirl wrote: »

Like....most of my good guy friends who have been on here :unamused:

And girls leave too...but they usually come back

Wow, that is so crazy. I am honestly shocked.

• jenjencin78
    Options
    I've also received threats from girls bc I "stole" their MFP crush (when, in reality, I've been close friends with said guy for over a year O_o)

Basically when catty/clingy girls message me, I've started sending them this link:

hjntiypost1_Large.jpg

I'm also going to start using it for 1/2 the "relationship advice" threads O_o

(It seems mean, but I like to think of it as tough love for the fellow female population)

Awesome. Lol luckily I've never been accused of stealing someone's man. I only get the creepy dudes who stalk me and want to send me pics of their little Richards.
  • jenmar222
    Options
    I've also received threats from girls bc I "stole" their MFP crush (when, in reality, I've been close friends with said guy for over a year O_o)

Basically when catty/clingy girls message me, I've started sending them this link:

hjntiypost1_Large.jpg

(It seems mean, but I like to think of it as tough love for the fellow female population)

Awesome. Lol luckily I've never been accused of stealing someone's man. I only get the creepy dudes who stalk me and want to send me pics of their little Richards.

I accept the pics of their little Richards. I even tell them that their Richards look huuuge. But, that's mostly for my entertainment... :joy: I don't necessarily recommend it as a stalker prevention strategy.
  • synchkat
    Options

hjntiypost1_Large.jpg

Ugh I was "given" someone's guy once. I was like wtf?!?!? He and I are friends...she's had several incarnations here. That was the weirdest thing that ever happened.
  • Rexy_p
    Rexy_p Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Don't connect emotionally to any one
    Better chose friends who belong or slightly related to your background I mean place, culture