Lessons I’ve learned on MFP (Chit Chat/Fun & Games):

Options

Replies

• Chase_The_Pain
    Chase_The_Pain Posts: 255 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've learned that sometimes people write novels for posts and that my time is valuable, so I skip.
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    If it isn't peer reviewed science sources, it just isn't cricket.... :grimace:
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Lessons I’ve learned on MFP (Chit Chat/Fun & Games)?

Well, I guess I've learned that it's all just fun and games. Even with a profile pic, I think that most people feel fairly anonymous online. So I think they are less inhibited.

Which is probably why there is so much flirting going on, which I like. I always try to see the good in peoples personality and body -- I wanted to throw body in as well because this is a fitness site, a person's body or profile pic is usually what you see about them first, and because it's true.

I don't really know if I'm flirting or not, but I love to give compliments on here. I think people are more willing to flirt or give complements back because it's safe: safe from rejection, safe from ridicule from our friends about who might be giving us a compliment or flirting with us, physically safe because if you do flirt with the stalker type, you can block him or her, etc...

I also think that it allows one to try out different/new parts of our personality that we would not feel comfortable trying out in person or around our friends.
  • Chase_The_Pain
    Chase_The_Pain Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    beingmore1 wrote: »
    I've learned that sometimes people write novels for posts and that my time is valuable, so I skip.

so you don't read it "for the articles' .
    I can't read anyway, which is why I just watch the selfie thread

• Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options

so you don't read it "for the articles' .
    I can't read anyway, which is why I just watch the selfie thread

Interesting. And not a bad idea....with that thread you get it all. You get beauty, rugged good looks, drama, terror, creepiness, hilarious, and irritation, usually within one page!

Don't forget the thirst.
  • DreDay46
    DreDay46 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I stick to lurking and the occasional comment here and there. Seems safer that way.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    DreDay46 wrote: »
    I stick to lurking and the occasional comment here and there. Seems safer that way.

That's how it all begins.
    *evil laugh*
  • Candy0516
    Candy0516 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Some guys are thirsty
  • DreDay46
    DreDay46 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Some girls are thirsty

Truth
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    All I've really learned is that while most of y'all are nice and chatty, I should just expect the unexpected.

I'll be lurking and reading a forum that is seemingly innocuous and then Bam! random *kitten* happens, things escalate quickly, the IBLers show up, dance around and then the thread gets locked.

Also.. there are a lot of people on here seeking some pretty personal advice and I don't understand how they (or anyone) can be so okay with letting random strangers know that much of themselves or their problems. It's one thing to throw out a few personal details here or there, but entire back stories on their lives, the relationships they've had, etc.? There are romance novels that are less long and dramatic, lol.

It's just.. baffling to me.

Upside? I don't need soap operas or television, I can just come here.

imo that's just life. its the same here as it is anywhere. nobody ever really knows another person and everybody's got a story. some are a lot alike some are a lot different. some are boring some are insane some are not worth remembering.

in the end really its just about you and what you choose to make of it you know? this place has been a huge means of support for some folks over the years, for myself included. if i couldn't laugh at some of the things i've seen idk where i'd be at this point.

i know i'm not the only one who loves this place and some of the folks we have on here. i think you just have to pick your friendships where you can. can be awesome can be cringe-y. but life is so empty in some ways and the color drains easily if you let it. doesn't hurt a thing to make one more friend to fill it back in from time to time.

Incredibly valid point, but your avatar image is freaking me the eff out. I just had to put that in.

On topic, what you say about life is definitely true, but I have found that here is way more unpredictable than real life. I've accurately predicted the movements of almost every person I've ever known. I don't know why that is or by what fluke that happened, but yes.. the people I know are *extremely* predictable.

I like the atmosphere here because of how fluid it is (most of the time, anyway).
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    All I've really learned is that while most of y'all are nice and chatty, I should just expect the unexpected.

I'll be lurking and reading a forum that is seemingly innocuous and then Bam! random *kitten* happens, things escalate quickly, the IBLers show up, dance around and then the thread gets locked.

Also.. there are a lot of people on here seeking some pretty personal advice and I don't understand how they (or anyone) can be so okay with letting random strangers know that much of themselves or their problems. It's one thing to throw out a few personal details here or there, but entire back stories on their lives, the relationships they've had, etc.? There are romance novels that are less long and dramatic, lol.

imo that's just life. its the same here as it is anywhere. nobody ever really knows another person and everybody's got a story. some are a lot alike some are a lot different. some are boring some are insane some are not worth remembering.

in the end really its just about you and what you choose to make of it you know? this place has been a huge means of support for some folks over the years, for myself included. if i couldn't laugh at some of the things i've seen idk where i'd be at this point.

i know i'm not the only one who loves this place and some of the folks we have on here. i think you just have to pick your friendships where you can. can be awesome can be cringe-y. but life is so empty in some ways and the color drains easily if you let it. doesn't hurt a thing to make one more friend to fill it back in from time to time.

Well said. Sometimes putting a little bit of your life story out there for a ton of strangers can also be therapeutic. I also know there are days I would beat my head against the wall if I couldn't come here to laugh, vent and pass time.

I also met one of my very best friends here, he and I have talked damn near every day for almost two years. Idk what I would do without him at this point. On the other end of the spectrum I have also met some people here I would rather not converse with ever again. And I don't have to, I am an adult and can scroll past the stuff I don't like.

I don't know why, but this really warms my heart for some reason. That's great (the bit about your friend, not about the people you'd never want to strike up a conversation with again). Nice to know good things can happen here and it's not just a really weird fitness related KIK. Bleh.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

Well said. Sometimes putting a little bit of your life story out there for a ton of strangers can also be therapeutic. I also know there are days I would beat my head against the wall if I couldn't come here to laugh, vent and pass time.

I also met one of my very best friends here, he and I have talked damn near every day for almost two years. Idk what I would do without him at this point. On the other end of the spectrum I have also met some people here I would rather not converse with ever again. And I don't have to, I am an adult and can scroll past the stuff I don't like.

I don't know why, but this really warms my heart for some reason. That's great (the bit about your friend, not about the people you'd never want to strike up a conversation with again). Nice to know good things can happen here and it's not just a really weird fitness related KIK. Bleh.

You said Kik

Did I unknowingly summon an elder god or something that I don't know about?