Lessons I’ve learned on MFP (Chit Chat/Fun & Games):

Options

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    It's really no different from "RL".

Manipulators here and IRL. I think the ones here are a little more obvious though.

Yet they think not. Amusing, no? :joy:

Very. And they keep coming back because it's their crack.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Some people creep me out so much I feel nauseous
  • tomorrowistoday0000
    tomorrowistoday0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've learned that it is possible to find decent people here. It isn't easy, but they do exist.

I second that. I've been fortunate enough to have some really great ones (females and males) who have helped me tremendously and I'm so grateful for them. So far, no inappropriate pictures in my inbox yet (as so many of you have expressed) so I'm feeling blessed. :)
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I've learned that it is possible to find decent people here. It isn't easy, but they do exist.

So true...
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've learned that mfp should come with a pacifier and a baby bottle.

ho9lmml4yjbr.gif

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Welp. I've learned that I haven't been around long enough to have learned any of these things. :flushed:
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I have learned that many people will open deeply detailed threads asking for advice on their marriages, in a community packed to exhaustion with ongoing "would you kiss/date/smash?" questions, filled to the brim with married people.
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    You'll be damned if you do and damned if you don't. Judgy people are judgy.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I have learned that many people will open deeply detailed threads asking for advice on their marriages, in a community packed to exhaustion with ongoing "would you kiss/date/smash?" questions, filled to the brim with married people.

Probably the most insightful thing I've seen yet!

• striderb
    striderb Posts: 5,843 Member
    Options
    Friendships that you believe are strong can disappear in an instant.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    A lesson I am trying to learn is to not give out too much personal information.
    I really have to hold back sometimes to not overshare!
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I learned if I'm going to resurrect an old thread, it's going to be my own. :)

I learned that "good" friends deactivate, come back with new names and suddenly you're invisible. Hence the quotes around good.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    .. That MFP is the world's best dating site for people seeking long-distance relationships.
  • Eat2Brute
    Eat2Brute Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »

I learned that "good" friends deactivate, come back with new names and suddenly you're invisible. Hence the quotes around good.

I've learned not to put too much stock into online friendships. As a result, I'm totally guilty of doing this.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Eat2Brute wrote: »
    J_Surita3 wrote: »

I've learned not to put too much stock into online friendships. As a result, I'm totally guilty of doing this.

giphy.gif
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    All I've really learned is that while most of y'all are nice and chatty, I should just expect the unexpected.

I'll be lurking and reading a forum that is seemingly innocuous and then Bam! random *kitten* happens, things escalate quickly, the IBLers show up, dance around and then the thread gets locked.

Also.. there are a lot of people on here seeking some pretty personal advice and I don't understand how they (or anyone) can be so okay with letting random strangers know that much of themselves or their problems. It's one thing to throw out a few personal details here or there, but entire back stories on their lives, the relationships they've had, etc.? There are romance novels that are less long and dramatic, lol.

It's just.. baffling to me.

Upside? I don't need soap operas or television, I can just come here.

imo that's just life. its the same here as it is anywhere. nobody ever really knows another person and everybody's got a story. some are a lot alike some are a lot different. some are boring some are insane some are not worth remembering.

in the end really its just about you and what you choose to make of it you know? this place has been a huge means of support for some folks over the years, for myself included. if i couldn't laugh at some of the things i've seen idk where i'd be at this point.

i know i'm not the only one who loves this place and some of the folks we have on here. i think you just have to pick your friendships where you can. can be awesome can be cringe-y. but life is so empty in some ways and the color drains easily if you let it. doesn't hurt a thing to make one more friend to fill it back in from time to time.

200.gif#3-grid1[img][/img]