Do you guys drink diet sodas?

Options
I seem to have a hard time parting ways with diet coke. Do you guys indulge in diet sodas? And if you do, how often?

I keep telling myself the diet coke is not adding any extra calories to my diet but I have heard that artificial sweeteners tend to pack on the pounds all the same.

What's your take on it?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Oh the Diet soda debate comes back to life!!!! You should drink more water than you do soda.. if not you need to change.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I've lost 34 lbs drinking diet soda. I don't have it a lot though. 4 cups a week at most.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Diet soda contains no calories. If you regulate your intake based on a plan (e.g. MFP), then it's pretty simple. No calories is no calories.

If you eat based on desire, drinking diet soda does not appear to have any positive effects on weight loss.

I don't drink diet soda because I don't like it. Don't drink regular soda either. But zero calories is actually zero calories.
  • Aylawade
    Aylawade Posts: 22
    Options
    I refuse to switch to diet pop for the same reason. I have also heard that those artificial sweeteners cause memory issues. Who knows if its true or not, but I drink the mini cans of Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew. I only allow myself one per day though.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I drink a few diet sodas a week, but I used to drink a lot more. I drink mostly water now. Some people act like it's poison, maybe it isn't the healthiest of beverages, but personally I know diet soda didn't make me fat so I allow myself some and focus on the calories I take in.

7396232.png
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yes. Usually 1 can a day.

They are zero calories. Some have 10 or 15 which isn't much either.

I used to drink 5-6 a day and didn't weigh more then either.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have a diet Coke every morning.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Nope, but I never like diet soda anyhow. In fact, I've never liked anything "diet."
  • missveeoh
    missveeoh Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My mom loves her coke. She switched to diet soda but cannot seem to stop. Though she's made a habit of drinking the same amount of water when she drinks soda. She's now leaning towards tea and water.

I hardly drink soda....last time I did was probably 3 months ago? Usually just stick to water or mango juice. I'm sorry I could not help
  • ubattitude
    ubattitude Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this help but I like a splash of diet coke with my rum. :wink:
  • tnpxx
    tnpxx Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Research on diet sodas as lead to quite a few different conclusions so it can be confusing. Some things good to know when drinking them is that because they are sweet but have no calories it fools your body into thinking it's getting sugar and when it does not get the same calories from sugar it is expecting, you end up craving sweet food. If you can keep this in check then it's usually not a problem. Artificial sweetners in high doses over a long period of time can lead to cancer, again, this really shouldn't be a concern as long as you're not downing a two liter of diet coke every day.

I personally don't drink diet sodas. I tried to a while back but my sweet tooth got way out of hand. I just stick to water and tea and occasionally let myself have a pepsi as a treat once in awhile.

Here's some articles that might help answer your question as well (:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/517129-does-diet-soda-cause-sweet-cravings/
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-nutrition-of-diet-soda.html
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I went from drinking regular soda to drinking Diet Soda Stream. It uses a natural sugar and has zero calories. Try it out. You can buy the machine at Bed Bath and Beyond or online.
  • shokes718
    shokes718 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot more than I do now. I still like the taste, but the acid is what gets me. I view the carbonation as something that's ruining the enamel on my teeth. In order to satisfy my craving, I will buy those tiny cans in the grocery store (7.5 oz) and try to limit myself to one a week. If I'm desperate I'll have two, but that still only equates to one full can.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I drink two coke zeros a day, it has not impacted my weight loss at all.
  • SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I know someone who used to drink around 2 liters of Dr. Pepper a day, then switched to Diet & lost 30 pounds.
    It's definitely better CALORIE wise, but who knows what effects the artificial sugar will have.
  • touchafaith
    touchafaith Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of Pepsi Max which I suppose is classed as a diet drink. It hasn't affected my weightloss yet though and I'm trying to cut down a little which isn't really going well. I just love it.
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I say treat it like everything else...in moderation. Enjoy your diet soda every now then, but if you feel it is affecting you negatively, cut back. I personally love Dr Pepper 10, but I can't drink it past 7 at night because it'll keep me awake at night. :smile:
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I know someone who used to drink around 2 liters of Dr. Pepper a day, then switched to Diet & lost 30 pounds.
    It's definitely better CALORIE wise, but who knows what effects the artificial sugar will have.

Scientists who have studied it know, and the results, while real and true, are negligible.
  • juliehartinger
    juliehartinger Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try looking for Zevia... It's a "diet" soda that is sweetened with Stevia which is an all natural sweetener with zero calories. No Aspartame so you don't need to worry about the long use side effects of artificial sweeteners. I buy Zevia at Target.
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calories and macros for the day, drink it.