Do you guys drink diet sodas?

Options

Replies

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've done some reading about soda, diet soda and cancers. The results have been mixed, but some studies seem to indicate highers incidences of lymphoma and leukemia with as little as one soda (diet or otherwise) a day.

My mom has been drinking almost exclusively diet soda for as long as I can remember. Diet Cherry 7-Up in the house, Diet Coke at restaurants. She was diagnosed with lymphoma last winter. That's enough for me to never drink the stuff. If I do, I have it no more than once a week. My Mom has tried stopping drinking it, and she has cut back, but she really likes it and has a hard time stopping. I know this is anecdotal evidence, but its an anecdote that's close to home.
  • doc2zombie
    doc2zombie Posts: 16
    Options
    When I was rowing crew in college, our coach told us we could drink any pop we wanted ... just make it ONLY one per WEEK!!! I changed from that good approach over the years. We just don't need the carbonation, or sugar. I started drinking diet pop, then every day, then more and more. I used to justify it by thinking "it's only DIET". Well, I got up to two liters of Diet Mountain Dew per day. With my new approach to eating and reading labels when food shopping I have changed that. Yesterday I officially quit the diet pop "habit", and all the artificial stuff and carbonation. Our bodies need water ... that's what mine gets now.
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    I switched from being a regular Coke addict to a Diet DrPep, Coke Zero, and Diet MtDew addict over a year ago to stop drinking so many calories (now where is the diet tequila). I love it and drink multiples a day. Other than that I drink those low calorie store brand drink packets that you mix with water. Something has to kill me so I figure it will either be diet drinks or getting hit by a car on my bike.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I used to drink two Coke Zeros a day, but cut back to one shortly after I began my journey to weight loss & fitness. I usually have it with dinner. I know it's not good for you, but my overall diet is so much better, I don't think one diet drink a day is gonna kill me....and it has not hindered my weight loss in any way. I'm sure there are many who disagree, but I'm just not willing to give it up. Other than my morning coffee, the only other thing I drink is water, and lots of it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda and regular soda when I have the calories for it. I drink more water than I do soda.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke fairly regular. I constantly hear how it slows down weight loss or makes it impossible but 15 weeks and 68 lbs. later, I am not a believer.
  • PepePants
    PepePants Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My main issue with the diet sodas are the chemicals. I try not to have any artificial sweeteners as they have been linked to a host of health problems including memory issues, arthritis and joint pain and cancers. Then there's the argument that they actually precipitate sweet binges rather than satisfy the urge for sweet stuff. Also, I love coffee so if I'm going to drink something other than water it's going to be that!
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I seem to have a hard time parting ways with diet coke. Do you guys indulge in diet sodas? And if you do, how often?

I keep telling myself the diet coke is not adding any extra calories to my diet but I have heard that artificial sweeteners tend to pack on the pounds all the same.

What's your take on it?

I posted a link to an article earlier today, from CNN, about a study that just came out that showed that diet soda is no better than regular. It's all over national and my local news right now so you might be interested in reading it :) For me personally, I lost around 50lbs while drinking diet soda in mass quantities (5+ cans a day). It wasn't until after I transitioned into maintenance that I decided to cut it out, because I was sick of having to rely on the caffeine in it (my only caffeine source). After a crappy detox week I've been soda free for about a month now and don't miss it at all, or the cost. I also am no longer groggy in the morning like I used to be-don't miss the caffeine at all.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on everyone's bodies, but I think diet soda is the devil.
    Really.
    I used to weigh 117 pounds. Went up to 126 and in a panic stopped eating and drinking only diet soda.
    And guess what? I stepped on the scale a month later and weighed 140 pounds.
    I cut the diet soda and I am already down to 133 again in 2 weeks.

Is this serious?
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    Good study I was just reading this morning with breakfast.

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/10/diet-soda-may-do-more-harm-than-good/
  • A2Zscents
    A2Zscents Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I love my Diet Coke. I tried to give it up last week and it wasn't happening. I don't drink coffee so it's my only source of caffeine. I figure I have 2 kids, work full time and work out 4 times a week - I need some caffeine in my life. :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    My soda brings all the boys to the yard, and they're like, it's better than yours (water),
    Damn right it's better than yours (water), I can teach you, but I have to charge (because soda ain't free)
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink diet sodas. No calories means no fat gain.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2013/Q3/prof-diet-drinks-are-not-the-sweet-solution-to-fight-obesity,-health-problems.html

Popped up in my news feed today. This professor's career emphasis is on artificial sweeteners and weight gain. This article is a brief overview of her research, but plenty of info based on her studies is readily available.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I never indulge in diet sodas...that stuff tastes like I would think piss tastes. I do occasionally indulge in actual soda...I prefer sodas made with sugar as apposed to high fructose corn syrup...real sugar just tastes better...and isn't the devil.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've never liked the taste of artificial sweetener. I stopped drinking brown sodas almost 2 years ago. No real reason other than I didn't feel like drinking them anymore. I switched to an occasional Sprite (2-4 times a month). It's been about 2 months since I even had one of those. I didn't make a conscious choice to stop, I just found I was craving water and tea more. If I crave one I will order one, just hasn't come up.
  • asteriskrntt
    asteriskrntt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas affect different people different ways. I gave it up a couple of months ago and now drink mostly crystal light or water. I needed to get rid of the caffeine.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you like feeling bloated, ruining your teeth, drinking cancer-causing artificial sweeteners, carbonic acid, and distilled water that leeches minerals from your organs, go for it!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I drink coke zero. I like it. I used to have a massive diet coke addiction and i broke that and drank no artificially sweetened drinks for about ten years until i a) moved in with a flatmate who can easily go through 3L a day, and b) started losing weight.

I go through maybe a litre a week, mostly at work. I drink about 20L of water a week.

I think that's fine.

I will also have the odd cherry coke zero or diet root beer or whatever from the american shop, but as that's always in lieu of coke zero it counts into the whole.