Serial Starters

Replies

• hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    Happy Birthday Annie!!!!
  • Saltine24
    Saltine24 Posts: 143 Member
    Hi all & welcome to anyone who is new!

Thanks for the great advise, still not sure what I am going to do about it, only time will tell!

So I started a walking challenge for September, I decided to walk 120 km this month. I now think I have to revisit & revise for October as I am at 111.19 km and we are only on the 18th, I should be able to complete that goal tomorrow, as I am walking anywhere from 10-13 km per day. :)

Scale is still not my friend as I am still bouncing back and forth between a couple numbers...even with all this extra walking...but I am confident it will start showing my progress any day now...hahaha

Happy Birthday Annie, I hope you have a great day!

Wave to all who stops in.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,328 Member
    x57hvbtgxro6.png

Happy Birthday Annie!
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Sunday night update: thanks again to everyone for the support. Went back to the gym tonight for more training. Feeling better, so I did a bigger workout. As for running practice, I'm doing 45 minutes on the treadmill, however far that takes me; will probably bump it up to an hour as it gets closer to event time.

Tried playing Zombies, Run! - discovered the hard way that it doesn't work too well on a treadmill, despite having a setting for it. Got chased by zombies. App didn't register that I was picking up speed - not even when I was sprinting at 12 miles per hour. Ended up throwing my headphones off while struggling not to scream and almost went flying off the treadmill because of the interruption. From now on I'm only using that app outdoors!

I also need a new pair of wireless earbuds - no, not for the reason you're probably thinking. The charging port broke on the ones I currently have, as I discovered shortly before I went to the gym - ended up using an old wired set today; they almost wrapped up my ankles and made the zombie chase incident way worse.

And, I left my phone at the grocery store because I was too exhausted to think after my workout. Whoops. Have to go in first thing tomorrow morning to retrieve it. I couldn't go back tonight because parking is way too much of a pain, but I called and at least I know it's there.

All that said, other than that it's been a pretty boring kind of day. Tomorrow, it's back to school. Forgot to make lunch tonight and I'm too tired to do it now, so it'll have to be something pretty quick I can make in the morning - I'm thinking one of my "Aggressively Californian" sandwiches.

I love Zombie, Run! I love the way it gets me moving... sadly, my phone crapped out on me and I've yet to install it on new phone. That's discouraging that it doesn't work well on treadmill...I would throw things, too!
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,837 Member

*lifting up sunglasses, looking around for Zombies........shudder.......*
  • tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    Happy Birthday Annie!

Kathryn, can totally relate to the top of the table. My DH has his own business and does the same thing with our table, among other parts of the house. Sigh...On the bright side -- a wedding! Enjoy it.

Hi Saltine! Been thinking about you.... And wow - I was impressed with your walking goal in kilometers, then converted it to miles!!! You're amazing. The scale will catch up to the effort eventually.

The scales finally caught up to my overindulgence (I blame the free-flowing ice cream provided by the C-boys ) so my AOTD is to get through the week without my daily 1/2 cup
    of ice cream. And I'm back to eating oatmeal with apples for breakfast (thinking of you, Sara).

Waves to everyone!

Tess
  • arniedog74
    Happy Birthday Annie! Mine was 17th... just another day to me... but, I got sang to at work, Dr made monkey bread for me, got a super sweet card from Sis and, just enjoyed the day... hope you had a great day!
  • explodingmango
    explodingmango Posts: 171 Member
    Hello everyone - and happy birthday, Annie!

Monday night update: I forgot to take my meds before school. That was...bad. I was sitting there trying to do math and physics but instead my brain was going a mile a minute (usually coming back to the late-October race I'm going to be signing up for - gonna be living a childhood dream and I'm excited beyond all belief, so naturally I'm hyperfixating a little) and my body was just...sitting there staring at the wall and fidgeting madly. Sometimes I feel like my meds don't do anything. Then I have a day like this.

Today was my rest day from the gym, just because I don't have time to go on Mondays.

I'm starting to realize that my disorder still has me pretty bad. Today felt like I was slipping into a binge and I panicked a little. Why? Because after two 3+ mile runs in two days, I decided to have some cake today. Furthermore, just by adding two extra egg whites and beating the batter on high speed for longer than usual, I've managed to make my cakes have twice the volume with what works out to be a trivial difference in calories, which is great...except when I'm still dealing with that "if I even LOOK at cake I'll gain weight" anxiety.

When I reach this point I have two things that usually happen: either "that's it, I've ruined it, I give up, time to eat everything within a 10-mile radius of my house" or "I have to make up for this by not eating anymore. Ever." So...well, my AOTD is, this week I'm going to keep a close watch on myself and make it a goal to stay in balance.

But yes, Zombies, Run! is a great game and motivational tool...as long as you're outdoors. Unfortunately I've felt way too self-conscious lately to go on outdoor runs - maybe building up the courage to do that again should be another mini-goal of mine.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    TUESDAY

Good morning,

Lady over the cubicle wall who I feed milk chocolate cannot take meds as she is going in for surgery and the job is a big headache. I thought I had another bag of milk chocolate. Everything but. So I will go hunting for chocolate for her this week.....

Got an extra walk in at lunch, my salad was dinky and in keeping with my week goal got another 10 minute walk in. Dog will not walk when it is too dark so our schedule will hopefully shift so it will be lighter.

Not even coming close to Saltine's accomplishment - so awesome - that is just amazing. Good for you

Dawn, glad you had an okay birthday - Happy Birthday late!! They lose a little of their sparkle, but they are still important.

Exploding - one day at a time is the best you can do.

Broccoli quiche and flat bread pizza are my go to this week for dinner, so that is a relief. PB2 in oatmeal today.

Wave to all who follow. Lurk from work.

• ASalner
    ASalner Posts: 496 Member
    Tuesday

Thank you for all of the kind birthday wishes! It was a good day, complete with a co-worker decorating my cubicle at work and flowers from my kids. :) I don't really make a big deal out of my birthday but it is nice to be remembered.

Didn't eat as well as I would have liked yesterday. But that is over and done - good plan for today. Eggs for breakfast, salad for lunch, and leftover chili for supper. Snacks are cucumbers, string cheese, and possibly a small serving of peanuts if needed. Coffee and lots of water! No pop! Not sure when I'll get some exercise. Maybe tomorrow night after choir practice I can get to the gym for a walk?

I was so tired last night I was falling asleep in my chair by 8 o'clock - dozed on and off and finally took a hot bath and went to bed around 10:30 - but then I woke up at 4:30 again. Grrr. I'll likely be tired again tonight after a day of work and going to another one of my daughter's volleyball games. She has games three nights this week!

Like Sara said - one day at a time!

Will lurk from work.

Annie
  • hickchic67
    Exp - good that you recognize your triggers and can confront them. as long as you are aware of your reactions in the past, you can work to overcome them now. great work and I applaud your efforts!

Sara - "bags" of chocolate milk? takes me back to my kids elementary years. haven't seen bags of milk anywhere but in their school and they dont have them any more.

saltine - holy cow! you go girl! i really need to get my butt in gear and walk more.

Tess - have you tried ice cream alternatives? my daughter got me hooked on "ice cream" made of frozen bananas, cashew milk, and choc protein powder (or PB2, or whatever else for flavor). Just blend it up until soft ice cream consistency (or blend till smooth and store in freezer. it gets me through my ice cream cravings and keeps me on track for eating healthier. just have to keep portion size under control.

Headed in for mani/pedi this afternoon in preparation for wedding. Will be nice to relax for a minute. I know I will have to get to scrubbing on the house as soon as I get home. DH moved some papers from one place to another and is so proud of himself for "cleaning." <eye roll> I dont understand why he cant sort and file it. Oh well, its his business. I refuse to help him with it, otherwise he would just be dumping everything on me and making me deal with it all.

After the wedding on Saturday, I am going to see my mom. She has not recognized me the past few times I have been up there. Not sure she will even remember she has a birthday this week. The nurses say she has actually gotten up and let them take her out to the dining room to eat. She usually stays in her bed all the time, so that is somewhat of an improvement.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Kathryn -Sorry, I buy bags of milk chocolate (as opposed to dark chocolate). I used to get actual bags of milk when my family lived in Europe. If my memory serves they still can get it that way. You seeing your mother is important for you - continue to do it. The fact that she is eating with others is a great sign.

Need to fly. Lurking from work.....
  • explodingmango
    "One day at a time" is pretty liberating when you have any kind of issue that's cyclical like mine. Committing to permanent change is hard, especially when you've been trained to think that one slip-up feels like all is lost. Committing to trying to stay in balance the best I can for a day? Infinitely easier. "I've restarted a million times; nothing is stopping me from doing it again tomorrow if I mess up today"? Takes a lot of pressure off and, however ironic it may seem, makes it less likely I will do something like eat everything in the house.

That said, this morning the scale was way up and I'm sitting here fighting against my immediate instinct to tell myself "SEE!? It's TRUE! You had cake, you gained weight!" - I know this is just water and food weight (especially since my dinner last night was pretty heavy); I know it takes longer for real weight gain to happen...but my brain is still being a jerk about it. I think I'd better stay off the scale for a week or so.

Talking through it helps a lot, though!

Tess: My solution for ice cream is, Ive just switched to usually getting low fat ice cream (and I've discovered I actually like the texture of it better that way) or frozen Greek yogurt. Depending on the brand and flavor it can cut the calories by up to half. Also, packs of single-serving bars. My current favorites are just 60 calories per bar.

Saltine: Damn, that's amazing! Great job!

At this point, it's time for me to start heading to school. Hopefully today will be a bit more productive than yesterday!
  • LanaCabana537

Hi All~~

I am buried in paperwork today. Almost forgot to stop in! :open_mouth:

Will be back later to read everyone's posts~~

Lana
  • arniedog74
    Sara- thank you for birthday wishes... it is just another day to me.. but, like Annie said, it is nice to be remembered...

Kathryn - yer post about your Mom, reminded me I got some good news about my Gpa... he is walking with a walker... has gone home, last couple Sundays and my Mom took him to church, this past Sunday. He knew everyone at church, but forgot who he had seen, after he left. Mom has been talking to places about getting him help at home... but, it's all about waiting on Medicaid... ugh..I know he will be bad, again... but, I'll take all the good days we can get... And, even if your Mom doesn't remember you, the visits mean something to you. You will always have those memories...enjoy your mani/pedi!

I'm so excited! My friend is coming from Australia! She will be here, tomorrow! She is so brave, making the trip all by herself! She's 21...I am a worrier, because she's young and beautiful.. there are so many bad people... but, she'll be fine... she promised to keep in touch along the way.. she's coming to see her Dad... but, hoping to spend a little time with her...

Well, lunch is about over... gonna get back to work...
    Waves to Lana, Tess, Saltine, Samuels, Mango, Vanessa, enichols (where has she disappeared to?) I know I'm missing people... so, waves to everyone!
    Have a great rest of the day!
  • explodingmango
    Good evening everyone!

Tough news tonight: That Thing is happening. That moment where my body starts throwing a fit like an angry toddler because Ive been in a deficit for longer than it wants, and it starts telling me to eat everything I see because it thinks I obviously need it.

Good news: despite that, I resisted the call of fast food and ended the day on a calorie count right in the middle of my target range!

Unfortunately, I've never been able to determine how to tell the difference between the hunger I feel from my body just wanting to hold onto fat for the NEXT shortage like I hoard healing items in video games until the final boss, and the hunger from my body telling me that I'm actually over-restricting - I'm going to have to watch my performance at the gym to figure out if I need to adjust.

Tomorrow I have my first exam of the semester. After school I'm going to go sign up for membership at a nearby climbing gym as a reward for getting through it.

And, one final bit of good news, I keep finding obstacle course races I want to sign up for, too. At this rate they'll become a regular thing for me - just like I've always wanted, actually. If I do all the ones I want to do, I should have no problem getting in shape for the wedding - and having fun doing it!
  • Tilliesmommy1
    WEDNESDAY

Good morning,

Exploding, when I need to eat and dont, I become seriously kranky and light headed - I dont recommend that. Has your doctor/nutritionist discussed when to know when it is best to eat for you? Anybody know? Love your good news. Obstacle courses use such a good range of muscle. Keep us posted on how that goes.

Another day at the zoo for me. Asking younger person on how to buy a smart phone and plans and all that jargon.... I worked with the elderly at a time when the Internet came out and they wanted to be able to communicate with their children/grandchildren but it was such a leap of technology.... many made it some did not.

Oatmeal is ready and I need to scoot. Wave to all who follow.
  • ASalner
    ASalner Posts: 496 Member
    Wednesday

Good day yesterday. Planning another good day today PLUS a trip to the gym tonight to walk on the track and do some light weights (exercises PT had me doing last spring.)

Today is Day #3 of no pop!

So, so tired again last night. Not sure what is going on. I usually get like this during PMS - not AFTER that TOM. Could be lack of sugar that my body is adjusting to. It is getting dark a lot earlier, so that is some of it. Hope it passes soon as I don't like to fall asleep so early!

Exploding - I agree with Sara. I get sick feeling if I need to eat and my son gets hangry. He doesn't always recognize it and is kind of amazed when he eats and feels so much better and happier. Keep healthy snacks on hand and that will help.

Dawn - have fun with your friend!

Lana - how is the paperwork coming along?

Sara - good luck with the phones. I've had an iPhone for years but still feel like a novice when it comes to apps.

Make it a great day. Will lurk from work.

~Annie~
  • LanaCabana537
    edited September 2017
    Good morning Sara and Annie~~

Annie - I finished paperwork yesterday; it is scanned and sent to attorneys. They will review before it goes to Social Security. Yay!
    Cheering you on about the no pop!

Waves to everyone who stops by later~~

Weight has been up ever since the "picnic" with my neighbors this past weekend. I can't just wing it; I must not only plan and track. I must actually stick to the planned day and not eat extra!

Lana

244.0 today
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal
  • hickchic67
    *waves to everyone stopping by*

Annie - great job on giving up pop! i found the first week to be the toughest. my body craved the caffeine more than anything. sounds like you are doing great!

Lana - good luck with the paperwork. always seems like that takes forever.

SAra - no idea why i read that as bags of chocolate milk. must have been thinking of kids' school days!

exp - i echo Sara's words - has your doctor/nutritionist/dietician discussed meal timing with you? personally, the more i work out, the more often i eat. typically, i eat 6-8 times a day. not big meals but small bites to keep my blood sugar more steady and keep from having serious "starving" feelings. when i let too much time go between eating and i do get too hungry, my head hurts, my stomach hurts, i get nauseous and lightheaded, sometimes even get the shakes. depends on how low my sugar has dropped. talk to your doctor or nutritionist about what is best for you.

Wedding 3 days away now! Still trying to get house deep cleaned. (and still waiting for DH to get his paperwork sorted and filed! grrrr)
    Future DIL is a real planner and has the itinerary written out and planned down to 15 minute intervals. Weather is supposed to be beautiful but hot and humid. Will be interesting to see what my hair decides to do! LOL

*stretching out on lounge chair to bask in the sun*