Serial Starters

Options

Replies

• Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Options
    Missy!! Nice dog photo, scampering off to lunch under the radar.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    WEDNESDAY

Good morning,

Up with dog. Will eat breakfast later.

Dr apt to discuss BP meds. I am taking my knitting and I am her first apt. I hope to have a good discussion and that she hears me. I have things written down.

Nothing else on scheduled for today, which is a surprise, but I think a good thing. With the bad air cant do too much outside anyway.

Wave to all who follow. BBL.
  • ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday/Hump Day, friends!

I hope everything goes well with your appt today, @Tilliesmommy1 ! So sorry to hear about the continual bad air/etc going on near you..

@Twiley510 - you can do this! Sounds like you need to trust yourself and do what you know works for you. Sounds like you had a fabulous plan before. You can do this again!

I am fumbling around and trying to figure out what works best for me. Do I go low carb, low dairy? That worked well but wasn't entirely sustainable long-term. Maybe I could do it for 2 out of 3 meals a day?

This week I am trying the intermittent fasting - the 16:8 version. I'm eating between 11-7. It's honestly not too bad waiting to eat, and I really need to stop my night time snacking so it may be good for me. We shall see!

Need to get back to exercise, though, and I miss running. Going to do some work with some weights after work (after weeks off), and might try to get back into Couch to 5k next week. Running kicks my butt, but mentally makes me feel so good!

Off to try to figure out a healthy dinner recipe for this evening! I'll be lurking. Have a good day, everyone!
  • Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    @ErynVee You definitely have to find what works for you. Thank you for the encouragement!

I'm down 2 lbs today, just water, but at least my legs feel better. I fasted most of yesterday. I ate 2 corn tortilla quesadillas and a small scoop of ice cream last night. A lot of dairy, but it was easy and satisfying after almost 24 hours of no food.

Started today with an apple and a tablespoon of peanut butter. Chicken and rice casserole will be lunch (minor amount of gluten, but I have to finish the leftovers). Chicken and beef enchiladas for supper.

This weekend my goal will be to hit the Farmer's Market and get some squash and maybe some new potatoes to roast. Hoping my favorite farmer will have acorn and butternut squashes. Butternut squash fritters are my favorite things on earth. I need to roll my plan back toward more vegetables.

For my NSV this week, I plan to buy some reed to weave some baskets and keep my hands busy instead of eating all the time.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    arniedog74 wrote: »
    2kqyzphnhrjz.jpg

He's so squishy!

I have got to find a Scentsy dealer again I think. I quit buying all of that stuff when we downsized in 2016, but my youngest that is getting married next summer has plans for a Pooh Nursery when the time comes. She is going for the vintage looking Pooh but she would love this.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Good evening,

Waiting for the timer to beep so I can put the rest of the pork fried rice in the freezer for lunches.

QOTW: With Monday coming what one thing will you work on to keep in better health?

AOTW: For me it will be walking after dinner / dog walk to get more steps in.

Wishing all a good night.

Well Monday and Tuesday blew right past me. I was still on holiday mode. For the rest of the week, I need to eat more fruit and veggies and stay away from fast food. We are getting smoke from the BC fires here so walking isn't as nice as it could be. Maybe I'll have to go swimming.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    hickchic67 wrote: »
    Sara - wow! that nail color is BRIGHT! My all time favorite is OPI I'm Not Really A Waitress. (they always have the wildest names! that must be a fun job to come up with those!)

Dawn - I am working long days this week, so will have to depend on DH to get Gracie into vet. I thought she was doing better when we got home but turns out she is still having the dry heaves just slightly longer between episodes. Poor thing. I feel so sorry for her.

Survived the Jeep trip to TN. Let myself get too dehydrated and had to skip part of the trails, but did get to do a lot of fun stuff like wander around Brushy Mountain Penitentiary (used to be referred to as the Alcatraz of the Appalachians, and abandoned since 2009). Very neat & kinda spooky. Also took a run through an abandoned train tunnel that was over a mile long and run some mountain trails at night. I did not eat as well as I could have but also it was not as bad as it could have been. I just have to get back into a good routine.

I am very sore and tired. I have given up and reached for the caffeine to get me moving. Trying to get back into the habit of logging everything. I did not realize how much of a help that was. When I do log, it makes me much more aware of what I am eating and why (am i bored, actually thirsty, etc, etc)

Weight bounced back up to almost where I was when I started in this group, but am determined to get it back down again.

I have to log everything to stay on track too. I have lost weight twice before and quit logging. This is my third go round, I guess I'll just have to log forever.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Twiley510 wrote: »
    Everyone here has been so inspiring and I appreciate you all.

May I tell you a story?

Let's start with TL:DR. Even well-meaning individuals can sabotage your goals and jeopardize your health if you listen to them.

My story:

About 5 years ago, on the advice of a REAMS test, I went gluten free. A year into the program, I felt better than I have in my entire life. No headaches, no brain fog, no joint pain, no tummy troubles, fewer skin problems, restful sleep in a shorter amount of time. I lost 80 lbs on gluten free, portion control, and yoga.

I remained steadfastly gluten free for nearly four years with only a bite or two slip up here and there. I always paid for those slips with immediate headaches. Flash forward to eight months ago, several people in my inner circle (meaning family members and others who claim to care about me) began to jump on the "It's a fad" bandwagon. Even my ersatz mother-in-law said to me, "I read an article that said unless you are actually diagnosed with that disease, you shouldn't do it."

I was doing Vinyasa/Warm Power Flow and hot yoga six hours a week. That coupled with an hour on the treadmill twice a week and a five mile walk on weekends were my chosen workouts. Not only weight but sizes dropped. Once I started exercising, I went from a size 22 to a size 6 in a year and I stayed under 200 lbs for a full year. This was the first time in my adult life I was able to maintain for more than a month. I was in the best shape of my life at 50 years old.

Despite the visual evidence to the contrary, multiple individuals mocked yoga as "not really exercise." I was so demoralized from the attacks on my chosen diet and routine, my mind said *kitten* it. I'll just eat whatever I want and to *kitten* with exercise.

In this six months, I have regained 60 of the 80 lbs. I can't get out of bed without popping Advil and BC powder and repeat every four hours until I can drag myself back to bed. I can't breathe because my sinus cavities are so swollen my eyes are bulging. My skin is erupting with painful, bloody lesions. My hair is falling out at an alarming rate. My legs and feet are so swollen that my blood vessels are bursting under the pressure. Pressure coupled with the anemia brought on by nutrient malabsorption have caused giant, visible, painful bruises. I currently cannot wear a shoe on my right foot without excruciating pain from the bruise on top of my foot.

Yesterday, I decided to eat as badly as possible. I had a fast food chicken and biscuit with tater tots for breakfast. Lunch was chicken strips, jalapeno poppers, and potato logs. Supper was a hot dog, a hamburger, popcorn, nachos, and ice cream at a ballgame. Actually, the only vegetable I have eaten in a while is raw carrots with my lunches last week.

Today is a new day. I plan to start slowly as I did the first time. No more gluten and restart portion control. Once I can comfortably wear shoes again, walking. I hope to work my way back up to loving an exercise routine again even though I will not be able to rejoin the previous yoga program due to finances. I will do what I can on my own and fight my way back.

If you made it this far, here is the moral: Don't listen to the voices whether they are internal or external. You have to do what you know is right for you.

Thank you for listening.

Tracy

Today's weight 218.2
    Short term goal 195 by December
    Long term goal 115

I will never understand how family and friends who are supposed to love and support you can't just hold their thoughts and opinions to themselves. I have learned through the years not to talk about eating habits and exercise routines of others. Who am I to judge what works for them? I am sorry you are suffering so now, I hope that as soon as you get back to Gluten free you are feeling remarkable again.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Twiley510 wrote: »
    Tracey <3 to you, keep your doctor in the loop while you do this. Otherwise, have at it.

Unfortunately, I don't have a doctor. For over thirty years, I have been unheard and had concerns dismissed by every single practitioner I have visited. I no longer trust the medical profession. I'm pretty sure everyone has had a similar experience, once you are viewed as morbidly obese, everything else is hypochondria. Losing weight will solve all your problems per health care workers. No one wants to look at the root cause of why you are fat.

I have not had this personally, but have witnessed a friend suffer for years. Turns out she had PCOS and that was causing most of the weight issues. Once that was treated she has lost over 80 pounds.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    ErynVee wrote: »
    Happy Wednesday/Hump Day, friends!

I hope everything goes well with your appt today, @Tilliesmommy1 ! So sorry to hear about the continual bad air/etc going on near you..

@Twiley510 - you can do this! Sounds like you need to trust yourself and do what you know works for you. Sounds like you had a fabulous plan before. You can do this again!

I am fumbling around and trying to figure out what works best for me. Do I go low carb, low dairy? That worked well but wasn't entirely sustainable long-term. Maybe I could do it for 2 out of 3 meals a day?

This week I am trying the intermittent fasting - the 16:8 version. I'm eating between 11-7. It's honestly not too bad waiting to eat, and I really need to stop my night time snacking so it may be good for me. We shall see!

Need to get back to exercise, though, and I miss running. Going to do some work with some weights after work (after weeks off), and might try to get back into Couch to 5k next week. Running kicks my butt, but mentally makes me feel so good!

Off to try to figure out a healthy dinner recipe for this evening! I'll be lurking. Have a good day, everyone!

I am a very fussy eater, so any of the low carb, low dairy, gluten free type of diets just won't work for me. I need to be able to eat what I like because it's really very few things. I have been trying my own version of a intermittent fast and it seems to be working well for me. I am very loose with the timings, but I stop eating around 9-930 in the evening and except for my morning coffee, don't eat anything until around 12 noon. Doing this has kick started me to lose again, I had been hovering between 187-189 for about 6 weeks. After doing this for about 3 weeks I am down to 184 as of this morning and one day last week it was 183
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    I had an absolutely wonderful weekend away. It was peaceful and relaxing. Even with the adult beverages and way too many chips I managed to keep my weight in check. I didn't log fully each day, but did log some so I didn't lose my streak.
    On Sunday on our way back we with my BF and her family stopped and did a hike through the Ancient Forest in BC. It was incredible. My BF took this picture of me. She made me look so much thinner than I am, I have to share.
    oox9ubcx9nri.jpg
  • Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

I have not had this personally, but have witnessed a friend suffer for years. Turns out she had PCOS and that was causing most of the weight issues. Once that was treated she has lost over 80 pounds.

I'm pretty sure that was part of my problem as well. I have most of the symptoms including the very visible heavy upper arms. Now, I only have one ovary, but the damage has been done.

Thank you for your insights on the family and friends. I guess I bring some of it on myself by being very vocal about my regime. It's just hard to attend functions and deal with people's hurt feelings when you won't eat the food they prepare.

• LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options

wow - so much going on here!

Tracy - Hang in there dear.
    Tracey - that is indeed a very nice photo of you :smile:

Waving to Sara and Dawn and Missy and Kathryn and Tess and Eryn and Saltine and anyone else who pops by later on.

Program wise, I am tired and uninspired. Eating lightly today....

*flopping onto favorite lounge chair*

Lana

241.4 three days in a row
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal
  • Tilliesmommy1
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Back from Dr apt, taking meds I took before and will monitor my bp better. Looking forward to less swollen feet.

Tracey (snowflake?) Dawn sells scentsy online - Dawn I am almost out of Chai Tea and need you to post your link again when you drop by.

Air stinks so I will go get a cup of coffee and then be in for rest of day. Frozen leftover pork fried rice for dinner and turkey wrap with grapes/banana for lunch.

I just wont mention (hahaha) the half a larry/lenny cookie and kind bar (and serving of peach gelato) that will find its way into my day......

Next month is f/u with pcp, ob/gyn battle and dentist, but this month with dr is all done with apt wise. yippee.

• arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    2kqyzphnhrjz.jpg

He's so squishy!

I have got to find a Scentsy dealer again I think. I quit buying all of that stuff when we downsized in 2016, but my youngest that is getting married next summer has plans for a Pooh Nursery when the time comes. She is going for the vintage looking Pooh but she would love this.

You are more than welcome to check out my site... you can order online and have it delivered straight to your door... it's really easy...I know I'm not local to you, but any time you need/want something, my site is always available! I love Vintage Pooh!

https://DawnLeach.Scentsy.us/party/9585798
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    2kqyzphnhrjz.jpg

He's so squishy!

You are more than welcome to check out my site... you can order online and have it delivered straight to your door... it's really easy...I know I'm not local to you, but any time you need/want something, my site is always available! I love Vintage Pooh!

I am in Canada, doesn't that make a difference in ordering?
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Sara - hope new meds work for you...I wasn't sure I would like Chai Tea, but a customer ordered and I really liked it (she didn't 😐) I do have a party open... this month only 10% off almost everything! Yay! Let me know if you have any questions... thanks!

• hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Snowflake - what did they do to treat her for PCOS? I have that condition as well, but have been told only "watch what you eat" to prevent insulin resistance. I did hormone therapy for a very short time but since it made me very ill and my weight skyrocketed, I had to quit. I am very interested in what kind of treatments she received that allowed her to lose that weight!

Also be sure to contact Dawn (arniedog74) for anything Scentsy!!

• Snowflake1968
    Options
    hickchic67 wrote: »

Snowflake - what did they do to treat her for PCOS? I have that condition as well, but have been told only "watch what you eat" to prevent insulin resistance. I did hormone therapy for a very short time but since it made me very ill and my weight skyrocketed, I had to quit. I am very interested in what kind of treatments she received that allowed her to lose that weight!

I will ask her about medications, I do know that she has worked very hard with diet and exercise as well.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Good evening,

I was told to start new meds today, got to pharmacy, none there, called at 4pm (dr apt was at 8AM), still not there. Called Dr office "oh we were having technical problems" .....like you dont have a plan b when things go wrong? So glad I called them before they closed - just came back from pharmacy. Did not walk away with sweets - but I do have a box of sweet potato chips that are quite good. Now I have to split my meds (one in am one at night). Do not know how people keep their meds straight when they have a lot to take.

Okay, back to work tomorrow. Need my beauty sleep - actually I need a good laugh so watching "birds of a feather- Christmas Special" and then sleeping.

My calorie intake was in the red, but hope to walk more tomorrow.

Wishing all a good night.