GROSSED OUT (rant)

Options

Replies

• gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    YES! I have the hardest time watching my husband eat now that i dont binge like that any more.... i just want to grab the junk out of his hand and throw it away. It really does gross me out. Saying anything starts a fight so i just let him eat what he wants...i cant control him that way.

What a pleasure you must be to have around.

Se is a wonderful pleasure to be around. If you knew her story you would know why she feels this way. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, stop bashing,

I don't have to know the full story. The fact that she goes as far to say that her husband's eating grosses her out is enough for me base my opinion on. :flowerforyou:

You can't control your subconscious biases and internal reactions. All you can do is determine how these will dictate your behavior. She said she doesn't try to control her husband's behavior.

:huh:
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    YES! I have the hardest time watching my husband eat now that i dont binge like that any more.... i just want to grab the junk out of his hand and throw it away. It really does gross me out. Saying anything starts a fight so i just let him eat what he wants...i cant control him that way.

Se is a wonderful pleasure to be around. If you knew her story you would know why she feels this way. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, stop bashing,

I don't have to know the full story. The fact that she goes as far to say that her husband's eating grosses her out is enough for me base my opinion on. :flowerforyou:

You can't control your subconscious biases and internal reactions. All you can do is determine how these will dictate your behavior. She said she doesn't try to control her husband's behavior.

I'm just saying that you can't control when you feel disgust, it just happens. If she was picking on her husband, being rude about it, etc., it would make sense for you to take issue with it, but since she doesn't react this way, why are you so defensive on his behalf?

I agree that it's not a very nice reaction and it's something that maybe she should work on for herself, but you seem to be taking offense to it because you've worried people have judged you in the same way.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

That's because he put his foot down when she tried. If she is truly grossed out, her face is going to speak volumes and who knows where this loathing of his food habits will end up touching in terms of the rest of their relationship.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Maybe this annoying judgmental phase will pass, quickly, before your friends and family notice.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Maybe this annoying judgmental phase will pass, quickly, before your friends and family notice.

Naw. I love commenting with phrases like "are you really going to eat that?", "oh, hell no, that never goes in this temple" and "you know diet sodas will kill you" when I'm out with friends and family. They just love me . . .
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I only get grossed out if they are making a lot of noise while eating. :sick: THAT is disguisting and I sometimes have to walk away depending on how loud it is. But I don't judge by what/how much someone else eats.

ETA and my SO and daughter are such LOUD eaters :sad:

Holy crap YES! I can't stand loud eaters, it makes me want to :sick: Especially people who inhale with every bite, please, please stop :noway: Usually if someone is eating a bunch of junk, it just makes me wish I had some too.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Let's hope
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    How many calories does imagining you are better than others burn I wonder?
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I can't get past noticing "post binge breath."

Me thinks you need to back away on multiple levels.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options

I'm just saying that you can't control when you feel disgust, it just happens. If she was picking on her husband, being rude about it, etc., it would make sense for you to take issue with it, but since she doesn't react this way, why are you so defensive on his behalf?

I agree that it's not a very nice reaction and it's something that maybe she should work on for herself, but you seem to be taking offense to it because you've worried people have judged you in the same way.

Of course that is why. I constantly feel judged by outsiders, so even just imagining being judged by my S/O really hurts me. I really feel for her husband, and I hope he finds someone better. Clearly, he doesn't deserve to have a wife who is grossed out by his eating habits.
  • mushroomcup
    Options

That's because he put his foot down when she tried. If she is truly grossed out, her face is going to speak volumes and who knows where this loathing of his food habits will end up touching in terms of the rest of their relationship.

That's a fair point. I don't know enough about the situation to really say. I just hate when I see people demonizing thoughts when, as I've said, you can't control those. =\
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Is it just me? Is it because I've lost almost 50 pounds and am close to my goal weight? When certain people suck down massive amounts of junk food, I want to run away screaming. Does anyone else have this issue with the non dieter they're living or working with? Let's not even talk about post binge breath. FML

Yeah, it's just you. Well at least it's not me anyways. I never notice this. I guess I'm less smart than you because it takes all my mental energy to figure out what I'm gonna eat to fit my cal goals and then all my emotional energy to KILL IT once I do figure out I can HAVE THAT POP TART.....Do it. To it! Get. That. Pop-tart.

And it's not because you lost 50 lbs. I previously lost 51 lbs, and it's not that I'm trying to trump you seriously look across the boards, I've lost 51 lbs before. (and before you start in on me for losing again, I kept that off for years before gaining due to surgery and needing to lose again now. ) Anyways, I digress my point is I lost more than you and nothing about other people's eating grossed me out. That's them. I'm me. It may be something in your psyche that causes you to think you own his thoughts or habits. You don't. You are only responsible for you. Leave him alone. Let him come to his own ideas in his own time.
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The only time I notice this is when overweight/obese children are involved ... When I see a supermarket trolly filled with just white bread, frozen chips and icecream being pushed by a parent with a coupla kids in tow, I think 'Oh no ... another kid that has to beat a lifetime of bad conditioning'! I immediately snap out of it and think its probably beacuse this is what they can afford and I promptly direct my mental rant towards the Government for not subsidizing fresh foods. With adults, I honestly couldn't care less what they eat, what they wear, who they make love to ... if it doesn't hurt me or anyone else, what right have I to question their choice!?
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I feel like the oddball then. I doesn't gross me out. I rather feel pity for them. Because I was there. I try to be a role model, to show them it can be done. And some are noticing. Without condescension, without lecture. Just by example.

Yep, this
  • mushroomcup
    Options

Of course that is why. I constantly feel judged by outsiders, so even just imagining being judged by my S/O really hurts me. I really feel for her husband, and I hope he finds someone better. Clearly, he doesn't deserve to have a wife who is grossed out by his eating habits.

I'm sorry that you have to deal with that. It sounds like an awful thing to be self-conscious about. :frown:

Edited to add: even though I feel for you and I understand why it's a touchy subject for you, I still think that you're being overly harsh on her, judging (ironically) her entire worth based on one reaction she has.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Naw. I love commenting with phrases like "are you really going to eat that?", "oh, hell no, that never goes in this temple" and "you know diet sodas will kill you" when I'm out with friends and family. They just love me . . .

Oh *kitten*, you would have loved tonights diet coke float that made my paleo husband AND the waiter chuckle in delight when it arrived overflowing to the table in a huge beer mug like so much debauchery.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I only get grossed out if they are making a lot of noise while eating. :sick: THAT is disguisting and I sometimes have to walk away depending on how loud it is. But I don't judge by what/how much someone else eats.

Holy crap YES! I can't stand loud eaters, it makes me want to :sick: Especially people who inhale with every bite, please, please stop :noway: Usually if someone is eating a bunch of junk, it just makes me wish I had some too.

I think it is seriously my biggest pet peeve in life... :ohwell:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

one for you :flowerforyou: and one for OP's hubby :flowerforyou: ..and a sammich, and a beer.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

I think it is seriously my biggest pet peeve in life... :ohwell:

Oh yeah this. But only because while growing up someone used to do it on purpose as a tease thing.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Is it just me? Is it because I've lost almost 50 pounds and am close to my goal weight? When certain people suck down massive amounts of junk food, I want to run away screaming. Does anyone else have this issue with the non dieter they're living or working with? Let's not even talk about post binge breath. FML

Do you think eating like a normal person makes you better than them?

Also just because someone isn't obsessed with their weight like people on here doesn't make them any less human. You lived a good majority of your life not eating like this, and recently have come close to your goal weight.