NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies and gent,

@rickweinberg - Hi welcome!

@gemwolf110 - Yay for making it to the gym! I am excited for you with your new fridge.

@cbabie - I like your CS Lewis quote.

@mmcjtink - Hi welcome!

@trooworld - I hope you are having a great day off and hubby gets a clean bill of health. <3

It is cold and overcast today here today. Hubby will be coming in in a few hours. So I got my exercise in for the day. It was a 5x5 day so I did that first. Then I walked and peddled. I really like watching a part of a movie, it really does pass the time while peddling. The girls are gone tonight so hubby and I will be having fish curry over rice tonight for supper. I am looking forward to a nice spicy meal.

I hope everyone has a nice Wednesday.

Liz

January Goals
    1 January 2017 239 CW 238.2
    1. Log all food 10 out of 31 days Under calories 8 of 31 days Over calories 2 of 31 days Protein goal 6 of 31 days
    2. Exercise 25 hours (1500 minutes) this month 585 minutes
    3. Managing stress 10 out of 31 days

I am being purposeful in my daily actions to become the healthy active balanced person that I want to be.

• cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,569 Member
    Options
    Morning gals:

Sorry I am running late. I have not exercised all week. I have to get back in the mode. I am really looking at my life and what I spend my time on and I want to be intentional with my time. I think the month of Jan is more of a self reflection month to see how I want to best use what God has given me, That includes this body...there is not one piece of it that wasn't created with a purpose in mind. So if I say my legs are too short and fat...is that how they were created or did I help them along the short fat path...I have always hated my legs as they are short...LOL I am short. My grandson was laughing at me last night..the top of my head comes to his shoulder. So my legs may be short, but the get me to where I am going and I can build muscle on my bones, walk and make my bones strong...so yes I am grateful. I do however, have to get back to walking or they become weak. See how I spend my mornings? LOL

I will try to do personal tonight..I have a early meeting and I need to leave here in an hour and I have done nothing to get ready.

See you gals

Cbabie
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,912 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Well, my day off yesterday didn't go as planned. My husband's appt didn't end until about 1:30. We had gotten there at about 8:30, all I had eaten was a small snack of dried figs with walnuts + an apple, and a small fruit cup at noon. Once we got out of that, we found out that my brother-in-law was taken to the emergency room, so we had to go there straight away, no getting any food, my brother-in-law on my mind. He's fine, remember I said yesterday that he was slurring his words? Well yesterday he was with his worker and he fell down. She called the ambulance and they took him to the ER. They diagnosed him with vertigo (which doesn't explain his slurring words) and sent him home, we left at about 4:15. He has to follow up with a neurologist. So, nothing got done but at least my bro-in-law didn't have a stroke, which is what I suspected.
  • rickweinberg
    rickweinberg Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    trooworld wrote: »
    Hello all! Things have been going good over here. No complaints. I have the day off today, have to take hubby to the medical appt and do some things. I hope you have a great day!

@mysticlizard I think that is how I would feel about the snow today at this age. lol I understand about living near your oldest daughter, my brother-in-law is developmentally disabled and lives on his own and we just had to check on him last night because he was talking funny. It was a scare, but he was fine. You never know when they will need you right? That's great that you peddled so much and got a lot of exercise!

@rickweinberg welcome! That's great you are at lifetime. Congrats!

@gemwolf110 wow still so much OT? Great job getting back to the gym! I have a hectic schedule too, and when I do go to the gym, I go at 5am because that is the only time I have.

@mmcjtink Hi there! I think we always have room for one more. Welcome, please join us!
    trooworld wrote: »
    Hello all! Things have been going good over here. No complaints. I have the day off today, have to take hubby to the medical appt and do some things. I hope you have a great day!

@mysticlizard I think that is how I would feel about the snow today at this age. lol I understand about living near your oldest daughter, my brother-in-law is developmentally disabled and lives on his own and we just had to check on him last night because he was talking funny. It was a scare, but he was fine. You never know when they will need you right? That's great that you peddled so much and got a lot of exercise!

@rickweinberg welcome! That's great you are at lifetime. Congrats!

@gemwolf110 wow still so much OT? Great job getting back to the gym! I have a hectic schedule too, and when I do go to the gym, I go at 5am because that is the only time I have.

@mmcjtink Hi there! I think we always have room for one more. Welcome, please join us!

Well, I'm lifetime but I'm. It at goal. I will get there.
  • rickweinberg
    Options
    Well, it is my turn to update. Yesterday went great. I ended the day under calories by about 250. Felt great and woke up hungry. Whenever I'm hungry I just tell myself "good. You are burning up fat stores." I've not formally exercised all week. I did cross country ski on Sunday. Anyway, I'm going to spin class tonight at the YMCA. I'm actually looking forward to it. I usually burn between 400-500 calories per class.

We are experiencing some flooding in this neck of the woods. If the rain stops, which it has for a couple hours, most people should be ok.

Tomorrow is Friday. Nothing special planned for the weekend so I'll just be relaxing and mostly unwinding at home. I'm sure I will exercise. Planning to exercise 5 days in a row. Tonight through Monday. I have Monday off from work due to Martin Luther King day. I would like to swim a couple days this long weekend.

@trooworld Sorry to hear that so much of your day was waisted on your husbands Dr. app. Glad of no stroke for brother-in-law. Way to fit in the gym time. I can't get up early to work out. I try but I just can't keep that schedule.

@mysticlizard I'm not a fan of driving in the snow. I love to look at the snow and I love to be outside all year round as long as I'm prepared. I would take snow in winter any day. It brightens up the gray of the season.

@cbabie it is really important for all of us to be thankful for what we have.

Hope I did not miss any one. Sorry if I did.

Thanks to all of you for the great welcome. ✌️
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Hello all,

Just popping in quick still have yet another meeting to attend this evening. Got my hour of exercise in. Will write more tomorrow. I hope everyone's day went well. <3

January Goals
    1. Log all food 11 out of 31 days Under calories 9 of 31 days Over calories 2 of 31 days Protein goal 6 of 31 days
    2. Exercise 25 hours (1500 minutes) this month 645 minutes
    3. Managing stress 11 out of 31 days

I am being purposeful in my daily actions to become the healthy active balanced person that I want to be.
  • trooworld
    Options
    Hi all! No news about bro-in-law yet, but thinking positively. We had to stay at his house until 8:15 last night and then came home and I had to cook dinner, so went to bed late. Very tired this morning.

@rickweinberg yes you will! Did you make it to spin class? I hope it stops raining there. Enjoy your day off. Thanks about bro-in-law. Yeah it's hard to get up that early, and I don't always do it.

@gemwofl10 thank you!
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,569 Member
    Options
    Wow, I just loved the way you guys "just popped in" to give updates. That is what keeps us motivated knowing we have a place to call home and get support and give support!

My day didn't go as planned either, I let the stress get to me and cried all day it seems. See why exercise is important? That has always been my stress reliever. So I had better get back into my routine.

@trooworld I am so sorry you had the day you did, seems like I got news like that from lots of people. Things comes in seasons...I told someone the other day I thought there were 4 seasons, I have only seen 1 for 3 years... :)
    I will keep you guys in my prayers. I am glad he didn't have a stroke too! However, I want to tell you I love the positivism in your post. Great job for not jumping on the panic wagon.

@rickweinberg Welcome! Glad to see you here among us. I liked your comment about waking up early! When I wake up hungry, I say I wish I wouldn't wake up hungry..but I see I need to change my thoughts on this! :) Do you swim at the Y? I used to belong to the Y, me and my boss/friend used to go after work and to step class on the weekends. I workout at home now.

@mysticlizard great job on keeping on the exercise goals..can you maybe give me some of your drive to get back to exercising? LOL Wouldn't that be great if we could share our drive and goals..when one is tired, we just say here take some of my drive I have some left over and you can use it. (Sorry my imagination sometimes gets the best of me) :)

@gemwolf110 glad you found a seat at the WW meetings..I have never done zumba, not sure I could. Glad you are back in the swing of things, even though you seem to still be going at a fast pace. Remember to take a breather once in a while. :) Enjoy your NEW fridge!! :)

Okay I have to run get ready for my day, glad to see you all here!! :)

cbabie
  • mmcjtink
    mmcjtink Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I just love how you guys are here for each other!! Hope you don't mind but I'm reaching out today I'm really struggling. I just got back on track about 2 weeks ago and I'm doing ok. I don't have a ton of weight to loose but I do have about 20. I have been journaling and loging all my food and also following ww. (Not the new one but the old I did it quite a few years ago and lost) anyway I'm exercising about 3 days a week. In the past I've always givin myself a cheat day. This doesn't mean a go crazy all day but I do eat whatever I want for dinner and have a few drinks. Well this week I really didn't loose anything and I did amazing!!!! Kind of heart broken. But as I went over my journaling I did notice that I'm not eating all of my calories or my points for that matter. So I will make those changes next week. But here is my big struggle (yay she is finally getting to the problem) lol I do feel so much better and I want this to be a life change sooooo when you go out with your friends or your hubby do you stay on track or do you let loose a little and just enjoy that time. If so do u beat yourself up after the fact?
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone, happy Friday! I hope everyone has an awesome weekend.

@rickweinberg - It sounds like you are on track and have your weekend planned out. Swimming sounds like fun. I used to both downhill and cross country ski. Like you say being dressed for the weather is everything.

@gemwolf110 - Even with all the OT you are fitting in your health, good on you!

@trooworld - Keeping your BIL in my prayers. Sorry you day off didn't go as planned. How is the Whole 30 going?

@cbabie - (((hugs))). When you think of me, know I always have some positive thoughts and positive energy for you to have.

@mmcjtink - Welcome! Never beat yourself up, you would not beat up a friend or a family member for back sliding on their eating, treat yourself as you would a loved one. My husband is an over the road truck driver. I do eat more calorie dense food when he is home. I still try to plan a bit and make good choices. When I know when he is coming in we talk about what he wants to eat. I might eat a light breakfast and lunch, or get a few extra minutes of exercise in. When I know it is going to be a real calorie bomb I might make sure to save 100 calories a day for a few days to off set it. But if I go over, I log it and move on. My weight loss is slow and not all downward. I don't know the hows and whys but sometimes I can be very good and focused all week and gain or I can be more indulgent and lose. But I do know if I try to be perfect I will fail. So I do the best I can and try to make more good choices than bad and it is working out o.k. and the scale is slowly moving down.

@theslightedgeforever - I am thinking about you and hoping you feel better.

I got my hour of exercise in, it was a 5x5 day. Then a friend came for a last minute lunch. I had some pumpkin soup in the freezer. I put it on the table with some extra salsa, green onions, tomatoes, and cheese. It was wonderful on such a cold day. Thought I would share the recipe.

Sassy Salsa Pumpkin Soup:

4 C broth (chicken or vegetable)
    One 15 oz can of pure pumpkin
    One 15 oz can of black beans
    1 C canned sweet corn kernels
    3/4 C salsa (mild, med, or hot I use fresh salsa)
    1 T minced fresh garlic
    1 T chili powder
    1/2 T ground cumin
    Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, shrimp, ground meat, anything you can think of, or use as a dip with chips

Spray a med pot with nonstick spray ( I actually use a small amount of olive oil instead) and bring to med heat on stove. Place garlic in the pot. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Add broth and spices, and bring to a simmer.

Add pumpkin and mix well. Add the remaining ingredients, stir, and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.

If you like, top each cup with any of the optional ingredients before serving.

P.S. I tripled the recipe and it completely filled my crockpot.

January Goals
    1. Log all food 12 out of 31 days Under calories 10 of 31 days Over calories 2 of 31 days Protein goal 6 of 31 days
    2. Exercise 25 hours (1500 minutes) this month 705 minutes
    3. Managing stress 11 out of 31 days

• rickweinberg
    Options
    @trooworld Thankfully it did stop raining. No more issue with flooding. I did make it to spin class. It was actually the best workout I had all year. I'm actually working out right now. I love riding my bike during the summer so I bought an indoor bike trainer. My bike mounts right to it. I'm doing a little post spin class recovery ride.

Hope you are doing well. Peace.
  • rickweinberg
    Options
    cbabie wrote: »
    Wow, I just loved the way you guys "just popped in" to give updates. That is what keeps us motivated knowing we have a place to call home and get support and give support!

My day didn't go as planned either, I let the stress get to me and cried all day it seems. See why exercise is important? That has always been my stress reliever. So I had better get back into my routine.

@trooworld I am so sorry you had the day you did, seems like I got news like that from lots of people. Things comes in seasons...I told someone the other day I thought there were 4 seasons, I have only seen 1 for 3 years... :)
    I will keep you guys in my prayers. I am glad he didn't have a stroke too! However, I want to tell you I love the positivism in your post. Great job for not jumping on the panic wagon.

@rickweinberg Welcome! Glad to see you here among us. I liked your comment about waking up early! When I wake up hungry, I say I wish I wouldn't wake up hungry..but I see I need to change my thoughts on this! :) Do you swim at the Y? I used to belong to the Y, me and my boss/friend used to go after work and to step class on the weekends. I workout at home now.

@mysticlizard great job on keeping on the exercise goals..can you maybe give me some of your drive to get back to exercising? LOL Wouldn't that be great if we could share our drive and goals..when one is tired, we just say here take some of my drive I have some left over and you can use it. (Sorry my imagination sometimes gets the best of me) :)

@gemwolf110 glad you found a seat at the WW meetings..I have never done zumba, not sure I could. Glad you are back in the swing of things, even though you seem to still be going at a fast pace. Remember to take a breather once in a while. :) Enjoy your NEW fridge!! :)

Okay I have to run get ready for my day, glad to see you all here!! :)

cbabie
    @cbabie Thanks about your words concerning my theory about "fat stores." I try to look at the bright side of everything. Really no reason not to. I do swim at the YMCA. I'm not very good. Basically all I can do is breaststroke. I've been working on the crawl (free style) for about 3 years. I do not have it down yet. The swimming is great. No stress on any joints. It is nice to swim in the dead of winter.
  • bugmom92
    bugmom92 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hello my wonderful "newbie" sisters whom I have missed this last month. I have been absent due to many factors, including guilt for falling from the "wagon", stress, lack of any time to just sit and relax, illness. I'm a week into the flu, finally seeing a turn for the better. I have gotten notifications all along where some of you "like" my status, etc, and it's warmed my heart. I'm actually typing this on my phone, which I hate doing, but it proves I have no excuse not to get on here and check in. I feel neglectful to not only myself, but you wonderful ladies. I kept stressing over all the back reading I would have to do to catch up, which didn't help. I am starting over from today. I hope you all had a wonderful and joyful holiday season. I am grateful to know that you are here, and I'm returning to such steadfast friends! Being sick this last week and getting nothing done, including having to miss work and get a sub teacher, made me realize that it is impossible to ever get everything done, and I need to focus on the important things. I am going to my garden to put a few lettuce and spinach seeds in, and then back in for a nap. So, until tomorrow..
    Karla :smile:
  • bugmom92
    bugmom92 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    And for the new year I'm getting rid of all the junk food in the house. So I ate the rest of the peppermint bark today. Just wanted to share my accomplishment!
    Karla :wink:
  • rickweinberg
    Options
    mmcjtink wrote: »
    Hi ladies. I just love how you guys are here for each other!! Hope you don't mind but I'm reaching out today I'm really struggling. I just got back on track about 2 weeks ago and I'm doing ok. I don't have a ton of weight to loose but I do have about 20. I have been journaling and loging all my food and also following ww. (Not the new one but the old I did it quite a few years ago and lost) anyway I'm exercising about 3 days a week. In the past I've always givin myself a cheat day. This doesn't mean a go crazy all day but I do eat whatever I want for dinner and have a few drinks. Well this week I really didn't loose anything and I did amazing!!!! Kind of heart broken. But as I went over my journaling I did notice that I'm not eating all of my calories or my points for that matter. So I will make those changes next week. But here is my big struggle (yay she is finally getting to the problem) lol I do feel so much better and I want this to be a life change sooooo when you go out with your friends or your hubby do you stay on track or do you let loose a little and just enjoy that time. If so do u beat yourself up after the fact?

@mmcjtink Sometimes when I'm eating dinner out with my wife or friends I let lose. I never feel guilty about it. I try to remember these things.

1) Everyday can't be a celebration.
    2) This is a life long journey so worrying about one day does not make sense.
    3) Try to find your joy in the people you are with and the conversation you are having and not the things you are consuming.
    4) That restaurant will be there tomorrow so eating "like there is no tomorrow" makes little sense.
    5) Entries in restaurants are so big now-a-days no one should be eating the whole thing. Half of it might even be better tomorrow.

Since you are a WW person you probably know this. In the long term, reward your successes with things other than food. I buy a $.99 song that I listen to while exercising. Or I reward myself with a Netflix show or I take a moment to write a note to someone. The note makes me happy cause I know it will make someone's day.

Don't feel guilty. Guilt can cripple. Guilt causes depressed feelings which in turn causes many people, my self included, to eat even more. Eating our feelings is a common challenge. Beating yourself up for mistakes is not a good way to live. Replace your "I did poorly" to tomorrow is a new chance to shine.
  • rickweinberg
    Options
    @bugmom Congratulations on being back. All healthy decisions should be rewarded. Good work. I got rid of all my junk food and I got ride of all my cloths that no long fit. It makes life easier and takes less time dressing. I did not get rid of anything. I just stored it in a closet.

Welcome back in here. All of us will achieve together.
  • cathyfalcone9819
    cathyfalcone9819 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When you go out pace yourself. The old WW trick of putting your fork down between bites really works. It takes 20 minutes for the full sensation to hit. I suspect that the trend to 39 minute lunch breaks is one of the things that is fueling the obesity epidemic. By the time you grab your food , heat it up and do whatever you have to do it leaves about 10 minutes to eat
  • trooworld
    Options
    Hello all! We made it to the weekend. I'm going to go grocery shopping today, make some Whole30 compliant ketchup, possibly make chorizo too, and dye my hair and do my nails. I'm grateful to have these two days off to relax. I know it doesn't sound very relaxing to do all of this, but I enjoy cooking and I enjoy buying healthy groceries for myself and my hubby. Speaking of hubby, he's getting sick and he's kind of a baby when he is sick so I suppose I should make him some soup as well. lol

@cbabie I'm sorry you had such a bad day. Exercise is definitely a stress reliever. Thanks, I'm trying to be positive about the situation.

@mmcjtink welcome! In the past, when I've done WW (I'm doing something else now), I've enjoyed whatever I want when I go out to eat as long as I wasn't going out to eat 2-3 times a week. If it is just once a week, I just enjoyed myself and tried not to feel guilty about it. If you can't resist beating yourself up afterwards, then I suggest you try to make the healthiest choices you can so that doesn't happen.

@mysticlizard thank you very much. The Whole30 thing is going great. I think I do well with programs that have a lot of rules and not too much freedom lol. I have a challenge coming up, actually two: a potluck party on 1/24 and then another one on 1/27. We are going to bring something that we can eat too, and we are going to eat before we go, but other than that I guess things will go okay. I'm liking the program, what we are eating is tasty and healthy and I'm enjoying not tracking! Your pumpkin soup sounds delicious and I like the name. :)

@rickweinberg yay for doing spin class! I've always wanted to try it but I can't because I have tailbone issues. I'm glad it stopped raining where you live and no more floods. That's neat that you can use your regular bike as an indoor stationary bike. My doctor is always trying to get me to swim, and I have in the past but it's so hard to do! It was easy when I was a kid, but I got halfway across the pool and thought I would drown, luckily I wasn't in the deep part. lol

@bugmom92 oh dear, please don't beat yourself up for a slipup! ((( HUGS ))) If you had a flat tire, you wouldn't go around and slash all the other tires, right? It's easy to say this to you, but I do it too to myself. But try to treat yourself like you would a friend. Yay for getting rid of the junk food, great start to the new year!

• rickweinberg
    Options
    Hello All,
    Yes. I asked most of you, if not all, to be friends with me on MFP. I hope you will accept my request.

The two days in a row of working out are still intact. I'm calling it an "activity reboot." I've had a good week. I'm not on WW anymore. I'm just doing MFP. But some things don't change. Monday is my weigh-in day.

I swam today and did Tabada on the elliptical machine. Now I'm eating a Rainbow Trout that I caught in the spring. I did fry it in a teaspoon of butter. I also like garlic and salt.

Looking forward to having Monday off from work and watching football today. Not sure what tomorrow's exercise will be. Maybe a hike with the dog. Not sure.

Have a great Saturday everyone.
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!!
    @bugmom92.. Welcome back. I am sorry you have the flu. Get better really soon. I saw where you were going to plant some seeds in your garden. What kind of garden do you have? Is it a raised garden?
    @trooworld...I hope your Brother in law is much better. I know what you mean about Doctor appointments not going as planned. I took my Dad to an appointment yesterday and his appointment was supposed to be at 2:00. It was nearly 5:00 when I got him back home. How are you doing with your Whole30?
    @Mysticlizard...Nice goals and you are doing so good on your exercise.
    @cbabie...Sorry you had a bad day with all the stress. Just remember to stop and take some deep breaths. Easier said than done.
    @gemwolf110...Sounds like you are a busy lady but is is great you can still fit in exercise. Have you gotten your refrigerator yet?
    @rickweinberg...I like your 5 things to remember about not feeling guilty. They are good points to remember.
    @mmcjtink...I know what you mean about weight struggles, as we all do. It seems the last 20 pounds are the hardest to lose. I have around 12 pounds to go to reach my goal and it has been difficult.
    It is cold outside in Oklahoma today. We are getting freezing rain in some parts. No outside activities today. Lol.
    Two of my grand-children are supposed to come stay with me for a few days and I am really looking forward to it. My grand-daughter found out she has Hoshimotos and Celiac diseases, which are autoimmune diseases and can be largely controlled by what she eats. That part will be a challenge as she cannot have dairy, eggs, potatoes, anything with gluten in it and the list goes on. We will manage to have a good time and I always enjoy their company.
    Everyone have a blessed day!!!