Where are all the metalheads?

Options

Replies

• Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Went to see Korn and Rob Zombie a couple weeks ago. That count?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    While I still consider myself a big metal head, I've spent an increasing amount of time listening to non-metal as years go by. Still I consider doom and black metal to be my favorite genres.

Right now, according to my play counts, the metal bands getting heavy play are Sojourner, My Dying Bride, Tempel, Vattnet Viskar, and Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats. The rest of my recent played is all post-rock, retrowave, and jazz.

Between Katatonia, November's Doom, and My Dying Bride, my teenage years were defined by melodic Doom. Could never get into the older sludge style Doom that sounded like someone slowed Deicide down to 40 bpm though.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I used to love me some Paradise Lost. Gothic was a great album.

Samael took quite a few twists and turns throughout their career but always maintained a cool sound. I used to put Rain on repeat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    kxbrown27 wrote: »
    I used to love me some Paradise Lost. Gothic was a great album.

Samael took quite a few twists and turns throughout their career but always maintained a cool sound. I used to put Rain on repeat.

Samael and Tiamat were both pretty big for me too, especially the Tiamat albums Wildhoney and A Deeper Kind of Slumber.
  • boogersnotforeva
    boogersnotforeva Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Anxiously awaiting neurosis' new album.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    While I still consider myself a big metal head, I've spent an increasing amount of time listening to non-metal as years go by. Still I consider doom and black metal to be my favorite genres.

Right now, according to my play counts, the metal bands getting heavy play are Sojourner, My Dying Bride, Tempel, Vattnet Viskar, and Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats. The rest of my recent played is all post-rock, retrowave, and jazz.

Between Katatonia, November's Doom, and My Dying Bride, my teenage years were defined by melodic Doom. Could never get into the older sludge style Doom that sounded like someone slowed Deicide down to 40 bpm though.

What?! The slower the better! I am way into funeral doom. Skepticism and Evoken are two of my all time favorite bands. As long as that slowness is in service of good atmosphere and not "hang on while I find out where my hand needs to go for the next cord," I love it. Worship, Tyranny, Shape of Despair, Catacombs, Remembrance... soooo good.
  • kxbrown27
    Options
    Anxiously awaiting neurosis' new album.

Wait. Is this a thing?? *pops boner*

New Dillinger Escape Plan in October so I've heard.
  • TestNamePleaseIgnore
    TestNamePleaseIgnore Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Anyone else listen to Alestorm? Not to be confused with Halestorm.

For anyone that unfortunately doesn't know, Alestorm is pirate metal.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Anyone else listen to Alestorm? Not to be confused with Halestorm.

For anyone that unfortunately doesn't know, Alestorm is pirate metal.

Running Wild is the only pirate metal band for me.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Old metal yes. New metal not so much for this guy
  • whimsicalwattle
    whimsicalwattle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm totally using this thread to find some new to me music, thanks guys!

As for metal, I guess it depends on your definition? I love Rammstein and Nine Inch Nails. Apocalyptica, Atreyu, Bullet For My Valentine and Stone Sour are what I've been listening to lately though.
  • 2muchfnsugar
    2muchfnsugar Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Does Nickelback count??? Hahaha kidding.

I dont know about the really heavy stuff where you can't even make out what they're saying, but I'll take A7x, All That Remains, Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, Mudvayne, 5FDP, BFMV, Korn, and Slipknot all day long. And if you're looking for a more Christian edge, Demon Hunter, As I Lay Dying, Red, and Disciple are awesome.
  • kxbrown27
    Options
    Does Nickelback count??? Hahaha kidding.

I dont know about the really heavy stuff where you can't even make out what they're saying, but I'll take A7x, All That Remains, Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, Mudvayne, 5FDP, BFMV, Korn, and Slipknot all day long. And if you're looking for a more Christian edge, Demon Hunter, As I Lay Dying, Red, and Disciple are awesome.

As I Lay Dying. Shame what happened to those guys. The ones who aren't in prison formed a new band but I haven't heard it yet.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned Coal Chamber but I haven't seen anyone say anything about Devil Driver. It's the project that Dez Fafarra moved onto after Coal Chamber broke up. Saw them open for GWAR without knowing who they were beforehand and I can honestly say they were the best opener of any concert I've attended. Dez has such fantastic energy and a great connection with the crowd. They absolutely rocked!!
  • fatgiraffe2
    fatgiraffe2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm into a lot of styles of metal, mainly black metal, thrash, doom and folk metal. Classic rock is great too.
    My favourites at the minute are woods of ypres, orphaned land, wintersun, sabaton.
    Feel free to add me :)
  • ScottyBeBop
    ScottyBeBop Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Played in metal bands until my mid 20's. Best time of my life. Got to hang out with soooo many cool people. Not its a suit and tie with lamb of god on the headphones :)
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, let's not forget about Rage Against the Machine
  • GettingCut70
    GettingCut70 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Full metal sine 85. Howllllll
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    terakrantz wrote: »
    Going to see slipknot and Marilyn Manson next weekend. :smiley:

Your username makes me think of my favorite in flames song. Metaphor. Not super hard but I love it.

I've used this username since highschool -- I used to listen to In Flames religiously haha.

Used to? Never not In Flames, unless listening to Dark Tranquillity. I am convinced that there's something in the water in Sweden that makes awesome musicians. There's no other explanation for the talent per capita that country coughs up.

Dark Tranquillity! I haven't listened to them in forever!!! yassss.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    But what of viking metal?!
    I saw Eluveitie live last year in a small venue in phoenix. They were great. Tyr was also with them :)