Where are all the metalheads?

Options

Replies

• alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Not too bad. (Jinjer) That's probably the first female metal vocalist (aside from eluveitie, which is more of a folk/metal mix IMO) that I haven't thought was utter crap. I usually like a little more of a melody in the music then what they have in that particular song though.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWHfiEKK3zw
    Battle Beast - Out of control
    Female lead singer is pretty good
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    alyssagb1 wrote: »
    Not too bad. (Jinjer) That's probably the first female metal vocalist (aside from eluveitie, which is more of a folk/metal mix IMO) that I haven't thought was utter crap. I usually like a little more of a melody in the music then what they have in that particular song though.

That's really the only female vocals in metal you've heard and don't think are bad?! Do you just have a general distaste for female vocals? There are plenty of metal bands with good female vocalists. Pick a subgenre and I could probably name quite a few bands.
  • GioFon87
    GioFon87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Rob Zombie, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot , Marilyn Manson
  • alyssagb1
    Options

That's really the only female vocals in metal you've heard and don't think are bad?! Do you just have a general distaste for female vocals? There are plenty of metal bands with good female vocalists. Pick a subgenre and I could probably name quite a few bands.

For the most part, yeah. I usually do prefer male vocals. Though, why, I don't know. I do like Netta Skog though. She's in Ensiferum now and was previously in Turisas. The previous key board player Emmi Silvennoinen (ensiferum) didn't do mainly vocals, but did sing with the other members on occasion. I was actually able to see them perform before she left a couple years ago, at pagan fest. Best show I've been to.

Viking/folk; death; power; thrash; doom etc. I like most, but these are usually my preferred sub genres.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options

For the most part, yeah. I usually do prefer male vocals. Though, why, I don't know. I do like Netta Skog though. She's in Ensiferum now and was previously in Turisas. The previous key board player Emmi Silvennoinen (ensiferum) didn't do mainly vocals, but did sing with the other members on occasion. I was actually able to see them perform before she left a couple years ago, at pagan fest. Best show I've been to.

Viking/folk; death; power; thrash; doom etc. I like most, but these are usually my preferred sub genres.

Ah, if it really is just a preference thing I guess I understand and I don't know think I could change your mind with any examples. Plus if you like power, folk, and doom you have probably heard some of the best lady throatists in metal unless you just outright avoid those type of bands. Here's just a few good ones off the top of my head just in case you haven't heard them.

Draconian (new singer is really good. I think I prefer her to the old singer)
    Subrosa
    Dalriada
    Windhand
    Christian Mistress
    Aldious
    Dark Castle
    Midnattsol
    Silent Stream of Godless Elegy
    Light Bringer
  • alyssagb1
    Options

Ah, if it really is just a preference thing I guess I understand and I don't know think I could change your mind with any examples. Plus if you like power, folk, and doom you have probably heard some of the best lady throatists in metal unless you just outright avoid those type of bands. Here's just a few good ones off the top of my head just in case you haven't heard them.

Draconian (new singer is really good. I think I prefer her to the old singer)
    Subrosa
    Dalriada
    Windhand
    Christian Mistress
    Aldious
    Dark Castle
    Midnattsol
    Silent Stream of Godless Elegy
    Light Bringer
    Dalriada was pretty decent, the melody/music was pretty sweet (a walesi bardok 1resz was my fav); Christian mistress reminds me of heart and the sword, which is a decent sound. Loved the music in dark castle's stuff, the deeper vocals were good, but in general didn't really do it for me.

Before now, I actually haven't heard of any of these bands. The two I mentioned above, I'll probably continue to listen to. They were pretty good in my opinion.
  • SisypheanWorkout
    SisypheanWorkout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I can't believe no one (including me initially) has said Amon Amarth. I love 'em.
  • hicksjordana
    hicksjordana Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Black Dahlia Murder anyone? I'm headed to see Slayer in two weeks!
  • alyssagb1
    Options
    fatguy3382 wrote: »
    I can't believe no one (including me initially) has said Amon Amarth. I love 'em.

Because it's a given :wink:
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    fatguy3382 wrote: »

Yes Please :smiley:
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Older metal, sure. Metallica until the Black album, but the cut I heard off their upcoming album sounds promising. Anthrax came back with a bang with Worship Music and a couple of songs from their new For All Kings album have grabbed me. New Megadeth is great until Dave sings. Maiden, that sort of stuff. I can't get into the guttural 'singing' in some of today's metal.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    undergloom wrote: »
    ...that Judas Priest song that took on a whole different meaning after Rob Halford came out of the closet.

Just the one?
  • born_of_fire74
    Options
    jnichel wrote: »
    Older metal, sure. Metallica until the Black album, but the cut I heard off their upcoming album sounds promising. Anthrax came back with a bang with Worship Music and a couple of songs from their new For All Kings album have grabbed me. New Megadeth is great until Dave sings. Maiden, that sort of stuff. I can't get into the guttural 'singing' in some of today's metal.

Metallica died when Cliff Burton died.

Also Lars Ulrich is the most boring drummer ever.

• jsemdesign
    jsemdesign Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Amon Amarth, Sabaton, Killswitch Engage, Sonata Arctica, Arch Enemy, Edguy, Eluveitie, Korpiklaani, Sevendust... oh yes.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

He also wins several awards for Biggest *kitten* on the Planet.
  • born_of_fire74
    Options
    I love that all of the things the site could be censoring with *kitten* are appropriate descriptions of Lars!
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

I like Newsted too. I mean, Justice was no Ride the Lightning, but it was still a pretty good album. Hammett probably still had some Mustaine inspired material during Justice but it's clear that wasn't the case with the Black album. And yeah, Lars goes to bed at night dreaming that he could be Charlie Benante.
  • born_of_fire74
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Justice was any good at all because it had some of Cliff's work on it, IMHO. I'm so not a fan of Dave Mustaine (dried up old drunk that found god and got even douchier) so it really can't be that for me.
  • NinstonBiller
    NinstonBiller Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Metallica - Kill 'Em all is playing right now.

Might listen to a little Killswitch Engage next.