Rippetoe's Fundamental Flaw

Options
12346»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Funny because I thought his biggest flaw was his complete unwilling to take on board anything that's happening in exercise science over the last 10 years and resorting to telling anyone who offers an alternative to his methods a *pu$$y* despite what evidence may be provided

His latest article on t-nation in relation to single leg training was quite possibly the biggest pile of absolute poop I have ever read.

It's called Douche Karma.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Funny because I thought his biggest flaw was his complete unwilling to take on board anything that's happening in exercise science over the last 10 years and resorting to telling anyone who offers an alternative to his methods a *pu$$y* despite what evidence may be provided

His latest article on t-nation in relation to single leg training was quite possibly the biggest pile of absolute poop I have ever read.

I hope you mean some kind of non-gender-specific Douche, otherwise I'm gonna be insulted.
  • Azdak
    Options
    Competence speaks for itself, it doesn't need a stupid bow-tie and clown shoes.

If that were true, Jillian Michaels would still be taking orders at a Sonic somewhere.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

If that were true, Jillian Michaels would still be taking orders at a Sonic somewhere.

And likewise Dr Oz would still be performing cardiac surgery at a Manhattan hospit....... wait a second.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

*snort cough*

:laugh:
  • Azdak
    Options

I hope you mean some kind of non-gender-specific Douche, otherwise I'm gonna be insulted.

In thinking about your answer, I realized that "Douche"--i.e. the shortened colloquial word for "*kitten*" -- is a term reserved exclusively for males.
  • Azdak
    Options
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Rip has unrealistic expectations and says someone can gain 31lbs of LBM in 11 weeks.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

In thinking about your answer, I realized that "Douche"--i.e. the shortened colloquial word for "*kitten*" -- is a term reserved exclusively for males.

Before we completely derail this thread and get mod-slapped for non-PG-13 material, I was trying to track down something by Dan Savage about the gender-specificity of this particular insult. Let me just say that his argument was that it isn't gender-specific because one could douche orifices that both men and women have. Ahem. But I was of course being humorous, in a manner characteristic of liberated females.
  • alliebeth88
    alliebeth88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well, my gloves DO match my purse. So there.
    :flowerforyou:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure once you pass the age of 15 no ones comments should hurt your feelings anymore, regardless of what they are, unless it's someone very close to you intending to hurt you. People need to get some thicker skin and let the stuff they consider to be BS roll off their backs.

Great point in general but since this conversation is about authority, credibility, and culture, it betrays a pretty significant reading comprehension failure.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure once you pass the age of 15 no ones comments should hurt your feelings anymore, regardless of what they are, unless it's someone very close to you intending to hurt you. People need to get some thicker skin and let the stuff they consider to be BS roll off their backs.

Great point in general but since this conversation is about authority, credibility, and culture, it betrays a pretty significant reading comprehension failure.

Completely inaccurate as you presume I read the entire original post, I didn't once I realized your hurt feelings were causing you to write this. I chose to be ignorent of the entire statement instead.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Completely inaccurate as you presume I read the entire original post, I didn't once I realized your hurt feelings were causing you to write this. I chose to be ignorent of the entire statement instead.
    Jesus Christ.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Lol. This thread went well. Rippetoe is an untouchable god whose every utterance shall be adhered to faithfully.....or laughed off as machismo if it's more convenient to ignore. Got it, thanks.

Btw, I thoroughly enjoyed Ripp's latest article on The Nation praising the philosophy of Rippetoe. "Barbells Cure Cancer and any Style Other than Mine is for Pansies" I believe was the title.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure this was merely meant to be a discussion about something deeper than the surface of rippetoe not being "polite", not a whine or complaint of hurt feelings.

This is why we can't have nice things, people.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

So since you're admitting you didn't even read the whole post (or any of the resulting discussion) you don't even know what the discussion in this thread is about and therefore posted a response that had absolutely no relevance to the conversation. I am dumbfounded.

xHGL6B1.gif
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Funny, I just looked at it as a joke. I am much more annoyed by mehdi's stronglifts emails... Sarcasm and opinions are fine with me, ranting is not.

^This

At least Rippetoe acknowledges that women lift.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

Humor and sarcasm completely escape some of you huh? I was attempting to be funny, I read the entirety of OP's original post I just responded in a manner that matched what I felt was the absurdity of his response to me implying he was originally trying to engage in a philosophical discussion on Rips behavior when I still think he just got his feelings hurt. Just my interpretation. From now on I will be a humorless butthurt pansy like the rest of PC America, that ok with you and everyone

ETA Good God I hate typing on a phone.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

*snort cough*

:laugh:

*giggles*

OP: I think Rippetoe quite often comes off as a serious douchecanoe... as do a lot of the big "fitness" names. As pointed out earlier, Wendler has a chapter in his book about staying "North of Vag."

However, when I need to see form demonstrated, I look him up (Rippetoe) on YouTube. It's easy in this day and age to take what you need and discard the rest.

Edit: clarification
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    hey delicious_cocktail, I agree with you that such a close-minded, homophobic and misogynistic outlook can be seriously off-putting and annoying, especially when it's coming from someone that you want to admire and respect..

Amusing yet sad to see so many condescending and snarky comments on here blindly defending their precious and flawless Lord Rippetoe :laugh:

We can't do much about the douchebaggery of others but we CAN strive to not become *kitten* ourselves -- keeping our egos in check, helping others who are beginners, being mindful and inclusive of people who want to weightlift but do not fit the traditional "macho" image...and in the meantime ignore the BS and keep training!!!