Done with fast food.

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how fast food makes some people sick when they don't eat it frequently. I have always eaten fast food maybe once every few months even before I started dieting and eating it sparingly never makes me sick or makes me hate the taste of it. I'm curious what causes that if it's not the frequency.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how fast food makes some people sick when they don't eat it frequently. I have always eaten fast food maybe once every few months even before I started dieting and eating it sparingly never makes me sick or makes me hate the taste of it. I'm curious what causes that if it's not the frequency.

My husband gets sick off of it... I think it's "in his head" though, honestly, like he knows it's "not good for you" so he feels bad about it and gets sick. Personally I don't think any food is "bad" so when I crave it, I eat it, and thoroughly enjoy it!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I almost never eat it, but every once in a while do during a car trip. Got a small burger and fries from Culver's on my way back from Madison in June which was my first time in almost a year and wasn't sick at all.

I guess some people have more sensitive systems than I do, or something. ;-)
  • smelliefeet
    smelliefeet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Definitely do what is right for you and your body!

I have a slightly different perspective: I've always been lactose intolerant, so I've never eaten dairy. I've also never eaten fast food or drank soda (or what is considered "junk food" for that matter) and guess what? I still became obese!

You can become obese by eating what is considered a conventionally healthy diet. I did. I still don't eat dairy or fast food or soda - I've just never liked it - but now I meticulously track my calories (every ounce of carrot, pepper, or hard boiled egg I eat!) and I'm finally losing weight :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    It's like how I can't eat sausage of any sort any more. Part age, part being unused to such things any longer. I'll get bloated and nauseated and miserable. Things that are high in fat do this to me. There have been ppl in the family with gallstones. I hope I don't get added to that list. too many problems already.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I love fast food way too much to give it up completely. Having said that, I tend to make smarter choices now, or make darn sure I have the calories available for it when I do indulge. ;) Flexible dieting means that you can eat what you want/love as long as you stay within your macros and calorie goals. In the end it's about the calories rather than what you eat (in my opinion). Low carb dieters will argue that, but generally they subsist on more protein and fat than carbs which keeps their calorie levels under control more than they think (as long as they replace the carbs with mostly protein). Carbs = 4 calories per gram. Protein is the same at 4 calories per gram. If you reduce the carbs, you get extra calories for fat or protein. You can honestly tip the scales however you want, and if you aren't really worried about nutrition (which you should be, although it really has little to do with weight loss) then you can eat mostly protein and fat and lose weight thinking it's the low carb diet that's causing the loss when it's more likely that you're simply eating less calories than you need by avoiding the carbs.

I'll also have to agree though, if done right you can make much better (and healthier) versions of the foods you get at fast food chains at home. There are a few recipes I have not mastered but I can make a Big Mac that tastes much better than the one at McD's and it's less calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

It never makes me sick. It does make me feel awful from the sodium most of the time though. The only time I got sick was when I splurged on a waffle sundae at Rita's - spent hours in the bathroom after. Never again.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    JasonL2000 wrote: »
    It's not fast food that makes you fat, it's the choices you make when you decide to eat out! Ever heard of John Cisna? He lost weight and improved his blood work eating nothing but McDonald's! I'm not recommending such a thing, just saying it's YOU not the restaurants.

I am not familiar with this specific case. However I can offer a counter case to it: the supersize me documentary. The documentarian ate macdonalds for every meal and by the end of the period of time used to make the documentary his doctor basically told him stop or he will kill himself. He then asked how often would eating macdonalds be considered healthy, the reply was never. I however would offer a counterpoint that the choices you make can be worse than others. But I would be leery of saying it is ok to eat nothing but fast food. The calories, fat, protein, and carbs are there but everything else of essential nutrients are more than likely not.

The big difference is the McDonald's guy at at a deficit and exercised. The Supersize Me guy overate and was sedentary.

You mean not exercising and eat more than you burn causes weight gain? no way! [jk, I saw the doc]. What I want to know is what Morgan Spurlock thought would happen. Of course super sizing every meal is going to bad news.

Easy, he knew exactly what was gonna happen yet he made it out like it's the food's fault because fear mongering sells views and clicks better than information.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    JasonL2000 wrote: »
    It's not fast food that makes you fat, it's the choices you make when you decide to eat out! Ever heard of John Cisna? He lost weight and improved his blood work eating nothing but McDonald's! I'm not recommending such a thing, just saying it's YOU not the restaurants.

I am not familiar with this specific case. However I can offer a counter case to it: the supersize me documentary. The documentarian ate macdonalds for every meal and by the end of the period of time used to make the documentary his doctor basically told him stop or he will kill himself. He then asked how often would eating macdonalds be considered healthy, the reply was never. I however would offer a counterpoint that the choices you make can be worse than others. But I would be leery of saying it is ok to eat nothing but fast food. The calories, fat, protein, and carbs are there but everything else of essential nutrients are more than likely not.

The big difference is the McDonald's guy at at a deficit and exercised. The Supersize Me guy overate and was sedentary.

You mean not exercising and eat more than you burn causes weight gain? no way! [jk, I saw the doc]. What I want to know is what Morgan Spurlock thought would happen. Of course super sizing every meal is going to bad news.

He knew exactly what would happen. He wanted to make a documentary and knew uninformed, easily manipulated morons would be swayed by it. The overriding obvious outcome is still lost on some people who point to that documentary like its some kind of smoking gun against the fast food industry.

Luckily there are people that watched it with a :huh: and immediately identified how ridiculous it was.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I used to have Mcdonalds regularly and loved it. I've had it twice in the last 18mths and both times i felt like crap afterwards.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I almost never eat it, but every once in a while do during a car trip. Got a small burger and fries from Culver's on my way back from Madison in June which was my first time in almost a year and wasn't sick at all.

I guess some people have more sensitive systems than I do, or something. ;-)

How can you stop at a Culver's and not get custard? That should be a crime!
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't cut it out but I definitely eat way less of it. It's usually just too difficult to work into my calories. I had Wendy's a couple weeks ago and the only thing I could get was a chicken sandwich (the plain, cheap kind). I even used my own mayo. That ended up being 400 calories, and I wasn't the least bit full. I think Panera and Chipotle are good though, at Chipotle I can get a bowl that's filling for 600 calories and at Panera I can get soup and half a sandwich which is also pretty filling for around 600 calories too. I don't think you need to cut out fast food, just know which places to go to and what to get. :)
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I normally go to Subway, Jimmy Johns, or Qudoba. Occasionally I like Taco Bell. I only eat fast food maybe once a week at most.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    In moderation yes
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options

I think it depends on your diet. When I was working in the states, fast food didn't brother me even when I didn't eat that much of it. However after a few years in Japan, the smell of McDonald's fries is sickening. It is ironic that Japanese don't normally go for a lot of fries and the sizes are small compared to US sizes, however some tourist really go for McDonalds fries. Anyway my diet in Japan is quite different than my diet in the US was. A lot more fruit and vegetables in Japan, way more ...

The tourists I see hitting McDonalds really leads me to believe these people are addicted somewhat to the food. Why on earth when you are surrounded by many wonderful food choices would you go to McDonalds when you are a tourist? I often see these types of tourists when I'm running or riding around the Imperial palace park. If they aren't having a picnic with food from McDonalds it seems they are slowly walking looking at their phones. They are at one of the most iconic scenic spots in Japan and they aren't talking in the sites or tastes of it. Strange when you consider they probably paid a fortune to be there.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    dykask wrote: »

I think it depends on your diet. When I was working in the states, fast food didn't brother me even when I didn't eat that much of it. However after a few years in Japan, the smell of McDonald's fries is sickening. It is ironic that Japanese don't normally go for a lot of fries and the sizes are small compared to US sizes, however some tourist really go for McDonalds fries. Anyway my diet in Japan is quite different than my diet in the US was. A lot more fruit and vegetables in Japan, way more ...

The tourists I see hitting McDonalds really leads me to believe these people are addicted somewhat to the food. Why on earth when you are surrounded by many wonderful food choices would you go to McDonalds when you are a tourist? I often see these types of tourists when I'm running or riding around the Imperial palace park. If they aren't having a picnic with food from McDonalds it seems they are slowly walking looking at their phones. They are at one of the most iconic scenic spots in Japan and they aren't talking in the sites or tastes of it. Strange when you consider they probably paid a fortune to be there.

I work for a global company. When colleagues from Japan come to visit they want to go out for sushi and go to Target. Shouldn't they be wanting to experience the local cuisine and culture, according to your example?
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    dykask wrote: »

I work for a global company. When colleagues from Japan come to visit they want to go out for sushi and go to Target. Shouldn't they be wanting to experience the local cuisine and culture, according to your example?

Big difference between people traveling on business and tourist, big difference between McDonalds and a sushi restaurant. However I'm sure that many Japanese would avoid any Japanese food on a short trip. It still doesn't explain why some tourists seem to flock to a place like McDonalds.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    It's like how I can't eat sausage of any sort any more. Part age, part being unused to such things any longer. I'll get bloated and nauseated and miserable. Things that are high in fat do this to me. There have been ppl in the family with gallstones. I hope I don't get added to that list. too many problems already.

I think this may have something to do with it. My diet was always quite high in fat and carbs, the usual combination in many fast foods. Not nutritionally devoid by any means, just high in fat. Think more along the lines of a fatty mediterranean diet. It's generally lower in fat now, but it's not low fat by any means. Maybe people who diet get "unused" to certain macros or macro combinations. Add to that the total shift in the kinds of food eaten for some people who diet, while the kinds of food I eat have not changed much. Some psychological "bad food" associations after eating "good food" for so long may also contribute.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Very seldom eat it. Doesn't make me sick, but about 1/2 hour later there better be a toilet close by.