Options
123457»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's interesting how fast food makes some people sick when they don't eat it frequently. I have always eaten fast food maybe once every few months even before I started dieting and eating it sparingly never makes me sick or makes me hate the taste of it. I'm curious what causes that if it's not the frequency.

I almost never eat it, but every once in a while do during a car trip. Got a small burger and fries from Culver's on my way back from Madison in June which was my first time in almost a year and wasn't sick at all.

I guess some people have more sensitive systems than I do, or something. ;-)

How can you stop at a Culver's and not get custard? That should be a crime!

Don't eat fast food often, but Culvers is probably my go go fast food. In general much cleaner than most. I have no problem not eating custard or any dessert item there. Not what I'm looking for in my nutritional plan.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    It's interesting how fast food makes some people sick when they don't eat it frequently. I have always eaten fast food maybe once every few months even before I started dieting and eating it sparingly never makes me sick or makes me hate the taste of it. I'm curious what causes that if it's not the frequency.

Very seldom eat it. Doesn't make me sick, but about 1/2 hour later there better be a toilet close by.

See, this is part of why I believe at least some of it is mental. Fast food is way to complex to reach the intestines within half an hour.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I almost never eat it, but every once in a while do during a car trip. Got a small burger and fries from Culver's on my way back from Madison in June which was my first time in almost a year and wasn't sick at all.

I guess some people have more sensitive systems than I do, or something. ;-)

How can you stop at a Culver's and not get custard? That should be a crime!

Heh, I don't go often enough to remember that. I should have!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    dykask wrote: »
    The tourists I see hitting McDonalds really leads me to believe these people are addicted somewhat to the food. Why on earth when you are surrounded by many wonderful food choices would you go to McDonalds when you are a tourist?

I never go to McD's at home. I did go once when in Italy (Naples), even though eating is one of the prime joys of being in Italy. Reasons: (1) I'd been there for nearly 2 weeks and was missing home a bit and even though I don't do McD at home (hate it, if I wanted fast food there are many other choices I'd pick before it), it seemed still a taste of home; (2) I was curious what a McD in Italy would be like; (3) my friend and I were kind of lost and it was an easy and available place to sit down and take time to get sorted out while having a quick meal; and (4) we'd been to many Italian eating places and would be doing that again in the evening, and normal lunch was just buying something quick and sitting outdoors anyway.

I also got Chinese my first night in Rome on another trip, since it was close to the hotel, open and quick, we were jet lagged, and I was curious what a Chinese restaurant in Rome would be like.

But I'm sure you can judge exactly what's going on when people vacation.

I see tourists on Michigan Ave taking photos of themselves next to stores all the time, which I find bizarre (it's basically a huge mall), but then I recall the first time I went to France I took a photo at the Galeries Lafayette, since I was so excited to be in Paris and it was a place people had heard of as much as the Eiffel Tower and Louvre and Champs Elysees. I am more puzzled about why tourists go to the nightmare that is Navy Pier here, but who am I to judge? -- I don't know their stories.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I think it depends on your diet. When I was working in the states, fast food didn't brother me even when I didn't eat that much of it. However after a few years in Japan, the smell of McDonald's fries is sickening. It is ironic that Japanese don't normally go for a lot of fries and the sizes are small compared to US sizes, however some tourist really go for McDonalds fries. Anyway my diet in Japan is quite different than my diet in the US was. A lot more fruit and vegetables in Japan, way more ...

The tourists I see hitting McDonalds really leads me to believe these people are addicted somewhat to the food. Why on earth when you are surrounded by many wonderful food choices would you go to McDonalds when you are a tourist? I often see these types of tourists when I'm running or riding around the Imperial palace park. If they aren't having a picnic with food from McDonalds it seems they are slowly walking looking at their phones. They are at one of the most iconic scenic spots in Japan and they aren't talking in the sites or tastes of it. Strange when you consider they probably paid a fortune to be there.

I work for a global company. When colleagues from Japan come to visit they want to go out for sushi and go to Target. Shouldn't they be wanting to experience the local cuisine and culture, according to your example?

Big difference between people traveling on business and tourist, big difference between McDonalds and a sushi restaurant. However I'm sure that many Japanese would avoid any Japanese food on a short trip. It still doesn't explain why some tourists seem to flock to a place like McDonalds.

Japanese people eating sushi in the Midwest of the US is about the same as McDonalds in Japan. At any rate, there are lots of explanations... people are curious if it's the same, if there are different menu items or if their usual selections taste different, or maybe they are just craving a taste of home - unused to a foreign cuisine. We spent extended time in Florence a couple years ago and went to McDonald's, mostly for the kids but it was fun seeing pizza and pasta on the menu.

The least likely reason is that McDonalds is addictive as you claimed originally...
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I have found that once you don't have it for a couple weeks you'll stop caving it but man those weeks are hard!

Just make it at home when you crave it. Seriously, I can't even imagine going to McDonald's for a burger anymore after just making my own...

I can't make anything close to McD fries though. Occasionally I wills top and just get a medium fry to have with my crock pot meat.

Double fry it. Also, McD's use amino acids from meat, aka beef extract to flavor their fries.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

Very seldom eat it. Doesn't make me sick, but about 1/2 hour later there better be a toilet close by.

See, this is part of why I believe at least some of it is mental. Fast food is way to complex to reach the intestines within half an hour.

It's possible fast food irritates the lining of the intestines in some people and causes someone to have to go, but what comes out is not from the meal, but the food from day before. Caffiene does this to me.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Well something is going on. "Normal" food doesn't impact me that way. Also back in the college dorm days, many of the dorm mates were in the bathroom not long after a meal.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Well something is going on. "Normal" food doesn't impact me that way. Also back in the college dorm days, many of the dorm mates were in the bathroom not long after a meal.

This is the natural effect of having a large meal. It's not specific to fast food. Many mammals have that. If you allow your dog to go at will, you will notice it happens in dogs too right after a meal. Fast food meals tend to be heavy so trigger that effect. You're just less likely to notice it after normal heavy meals because you're just not looking for it.

I don't know, it may be something else, I just find it fascinating. It has nothing to do with fast food, but my mom always has an upset stomach when she re-introduces animal protein after lent every single year after 40 something days of eating basically vegan. Makes me curious if it's mostly mental because it was like she had a very bad reaction one year, and it may have affected her persception and made her expect it every year after that or if there really is something physical happening.
  • druidkat7
    druidkat7 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    As far as fast food goes: I think if I had to drop all but one fast food place, that fast food place I'd keep would be Subway. I love their nutrition info, and I LOVE the fact they have avocado and guacamole, plus they have salad versions of their subs, and I can get my pizza fix on with their mini pizzas. Subway FTW!!!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Makes me curious if it's mostly mental because it was like she had a very bad reaction one year, and it may have affected her persception and made her expect it every year after that or if there really is something physical happening.

I know this happens with longer times off meat, but not sure if 40 days would normally be enough. They do tell you if you cut something out to reintroduce gradually. I went plant-based for Lent one year and normally go vegetarian and have never had a reaction (and I always have lots and lots of lamb on Easter).

The psychological thing seems likely: I threw up as a kid (stomach bug) after eating some peach cobbler and was off peaches in all forms for ages after that. It was only into my 20s that I got over it. (Thank goodness, as peaches are now one of my favorite foods ever.)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

I think it depends on your diet. When I was working in the states, fast food didn't brother me even when I didn't eat that much of it. However after a few years in Japan, the smell of McDonald's fries is sickening. It is ironic that Japanese don't normally go for a lot of fries and the sizes are small compared to US sizes, however some tourist really go for McDonalds fries. Anyway my diet in Japan is quite different than my diet in the US was. A lot more fruit and vegetables in Japan, way more ...

The tourists I see hitting McDonalds really leads me to believe these people are addicted somewhat to the food. Why on earth when you are surrounded by many wonderful food choices would you go to McDonalds when you are a tourist? I often see these types of tourists when I'm running or riding around the Imperial palace park. If they aren't having a picnic with food from McDonalds it seems they are slowly walking looking at their phones. They are at one of the most iconic scenic spots in Japan and they aren't talking in the sites or tastes of it. Strange when you consider they probably paid a fortune to be there.

I work for a global company. When colleagues from Japan come to visit they want to go out for sushi and go to Target. Shouldn't they be wanting to experience the local cuisine and culture, according to your example?

Big difference between people traveling on business and tourist, big difference between McDonalds and a sushi restaurant. However I'm sure that many Japanese would avoid any Japanese food on a short trip. It still doesn't explain why some tourists seem to flock to a place like McDonalds.

Japanese people eating sushi in the Midwest of the US is about the same as McDonalds in Japan. At any rate, there are lots of explanations... people are curious if it's the same, if there are different menu items or if their usual selections taste different, or maybe they are just craving a taste of home - unused to a foreign cuisine. We spent extended time in Florence a couple years ago and went to McDonald's, mostly for the kids but it was fun seeing pizza and pasta on the menu.

The least likely reason is that McDonalds is addictive as you claimed originally...

That's why I go to known places to eat. U.S. McDs doesn't serve gravied fries, but in Canada, it's so common you trip over it. Hubby always goes for poutine in new restaurants because he's curious how it compares in taste to other poutines. Chicken shwarma from the nearby Syrian place is the best so far. When I first got to Canada and wanted to try Subway, I learned they use totally different meats for the Cold Cut Combo and I absolutely hated it.

I think most tourists in a new country want to go to places they have from home as a comfort.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i love fast food. if i have room, i'll eat cheesburgers and custard and grilled chicken salads and sandwiches.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

That's why I go to known places to eat. U.S. McDs doesn't serve gravied fries, but in Canada, it's so common you trip over it. Hubby always goes for poutine in new restaurants because he's curious how it compares in taste to other poutines. Chicken shwarma from the nearby Syrian place is the best so far. When I first got to Canada and wanted to try Subway, I learned they use totally different meats for the Cold Cut Combo and I absolutely hated it.

I think most tourists in a new country want to go to places they have from home as a comfort.

I would say "some", not "most". I go pretty far out of my way to avoid eating, doing, buying stuff I could at home when I travel, and I think that's a fairly common attitude. Getting out of my comfort zone is the whole point of why I leave home. I have had some pretty heinous fast food meals at airports abroad though...

I'm the one eating guinea pig off a stick from the side of the road in rural Peru or making it a mission to try every species of antelope in subsaharan Africa. I'll try any food once, especially when it comes to local specialties.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with fast food if you can make it fit in your diet and are getting a good range of micronutrients as well as hitting your macro goals. I like vegetables too much to make it a major part of my diet (especially as I don't really enjoy "healthier" fast-food options like Subway, I just don't think it tastes great, sad precooked meat and spongy bread and anemic veg...) but hey, sometimes I just want some fries or some of that partially-hydrogenated soft serve ice cream, know what I mean? It's never had a detrimental effect on my goals or health. It's not great food in my opinion, mostly it just doesn't taste like anything special to me, but taste is subjective so who am I to judge what other people are into?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

My personal experience is that it makes a difference what you eat when you don't eat fast food and what is meant by 'fast food'. A lot of people simultaneously decide to stop eating fast food (often the more fatty foods) and make a dramatic dietary change (like to a much lower fat or whole foods diet).

Do that for a while and then go have a 'typical' fast food (not a salad, or a bare bones hamburger) and you're pretty likely to feel crummy. It's most likely the increased fat and decreased fiber. I can tell you that the same phenomenon is easily replicated with non-fast food. I've done it unintentionally - switched to eating almost exclusively grilled chicken, steamed veg, raw fruit and some bread for several months while sports training on a trainer's advice. When the competition was over, it took more than a year before I could eat fattier foods (especially hamburger and steak) without severe intestinal upset.

But, I love me fattier foods so I bravely soldiered on - and made sure I had restroom access soon after all meals :wink:
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2016
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

My personal experience is that it makes a difference what you eat when you don't eat fast food and what is meant by 'fast food'. A lot of people simultaneously decide to stop eating fast food (often the more fatty foods) and make a dramatic dietary change (like to a much lower fat or whole foods diet).

Do that for a while and then go have a 'typical' fast food (not a salad, or a bare bones hamburger) and you're pretty likely to feel crummy. It's most likely the increased fat and decreased fiber. I can tell you that the same phenomenon is easily replicated with non-fast food. I've done it unintentionally - switched to eating almost exclusively grilled chicken, steamed veg, raw fruit and some bread for several months while sports training on a trainer's advice. When the competition was over, it took more than a year before I could eat fattier foods (especially hamburger and steak) without severe intestinal upset.

But, I love me fattier foods so I bravely soldiered on - and made sure I had restroom access soon after all meals :wink:

I'm not so sure about this. I eat a whole foods diet for the most part (although not low fat and I do go out to eat often, but to the kinds of places that name the farms the foods come from or various local ethnic places, not chains). Yet, I don't have any reaction to a burger and fries, as noted above (re Culvers), and am not really sure why I would. I do think it's possibly low fat vs. not (I do notice that fast food tends to be higher fat than what I normally eat, and I don't do low fat -- more like 30% -- and also don't feel great if I substantially up my fat), but mostly mental. Can't imagine fiber would matter since it's one meal -- I won't end up low fiber on a day just because I have one low fiber meal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Went to Six Flags and had to have fast food... Had some tacos.

BLEH.