Dark chocolate do people know why?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Before I start I have a confession I'm no dietitian or fitness guru but, recently I've started to take my nutrition seriously and by doing this I now understand why I need to eat or supplement certain things. I look back and was amazed at how much *kitten* I bought into. Testosterone boosters=*kitten* BCAA not needed if your diet is high in animal protein. And all other heavily marketed supplements that the companies sell. If you want to find out if I'm chatting *kitten* please look through examine.com

Anyway dark chocolate do people actually know why it's good for them? I've recently started having 2 squares of 85% cocoa after my workout with a protein shake and the looks I get is amazing. Just got me thinking do people actually know what is in certain foods and why they take certain supplements. I don't have the time nor the patience to explain myself in the gym but like to vent it here.

Please feel free to say why you take certain supplements. I'm curious.

I have Lyme disease and Psoriasis so I take the following supplements:

Zinc, because it helps Boost the immune response (helps fight skin infections)

Magnesium, to help repair Nerves, muscles, bones, and the heart (inflamed nerves & ligaments)

Flaxseed Oil, for the Omega 3 (I don't like fish oil) helped bring down my triglyceride levels

Probiotic, Because of all the antibiotics I have had to take that kill gut bacteria

Viactiv Calcium Chews w/D&K, Not enough Calcium or D in my diet (per blood results)

Biotin, for Skin rashes, high blood levels of cholesterol

Blood Pressure Pill , Doctor prescribed low dose w/diuretic

The probiotic I take is designed to withstand stomach acid in order to make it to the intestines.
    I am also researching Keratin supplements to help with my nails, do to the psoriasis they are becoming brittle and dry, and a couple are split all the way down to the nail bed.

• faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    faramelee wrote: »
    brower47 wrote: »
    inezbruce wrote: »
    inezbruce wrote: »
    Less carbs!

More fat! Lots of calories!

An avocado has more fat then a chicken breast, its not always a bad thing :)
    The ingredients in lidnt 90% are far better then in Cadburys dairy milk.

The ingredients aren't "far better". They are different. If I'm in my calorie goal for the day, have eaten nutritionally dease foods and have room for a nutritionally sparse food like chocolate, I don't get bonus points for eating the dark above the milk chocolate.

Dark chocolate is not a super food. It's a nutritionally sparce food compared to a plethora of other foods. People who chose to eat it should if they like it but hopefully they aren't deluding themselves into thinking they've somehow made themselves healthier by choosing it over any other nutritionally sparce treat despite what "research" a Google search and the resulting dozens of buzzfeed type articles will claim.

Minimally processed dark chocolate is nutritionally better for you than milk chocolate due to the amount of flavanols it contains, which benefit the body in many ways. It contains less calories per gram than milk chocolate as there is less sugar etc in it therefore it is the 'healthier' option than milk chocolate, although it won't make you healthy, that's the difference. I'm not being pedantic it's just a fact.

It may be better for YOU nutritionally, but you don't know mine or anyone else's nutritional needs. Maybe I want the calories and the sugar for MY needs.

@Hornsby you're right, I wasn't actually advocating eating either type of chocolate or prescribing individual nutritional advice just responding to the comment about it potentially being classed as a superfood and the general difference between milk and dark chocolate.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My 85% is 100 calories higher than the milk chocolate by the same brand.

And it's delicious.

That is interesting, which chocolates are you referring to? The brand itself makes no difference as they often create different types of chocolate with varying levels of cocoa, sugar etc. I am definitely intrigued by the chocolates you are comparing though if the dark has so many more calories than the milk as that is a very rare occurrence in a like for like comparison. I'm not being sarcastic, I would really like to know. :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It's a German brand called Zetti.

85% Dark

643kcal | 2658kJ
    Fat 56,7g
    saturated 34,5g
    Carbs 19,8g
    Sugar 12,6g
    Fiber 10,7g
    Protein 8,2g

Milk Chocolate

554kcal | 2310kJ
    Fat 35,0g
    Saturated 21,8g
    Carbs 51,1g
    Sugar 49,0g
    Fiber 2,0g
    Protein 7,7g
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    And the ones by Lindt are all around the same calories, regardless of which type of chocolate, so the dark chocolate is still not lower in calories.
  • battyfitch
    battyfitch Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was watching a video on YouTube about dark chocolate and they said it tends to have more fat in it than other types. Could that account for the calorie difference?
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Try blending 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder and a dash of cinnamon with 8 ounces fresh watermelon juice. It sounds like an odd combo but it's delicious! No magical properties, though..
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

Why? Because I like the bitterness of dark chocolate, and milk chocolate just tastes like sugar. If I wanted something that tasted like sugar, I'd eat sugar.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

Why? Because I like the bitterness of dark chocolate, and milk chocolate just tastes like sugar. If I wanted something that tasted like sugar, I'd eat sugar.

You can't tell the difference between milk chocolate and granulated sugar?