WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,094 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lillian DH bought choke cherries at Farmer's Market. When you taste good ripe ones yum. Unripe or bad ones ICK.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    That $135 /week is my co-pay. It is more than an expensive gym. You are on a cardiac monitor the whole time, frequent B/P checks. nutritional training, classes dealing with depression, etc. Charlie has said if I need it then I need it. I am going to check with the hospital about financial assistance. They had always asked us if we wanted to fill out the paper work and I haven't. Before now I always thought our assets wouldn't allow us to qualify. But now that Charlie has had 3 times in hospital, two of them a week long, and now mine and then cardiac rehab I will see if we qualify. Plus I am having some kind of chest pain. I feel terrible that although I was a cardiac nurse for so many years, I have never had the kind of pain I asked my patients to tell me about. So last night I took a nitro and it made the pain much worse. And my B/P is going all over the place, lowest 80/50. When it is low my heart makes up for it by going up to around 100. So today I saw my lab work drawn, then saw my dentist and and sleep study doctor and tomorrow I see my family doc and cardiologist.

I'm glad some of you saw the resorts around here. I went to both of them with the senior group at church. When I went on disability they adopted me. I was only 49 so I enjoyed their company. Charlie and I went to West Baden and as usual he wasn't impressed. He thought it was beautiful but that was about it.

The sleep study doctor really gave me a lot of info. For one, my c-pap machine is so old that the computer in it no longer gives any info except the pressure setting. So I get a new machine and after a week of using it, the office will communicate wirelessly with the c-pap to see what my sleep quality is. Creepy that my c-pap will communicate with an office across town. I always did Mom's pacemaker telephone checks but I don't think this is anything like that. But he said that my combination of medicine at bedtime to help me sleep may be what makes me feel so tired during the day. So I will talk to the family doc about those medicines and the cardiologist about her combination of medicines and my my B/P and heart rate are all over the place. Plus 80/50 is unacceptable. Plus he told me I need to not be on the computer as late as I am.

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Katla- great job on the Kettlebell!

Terrimom- very nice to see you back! Too bad about your ankle!

SueWA- sorry to hear that your foot got stepped on! I have experienced that before OUCccccch!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 9.37min, 16amph, 133mhr, 2.5mi = 73c
    SPIN- 45min, 81r, 92w, 11-17g, 143mhr, 11.8mi = 359c
    ride gym 2 dome- 4.47min, 13.3amph, 134mhr, 1mi = 47c
    ride dome 2 hm- 17.07min, 9.1amph, 156mhr, 2.5mi = 189c
    total cal 668
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So it is the end of the month and time to face the music.

Goals (and wishes) for the month of August:

1) Be faithful and log everything - I only cheat myself by cheating on logging. Almost perfect in logging. Logged every day but missed a butter pat or two. Had to go back and add them.
    2) Continue to exercise every day - the reports don't lie, the more I move the less I weigh. Sadly I had a couple of days I couldn't exercise due to a knee misbehaving.
    3) Be kind to myself when (not if) I fall off the wagon. No one is perfect, dust myself off and get going again. Still working on this.
    4) Weigh myself once a week. Hate to do it, but I am a big girl and there are worse things in life than stepping on the scale. Ok, totally bombed out on this one. I weighed myself a couple of times but only because it dawned on me that I hadn't done it in a while. At least the numbers are still going down even if its in baby steps. Lost 3 more pounds this month. Yea!t2034.gif
    5) Make time to enjoy the little things in life, for they are truly the most important things. <3 Think I can say I did this and maybe it was the most important goal I set.

We had a wonderful rain storm move through this evening. Love the smell of rain!

I've been working on a new quilt project, a Christmas tree skirt. Of course there are lots of pieces and it will be interesting when its done.

Charleen in Colorado (Sleeping with the windows open tonight - cool breezes and rain smell everywhere!)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Charleen really looking forward to seeing your tree skirt. I cheated and got some of that cheap pre-quilted stuff and did some cross stitch on it. My sister liked it but I wanted better than that.
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies ,

Today was part 2 of my training class needed to help my DD it was long from 9-5. Tomorrow I am back to work! So grateful for my job yet not ready for those long days again. Trying to learn good boundaries for my job to leave it at work not stress all night about it.

The Y was busy today but glad I went! Wishing everyone a good night!

Liz
    Caldwell, Idaho
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Terri: Good to see you again. So sorry about the ankle. Ouch!

Heather: Have a wonderful visit with your friend.

Katla: How amazing to live in the age of Skype calls.

Re: You wrote: "I will treasure every instance that I can bend over, and pick something up off the floor, I will make excuses to get up and walk around during the workday… I will fight for every tiny bit of strength and fitness that I can get my grubby little hands on…" I love your fervor. You go girl.

Yesterday I had a fun time with a friend who lives in Los Angeles, but is in Colorado to work on a movie. We took the cog wheel train up to the summit of Pikes Peak. Despite it being cloudy and rainy down in Colorado Springs, by the time we got to 14,115 feet, the skies were blue, the air was fresh and the views were spectacular. A fresh dusting of snow was underfoot, but with the sun shining, it was a balmy 39 degrees. This is where Katherine Lee Bates got the inspiration to write the lyrics to “American the Beautiful. First photo is my pal Kathleen awaiting to board the train back to Manitou Springs. The second is yours truly (the person in the middle) enjoying the purple mountains majesties, southern view, all the way to New Mexico.
    wjvrsvsjshxh.jpg

urmhz9ufcfzp.jpg

Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    back down in the Colorado Foothills
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    :)Joyce, Jake has a device that transmits data from his implanted pacemaker/defibrilator...the data goes to a monitoring place somewhere...if they notice anything really off the beam, they call him and talk to him about it. Once a year, he goes to the clinic in Seattle to be checked by the technician and go over what's happening. It's an amazing system.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Hi Terri ... Sorry about the ankle!

Beth
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Summer weather – in some past years we have 100 degree (f) weather into late sept. but this week has been much cooler than normal… just 73 today…

Betty – beautiful sunset

Re- great direction on the scale, and so proud of you to hear that you will not be your Mom…

Terri – so glad to see you back! So sorry to hear you broke your ankle….take care!

Joyce – glad you are talking to all the doctors about all the issues to see what affects what… I am a good sleeper but recently heard a radio story about screen time and sleeping and they recommended that you have at least 60 min with NO screens prior to climbing into bed…

Rori – great pictures

So someone mentioned the fish tacos from skinnytaste, and I had most of the ingredients and no dinner idea, so zipped to the store for cabbage and made them, wow were they good! Thanks for sharing that idea…

The crustless quiche we were talking about a few days ago well I had an over abundance of overly large zucchini, which I grate squeeze out the liquid and freeze in 1 cup baggies so I can later put it in a stir fry, bread, soup, or…so this time I made a batch of the quiche using the zucchini instead of spinach it was excellent.

August Goals:
    2 fun things a week, visiting with college prof, walking tour of tea gardens, birthday hike, learning to set and catch a gopher, planning camping trip, dinner at a new Chinese restaurant, trying coffee beer. 4 fab! Days of camping

Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Did one segment of Tone Trouble Zones DVD, held my plank for 2 min 50 sec, then the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do some walking on the treadmill.

After exercise, I'd like to go to this Senior Expo, just because I've never been able to go and I'm interested to see what it's all about. Afterwards I'd like to go to Aldi since my list for there is getting quite long.

Kim - I never heard of Airbnb. Thanks for telling me about it.

Exercised, went to the Salvation Army, picked up one of Loki's meds, went to senior bowling, ceramics tonight, mahjongg for me

Heather - have fun with your friend.

Just skimming right now. Can't believe how late it is.

Re - sounds like you had a wonderful anniversary

Michele in NC
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI<count down til surgery.U wouldn`t believe all the pre-op testing.I think they tested for everything.lol.Had a new dr as my pcp had no opening today.Wasn`t too happy with her.I was nervous and in pain and she was worried about the blood pressure,it wasn`t that bad,140/90,but they test with the automatic machines that squeeze ur arm to the point it`s blue.The rn kept doing it over and over.I finally asked if they could use the reg blood pressure machine,which made a big difference.I do`nt normally have high blood pressure.The dr talked about putting me on blood pressure meds.First Im having surgery in 2 days and have many reactions to meds.If it was real high,I would agree.She went to talk to my pcp,and she said Im ok,Told me to relax and try to not get so stressed.Then the other dr asked what do I do for exercise(as Im sitting in a wheel chair).I told her I walk around the house with a walker in between the pain.Then she had to mention,you know your wt is a problem for surgery.I know I am at risk due to my wt.I did however,loose 30 lbs,since the 1st surgery in june.Im not bashing the dr,felt upset,they look at you and assume,you do`nt do anything but eat and gain wt.I haven`t been able to walk in over a year,Im sorry,needed to vent.I do the best I can .
    hugs jane
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Jane- (((Hugs))) I hope all goes well with your surgery. I will be praying for a quick recovery. Let us know how you are doing. Feel free to vent here whenever you need to.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Tx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    Jane - Wishing you all the best for your surgery. <3 I'm sure it will make the world of difference. :flowerforyou:

Love Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    Jane~ we all wish you a speedy recovery and you can vent anytime you want!! are shoulders can all handle it...
    woke up right after Tom so that is 2 a.m. , he takes the dogs for a walk then they want to come in with me and he closes the bedroom doors and then they want out again, so instead of getting in and out of bed ,I just get up...
    Southwest gave Tom free PreTSA clearance so he is going up to the airport today to get finger printed..getting out early to go do that.. I am working 9-6 today.. I will get dressed in a bit and go for a walk.. have a load of laundry in the wash..
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    liz your goal of leaving the stress of work at work was just the motivation I needed for my return to work today. Thanks!!!

I do love a clean slate-- having a healthy breakfast and packing my gym clothes as well as a delightful lunch all in preparation for a positive day.

I am working up a big list for September goals Barbie so leave me plenty of blank space to vent!!

Love and peace to you all, as rori likes to say "we've got this!
    NYKAREN