WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Betty – WOW! What a story … thankfully you had that 2nd angel at work. I would suggest taking the stone to a very reputable jeweler before getting it reset. I don’t know how big or small it is; but, when I had my engagement ring reset into a better setting along with 2 Sapphires on each side; I had it appraised. Then, I got extra insurance than that which comes with our homeowner’s insurance … for that ‘exact’ reason. My original setting was a 4-prong setting that set up really high. I was emptying our dishwasher when I heard a ‘tink-tink’. Looked down and saw that the diamond was ‘gone’. I about have a freaking flipping out stroke! But, I pulled out the racks and felt all around in the bottom around the drain and there it was. Thankfully, our dishwasher had a filter in the bottom of it. The ring has 4 prongs on each stone; but, the way it is set the diamond in the middle has 4 back-up prongs from the ones holding the Sapphires. If I ever had another solitary diamond … it would definitely have 6 prongs and I would be getting them checked every 3 months when I got the ring ‘cleaned’ at the jewelers I have been dealing with for the past 40 years. I would have been very upset, too. I was with my husband when he picked out my engagement ring (he had already asked me, at that point sort of jokingly – because of how we started dating in the first place). I had it reset for my 40th birthday and was going to surprise him. He was upset at first when he noticed I wasn’t wearing my rings and even more so that I was getting it reset. But, after he saw what I had done … he liked it a lot and has never said anything else about my resetting it.

KJLaMore – Beautiful grandchildren. You were very wise to make all of you ‘stand out’ like that, especially with 5 children 7 and under. I kept looking at them and reading your post and thinking ‘boy these kids are BIG for their ages’; then I realized that you had bent knees. I’m sure you are proud of them. The only picture that I have of all of us … is my DYS & DDnL#2’s wedding picture (when I was at my heaviest). But, at least I have a book of wedding pictures to show off. One of the ‘sweetest’ pictures was a candid shot; catching me looking up at my son before turning around to have the picture taken. Then I have a good one of me and DH.

I’m always curious when someone says they have 2 of the same age children; are the twins or just different set of parents? This last weekend, we went on vacation and I counted 3 sets of twins in a matter of less than 4 hours; and two children dressed alike that were 20 months apart; dressed alike and couldn't tell their size. One a set of girls (identical); one a set of boys (identical) and then a set of fraternal twins. That’s a pretty good number of twins. DDnL#2 and DYS are going through ‘in vitro fertilization’ procedure and last year when we visited with them, every night I had a dream about twins. The last night we were there, my son dreamed about triplets. I don’t care what they have, just pray that he/she/they are healthy. She’s been so bummed about the inability to get pregnant because her tubes are blocked very badly … probably too bad … to get pregnant without some ‘help’. I think she slipped up a few weeks back by saying she was taking ‘hormones’; then, suddenly changed the subject altogether.

Re in TX – I’ve not been able to say anything to her, she is so ‘sensitive’ and quite ‘touchy’; but, I think she knows that she needs to start doing something. She IS exercising. She walked circles around me at the beach and I could barely move (still can't) and she did not complain about being sore but a little - more tired than sore.

She’s gone through so much in her young life (20); a ‘custody’ change to her Daddy at the age of 14; having two different sets of younger sisters. Living with 2 of them, and they did not understand how much ‘attention’ she needed to get back up on her feet after the change. She is very hard on herself insofar as ‘school’ is concerned. She decided that she is not going to apply for Vet School; and, will take the ‘test’ for being certified as a teacher by the time she graduates in December of next year. One of the choices is that she just did not want to get out of school and owe several 100 of $1,000’s to pay back student loans. She also watched her Mother’s decline and cycle down into drugs and other criminal behavior; and when DFACS took the other 2 girls away from her; she was ‘asked’ if she could take the youngest one. The middle one was already living with her paternal grandmother. So she called the biological Dad and told him to come get her. Now her Mother is back in jail for doing the same stupid stuff. I understand that I should take it slowly and with no pressure. It is hard to do when you see them just gaining weight and so many young people are so heavy all around. The junk food that is available to them. She has seen her step-mother struggle with her weight. Right now she hasn’t said anything because she doesn’t like seeing her ‘cry’. We did eat pretty well while at the beach; but, not until we stopped at a Cracker Barrel did I see just how much she eats and the things that are not the best choices. Unfortunately, like a lot of kids her age (and younger) she likes ‘fried’ foods and ‘easy’ foods. Maybe when she gets all settled when school starts back, she will settle down into a routine. She and her boyfriend are leasing a house with another couple. He has offered to pay her part of the rent; but, I don’t think she wants him to; she 'might' go for it 'if' she had a ring on her finger. He probably won't do so until he graduates this December and is enrolled in a PT program. Something he wants to do and to work with 'sport injuries'.

Because of the 'financial strain' that DOS has been under; she is sort of being 'left out there to do whatever she needs to do to continue college'. DOS said that he could not support her and support the rest of the family. She is too close to being a Senior to stop now. We can help a little; but, not enough to support her. She's on the HOPE scholarship, so as long as her grades stay high ... she'll get it. She's doing great in school; although her summer school (4 weeks, 8 hours a day) kicked her butt ... she found out that she made a "B" in the class! She was ecstatic!

Janetr7476 – That’s funny about ‘not caring what other people think’. I think that about the age of 85 – it won’t matter what you say or do … people tend to not listen to you anyway. If you have ceramic tiles in your house; you definitely want to have ‘control’ over how much control you have over the kettlebell. If you were to drop them/it … it could prove disastrous and costly.

OMGoodness – This afternoon my DDnL#1 called me for ‘my opinion’. The first thing she said was, ‘I guess you NEVER thought I would ever ask for your opinion about anything’. I was totally shocked. She went on an interview today for another job; she has been looking now for about 5 weeks since she walked out on the job she had had for 12+ years. I asked her how the interview went and she told me that ‘they said that they “liked” her but had others to interview’. Mmmm, sounds like any other interview … what are they supposed to say, “We HATE you?” I don’t think so. Well, she called and said that she had been offered the State job and ‘should she email them and ask if she could wait to give them her answer’. We went over the ‘pros and cons’ of the job; and, I finally told her that given their financial bind, and the fact that they will get ‘health insurance’ and maybe even ‘retirement’; that “a bird in the hand is worth 2 in a bush” and I really thought she should ‘take it’. She told me (as I was listening to my son in the background) that she did not want to ‘sell herself short’. I told her that any time you take a new job you cannot expect to be paid what you were being paid after 12 years on the one the had. I ‘hope’ she will consider my advice – my son has been taking $$$ out of ‘his’ retirement just to pay the bills. I ended my conversation with her that ‘getting offered the job should be a confidence booster as well’. She had to agree with me … so I guess we’ll see what she decides to do after she plasters it all over FB for others to ‘comment’ about what she should do. Oh well, can’t control that FB addiction.

Heather – Looks like Bea is going to be a “Ginger” … with a wonderful disposition! My DYS wrote on his first day of 4th grade penmanship that had to be a ‘fill in the blank’ type of test on the first and last day of school … and his answers were hysterical and his penmanship was like day and night. I had them framed side-by-side in the same frame. The first day one of the sentences was: “I have one sister and one brother” … on the last day it was: “I have one sister and one bother.” We laughed that his brother had turned into a ‘bother’. Older brothers sometimes do that.

Karen Virginia – I know what you mean by ‘trying to guess’ what the Acronyms stand for, sometimes you just have to make a running guess.

Margaret – Great thing to show support for our police force!

Mary from Minnesota – I’m sorry for your niece’s loss. My DDnL#2 is ‘trying to have a baby and they are having to go through ‘in vitro fertilization’. Her niece was 7 months pregnant and had found out 4 months earlier that the baby she was carrying had a ‘deadly’ disorder which meant she would not survive long after being born. She had been at her mother’s house; actually her grandmother's … and went to the bathroom and reached down and felt feet coming out. EMTs called, they delivered the baby stillborn. She told DDnL#2 ‘that she was glad it was over’. DDnL#2 said it was so hard to take her losing the baby when she is trying so hard to have one. So many prayers are going around and so my {{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}} needed. So many reasons for one to have a miscarriage at 5 weeks. I know DDnL#2 ‘if and when’ she gets pregnant won’t tell anyone until she is ‘well into the pregnancy’; beginning the 2nd trimester.

I lost my first pregnancy at 5 months due to a really rare complication; and beside having to wait a full year (or more) to even ‘try’ to get pregnant again; they drew 5 tubes of blood out of my arm every Friday for an entire year to send to Duke University Medical College. I was a ‘cat on a hot tin roof’ both times, after that, when I got pregnant with my sons. It can be a big pill to swallow to lose a baby, no matter when it occurs. I was 5 months along in my 2nd pregnancy when we got transferred. Thankfully, my OB/GYN went to medical college with an OB/GYN in that town (his hometown); so I started going to a new OB/GYN in a ‘new’ town, making 'new' friends, had a toddler in tow. I made it without any problems … I know if she is 35; she might be feeling like her clock is running down. I know you feel responsible; but, you should not …; it is normal to feel that way. Just lay it over to a Higher Power for your peace and for hers (and her fiancé's and the rest of the family).

I agree with what Karen in Virginia had to say 100%. You are not responsible.

Got Cracker home from being boarded at the vet while we were gone. When DOGD got her to her boyfriend's truck she realized that she was bleeding (pretty badly) from her paw. She looked at her and said that the vet's office had cut her nails; but, someone cut the toenail back into the quick. Poor baby ... we are now into our 9th month of limping. I called back and spoke to the girl at the front desk and told her what had happened and asked her what I needed to do. She asked if I had any 'corn starch' on hand. I did, so she told me to dip her toenail in a flat sauce with it and it would stop bleeding and in a couple of days it would heal over. But, that I needed to keep her still. Yeah right! She was so happy to NOT be crated or in a cage (although I know they do let them out for exercise daily); and 'if' one is good-natured, sometimes they get out longer or more often. They already 'think' Cracker and Tux are 'real cuties'.

We have moved Cracker's crate into the Den so she can see us; I finally let her out after looking at her 'sad puppy dog eyes'; and, she went right to her bed ... did not move until I just let her out for a while before bedtime. I'll have to clean her paw and put more corn starch on that toe. Then she'll 'crate up' and go to sleep without any problems.

Oh, DH started 'moaning and groaning' again, yesterday like he was passing a kidney stone again and having a hard time urinating. I told him that he needed to call his MD. Went to the Urologist this AM and he did the same procedure on him 'awake' that he had done several months ago when he put him to sleep! OMG! He was 'in pain' the last time and had to wear a urine bag for a week; now he has another urine bag which he will have to wear until the 26th when he goes back. We are supposed to leave on the 27th to go to LA to visit DYS and his family. Now, that might be all 'up in the air'. Took a pain pill when he got home ... 'yes, ... he worked all day'. Both DOS and his brother could not believe that he came to work; they both tried to get him to come home. After he had taken the pain pill and dozed off, he woke up with a bad headache. Asked if I thought he could take something for the headache after having taken the pain pill. SURE! No reason to hurt at both ends! It will make you even sleepier and hopefully he will be able to sleep all night.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    :'(:o:#<3
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Katla wrote - "Janet OKC: I turned 67 in July so I'm a teensy bit older than you. I feel a crazy combination of younger than ever in my whole life, plus aches and pains that go with the passing of quite a bit of time. I tried kettle bell swings at the gym today with a five pound weight. I'm a bit sore now, and must have made some mistakes with my form. I'll watch the videos another time or two & try again on Friday."

Oh wow, so all three of us turn 67 this year. I know exactly what you mean about feeling the youngest ever and yet aches and pains that are now a part of life. I did 5x10x25 kettle bell swings this afternoon when I got home with my new 25# kettle bell. I'm beyond a bit sore now, my muscles are hollering but I feel good about it and know by morning I'll be fine. I'm so proud of us. :)

Janetr OKC
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Re: I'm loving those alliterations!

Working hard at catching up with all of you. Spent my weekend at Haying in the 30's - an annual event I attend and volunteer for that raises money to help cancer patients in rural Alberta travel to urban centres for cancer treatment. This was the 17th annual event. My dad is still doing thrashing demos at 84 and this year they made a video of it that is supposed to get posted either on facebook or their website. I can't wait to see it.

Still struggling getting used to cpap machine.. never had headaches before I started but now I'm waking up with one that lasts all day...sheesh. Anyway time to head off and hook it up.

Have a good night all..
    Carey - Northern Alberta
  • MaureenRefior
    MaureenRefior Posts: 21 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm new, and I'd like to join. I really screwed up at the end of July and went back up to 188 lbs. I was 194 on June 1, and dropped to 172, probably too fast, but then a bunch of stuff happened in the last two weeks, and I just stopped taking care of me. SO, forget July. Here are my goals for August:

* Do cardio every day (less on lower body workout days, more on upper body)
    * Take Sundays off from weight training to give my body recovery time
    * Keep all forms of food OUT OF MY BEDROOM (where I spend most of my time after 8 pm)
    * Be kind to myself when I stumble
    * Be mindful of what I'm eating and how full I am
    * Avoid any other activities during eating times
    * Meditate every day, regardless of how busy I am
    * Try to reach out and make new friends (because I'm actually pretty shy)

Thanks for this thread, I'm glad I found it.

Why isn't my ticker showing up, by the way? I changed my forum settings for it to show up, but I don't see it.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Mary - sad news about your niece's miscarriage and I agree with Karen that this is a total coincidence. But I know that what we know in our head isn't always echoed in our heart hence your feeling responsible. Thinking about you and hugging you from afar

Cheri - good luck with the move. Traumatic isn't it? Helping DD to get ready for their move and it's so frustrating as they are so disorganised unlike me, I like to make lists and plan. Must admit DD does her best but her DH is the world's worst, headless chickens come to mind
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    Katla - From what I can understand from the videos on choosing a kettlebell, it is more difficult to swing one that is too light because you tend to use your arms and back, rather than your hips. They don't recommend going below 6kg (13 lbs). For you I would think the 8kg one would be fine as you are relatively fit. 18 lbs. That's what I started with. I feel it's fine for me at the moment.
    Isn't it funny how our men worry about us throwing heavy weights around! Mine was very concerned that I would injure myself , or damage the furniture! Of course, you do need to really study the form. I did it in front of a mirror at first.

Carol - I echo the others that self raising flour would be fine as long as it is fresh. The baking powder element loses its strength over time, which is why I prefer to buy plain flour and add the baking powder, which I make sure to replace by the sell by date. People don't realise that it goes off. Anyone, like my DSIL, who has problems with cakes rising, is probably using out of date raising agents. She always used to tell me she couldn't bake cakes until I told her about the importance of fresh self raising flour and she was amazed at how her cake rose! :laugh:

Janetr - My 67th birthday is on October 2nd. The next day we are off to the south of Spain for a week. DH's birthday is October 17th. He will be 71 and so far as fit as a fiddle! He does work very hard at it, though. :D<3

We are hoping for some news today concerning DH's family troubles. There is a court case. :ohwell: I expect his sister will ring when she hears.

DH off for the first day of a four day game of cricket. Watching, not playing. He has a lovely friend that he goes with, so I am happy for him. Good male friendships are rare over here, especially between older men. He is making his rolls with the spinach pie in them as I write. I am about to start my kettlebell routine. I have had a short rest after my cardio as last time I did it straight after I found it hard going.

Love to all. Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Mary~ so sorry to hear about your niece. it is so hard to know what to say to someone when they lose a baby..
    Today will be another stunner.. beautiful low humidity.. my plan for today is go down and feed DFIL , then go to the dump, then have meeting for DFIL .. just to see how things are going... after him being there 3 weeks, I feel that this was a good move...
    get gas in the container and come home and mow the lawn and go water my DB and DSIL plants...
    today is my unpaid day off,but that doesn't mean I get to rest.. 2 more days of work and then Tom will be back sometime Sunday night..
    Heather~ baby Bea is just adorable...
    Joyce~ no wonder your weary you have been through the ringer the last 6 months .. I keep both you and Charlie in my prayers..
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    B)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Thursday! I have finally caught up on my post reading after not reading on the first and second. I also remembered that I needed to record my stats for the 24 week challenge, so, here they are:

STARTING WEIGHT: 205
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 207
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (THIS WEEK): -1
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (ALL WEEKS): +2
    GOAL WEIGHT: 180
    TOTAL LBS AWAY FROM GOAL: 28
    ULTIMATE GOAL WEIGHT: 140

Thankfully the weight is still going down. I was worried after the gain I experienced in week 2. I was also concerned with how the weekend and the past couple of days was going to affect everything, because I wasn't eating on my normal schedule due to CG activities. (Plus a couple of ice creams on hot days)...Oh well, it is what it is.

Katie and Lenora- The kids in my pictures are my daycare kids. They are with me M-F from 6am-6:30pm. They feel like family and they are good kids, but not my grandkids. No grandkids right now; my daughter is expecting our first grandchild. It is very early in her pregnancy. She was referring to her as her "blueberry", but she has gotten bigger and is now her "kidney bean". I am going to refer to baby as "she" instead of "it", because I think it is a girl.

Mary- So sorry to hear about your niece's miscarriage. I agree with the other ladies; it sounds as if your niece was used to lifting and it shouldn't have been a problem. Please don't carry this guilt. I think miscarriages are so common and if you think about it, of course they are; our bodies are built to "protect" us and fight what it deems as "foreign" to us. A miscarriage is our body protecting us. Please don't misunderstand; I do not mean to belittle pregnancy and loss. Miscarriage and loss of child is very familiar to me, and my heart hurts for all families that struggle with it. Peace and love to you, my friend <3

I went to vote, Tuesday night, and they had this hanging in the room. It made me laugh! Hope you all enjoy!8rauo8t6u4xt.jpg
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    mary sending love and strength to your niece. I agree with what so many others have said to you about this sad coincidence. I am so glad your niece came over and is planning the shower and wedding. Did you mention how old she is??

Joyce. I am glad you checked that calendar and realized all that you have been carrying--of course you are weary!! Get the rest your body is craving, take in the nutrition your body requires, take the time to be cared for even if that means taking a nap. Sending you hugs

Barbie hooray that Jake is driving :)
    Funny how good it feels when that pressure to be the one to drive is lifted and you can have the place to yourself. How happy this must make Jake feel!

Had a lovely meal with DD at a Greek place with an outdoor patio, we split a wonderful Greek desert--can't spell it , but think amazing Greek eclair but less sweet and just gorgeous-- I only had a few bites which were just enough but savored every bite and loved the fact that DD found it delicious, she is very picky.

DH loves the new bedroom paint color and I feel satisfied with my work. today I crack open some work from school that need a reorganization and an action plan and I feel up to the challenge! I must be rested if I am saying that!!

Cheers everyone, NYKAREN
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!

Driving down I-75 South today to visit my mom. Just hoping she is not having a bad day!

:)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Well, the day is over..I DID manage to another 3milewalk in this evening for a total of 5 for the day BUT, I've also increased my caloric intake for the day. There was a discussion just the other day on the pros/cons of eating them back but I can't remember what the consensus was? Anybody know?

~Melanie~ Baton Rouge

:) There is no consensus on eating back your exercise calories...it's something you have to experiment with personally. I started by sticking to 1200 calories until I went on a two hour walk in the morning and felt faint when I got home and realized that I wasn't fueled nearly well enough to accommodate all that energy output. Since then I have included my exercise calories in deciding what I'll eat for the day. I walk my dogs, go to dance classes, ride my exercise bike, and do some strength training. I wore a heart rate monitor while exercising for a year and found what was a more accurate calorie burn for those sessions and use those numbers. It worked for me. I lost almost 60 pounds and have kept it off for several years with this plan that works for me. Others have found that they have to stay with the same number of calories every day regardless of how much they exercise. Others eat back half the calories they burn with exercise.

:) Barbie

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Melanie - Barbie is correct - everyone has to find what works for them. I have always eaten back my exercise calories and lost 57 lbs over 18 months. At the moment, because I want to shave off a couple, I am eating them all back bar 100. I am a very hungry person and need to eat regularly or I get a hypo. I cannot go low cal. Currently I am eating around 1800 a day because of my exercising. Losing about half a pound a week. :D
    Last week I lost a quick couple, which was water.
    Heather xxxxxxxxxx
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,357 Member
    Options
    Oh my! Page 10 already and I'm just now finding the August thread. My bad! I get so busy at work, and work in IT, so when I get home oftentimes I don't feel like logging in and looking at a computer! I need to get past that and be faithful. Seems I go in streaks and then life takes over and I fail over and over. BUT, I do pull myself back up and try again every day...

Barbie, thank you for creating the August thread.

I am not sure what my July goals were. I will go back and find them later. I'm sure I probably did not hit a single one though.

August will be better, right? *sigh* I have no willpower and am starting to get good and ticked off at myself.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!! I will hop back on tonight. That is one of my goals for today. :smiley:

Tracie in WI

August Goals:
    1. Weigh less at the end of the month than I did at the beginning of the month
    2. Incorporate some type of activity into my life and do it at least 3 times a week.
    3. Stop stressing and worrying about things I cannot change
    4. Enjoy every day to the fullest
    5. Log into MFP every day in the month of August

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Checking in.....
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

jmkmom - sorry to hear about your weariness. {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}

fanncy - you are in no way responsible for the miscarriage, i'm sorry for her loss, i can understand y u would feel that way but you're not.

ssc1950 - i had to laugh when i read your post about you struggling getting used to the cpap machine, i first read "crap" machine! i was thinking, what, having a hard time taking a crap???? ex-lax girl ex-lax!!!