WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Maureen Reflor: Welcome to a great group. My ticker doesn't show either. The new owners of MFP don't seem to support it. :ohwell: I'll give it a try and see what happens to this post. :grumble:

Mary: I'm glad your niece came over and is not blaming her kettlebell workout for the miscarriage. My mom had several miscarriages and so has my daughter. I was lucky had never had a single miscarriage. Mom blamed all sorts of things for her miscarriages--mostly my dad. She thought he picked something up when he was a Sea Bee in WWII. I always thought it was due to her chain smoking from teen years forward. DD has had other issues. She lost one during a swine flu epidemic. I'm not sure what caused the others. She miscarried last fall and is now carrying a baby that we hope will go full term. He is doing great at this point. She has a 5 year old girl and a 2 year old boy. The new one is also a boy. We're keeping our fingers crossed and sending prayers for a good outcome. :heart: :heart: :heart:

OConnell548: I have my goals saved on a word document and type almost all of my responses here on that word document, then paste the message into MFP. After I paste, I delete the new changes and my document still contains my goals. I type a new reply at the top, as I am doing this very minute. It saves me a lot of work and I am able to maintain continuity without a lot of effort. :flowerforyou:

There is nothing on my calendar for today other than a free concert in the park this evening. The house could use a good vacuuming so I'll spend some time getting that done & then look for a way to have fun.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • Katla49
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I see my ticker today. Does anyone else? I have the code on a word document and copied and pasted it into my posts. It doesn't happen without that, and sometimes doesn't happen with it.

Katla

30881843.png
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Carey – Northern Alberta – I've slept with a C-pap for over 5 years; what a difference it made in my life; had not realized that I had been stopping breathing (which causes 'snoring'). Kids told me that I snored no matter what position I was in. I was feeling like $#*T warmed over and went to my GP who ordered a 'sleep study' for me. The 2nd night when they put me in the mask to check if I slept better - slept like a rock and did not snore. It took several tries to find a mask that did not feel like I was being suffocated. I ended up with what is called a 'wisp' which fits only over the nose. I no longer have headaches (migraines) because I am using a C-pap. Do you lay on your back with a pillow that is soft enough so that your neck is aligned with your body (or no pillow at all)? I find I sleep a lot better laying on my back; it is possible that if you are sleeping on your side; you might be interfering with the ‘air flow’ or blocking the escape value, If you might be doing this, you would be breathing in some carbon dioxide and that would maybe be something causing the headaches. Or possibly have a mask that isn’t fitting correctly or pulling if off or to the side and not getting in the fresh air. Wearing my C-pap has forced me to lay on my back vs laying on my stomach. You might need to call your MD to make sure the settings are what he/she ordered (and/or) take it back to the place you got it from and ask them to contact your MD. Sometimes it can be that what your settings are; maybe they need to be changed. If you have had it for a long time it’s possible that you might need a ‘new’ sleep study and it might need to be changed. Mine did, they reduced the 'flow' by a little bit. It took me about a month to get used to it. Hope you will find out why you’re having these headaches and can get it corrected. Sleeping with a C-pap is supposed to make you feel rested in the morning, not worse.

Carol/Peach – Where is your Mother living now; if y’all had been cleaning out her house? I guess I had somehow gotten it into my head that she had passed away. Mother was living at “The Carousal House” and stayed there until her death. She got to a point that she wasn't able to do things for herself; and, that is when we called hospice in. One of the things they asked her was 'what do you think hospice care is for'; she said, 'that it meant she only had 6 months or less to live'. They told her, 'no, it is when someone gets to a point that they need help to have things done for them like making sure she got a bath, was taking her meds, to see if she needed something else such as a change in meds'. I think that made her feel better; but, she still died within that 6-month period of time. She really needed to be put into a 'nursing home'; but, they let her stay with the understanding that 'if' the State came in for an evaluation we would required to move to one. The ladies there were wonderful to her. I want to say that they are Robert Newton’s (I think he was in your and Margaret’s grade in HS) mother and sister who own and run the place. We were very happy that a slot had opened up when we decided that Mother could no longer live on her own.

Melanie – Baton Rouge – One thing my dietician told me, that when I exercise a lot; I needed to increase my protein some. Examples: Boiled egg; couple of spoonsful of peanut butter, a small ground beef patty, or eat a banana. It helps when feeling spent out. I have a low CI and do a pretty good CO routine. Sometimes it makes me hungry and I will eat a little more than my set amount of CI. But, I never eat my exercise calories back; but, know they are there for a 'cushion' if I go over my CI. The MD's office determined what my CICO would be for me to be 'able' to lose the weight. Most of the time the charts for a range of CI is what it is for one to 'maintain' their weight. But, exercise and drinking water is also key in losing weight. I normally drink about 14 cups (112 oz.) of water/coffee a day. I also track how much water I take in; and, then print off my food/exercise and take it to her for her to keep in my chart. That way, if I get 'stuck' on a plateau she can go back and see what I was eating when I lost 3lbs or more in a 2-week period of time. I also do not weigh myself; I only weigh-in when I go for my check-up.

DH went to work this AM, without a headache and he only got up once during the night to empty his bag. His father wore a bag for several years after his surgery for prostate cancer; but, DH had the seed implants versus the radical surgery his Dad had. FnL would not go 'out' after his surgery and became a 'grouchy hermit'. I hope that DH won't have to wear it for the rest of his life. He's always been very active and he doesn't want to have to stop doing the things he has always done. I hope he isn't; it would be more like a "Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde" for him. He is rarely grumpy; he just finds it difficult to be 'hurting'; and, what they did to him yesterday was 'pure hell' for him. My son, DnL, and I could not believe that he actually worked yesterday after the procedure. That would be difficult to live with. I'm not sure I'd be able to change a catheter; he'd have to have that done at the MD's office. I would not be able to do something that I know would hurt him. I don't even think I could change on for myself and I would not have as far to go to reach my bladder.

Cracker is 'so' happy to be 'home'. Had to move her crate into the den; and finally let her out to go outside and when she came in, without ever looking at us, she went straight over to her bed, got in, and promptly went to sleep. Gave her one of her leftover pain pills this AM; now she is asleep.

Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Katla- thank you. Will send prayers for your DD and a successful pregnancy. I didn't realize how common miscarriages were. Darn early testers!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I had two miscarriages before my girls were born. Then it seemed like forever before I got pregnant again with my oldest. I was so worried that some thing would happen. I think I drove everyone around me crazy, but all was well.

My youngest daughter also had two miscarriages between her two youngest children. Seems like some times there is just no reason we can see, but it is very devastating.

Janetr okc
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have accomplished what I set out to do today, now I am just a ball of sweat... did lawn, fed DFIL, went to meeting, watered plants at DB and DSIL ,and did a load of laundry.. will make the bed in a little while. I havent been down to Cobalt for 3 weeks ,I figured I would go down and visit with the residents down there.. since I was buddies with them for 2 yrs... then come home take a shower and feed and walk the dogs...
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Mary :heart: :heartbreak::heart: - I had a miscarriage between my two kids. Like many others, I had no idea how common they are until I had one myself. The staff at the hospital explained how most miscarriages happen because of some serious flaw in the fetus, something that would have made life outside the womb impossible anyway. They also told me the fetus had probably died a week or so before I had any symptoms at all. The miscarriage was emotionally tough but I found a strange consolation in knowing that it wasn't a living being I'd expelled. (((((Hugs)))))
    /Penny, now in northern Norway, pretty far from the North Pole
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Miscarriages are very common. My mother had three, my sisters have both miscarried once, my daughter has miscarried twice and her docs put her on pre-natal vitamins right after she lost her second one, because she was still going to try to get pregnant. The theory is that the extra vitamins are making her body stronger to keep this pregnancy. We shall see. The blueberry has grown to the size of a kidney bean, now! I would say 60-70% of my daycare moms have had at least one miscarriage. I wonder if it is more common now than before or if it is just noticed more now than before due to the earlier detection of pregnancy...
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • melaniemetoyer
    melaniemetoyer Posts: 50 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lenora, Heather & Barbie-thanks for the input...I guess I'll have to try both ways & see what the end result is. I'm drinking about 8 bottles of water a day (whether I walk or not) so that ought to count for some weight loss by itself lol!!!!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    99 degrees. Feels like 108. It is SO hot I'm not even considering doing yard work.

I got an update from the relative we said no to concerning co-signing the loan. I had talked budget with them and really tried to show them that they simply could not afford the loan. Well I guess there was another relative asked and they did the same thing I did and between the two of us we convinced them that not pursuing the reason for the loan for 6 months to a year and saving the money would mean no loan and their life would be a lot better off in the long run. Yay for sound thinking! I guess working pen and paper and having them write down a budget worked this time. Hopefully they will stick to the plan and really work to save the money they need.

Marcelyn in Houston
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Melanie - Not a good idea to drink too much water. The whole water thing is a myth and can actually be dangerous. Just drink what you need so you are not thirsty. <3

Heather
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday. I am working the next 4 days. Yesterday was a good day off, but I do feel like I spend most my day off cleaning. Feel better when it is done. Going to be cooler the next several days so glad about that.
    Lisa--Hugs!
    Miriam--Sounds like you are going to have your hands full until school starts. Girls are growing.
    DJ--Happy B-lated 48th Anniversary. I don't know where the years go, but they go. DSS is my dear step son. Some days I claim him other not so much. He knows how to push all my buttons and makes me crazy. His mom kept him away from my husband and we found out she put him in foster care when he was 3. We found him when he was 11 and he is very bitter about a lot of things about us. He will not understand we looked for years before we found him.
    Karen--Yes, my Aunt was one to get things done. Junior was my step-dad and do miss him.
    Janetr--Love the sister pictures, thanks for sharing.
    Heather--I love your idea for hiding things in the garden for the DGC to take home to thier garden. Memories and they will think of you each time they see them. Bea is a cutie and so happy.
    Meg--Read about the boys in today's paper. How sad.
    Betty--Sorry to hear about your ring. Good thing you found the stone. I lost mine in the bathroom at work and didn't realize it at first. Cost a pretty penny to be fixed and replaced.
    Penny--WOW! I felt full just reading. Sounds like a lot of fun.
    KJL--Good pictures of you and the little ones. You look like you had your hands full. Thanks for sharing.
    Barbie--Great news about Jake being able to drive.
    Margaret--Thanks for doing an act of kindness. DH said last evening when he stopped at the store on the way home from work a lady in a motorcart cut in front of him in checkout line. When it was time to pay she was digging into her bag looking for money and DH handed the clerk the money. He said the change in the lady was instant. She smiled and Thanked him and when he went out to the car she was waiting and told him he was a Blessing. Somedays it is the little things that can change another person's day for the good. I do think they were both Blessed.
    Mary--Hugs! Please know it was nothing you or she did. How sad for both of you.
    Well ladies I am once again I am caught up. Thank you each of you for all you support. I could never do this without you.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Lenora, so right! I am seriously thinking of becoming a six prong gal now! And definitely going to someone reputable for the work. But going to check with my metalsmith/jeweler relative for advice first. If only he lived close by!

This morning, ringless, I had to open that same work cabinet and discovered right away what must have happened as my knuckles scraped the same hinge area. Maybe I had been banging it all along and finally it was once too many. Also, I had been derelict in my ring checking schedule. Oh, well...live and learn...

Congrats to both Jake and Michele for being able to be behind the wheel again!

Betty
  • Katla49
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Week four, day two, of five-week program transitioning from 7 reps to 10 using the 35 pound kettle bell.
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-22X 10 X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    5 miles

<3

Mary from Minnesota