WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Have ‘any’ of you had a ‘friend’ request from a MAN, with the picture showing a man with two children and I looked at his profile and it shows he is a man; and, the only friends he has made are ‘female’. His handle has justice and 96 in it somewhere. I declined his friend request; because I ‘thought’ this was a site for only ‘women’. Personally, I will get off this site if a man gets on here. I don’t want what I post to be seen by a man when I chat because I am comfortable sharing something that might be too personal and feel better knowing it is only seen by other women.

Mary from Minnesota – Miscarriages are difficult for a lot of women and the ‘early’ testers can really mess with a woman's head because they can also show a false-positive results, too. I’m glad that I ‘knew’ I had to be pregnant when I missed my first cycle; when I made my first appointment I was told that I was pregnant; but, the due date he gave me was 3 weeks later than either of my boys were born. All the women family members had their babies early. Sure enough, I had mine early, too. Katla – many {{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}} for you daughter.

Janetr okc – It is really difficult for a woman to try to ‘get pregnant’ and find out the only chance of having a baby is to go through ‘in vitro fertilization’ and I hear that the ‘hormones’ one has to take to produce eggs to be fertilized really makes them ‘moody as hell’. I hope my DYS can understand this and not think he has married the ‘monster from the green lagoon’. When she took fertility pills they made her hair break off and fall out. As a cosmetologist … she did not think that was very good. They went to find out why she still was not getting pregnant and found that her tubes were almost totally blocked. I know losing a baby, no matter when you do it can be ‘earth shattering’ for some women. I know it was for me.

Betty – Just very happy that you found the diamond!

Charleen – CONGRATS! That is wonderful. I can remember the pride I had when I got my first ‘blue ribbon’ on a painting. It was a portrait of a HS friend in his Army uniform. I was as proud as a peacock!

Joyce – We took the girls to St. Augustine this last weekend; and it was HOT! HOT! HOT! The heat would hit you like a brick in the face when you opened the outside door and take your breath away. We had a lot of fun; but, the heat just about got me. We went to the Jacksonville Zoo and walked all through it; the BEST thing we came upon was a huge oscillating fan attached to a big barrel of water that sent out a mist and then recirculated it back to the barrel. Blowing right at head level! I think we stood there for at least 30 minutes total. But, it made the walk back to the center of the zoo a bit harder because the wind was blowing any misters back up in the air.

Re in TX – I’ve said enough about her ‘weight’ and have backed off; and, I have given her the message that my DYS told me to tell her. She’s got her mind set on becoming a teacher. Of course, the ‘teachers’ he has dated have not been ‘happy’ ones … but, it might just have been that their personalities were somewhat warped or from the schools they had been assigned to. One of them had been married to a man she was dating that got transferred to her school as the Principal; so she got transferred to a public school and hated the class (age) she had to start teaching. Slots to transfer out of there were very 'few' and 'far between'. DOGD talked to her cousin who is a biology teacher; and, even though she is pregnant, she got a job in Florida and will be supporting her husband through college; and, then he will be supporting her whether she goes to nursing school or medical school. My sister has told her that ‘teaching is a rewarding job’ and being a Biology major she can pretty much have a lot of choices because they are one subject they are always looking for; and, to work on her Masters, even ‘if’ she had to do most of it online. At first I was a little upset because being a Vet has been ‘all she has talked about’. We’re thinking that when her boyfriend graduates in December … maybe an ‘engagement ring’ will be forth coming; but, she still has another year to go before she graduates. I'm sort of hoping that maybe he will start off attending a school close to them; and, then transferring to larger one. They’ve been dating since she was a Junior and he was a Senior in HS; and, he did not leave to go off to college and look for a college babe … he came home almost every weekend. Great kid, just hope he can put up with her ‘moodiness’.

She’s so ‘hard on herself’ when it comes to school work and making good grades. She made a “B” in her summer class; she was SO EXCITED! She and boyfriend share a rental house with another couple. They have a 2-year lease; and, I hope that the other couple will be staying there the entire time. She doesn't want BF to 'pay' her share of the rent (in the event he doesn't stay there the 'extra' year (they've been apart one year anyway) when he, being a year old and a class ahead) left to go off to college; so, maybe a year apart if he gets accepted in the whatever type of program to be a PT won't matter, even then. He was planning of paying her share (he has a 'real' job part-time); and, then she could use her share to buy the 'healthy food' that both of them need to be eating. Her Dad and step-mom say 'hey let him do it'. I can understand her reluctance of getting used to someone else paying her rent and her paying for groceries; because 'if' he did leave at the first of the year, she'd have to pay her share and then have to deal with whoever sub-leases from him. They use the 3rd bedroom as a 'guest' bedroom. This fall, when she takes the course for becoming a teacher ... will mean that she'll have to make a plan and then teach in an elementary school, then middle school, and then HS. That way she can decide what type of school she prefers to teach. At this moment she is thinking middle school; because that is when she got so excited about taking Biology and Science classes and plans on doing some of the same thing that her middle school biology/science teacher did to make it so interesting.

Hope it is just 'temporary'. I don't think I could change a catheter ... freaks me out, just thinking about it. I think when my FnL had one, he went to the MD to have a 'new' one inserted. I know he made trips to the VA Hospital down in Gainesville, FL.

Barbiecat – Yes, I can see it.

Michele in NC – Knowing Cracker … she would be fighting me to get the bread into her mouth; then she would eat it off, probably before it stopped bleeding. The baking powder worked well; the only problem is it made my kitchen floor very slippery when she walked on it. DH must have turned over and pulled the plug out of his catheter bag; and, had an accident. Totally soaked all the way through the towel he had put under him, the bottom sheet, the electric mattress pad warmer, and the mattress pad. He was so upset; and thinks that maybe he should tape the tube that comes into the top of the bag that goes into it. Sprayed the mattress topper with Fabreeze, giving it a good dose.

Then I googled for waterproof mattress covers. I had wanted one that would totally encase the mattress; but, all I could find was just that looked like a regular bottom sheet. I hope it works, spent over $200 for a king-sized bed. Was told, it was made of a special material that would work; but, not have the 'hot' that sometimes the plastic casing and anyway, there are making the encasement ones any longer. This one can be washed as well or wiped off with a damp rag. DH was a little upset because he said it might not ever happen again. I told him, I did it, because I did not particularly have to wash the other two pads, if I did not have to. It will go between the bottom sheet and the other pads. Now, I need to try to see if I can buy a 4-5" box springs to replace the 'thick' one we have ... so that it will lower the bed about 10" and make it easier for both of us to get in it.

He's having a real difficult time sitting and getting up; but, he still made my evening coffee. Yesterday I had to take his shoes off because he could not raise the one with the bag on it more than about 3"; and, raising the other one made it feel like he was pulling on it. He was in such pain yesterday that he actually took the Percocet the MD Rx'd for him. Then he got a bad headache and took an Advil Migraine pill. Needless to say, he was asleep in a matter of minutes. Yesterday I spent time washing each pad (individually) and 2 full sets of sheets. Followed the directions that was on one; then had to google if the other one could be washed. They still needed to be hung out for a while; and, I had to go drag them off the 2 bushes at the end of our stairs off the deck before the bottom feel out. Then had to vacuum the leaves off. Cracker had a 'fit' ... she hates the vacuum cleaners.

I can remember in HS Chemistry we had to test our own blood and one of my friends had AB- blood, which is the rarest of all.

Margaret – One thing that I guess is good about having to take so many medications is that mosquitos’ don’t seem to bite me, nor do fleas (thankfully, we don’t have many because our house is sprayed monthly; and, Cracker is on medication that kills them.

One of my DYS’s bosses gave them an old attic fan he had taken out of a previous house then did not use in his present home. DYS built a frame around it and they have it outside on the deck at the lake place … says it will just about blow you over; but, it also keeps any biting bugs off the deck.

Carey North Alberta – Softball, huh? Which still hurts as bad as being hit with a hardball. That was what happened when DYS ended up volunteering to step in and be the catcher for the "Dixie League" team; and, he loved it and kept of doing it through HS.

I tried the nasal pillows; but, kept pulling them out; so the wisp, for me, is a better choice. I still pull it off; but, usually that is when my mask is ‘breaking down’. It’s been 5 years since I was put in mine; and, a year since having 2nd ‘sleep studies’ done. This year they replaced my machine. They should be able to do that for you in 5 years. I chose to 'rent' mine so that 'any' repairs would be covered (and insurance still paid for it). After being replaced ... I have 2 C-pap machines. The new one I have is ‘so quiet’ I have to pull my mask off once to make sure I am getting air flow; and, snapping it back on will then set the mask to my face without any leaks. If I pull it off, I snore, and DH has to wake me to tell me to ‘put it back on’.

Heather – I like to mix a little mustard with mayonnaise to put on spinach or broccoli and other green veggies. I try not to use more than 1 Tbsp. of it at one time. Gee, so sorry to hear about the problems London has had this past week. Praying for all concerned. Sounded like, from the news, that it was just a random act and not something that any of the victims had been targeted.

Lenora
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Charleen: Your quilt is beautiful. Congratulations on your Grand Champion ribbon! :bigsmile:

Re: DH is grumpy about me being sore because he can't fix it. :heart:

Barbie: I can see your ticker, too. :bigsmile:

Becca: Sounds to me like you had a great time. Yay!!! :smiley:

Heather: Sending hugs to your DH. I hope his family worries are resolved soon. :flowerforyou:

Cheri: Good news that your move is under way. I hope everything goes smoothly. :smiley:

Yoga today, and we must get dog food! Our poor little guy is getting by with all sorts of less nourishing stuff at the moment. He's also been coughing due to dog hair down his throat. He's apparently blowing his coat. We have dog hair dust balls all over the house at the moment from his shedding. I soaked some bread in olive oil and added just a bit of chicken bouillon for flavor and he gobbled it right down. He is not currently coughing, so it must have helped to get the hair out of his throat. That was the goal. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Resolutions:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,714 Member
    Options
    Rini_s wrote: »
    Good morning, ladies! Working from home today so I can help MIL and go check out a wedding venue with DD and DFutureS and DH early after I am off work. I've been on plan for the week, but the dreaded weekend is upon me. I love weekends, but they don't help my healthier eating lifestyle. I'm hoping that the weekend won't take me off course as it usually finds a way to do. I truly want this to be a lifestyle change, and I can't do that if I make excuses for going off plan during the weekend. So...no excuses. I'm going to log everything and try to have healthy options for me when the rest of the house eats pizza, chips, cakes and ice cream all weekend (slight exaggeration). My kids have my husband's metabolism...tall and really lean/thin no matter what they eat. Then there's me.

Have a great Friday!

tell your kids to watch it tho, I used to be like that til about my late 20's. my goal used to be to gain weight. their metabolism will change and if they're used to eating bad now, it's gonna get harder to change their eating habits later.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    morning peeps -

usually today is spin day but since I'm trying to give myself a break I decided to run. I haven't run in 2 months since this bike challenge thing but now that it's over and the marathon is coming up, gotta start up again. i sometimes think, how in the hell did i do it the first time!
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Joyce - If yoou have not already made an appointment with your doctor, please do so asap. The unusual tiredness you seem to be experiencing could be due to a pending heart attack. The tiredness is one of the 7 warning signs.

We love ya and want to hear from you for a long time to come. <3

Charleen in Colorado
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All! I have been following this thread every day. It is nice that it is so active! I have been thinking about goals for the month. Never tried goals on a month to month basis so I will post them at the end.

Charleen, That quilt is Magnificent!

Barbie, I like the advice about reading the thread, thanks!

Katla, Thanks for making me reflect on goals for a short term basis

Michele, I live in the Harrisburg are of PA.

Thank god it is Friday even though I have payroll to finish today. Always makes for a crazy afternoon... The DH is off this weekend. (He works every other weekend.) We have to go to Penndot tomorrow morning to get my DL photo taken again as it expires this month. Hopefully it isn't too crowded. Dinner reservations for tomorrow night with the DSS. He hit a personal goal of his own and has been bugging us for awhile now to go for hard shells so we decided it would be a nice reward. Invited DBiL but he is off to camp for the weekend. Sunday will be Harley day weather permitting and it looks like it should.

Lenora- maybe you are like me and mosquitoes just don't like you or see you. My Mom and I have both been like that always. My DH on the other hand.... oh my! We went camping once and the next morning he was so bit up his eye was swelled shut and he was covered in welts. I didn't have a bite... He said it was because I am such a B**** even the mosquitoes didn't want me....LOL!

Have to check in later. Going to have to run to a meeting here shortly.

August Goals

Lose 4 pounds (from now)
    Get some form of exercise 3 times a week. (Going to check out some 50+ strength and flexibility videos on the telly to see if I can do or stand any of them.
    Log every bite.
    Resync and begin using fitbit again.
    Continue drinking at least 100oz of water every day (for Keto)
  • debbierichardson7186
    Options
    Haven't been able to read posts for awhile. DD is moving to China August 15. This is intended to be permanent. We are having a moving sale tomorrow.
    I have been logging and exercising. I lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks, have a little more energy, and can step up into our truck without lifting my leg with my hand.
    Will try to read posts and respond soon.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Good morning from cooler Nebraska. Only to be in the 70's the next couple days. I love it. I am working the 7-3:30 shift today. So am hoping to be able to get out and enjoy the day.
    Heather--Sorry to hear the trouble for DH's family is postphoned. Hugs.
    Charlene--Congrates on the ribbons. I am not surprised as beautiful quilt.
    Joyce--I sure wish I lived close enough to come over and take care of you and Charlie. Please get some rest and take care of you. Glad your test is next Wednesday. Maybe you should call the doctor and explain what is going on and see if he wants to move it up.
    Barbie--I can see it.
    I read that putting Vicks vapor rub on will keep the mosquitoes and bugs away. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to.
    Pat--Slow and steady wins the race. The important thing is to take it one day at a time and DO NOT give up.
    Been a really slow morning so caught up early. Now to get some work done. Have a great day and remember we are all in this together.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • MrsGLT
    MrsGLT Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new here although I've been using mfp off and on for a couple of years. I turned 56 on July 30th and when I turn 57 next year I'd like to be a whole lot healthier.
    I've been fighting this weight war far too long and it's time to have some victories. I've committed to tracking no matter what, and focusing on healthy, clean eating. I have 100+ pounds to lose and I know it won't be easy but it is possible.
    Grace in Texas
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 95
    BP-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    BR-5X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing-22X10X 30

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    3 miles

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Welcome Mrs GLT and JBATINKER

Charleen ~ As everyone else has said...congrats! Your quilt is stunning.

Carol
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    MrsGLT wrote: »
    Hi. I'm new here although I've been using mfp off and on for a couple of years. I turned 56 on July 30th and when I turn 57 next year I'd like to be a whole lot healthier.
    I've been fighting this weight war far too long and it's time to have some victories. I've committed to tracking no matter what, and focusing on healthy, clean eating. I have 100+ pounds to lose and I know it won't be easy but it is possible.
    Grace in Texas

Grace. Hi, and welcome...a few months ago I ate an entire bag of pretzel crisps and logged the whole thing - it is enlightening to post honestly...and is something I come back to again and again as a valuable tool in my endeavor. I hope you find a commitment to tracking is as helpful to you as it has been to many of us.

Joyce...I am worried about your fatigue and would like for you to be evaluated as soon as possible, I agree with the others, it's a red flag.

<3

Karen in Virginia

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Frankiesgirl22 - IF my husband just 'took' me camping ... I'd definitely be a *kitten*; but, not from any misquote bites he'd get. I don't relish a pup tent and no outside plumbing. I'm not even sure I'd like an RV either although we met some friends and spent the day with them. Something about sitting on a toilet with my feet in the shower just did not set well for me. Put me in a car and take me to a hotel/motel w/free Continental breakfast; then I will only need to eat 1 more meal and 'maybe' a snack. I will admit that I went over my CI; but, they about 'killed me' with the CO part. One day we walked on the beach for an hour, then went to the Zoo and walked 4 hours. Next day we went to the "Old Fort" and "Old Town" St. Augustine. The book-end days, walked the beach for at least another hour-and-a-half each. I was so sore by the 4th day, my legs were 'screaming'. Yesterday I could only walk like I was riding a horse. Thankfully, today no problem so I will go get in the pool before the afternoon thunder bumpers start.

Heather - What's the name of the company you ordered your perfumes from?

Lenora

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Lenora- Fortunately the camping days ARE behind us. We did spend the next night in a motel (last room on the island thank heaven) and the next day he took down the tent and tossed it in the garbage!. Lol! Now it is hotels and it MUST have a coffee maker in the room. Definitely sounds like you killed the CO! The worst part is that it always seems to hurt the worst on the 2nd day after an over done:(

@jbatinker - Today is a new day. We all will have ups and downs but you have owned it so that is a positive step. Drink lots of water, it always seems to help me when I have a 'bad food day hangover'. There is strength in numbers and we 50+ gals have plenty of those in more ways than one so there is no way we won't win this!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Oh my , stressing and ate 2 donuts....grrrrr
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Katla49: That is a great idea, using a Word document to save your month’s goals and responses. I have often wondered how you are able to always remember the Tibetan proverb and Thomas Edison quote, as well as your August Resolutions in all your posts. When I read how you just edit your document, I had a DOH moment (complete with a slap of my hand to my forehead)!

Charleen2: Congratulations on the Grand Champion Quilt! Oh my goodness, it is beautiful! I dabble with trying to make them but I think the most daring thing I’ve ever tried is a disappearing 9-patch and it sits in my basement waiting for me to finish it. You have a true talent. Love it.

Joyce in Indiana: I’m sorry you are feeling so much fatigue. I’m sure the humidity does not help with the shortness of breath. Take care of you! Call your doctor and make sure there isn’t anything serious going on!

Re in TX: Yes, I think you are right about having less goals. I have high hopes and big goals every month and maybe I need to start with just getting more water in and weighing less at the end of the month. I’d be thrilled with those two things. But I always feel like I should accomplish more because I have a WHOLE MONTH to do them in. Ha!

DJ: You are very astute! You are absolutely correct that I don’t log my food daily. Every time I get a streak going, I blow it. I get so frustrated with myself. But every day is a new beginning and I keep starting over. Thank you for the encouragement. It is my goal for August. It would be the first time I made it a whole month without missing a day, so we’ll see…

Fanncy0626: Was Babe the Blue Ox that was knocked over in the storm the one at Paul Bunyan in Brainerd? Is that where the severe weather went through?

MrsGLT: Welcome! This is a great group and I think you’ll find them very inspiring. You can do this!

Jbatinker:
    I have those kind of days way more often than I want. I think the good thing for me is that I do feel like crap when I do it…it is my reminder that when I eat crap, I feel like crap. Every day is a brand new start!

KetoneKaren:
    I love that you logged a whole bag of pretzel chips! I rarely get myself to do that. In my fantasy world, if I didn’t log it, it didn’t happen? Time for me to be real!

It’s week 2 of my 52 Small Changes to a Better Life quest. This book is laid out so simple but that doesn't mean I have an easy time incorporating the changes. Week 2 is getting more zzzzz’s. I have always, as long as I can remember, had trouble sleeping. I cannot even recall the last time I woke up and actually felt refreshed. So, this week I continued with Week 1’s challenge to take in more water and added some new nighttime tips for getting better rest. I downloaded an app on my iPad for Sleep Hypnosis, thinking it would be complete joke but willing to try anything. I have been using it for a week. Each night I have gotten a bit more restful sleep (according to my FitBit) starting as low as 2 hrs 25 minutes on Monday, and up to 5 hours and 51 minutes last night! Now I have no idea what the real reason is for my sleep getting better, but I’m not so sure I want to give up the hypnosis app anymore! LOL!

Hoping to start cycle 1 of The 17-Day Diet Breakthrough Edition on Monday. I do know dieting isn’t the way to approach my journey to get healthy and that fad diets don’t stick with you, but I really like a lot of the health and wellness points I have learned in this book and am hoping it will help guide me to make better overall choices. Hoping to finish the chapters in Cycle 1 tonight so I can put together a grocery list for tomorrow. I am also going to ask my husband to hide the candy and chips from me. It is so hard not to eat it when it is sitting in front of your face every day!

Well, happy Friday everyone! I hope you all have a nice weekend planned. I’m hoping to persuade my DH to take our little boat out and do some fishing up north tomorrow morning before the heat and humidity kick in…

Tracie in humid, hot and sticky Wisconsin

*If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got! Time for a change…*

August Goals:
    1. Weigh less at the end of the month than I did at the beginning of the month
    2. Incorporate some type of activity into my life and do it at least 3 times a week.
    3. Stop stressing and worrying about things I cannot change
    4. Enjoy every day to the fullest
    5. Log into MFP every day in the month of August