Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do Vegan diets for children really need to be outlawed?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    Don't most countries in the developed world already have "failure to thrive" laws in place? Why single out vegans?

It would be helpful if someone familiar with Italian law, with the cases that prompted this, and with the actual text of the law we are talking about to weigh in, but I don't think the proposed law does single out vegans.

I am not in favor of it still -- it seems to me the child welfare system should be able to handle it. But I know nothing about Italian law.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm childfree, have made my comments in this thread (some agree and others disagree... that is normal with most topics). Here's how I feel about "non-parents giving parenting advice" - I may not be a pilot, but when I see a helicopter in a tree, I know somebody screwed up.

With vegan diets, my point has been that it is fine as long as the kid is not suffering medical problems (such as malnutrition) as a result (same with any diet). Still, I see parents (who are apparently the experts) leaving their kids in hot cars, overdosing them on painkillers, and letting them play in murky water known to contain alligators. I don't have to be a parent, a meteorologist, a physician, or a wildlife biologist to know that these parents screwed up.

So are you for or against helicopter parenting kids that you aren't parenting? I can't follow.

I know it is really difficult to understand, but I'll repeat: It is fine as long as the kid is not suffering medical problems (such as malnutrition) as a result (same with any diet).

To expand on this in case it still isn't clear: Since children are considered to be vulnerable and unable to make sound decisions on their own, it is considered to be the parent / guardian's responsibility to make safe decisions for children. Sometimes, parents / guardians fail in that role. I support laws to protect children by punishing parents / guardians who fail their responsibilities.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm childfree, have made my comments in this thread (some agree and others disagree... that is normal with most topics). Here's how I feel about "non-parents giving parenting advice" - I may not be a pilot, but when I see a helicopter in a tree, I know somebody screwed up.

With vegan diets, my point has been that it is fine as long as the kid is not suffering medical problems (such as malnutrition) as a result (same with any diet). Still, I see parents (who are apparently the experts) leaving their kids in hot cars, overdosing them on painkillers, and letting them play in murky water known to contain alligators. I don't have to be a parent, a meteorologist, a physician, or a wildlife biologist to know that these parents screwed up.

So are you for or against helicopter parenting kids that you aren't parenting? I can't follow.

I know it is really difficult to understand, but I'll repeat: It is fine as long as the kid is not suffering medical problems (such as malnutrition) as a result (same with any diet).

To expand on this in case it still isn't clear: Since children are considered to be vulnerable and unable to make sound decisions on their own, it is considered to be the parent / guardian's responsibility to make safe decisions for children. Sometimes, parents / guardians fail in that role. I support laws to protect children by punishing parents / guardians who fail their responsibilities.

So they should do helicopter parenting, but only for medical issues? I'm still not clear.

Parents / guardians are fully responsible for the children in their care. Did I say "only for medical issues" somewhere?!

ETA: Since you are understanding something from my comment that I didn't say, then it is your fault for being unclear and not mine. I can do nothing to help you better understand aside from pointing out that you just made something up that wasn't in my comment and ask you to reflect on that fact before asking another question about something you make up.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan but remain very uncomfortable with the government stepping in to outlaw the way parents feed their kids EXCEPT when kids are clearly being neglected.
    :|
    And it's strange that vegan diets are so vilified in this age of a rampant obesity epidemic among both adults and children. I'm not saying outlaw obesity, but it just seems hypocritical and heavy-handed.
    nvbn0pv03ajr.jpg
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

So they should do helicopter parenting, but only for medical issues? I'm still not clear.
    I don't understand where you're getting at. Apparently it's gotten serious enough in Italy where they felt something needed to be done. It's not forcing parents to feed their children meat or anything at all, and it isn't helicopter parenting someone elses kids by including obvious malnutrition or emergency visits because of malnutrition as red flags that require visits by authorities.

You're utterly exhausting to read.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I think BreezeDoveal is either a super troll or doesn't read anything...
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I don't think any diet should be outlawed. It actually seems like it would be a form of discrimination to outlaw any diet. As mentioned earlier, it would be impossible to enforce. They would need to make a food police. Ha! Good luck with that one.

There is 0% proof that a vegan diet is unhealthy to kids.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    I think BreezeDoveal is either a super troll or doesn't read anything...

But that guy said "helicopter" and the only possible use of the word helicopter is in reference to a parenting style. There's just no way that it was being used metaphorically for something else entirely. If he'd referenced a train off its tracks instead of a helicopter in a tree, no doubt we'd be discussing how parents railroad their children into dietary choices or some such right now.

• rufus_187
    rufus_187 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't feed my kids 100% Vegan, but I'm against anyone telling me what I can and can't eat and how to feed my kids. Stop trying to over govern me.

The US gov't in particular is ridiculous. They think I'm too dumb to make good choices here in Philly and have a tax on sweet beverages (I say sweet since diet stuff is taxed too). However, I'm apparently smart enough to be able to go out tomorrow and buy an assault rifle. How does that make sense?

No. You can't go out tomorrow and buy an assault rifle unless you're doing so illegally. You can buy something that looks like an assault rifle but isn't. I hope you don't think ar15 stands for anything having to do with assault. The AR is a nod to the original manufacturer. I hope you don't listen to what ignorant people on TV say when they're spewing lies, ignorance, and misinformation...if so, the smart enough thing comes into play.
  • rufus_187
    rufus_187 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    rufus_187 wrote: »
    I wouldn't feed my kids 100% Vegan, but I'm against anyone telling me what I can and can't eat and how to feed my kids. Stop trying to over govern me.

The US gov't in particular is ridiculous. They think I'm too dumb to make good choices here in Philly and have a tax on sweet beverages (I say sweet since diet stuff is taxed too). However, I'm apparently smart enough to be able to go out tomorrow and buy an assault rifle. How does that make sense?

No. You can't go out tomorrow and buy an assault rifle unless you're doing so illegally. You can buy something that looks like an assault rifle but isn't. I hope you don't think ar15 stands for anything having to do with assault. The AR is a nod to the original manufacturer. I hope you don't listen to what ignorant people on TV say when they're spewing lies, ignorance, and misinformation...if so, the smart enough thing comes into play.

Consider this: in casual usage, "assault rifle" and "assault weapon" are commonly used interchangeably. You can bring up your concerns with this casual usage without going full Fox News on the person making the statement.

Honestly, if someone is shooting at me I am not too concerned with whether or not it is a semi-automatic or a fully automatic weapon.

Ehhh if we want to act like educated adults we should have a clue what the terminology means. As far as the Fox News comment, not a fan of any talking head morons. I form my opinions on life experience and education. And honestly if someone is shooting at you you're not going to be too concerned whether it is a musket, an 1870s lever action, or a bazooka...but as adults we should have a clue what we're talking about so we don't sound like mindless drones.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    I don't think any diet should be outlawed. It actually seems like it would be a form of discrimination to outlaw any diet. As mentioned earlier, it would be impossible to enforce. They would need to make a food police. Ha! Good luck with that one.

There is 0% proof that a vegan diet is unhealthy to kids.

I think the traditional diet of Papua New Guinea should be partially illegal, it leads to kuku disease of the brain.

Stay away from the prions.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Consider this: in casual usage, "assault rifle" and "assault weapon" are commonly used interchangeably. You can bring up your concerns with this casual usage without going full Fox News on the person making the statement.

Honestly, if someone is shooting at me I am not too concerned with whether or not it is a semi-automatic or a fully automatic weapon.

Ehhh if we want to act like educated adults we should have a clue what the terminology means. As far as the Fox News comment, not a fan of any talking head morons. I form my opinions on life experience and education. And honestly if someone is shooting at you you're not going to be too concerned whether it is a musket, an 1870s lever action, or a bazooka...but as adults we should have a clue what we're talking about so we don't sound like mindless drones.

As an educated adult, I understand that people commonly use "assault rifle" and "assault weapon" interchangeably and that them doing so has little to do with them being "smart enough."

You seem more interested in insulting those who don't refer to them the same way you do ("ignorant people," "mindless drones," etc). Do you think this is the most productive way to get your point across? There might have been an opportunity here to explain the difference between the two and how you disagree with the casual usage. The issue here isn't that people aren't as smart as you are.

I think there is a big difference at being shot at with certain types of weapons. Someone using a musket to shoot at me, for example, is going to have significant differences in terms of reloading speed, firing rate, and aiming from someone using a modern semi-automatic weapon. If I had to choose between the two situations, assuming I couldn't get out of being shot at, I would choose the musket for sure.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Tis true. I can't buy an assault rifle tomorrow....

I can, however, by an AR-15 tomorrow and convert it to auto in what? 20 minutes? Or I can buy all the parts for an AK tomorrow and put it together...