Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do Vegan diets for children really need to be outlawed?

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I think it should be encouraged for kids to be vegan and eat healthy. I mean why is it not illegal to kids kids garbage microwaved food or fast food? But not feeding them animal products is so bad?

I prefer to simplify...

Cool for you dude. I like to be more precise.

Ok I'll bite. I meant to say more accurate, I was being nice. Why must one be vegan to be healthy?

P.sure no one said that. However lots of kids have food allergies and intolerances to eggs and dairy yet it's stuffed down their throats as "healthy" when it clearly isn't if you get sick from it and don't know why you have a tummy ach everyday. Speaking from personal experience.

I would love to know WHY so many kids have food allergies and intolerance's these days! I didn't know one single kid in all of my childhood and teen years that could not eat this or that food, Everyone was "normal" back then.

I agree... when I was a kid, nobody had a peanut allergy. Now, it seems like there are at least 2 or 3 in every classroom. How did that change so quickly? Is there science that explains how a delicious legume became so dangerous so quickly?!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    bshrom wrote: »
    Feed your kids foods that you can't even pronounce let alone begin to understand what it actually is and nobody bats an eye. Feed your kids veggies, fruits, plant based proteins, and whole grains and everybody's flying off the handle. I love how when you consume a SAD(standard American diet) nobody cares at all but they find out your vegan and suddenly everyone is a frickin nutritionist.

Lol how childish, thinking that if you can't pronounce something you shouldn't eat it. Do you know the composition of a blueberry? Are you a fan of Food Babe?
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Vegans who want their kids to be vegan need to take the time to really plan the additional nutrients that a growing child needs. No doubt that there are kids that are thriving on veganism. My only problem is that as much thought as it takes for an adult to get all the required nutrients, it's THAT MUCH harder to provide adequate nutrition unless you really know your stuff, which it seems that the parents with malnourished children DON'T.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Feed your kids foods that you can't even pronounce let alone begin to understand what it actually is and nobody bats an eye. Feed your kids veggies, fruits, plant based proteins, and whole grains and everybody's flying off the handle. I love how when you consume a SAD(standard American diet) nobody cares at all but they find out your vegan and suddenly everyone is a frickin nutritionist.

Lol how childish, thinking that if you can't pronounce something you shouldn't eat it. Do you know the composition of a blueberry? Are you a fan of Food Babe?

I will never forgive that idiot for the Subway/azodicarbonamide/eating a *kitten* yoga mat incident. I have NEVER seen such a complete lack of understanding of basic chemistry in my life.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I will never forgive that idiot for the Subway/azodicarbonamide/eating a *kitten* yoga mat incident. I have NEVER seen such a complete lack of understanding of basic chemistry in my life.

Cosign
  • ogmomma2012
    Options

I know, Science Babe for the win! :) GO GMOs!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think it should be encouraged for kids to be vegan and eat healthy. I mean why is it not illegal to kids kids garbage microwaved food or fast food? But not feeding them animal products is so bad?

I prefer to simplify...

Ok I'll bite. I meant to say more accurate, I was being nice. Why must one be vegan to be healthy?

P.sure no one said that. However lots of kids have food allergies and intolerances to eggs and dairy yet it's stuffed down their throats as "healthy" when it clearly isn't if you get sick from it and don't know why you have a tummy ach everyday. Speaking from personal experience.

I would love to know WHY so many kids have food allergies and intolerance's these days! I didn't know one single kid in all of my childhood and teen years that could not eat this or that food, Everyone was "normal" back then.

Maybe parents are paying attention now when their kid says they have a stomach ache. No one listened to me until I was 16 and pooped like 8 times a day
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I prefer to simplify...

Maybe parents are paying attention now when their kid says they have a stomach ache. No one listened to me until I was 16 and pooped like 8 times a day

I don't think it's quite that simple.. My parents never ignored me when i complained of a tummy ache. And i'm sure even the most neglectful of parents would notice if their kids face puffed up and were struggling to breath after eating peanuts or whatever food induced their symptoms.
  • Zealand4530
    Zealand4530 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Parents need to use a little common sense. Most kids on a vegan only diet probably wouldn't get the proper nutrition. Takes a lot of work not saying it can't be done. Inform your child of smart choices make sure they eat plenty of veggies and fruit ....limit there intake of meat. They will figure it out themselves let them eat a wide range of food when they are growing. Limit bad choices but also let them be kids.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    BauerNXG wrote: »
    Parents need to use a little common sense. Most kids on a vegan only diet probably wouldn't get the proper nutrition. Takes a lot of work not saying it can't be done. Inform your child of smart choices make sure they eat plenty of veggies and fruit ....limit there intake of meat. They will figure it out themselves let them eat a wide range of food when they are growing. Limit bad choices but also let them be kids.

Good points.
  • littlechiaseed
    Options

Why wouldn't they get proper nutrition? How many kids on "regular" diets get proper nutrition? How many fat kids you see now? When I was little there was like 2 fat kids in each grade, and they weren't like as fat as kids now.
  • Christine_72
    edited August 2016
    Options

Why wouldn't they get proper nutrition? How many kids on "regular" diets get proper nutrition? How many fat kids you see now? When I was little there was like 2 fat kids in each grade, and they weren't like as fat as kids now.

I think coming up with a 100% balanced vegan diet would require quite a bit of work for an adult, let a lone a growing child. Sure, many parents would put in the effort, but many would not.
    And i agree, there are plenty of fat kids or kids who eat regular diets who are malnourished and have terrible diets. There is a middle ground in there somewhere, with out taking it to extremes on either end.
  • Zealand4530
    Zealand4530 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Cause a lot of parents can't even properly fuel themselves never mind a growing child. Most people don't get enough protein so to take a huge protein source away from a growing child is not a great idea. Kids are fat cause parents fail at teaching proper eating habits. Instead of good grains proteins and veggies they eat processed *kitten* cause it's easier and cheaper for the parents. Ever notice how everywhere in grocery store it has low fat low carb low calorie food and more people are fatter than ever!
  • littlechiaseed
    Options

Cause a lot of parents can't even properly fuel themselves never mind a growing child. Most people don't get enough protein so to take a huge protein source away from a growing child is not a great idea. Kids are fat cause parents fail at teaching proper eating habits. Instead of good grains proteins and veggies they eat processed *kitten* cause it's easier and cheaper for the parents. Ever notice how everywhere in grocery store it has low fat low carb low calorie food and more people are fatter than ever!

I don't think that most people don't get enough protein, I think most people eat too much protein and fat and lack lack vitamins from a low fruit/veg intake.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

I don't think that most people don't get enough protein, I think most people eat too much protein and fat and lack lack vitamins from a low fruit/veg intake.

Just means they aren't eating enough offal. Seriously, the sooner people move past the "organ meat is icky" mentality, all vitamin deficiencies on fat/protein heavy diets go away. For everything else, there's a supplement, which is really no different than Vegans having to supplement B12, or D3.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I prefer to simplify...

Unless I read it wring, you just did, or you eluded to it. If you did not and I am wrong I apologize...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

"Garbage microwaved food or fast food" can be Vegan friendly as well, as I'm sure you well know.

Yup point?

I'll play. His point is you can be vegan and have a *kitten* diet. Vegan of course can be very healthy, just not any healthier then any number of balanced diets one could follow...

No kitten Sherlock.

Wow, you are pleasant.
    So why did you ask what his point was?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Actually even for people on MFP who are actively tracking macros, protein is the most difficult one to hit adequate levels. It's very unlikely that the average person just lucks into sufficient protein levels, especially if the rest of the diet is nutrient poor.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Actually even for people on MFP who are actively tracking macros, protein is the most difficult one to hit adequate levels. It's very unlikely that the average person just lucks into sufficient protein levels, especially if the rest of the diet is nutrient poor.

I always found that odd, but then again, I am about as close as one can get to being an obligate carnivore, without being an actual cat. Oh, and I do like spinach and various forms of cabbage; my cat, not so much.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I prefer to simplify...

I don't think it's quite that simple.. My parents never ignored me when i complained of a tummy ache. And i'm sure even the most neglectful of parents would notice if their kids face puffed up and were struggling to breath after eating peanuts or whatever food induced their symptoms.

Allergy symptoms are varied, so you're right, it really isn't that simple. The symptoms run thr gamut from stomach aches, multiple bowel movements, itchy throat, itchy skin, flushing, runny nose and eyes, rash, hives, labored breathing, racing heart, all the way up to anaphylaxis , and any combo of the above thereof.

So basically the symptoms look like any other of the hundreds of common childhood afflictions. The difference is, these days when a baby/child has an issue, they are immediately checked for allergies. They werent as understood way back when so it wasn't immediately diagnosed.

My kid not only has a current peanut allergy/ tree nut/ soy/egg allergy but has seemingly grew out of an shellfish/apple/carrot/celery one. Currently doing a food challenge with eggs under her allergists supervision.