Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do Vegan diets for children really need to be outlawed?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I would certainly hope not! My vegan 22-month old is taller than 4 and 5 year olds, eats like a champ, and her doctor thinks she's absolutely thriving and wouldn't change a thing. I think feeding a vegan diet to children gets a bad rap because you hear of parents restricting their childs diet to the point of starvation/malnutrition, which can happen on ANY way of eating...we make sure our child is getting enough of all her nutrients, and she will eat nearly anything we put in front of her...animal products aside.

For the record, I'm vegan and my husband is about as far from vegan as you can be. We both have a dairy allergy and our child does too, so dairy is off the table. However, we have tried giving her meat and eggs, and they are some of the ONLY foods she flat out refuses. We still offer them when my husband is eating them, but she'd rather devour his quinoa and broccoli. Which is fine by us, we just make sure her nutritional needs are met. If she EVER wants to eat animal products, I will have no problem with that, but my point is, she is FAR from missing out on anything she needs on a vegan diet.

you realize the bolded part has nothing to do with diet, right?

The reason they want to outlaw the dietary choice for children is because of recent incidences of death due to malnutrition. She wouldn't be 3.5 feet tall and thriving if she was malnourished, so yes, it does have to do with diet. Would she be as tall and thriving on a different diet? Probably. The point was that she is NOT malnourished and SUFFERING because of a vegan diet. "failure to thrive" is a medical dx that is very commonly associated with poor nutritional health. "You do realize the bolded part has nothing to do with diet?" No, but I do realize that you are clearly not an expert.

a non-vegan child can be properly nourished.

The things you are noticing with your child are based on genetics and not whether or not said child is eating vegan.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    Children shouldn't be force fed an eating disorder... but I also hate the nanny state.

The main reason is because my daughter came home from school (PUBLIC) devastated one day. They had done the height/weight tests and slapped labels on them and sent them home with their fresh new stickers including, "normal" "overweight" and "obese" Oh. And shan't forget "morbidly obese." My daughter-who at the time was 5'2" and weighed 120-ish pounds was sent home with a shiny "OBESE" sticker. Talk about force feeding an eating disorder? Soon after this, she stopped eating dinner, stopped taking her lunch to school... rarely ate breakfast. Those *kitten* had her believing she was obese! At 10 years of age! I had a struggle with her for years over that crap.

Five two and 120 lb is far from obese! It's "thick" maybe.... I wouldn't even call it remotely fat.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Children shouldn't be force fed an eating disorder... but I also hate the nanny state.

The main reason is because my daughter came home from school (PUBLIC) devastated one day. They had done the height/weight tests and slapped labels on them and sent them home with their fresh new stickers including, "normal" "overweight" and "obese" Oh. And shan't forget "morbidly obese." My daughter-who at the time was 5'2" and weighed 120-ish pounds was sent home with a shiny "OBESE" sticker. Talk about force feeding an eating disorder? Soon after this, she stopped eating dinner, stopped taking her lunch to school... rarely ate breakfast. Those *kitten* had her believing she was obese! At 10 years of age! I had a struggle with her for years over that crap.

Five two and 120 lb is far from obese! It's "thick" maybe.... I wouldn't even call it remotely fat.

I'm 5 ft 2 and if I was 120 I'd be healthy. It's not obese, not even overweight. It's in the normal range, I can't imagine why they did that!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Given that it is possible for children to thrive as vegans, I think it would be absolute governmental over-reach for it to be outlawed. Child abuse -- including malnourishment -- should absolutely be against the law. But forcing parents to feed their children animal products? No way.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Force fed an eating disorder? This is laughable.

So which is it? We can teach our kids to eat healthily and not be huge couch potatoes, or we can feed them all the garbage and give them video games so they are big enough not to be "flagged" as too small... and then labeled as obese when they are clearly NOT obese.

Not sure what test they would have used. BMI, which is the height/weight 5'2 120lbs is smack dab in the middle of healthy range. She medically wouldn't be considered obese until 160lbs.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »

So which is it? We can teach our kids to eat healthily and not be huge couch potatoes, or we can feed them all the garbage and give them video games so they are big enough not to be "flagged" as too small... and then labeled as obese when they are clearly NOT obese.

Not sure what test they would have used. BMI, which is the height/weight 5'2 120lbs is smack dab in the middle of healthy range. She medically wouldn't be considered obese until 160lbs.

Children have a different BMI chart. According to the child chart, she is overweight (I'm not defending what the school did -- I am horrified by this story).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'd like to see the text of the law (translated, or I'd find it myself). Although the motivation relates to certain incidents resulting from badly-constructed vegan diets, if it says "lacking essential nutrients" (as seems to be the case) and the issue is not supplementing B12 or having a deficient diet that results in malnutrition, that's a different thing than assuming that vegan diets inherently lack essential nutrients, which is not the case.

I still find it troubling, as it would be hard to enforce and so done inconsistently, and there can be medical issues that appear to be related to malnutrition (like malabsorption problems) that appear to be the parents' fault but are not.

Haven't there been some cases here with babies/children being fed inadequate diets that resulted in prosecution?

Edit--yes, here are a couple of examples:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/11/08/child.starved/

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/03/24/ctv.swinton/

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I would certainly hope not! My vegan 22-month old is taller than 4 and 5 year olds, eats like a champ, and her doctor thinks she's absolutely thriving and wouldn't change a thing. I think feeding a vegan diet to children gets a bad rap because you hear of parents restricting their childs diet to the point of starvation/malnutrition, which can happen on ANY way of eating...we make sure our child is getting enough of all her nutrients, and she will eat nearly anything we put in front of her...animal products aside.

For the record, I'm vegan and my husband is about as far from vegan as you can be. We both have a dairy allergy and our child does too, so dairy is off the table. However, we have tried giving her meat and eggs, and they are some of the ONLY foods she flat out refuses. We still offer them when my husband is eating them, but she'd rather devour his quinoa and broccoli. Which is fine by us, we just make sure her nutritional needs are met. If she EVER wants to eat animal products, I will have no problem with that, but my point is, she is FAR from missing out on anything she needs on a vegan diet.

Technically, the proposed Italian law, according to my reading of the article, penalizes vegan diets that result in malnourishment. So if the child is thriving, regardless of diet, no one is going to jail. The law would worry me a bit because children can have absorption issues, like adults, and it seems possible that parents who aren't negligent could be penalized too, if it was assumed that the diet was the problem.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Children have a different BMI chart. According to the child chart, she is overweight (I'm not defending what the school did -- I am horrified by this story).

hmm...I was looking at a BMI chart for girls aged 2-20 and it indicated at 5'2 120 was in the normal range.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't feed my kids 100% Vegan, but I'm against anyone telling me what I can and can't eat and how to feed my kids. Stop trying to over govern me.

The US gov't in particular is ridiculous. They think I'm too dumb to make good choices here in Philly and have a tax on sweet beverages (I say sweet since diet stuff is taxed too). However, I'm apparently smart enough to be able to go out tomorrow and buy an assault rifle. How does that make sense?

Over 2/3 of the US is overweight or obese. Seems like a lot of people have issues making choices.
  • janejellyroll
    edited August 2016
    Options

hmm...I was looking at a BMI chart for girls aged 2-20 and it indicated at 5'2 120 was in the normal range.

I used this one, from the CDC website. However, I am not an expert and it may not be the most up-to-date way to measure. https://nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/calculator.aspx
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here in this province a couple were found guilty of killing their toddler, who died of meningitis. The couple, who ran their own health food business tried to treat their increasingly sick child with mustard plasters and the like. All natural. No visit to a conventional doctor or an emergency room until it was much, much too late.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/lethbridge-meningitis-trial-sentence-parents-toddler-died-1.3650653

Essential micronutrients that a growing child needs include B12, the omega 3 fatty acids, and vitamin D are not easily fulfilled on a vegan diet. No matter how well researched and earnest the parents may be.

What does that article have to do with a vegan diet? Those parents refused to get medical treatment for their child. Not really the same thing.