Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do Vegan diets for children really need to be outlawed?

GaleHawkins
GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/09/parents-forcing-vegan-diet-on-their-children-face-prison-time-un/

I do not know the Vegan way of eating but in the USA I expect many of the kids not being forced to eat Vagan are deficient diet wise.

Replies

• Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Children shouldn't be force fed an eating disorder... but I also hate the nanny state.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    I don't see why it should. I would check with a doctor to make sure there isn't something I am missing for a kid, but an adult can surely get all the nutrients they need in a vegan diet when done right (like any diet)
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    I would certainly hope not! My vegan 22-month old is taller than 4 and 5 year olds, eats like a champ, and her doctor thinks she's absolutely thriving and wouldn't change a thing. I think feeding a vegan diet to children gets a bad rap because you hear of parents restricting their childs diet to the point of starvation/malnutrition, which can happen on ANY way of eating...we make sure our child is getting enough of all her nutrients, and she will eat nearly anything we put in front of her...animal products aside.

This.

My children are not vegan though I eat vegan 99% of the time (sometimes I cheat; I am vegan only by choice for health reasons), and I prepare vegan family meals (supper). They eat meat, eggs, and dairy for their own meals (breakfast, lunch). I have several cousins who are vegan and raise their children vegan. They are very healthy and thriving. We also need to realize that the size/weight charts are based on kids that are NOT vegan. Most of them are having formula as babies and slim jims, twinkies, and kool aid for lunch by 1 1/2.

I am opposed to not nourishing your kids--that includes giving them so much garbage food that they have constant sugar highs. Kids are getting diabetes and heart disease! That is a bigger concern to me than whether someone's healthy vegan (perhaps smaller than the average non-vegan kid) kid is drinking milk from a plant rather than from a cow's boob... Vegan kids are MUCH less picky--eating lots of veggies, fruits, legumes, tubers, etc. Smaller in size doesn't necessarily mean less healthy. Also, most vegans don't give their babies some loopy substitute for formula. They typically breastfeed them-also the healthier alternative.

I'm sure it's a regional thing...but what is a "tuber"?

I did breastfeed until my supply dropped drastically after illness. We had to get a prescription formula because that's when we discovered her very severe dairy allergy. But yeah, aside from that formula, she's not had any processed food or juice. And she's huge. She's literally gigantic. Definitely not lacking in anything and her doctor has confirmed this. Policing food choices is insanity. Like, I'm not going to say it's criminal to get your kid a gas station hot dog, so please don't call me a criminal because my kid prefers black beans and curry!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member

I'm sure it's a regional thing...but what is a "tuber"?

I did breastfeed until my supply dropped drastically after illness. We had to get a prescription formula because that's when we discovered her very severe dairy allergy. But yeah, aside from that formula, she's not had any processed food or juice. And she's huge. She's literally gigantic. Definitely not lacking in anything and her doctor has confirmed this. Policing food choices is insanity. Like, I'm not going to say it's criminal to get your kid a gas station hot dog, so please don't call me a criminal because my kid prefers black beans and curry!

Tubers include all the potatoes-white, red, russet, sweet, etc.

• MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    edited August 2016
    I don't think your diet has anything to do with height of your children. It's genetics. My 9 year old has always been the tallest baby/toddler/child. She's 5'2 while the rest of her 4th grade class is under 4'7. I'm 5'11. Her dad is 6'7. My sister is 5'11. My dad was 6'5. My aunt is 6'2. My first cousins (on my dad's side) are 6'2+ (female and male) We're just tall. She was going to be tall regardless if I breastfed or not or if she ate meat or just veggies.

I don't think it should be outlawed, but I do think people need to be educated. You can't feed a newborn just water and liquefied carrots. As long as your child isn't starved, feed them whatever works for you.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here in this province a couple were found guilty of killing their toddler, who died of meningitis. The couple, who ran their own health food business tried to treat their increasingly sick child with mustard plasters and the like. All natural. No visit to a conventional doctor or an emergency room until it was much, much too late.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/lethbridge-meningitis-trial-sentence-parents-toddler-died-1.3650653

Essential micronutrients that a growing child needs include B12, the omega 3 fatty acids, and vitamin D are not easily fulfilled on a vegan diet. No matter how well researched and earnest the parents may be.

Being an idiot about medication <> vegan. While you often find the "natural = better" BS with vegans it's certainly not part of the deal, and there are plenty of non-vegans who are just as crazy when it comes to modern medicine.

Also omega 3 is really easy to get eating vegan. You are right about the B12 and D, though. That's tough unless it's through fortified foods, and that's probably not enough.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    MissTattoo wrote: »
    I don't think your diet has anything to do with height of your children. It's genetics. My 9 year old has always been the tallest baby/toddler/child. She's 5'2 while the rest of her 4th grade class is under 4'7. I'm 5'11. Her dad is 6'7. My sister is 5'11. My dad was 6'5. My aunt is 6'2. My first cousins (on my dad's side) are 6'2+ (female and male) We're just tall. She was going to be tall regardless if I breastfed or not or if she ate meat or just veggies.

I don't think it should be outlawed, but I do think people need to be educated. You can't feed a newborn just water and liquefied carrots. As long as your child isn't starved, feed them whatever works for you.

I'm fully aware that her height is genetics...but she wouldn't be reaching that height if she was malnourished or deficient nutrient-wise, which is the reasoning behind the law they are trying to pass in the article.

so are you saying that non-vegans are malnourished???