Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do Vegan diets for children really need to be outlawed?

Options

Replies

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    BauerNXG wrote: »
    Parents need to use a little common sense. Most kids on a vegan only diet probably wouldn't get the proper nutrition. Takes a lot of work not saying it can't be done. Inform your child of smart choices make sure they eat plenty of veggies and fruit ....limit there intake of meat. They will figure it out themselves let them eat a wide range of food when they are growing. Limit bad choices but also let them be kids.

Why wouldn't they get proper nutrition? How many kids on "regular" diets get proper nutrition? How many fat kids you see now? When I was little there was like 2 fat kids in each grade, and they weren't like as fat as kids now.

Cause a lot of parents can't even properly fuel themselves never mind a growing child. Most people don't get enough protein so to take a huge protein source away from a growing child is not a great idea. Kids are fat cause parents fail at teaching proper eating habits. Instead of good grains proteins and veggies they eat processed *kitten* cause it's easier and cheaper for the parents. Ever notice how everywhere in grocery store it has low fat low carb low calorie food and more people are fatter than ever!

I don't think that most people don't get enough protein, I think most people eat too much protein and fat and lack lack vitamins from a low fruit/veg intake.

Actually even for people on MFP who are actively tracking macros, protein is the most difficult one to hit adequate levels. It's very unlikely that the average person just lucks into sufficient protein levels, especially if the rest of the diet is nutrient poor.

Most people is an average person just eating enough to maintain which isn't a lot of protein. People on mfp goals are generally to lose weight or gain muscle which are vastly different from someone just eating the minimum to maintain.

• The_Original_Beauty
    The_Original_Beauty Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would say no, if you know how to do it properly and healthy. Any diet can be unhealthy, look at the 'typical' american diet, look how much some kids eat fast food, and food products...look at the obesity rates...More kids are suffering and dying from this then being vegan. Why hasn't any of this been banned?
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My mother forced me to eat wholesome plant foods when I was very young. By the age of 7, I was snacking on raw radishes (by choice). I thank her to this day. Obesity, Diabetes, Strokes, Heart Disease, and Cancer does not run in our family. Nothing wrong with veganism. My mom even did professional modeling in the 80's on a plant-based diet.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    VividVegan wrote: »
    My mother forced me to eat wholesome plant foods when I was very young. By the age of 7, I was snacking on raw radishes (by choice). I thank her to this day. Obesity, Diabetes, Strokes, Heart Disease, and Cancer does not run in our family. Nothing wrong with veganism. My mom even did professional modeling in the 80's on a plant-based diet.

Absolutely agree there is nothing wrong with veganism.

Having said that, would you agree that veganism is no more inherently healthy then any other balanced diet that provides the body with all its nutrients?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I would say no, if you know how to do it properly and healthy. Any diet can be unhealthy, look at the 'typical' american diet, look how much some kids eat fast food, and food products...look at the obesity rates...More kids are suffering and dying from this then being vegan. Why hasn't any of this been banned?

You do know this thread is not about the US (the proposed law is in Italy) and was prompted by unhealthful versions of the diet, right? That's in the article linked.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Parents need to use a little common sense. Most kids on a vegan only diet probably wouldn't get the proper nutrition. Takes a lot of work not saying it can't be done. Inform your child of smart choices make sure they eat plenty of veggies and fruit ....limit there intake of meat. They will figure it out themselves let them eat a wide range of food when they are growing. Limit bad choices but also let them be kids.

Why wouldn't they get proper nutrition? How many kids on "regular" diets get proper nutrition? How many fat kids you see now? When I was little there was like 2 fat kids in each grade, and they weren't like as fat as kids now.

Cause a lot of parents can't even properly fuel themselves never mind a growing child. Most people don't get enough protein so to take a huge protein source away from a growing child is not a great idea. Kids are fat cause parents fail at teaching proper eating habits. Instead of good grains proteins and veggies they eat processed *kitten* cause it's easier and cheaper for the parents. Ever notice how everywhere in grocery store it has low fat low carb low calorie food and more people are fatter than ever!

I don't think that most people don't get enough protein, I think most people eat too much protein and fat and lack lack vitamins from a low fruit/veg intake.

Just means they aren't eating enough offal. Seriously, the sooner people move past the "organ meat is icky" mentality, all vitamin deficiencies on fat/protein heavy diets go away. For everything else, there's a supplement, which is really no different than Vegans having to supplement B12, or D3.
    No, I love that livers are dirt cheap. Keep the stigma! I just wish it were easier to acquire more variety. At Kroger, it's just chicken gizzards, hearts, and livers.

One theory for the rise in allergies are environments that are too sterile.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    Most of them are having formula as babies and slim jims, twinkies, and kool aid for lunch by 1 1/2.

Putting formula and slim jims/twinkies/kool-aid in the same sentence is *kitten* rude. I was unable to nurse and my son turned out just fine with a very healthy BMI. Get off your high horse.
    I agree @shinycrazy. Not to threadjack, but I was offended by that comment as well.

I have formula fed all my kids and they turned out fine. None are obese. I'm pregnant now, and I'm going to formula feed this one too. I'm not trying to have the stress of weaning a baby at 8 weeks when I have to go back to work while juggling the newness of having 3 kids, and getting a routine down for my 2 hour a day commute and 40 hour work week. If I got 6 months off paid, I'd breast feed...but I have no desire to spend hours pumping at work and storing my breast milk in the fridge with your lean cuisines.

I breastfed and still found that comment horrible.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »

Just means they aren't eating enough offal. Seriously, the sooner people move past the "organ meat is icky" mentality, all vitamin deficiencies on fat/protein heavy diets go away. For everything else, there's a supplement, which is really no different than Vegans having to supplement B12, or D3.
    No, I love that livers are dirt cheap. Keep the stigma! I just wish it were easier to acquire more variety. At Kroger, it's just chicken gizzards, hearts, and livers.

One theory for the rise in allergies are environments that are too sterile.

I've been able to find the things you mentioned, as well as beef tripe, liver, heart, and tongue. For anything other than that, I'd have to bail on the mainstream stores, and go to hispanic and asian markets.
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If the parents are educated and are feeding their children nutritiously, and breastfeeding when needed, there should be no problem. They are helping their child be healthier. The same could be said for parents who feed their children processed unhealthy foods. That can be a problem for the kids health.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Absolutely agree there is nothing wrong with veganism.

Having said that, would you agree that veganism is no more inherently healthy then any other balanced diet that provides the body with all its nutrients?

There are other ways of eating that can be beneficial, of course. What I dislike are the stereotypes that vegans don't get enough protein or lack muscle or only do it for animal rights. That isn't always the case. As for me getting fed a lot of plant based foods and raw vegetables, fruits, etc during childhood. There were children in the grade school I attended who ate only fried greasy foods that their parents fed them (mainly fast foods). Didn't turn out well and quite a few were obese. If they want to eat meat, their parents should at least introduce them to lean meats. I was pescetarian at one point. Ate a lot of lean meat (fish to be precise).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    brichards_ wrote: »
    If the parents are educated and are feeding their children nutritiously, and breastfeeding when needed, there should be no problem. They are helping their child be healthier. The same could be said for parents who feed their children processed unhealthy foods. That can be a problem for the kids health.

I'm confused about the recommendation that you would mix breast feeding when needed with whatever diet a parent is feeding their child. Presumably, the vegan diet would follow the period of time when an infant would be either breast fed or formula fed... There may be some period of time where there is overlap but many of the initial weaning foods are usually fruits, vegetables and cereals...

Care to qualify the "processed unhealthy foods" comment with some examples, as well as dosage?

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I'm confused about the recommendation that you would mix breast feeding when needed with whatever diet a parent is feeding their child. Presumably, the vegan diet would follow the period of time when an infant would be either breast fed or formula fed... There may be some period of time where there is overlap but many of the initial weaning foods are usually fruits, vegetables and cereals...

Care to qualify the "processed unhealthy foods" comment with some examples, as well as dosage?

I thought vegans couldn't breastfeed vegan babies as the breast milk is an animal product:
    http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/115985/is_breastmilk_vegan_enough_for

I actually wondered about that as I was typing it, but I've known a couple of vegans who breastfed so I'm not sure what the rules are there... The point I was trying to make was that the solid food diet usually comes after an infant is weaned off of formula or breast milk, with some overlap of puréed and soft table foods, but the primary nutrition for an infants first year comes from the formula or breast milk. Of course there are some who continue with breast feeding after the first year and that's an individual's choice... I just didn't understand what the poster I quoted meant with their comments related to supplementing a nutrient poor diet with breastfeeding...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You can't exploit animals, but breastfeeding your own child wouldn't be considered exploitation.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I thought vegans couldn't breastfeed vegan babies as the breast milk is an animal product:
    http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/115985/is_breastmilk_vegan_enough_for

Those babies! Always exploiting their mother.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    Vegan diet is great . Everyone should eat one :D
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

My family wasn't vegan or vegetarian, but my mum cooked uber healthy meals and sent me to school with sprouts,salad on my sandwiches and a side of veggies etc etc . Nobody ever wanted to trade their lunch with me :sad: I sometimes got teased for what i had in my lunch box. All i wanted was a peanut butter sandwich like the other kids!!! I got to buy the lunch of my choice once a week, which was always a hotdog or chicken burger.

My long winded point is, dont make your kid stand out in school, try and pack relatively "normal" looking food, kids can be stupid and cruel.