Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do Vegan diets for children really need to be outlawed?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    VividVegan wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    My mother forced me to eat wholesome plant foods when I was very young. By the age of 7, I was snacking on raw radishes (by choice). I thank her to this day. Obesity, Diabetes, Strokes, Heart Disease, and Cancer does not run in our family. Nothing wrong with veganism. My mom even did professional modeling in the 80's on a plant-based diet.

Absolutely agree there is nothing wrong with veganism.

Having said that, would you agree that veganism is no more inherently healthy then any other balanced diet that provides the body with all its nutrients?

There are other ways of eating that can be beneficial, of course. What I dislike are the stereotypes that vegans don't get enough protein or lack muscle or only do it for animal rights. That isn't always the case. As for me getting fed a lot of plant based foods and raw vegetables, fruits, etc during childhood. There were children in the grade school I attended who ate only fried greasy foods that their parents fed them (mainly fast foods). Didn't turn out well and quite a few were obese. If they want to eat meat, their parents should at least introduce them to lean meats. I was pescetarian at one point. Ate a lot of lean meat (fish to be precise).

Agreed...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My mother forced me to eat wholesome plant foods when I was very young. By the age of 7, I was snacking on raw radishes (by choice). I thank her to this day. Obesity, Diabetes, Strokes, Heart Disease, and Cancer does not run in our family. Nothing wrong with veganism. My mom even did professional modeling in the 80's on a plant-based diet.

My family wasn't vegan or vegetarian, but my mum cooked uber healthy meals and sent me to school with sprouts,salad on my sandwiches and a side of veggies etc etc . Nobody ever wanted to trade their lunch with me :sad: I sometimes got teased for what i had in my lunch box. All i wanted was a peanut butter sandwich like the other kids!!! I got to buy the lunch of my choice once a week, which was always a hotdog or chicken burger.

My long winded point is, dont make your kid stand out in school, try and pack relatively "normal" looking food, kids can be stupid and cruel.
    Instead of healthy food delivered by uber, they should have packed you healthy vegan food. You could have sat at the vegan tables and traded food with them.

Haha, she cooked very healthy meals, there were no vegan kids in my school, and if there were, they kept it well hidden!

I wrote my last post after getting a flashback from childhood, it's still very clear in my mind. Aah the little things that will bother kids..
  • Christine_72
    Options
    BreezeDove, your posts have always and continue to confuse me :worried:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

My family wasn't vegan or vegetarian, but my mum cooked uber healthy meals and sent me to school with sprouts,salad on my sandwiches and a side of veggies etc etc . Nobody ever wanted to trade their lunch with me :sad: I sometimes got teased for what i had in my lunch box. All i wanted was a peanut butter sandwich like the other kids!!! I got to buy the lunch of my choice once a week, which was always a hotdog or chicken burger.

My long winded point is, dont make your kid stand out in school, try and pack relatively "normal" looking food, kids can be stupid and cruel.
    Instead of healthy food delivered by uber, they should have packed you healthy vegan food. You could have sat at the vegan tables and traded food with them.

Haha, she cooked very healthy meals, there were no vegan kids in my school, and if there were, they kept it well hidden!

I wrote my last post after getting a flashback from childhood, it's still very clear in my mind. Aah the little things that will bother kids..

You might have just had a more indigo aura than most of them.

Ah, Jenny McCarthy fan (didn't she claim to have an indigo child?). All is explained.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Your post is interesting considering the indigo aura description:

ae64c95e90b3fe01c7bf70d625ee9bbc.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Oh yes, that is so me :wink:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I knew it! He nailed it :sunglasses:
  • Christine_72
    Options

I knew it! He nailed it :sunglasses:

You go girl :tongue:

• The_Original_Beauty
    The_Original_Beauty Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You can't exploit animals, but breastfeeding your own child wouldn't be considered exploitation.

No vegans believe human milk for human babies and cow milk for only cows etc. :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    brichards_ wrote: »
    If the parents are educated and are feeding their children nutritiously, and breastfeeding when needed, there should be no problem. They are helping their child be healthier. The same could be said for parents who feed their children processed unhealthy foods. That can be a problem for the kids health.

@brichards_
    How many kids do you have?
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    brichards_ wrote: »
    If the parents are educated and are feeding their children nutritiously, and breastfeeding when needed, there should be no problem. They are helping their child be healthier. The same could be said for parents who feed their children processed unhealthy foods. That can be a problem for the kids health.

@brichards_
    How many kids do you have?

I haven't got any. But I really do believe there should not be any laws against having vegan children, as long as you feed them enough, and get the macros right. A plant based diet will help them avoid disease and could help prevent them from being overweight.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My husband used to own a bar. One of the wise and weathered regulars used to say "two things in life are guaranteed... Guys on this side of the bar will tell you how to run yours just like people with no kids will give you parenting advice..."
    RIP Bull.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Truer words have never been spoken...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Ooh, getting advice on how to feed your kids from non-parents. Lol. Walk a mile in my shoes.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Ooh, getting advice on how to feed your kids from non-parents. Lol. Walk a mile in my shoes.

I called it at the beginning of this thread. Vegan diets and parenting advice. Throw in some politics and you've got the trifecta of controversial topics...
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Don't most countries in the developed world already have "failure to thrive" laws in place? Why single out vegans?