Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do Vegan diets for children really need to be outlawed?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What about obese kids, is this not a form of child abuse too? I would rather the government go after these parents, as well as the undernourished neglected kiddos.

Apparently it has happened: http://www.inquisitr.com/2202621/childhood-obesity-is-child-abuse-court-says-could-be-used-to-take-your-kids-away-from-you/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What about obese kids, is this not a form of child abuse too? I would rather the government go after these parents, as well as the undernourished neglected kiddos.

Apparently it has happened: http://www.inquisitr.com/2202621/childhood-obesity-is-child-abuse-court-says-could-be-used-to-take-your-kids-away-from-you/

And in my own country too! I think this is a much bigger problem than parents feeding their kids vegan diets.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Hows the meat and dairy industry going to make it's money if kids are vegan? And what about the poor sugar farmers... it's really hard hiding all that sugar in most dairy. It's very hard to add sugar to whole foods and vegetables.
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It's not particularly difficult to add sugar to whole foods. I make a rhubarb sauce and add it by taking out a spoon, dipping it into a bag of sugar, and sprinkling it on the rhubarb in the pot. Easy-peasy. I get that some don't consider steel cut oats a whole food, and I personally don't like sugar on them, but my understanding is that it's super easy to add sugar to them too. Sugar is often used in smoking salmon -- that's also not complicated.

As for dairy, I eat lots of it, and none has sugar added (unless you count the berries I put in my greek yogurt), except, of course for ice cream (and the vegan variety made with coconut milk I had last night had just as much sugar added).

There's really nothing about a vegan diet that makes it harder to consume sugar unless one is also more health conscious (and one can be health conscious and limit sugar without being vegan). My guess is that the average HFLC person is likely to consume less added sugar than the average vegan.

Of course, I'm also not anti added sugar, just excessive added sugar.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's not particularly difficult to add sugar to whole foods. I make a rhubarb sauce and add it by taking out a spoon, dipping it into a bag of sugar, and sprinkling it on the rhubarb in the pot. Easy-peasy. I get that some don't consider steel cut oats a whole food, and I personally don't like sugar on them, but my understanding is that it's super easy to add sugar to them too. Sugar is often used in smoking salmon -- that's also not complicated.

As for dairy, I eat lots of it, and none has sugar added (unless you count the berries I put in my greek yogurt), except, of course for ice cream (and the vegan variety made with coconut milk I had last night had just as much sugar added).

There's really nothing about a vegan diet that makes it harder to consume sugar unless one is also more health conscious (and one can be health conscious and limit sugar without being vegan). My guess is that the average HFLC person is likely to consume less added sugar than the average vegan.

Of course, I'm also not anti added sugar, just excessive added sugar.

I ate 16g of sugar yesterday, and felt like my body was on fire. Curse you Halo Top.
    For reference, that's more sugar than I usually eat in a week.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    bshrom wrote: »
    Feed your kids foods that you can't even pronounce let alone begin to understand what it actually is and nobody bats an eye. Feed your kids veggies, fruits, plant based proteins, and whole grains and everybody's flying off the handle. I love how when you consume a SAD(standard American diet) nobody cares at all but they find out your vegan and suddenly everyone is a frickin nutritionist.

Oh no, people do still *kitten* about SAD being fed to kids. It's just been going on for so long now, that said complaints barely register as background noise anymore.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    bshrom wrote: »
    Feed your kids veggies, fruits, plant based proteins, and whole grains and everybody's flying off the handle.

No, why misrepresent what is being said?

I don't approve of the proposed law either (as reported, anyway -- I am skeptical as to whether it was reported correctly and would like to see the text of the proposed law). However, it is in Italy (so the SAD has nothing to do with anything), and is a reaction to a couple of situations where dumb and irresponsible parents fed their child a nutritionally inadequate diet, not to feeding veggies, etc. Similarly, the few examples of prosecution in NA that I linked (there are a few more) dealt with really inadequate diets also.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think it should be encouraged for kids to be vegan and eat healthy. I mean why is it not illegal to kids kids garbage microwaved food or fast food? But not feeding them animal products is so bad?
  • littlechiaseed
    Options
    I think it should be encouraged for kids to be vegan and eat healthy. I mean why is it not illegal to kids kids garbage microwaved food or fast food? But not feeding them animal products is so bad?

"Garbage microwaved food or fast food" can be Vegan friendly as well, as I'm sure you well know.

Yup point?
  • littlechiaseed
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

I prefer to simplify...

Cool for you dude. I like to be more precise.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

"Garbage microwaved food or fast food" can be Vegan friendly as well, as I'm sure you well know.

Yup point?

I'll play. His point is you can be vegan and have a *kitten* diet. Vegan of course can be very healthy, just not any healthier then any number of balanced diets one could follow...
  • littlechiaseed
    Options

I prefer to simplify...

Ok I'll bite. I meant to say more accurate, I was being nice. Why must one be vegan to be healthy?

P.sure no one said that. However lots of kids have food allergies and intolerances to eggs and dairy yet it's stuffed down their throats as "healthy" when it clearly isn't if you get sick from it and don't know why you have a tummy ach everyday. Speaking from personal experience.

• littlechiaseed
    Options

Yup point?

I'll play. His point is you can be vegan and have a *kitten* diet. Vegan of course can be very healthy, just not any healthier then any number of balanced diets one could follow...

No kitten Sherlock.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

I prefer to simplify...

Ok I'll bite. I meant to say more accurate, I was being nice. Why must one be vegan to be healthy?

P.sure no one said that. However lots of kids have food allergies and intolerances to eggs and dairy yet it's stuffed down their throats as "healthy" when it clearly isn't if you get sick from it and don't know why you have a tummy ach everyday. Speaking from personal experience.

A lot of kids have soy and peanut allergies as well. They should all be diagnosed and handled accordingly.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I prefer to simplify...

I would love to know WHY so many kids have food allergies and intolerance's these days! I didn't know one single kid in all of my childhood and teen years that could not eat this or that food, Everyone was "normal" back then.