Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do Vegan diets for children really need to be outlawed?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here in this province a couple were found guilty of killing their toddler, who died of meningitis. The couple, who ran their own health food business tried to treat their increasingly sick child with mustard plasters and the like. All natural. No visit to a conventional doctor or an emergency room until it was much, much too late.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/lethbridge-meningitis-trial-sentence-parents-toddler-died-1.3650653

Essential micronutrients that a growing child needs include B12, the omega 3 fatty acids, and vitamin D are not easily fulfilled on a vegan diet. No matter how well researched and earnest the parents may be.

What does that article have to do with a vegan diet? Those parents refused to get medical treatment for their child. Not really the same thing.

I also don't understand the comment about B12, Omega 3, and D not easily fulfilled on a vegan diet. I take a supplement for each of those every morning. They're affordable, easy to obtain, and it takes a few seconds. It's incredibly easy to meet those nutritional needs -- my earnestness has little to do with it.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I admit, I haven't read anything in-depth about this particular potential law.

However, I don't think ideal of adding language around malnutrition and even extreme obesity into abuse or neglect statutes is completely out-of-bounds. It would need to be applied EXTREMELY carefully - very specific health markers/criteria would need to be laid out, extensive opinions by doctors would need to be gathered, a number of non-criminal interventions would need to take place to ensure that the parents had both the knowledge and financial ability to provide appropriate nutrition, and it would need to be clearly demonstrated that the parents are willfully disregarding the child's health before a criminal charge could take place. I recognize and worry that the risks of misapplication and emotional trauma to the children/families could outweigh the benefits to applicable children, so ultimately I think I would disagree with the idea of actually enacting such a law. But I actually don't think the concept is so shocking.
  • janejellyroll
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If eating vegans is illegal for adults, why would you let it be legal for children?

Edit: missed the joke
  • Hiro_Protagonist
    Hiro_Protagonist Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    As the American Academy of Pediatrics, a vegan or vegetarian diet can be appropriate for children of all ages. Anybody who is stupid enough to not do the work to ensure their child is getting adequately nourished is not going to do better if you just demand they add eggs or meat to the diet. There are plenty of children eating truly awful non-vegan diets. When they get sick, you just never see a headline reading "Parents under suspicion for feeding children omnivorous diet!"

V4WpniF.gif

FYI: I didn't read the article because well the title "Do Vegan diets for children really need to be outlawed?" is preposterous in its own right. Anyone who is familiar with nutrition should avoid such sensationalism when possible.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I would certainly hope not! My vegan 22-month old is taller than 4 and 5 year olds, eats like a champ, and her doctor thinks she's absolutely thriving and wouldn't change a thing. I think feeding a vegan diet to children gets a bad rap because you hear of parents restricting their childs diet to the point of starvation/malnutrition, which can happen on ANY way of eating...we make sure our child is getting enough of all her nutrients, and she will eat nearly anything we put in front of her...animal products aside.

For the record, I'm vegan and my husband is about as far from vegan as you can be. We both have a dairy allergy and our child does too, so dairy is off the table. However, we have tried giving her meat and eggs, and they are some of the ONLY foods she flat out refuses. We still offer them when my husband is eating them, but she'd rather devour his quinoa and broccoli. Which is fine by us, we just make sure her nutritional needs are met. If she EVER wants to eat animal products, I will have no problem with that, but my point is, she is FAR from missing out on anything she needs on a vegan diet.

you realize the bolded part has nothing to do with diet, right?

The reason they want to outlaw the dietary choice for children is because of recent incidences of death due to malnutrition. She wouldn't be 3.5 feet tall and thriving if she was malnourished, so yes, it does have to do with diet. Would she be as tall and thriving on a different diet? Probably. The point was that she is NOT malnourished and SUFFERING because of a vegan diet. "failure to thrive" is a medical dx that is very commonly associated with poor nutritional health. "You do realize the bolded part has nothing to do with diet?" No, but I do realize that you are clearly not an expert.

a non-vegan child can be properly nourished.

The things you are noticing with your child are based on genetics and not whether or not said child is eating vegan.

You've made it quite clear that you have not read the article in debate. The REASONING for trying to pass this law is because they are claiming that veganism leads to malnourished children. I'm stating that this is not the case, and am in argument with the article, which obviously you have chosen not to read and have instead decided to assume that I'm claiming non-vegan diets cause malnourishment? Where the eff did you read that in my posts?

i am commenting on your comments, and not the article, I thought that was quite clear.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    MissTattoo wrote: »
    I don't think your diet has anything to do with height of your children. It's genetics. My 9 year old has always been the tallest baby/toddler/child. She's 5'2 while the rest of her 4th grade class is under 4'7. I'm 5'11. Her dad is 6'7. My sister is 5'11. My dad was 6'5. My aunt is 6'2. My first cousins (on my dad's side) are 6'2+ (female and male) We're just tall. She was going to be tall regardless if I breastfed or not or if she ate meat or just veggies.

I don't think it should be outlawed, but I do think people need to be educated. You can't feed a newborn just water and liquefied carrots. As long as your child isn't starved, feed them whatever works for you.

I'm fully aware that her height is genetics...but she wouldn't be reaching that height if she was malnourished or deficient nutrient-wise, which is the reasoning behind the law they are trying to pass in the article.

so are you saying that non-vegans are malnourished???

When did I say that?

I'm debating the article...you know...the thing I actually read...on a post in a debate forum...debating said article...before taking offense to someone's post for something not even said.

and i am debating your comments and asking you to clarify them. it is still a public forum.

You implied that a vegan child is somehow more nourished then a non vegan child, which is why I asked for clarification.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    If eating vegans is illegal for adults, why would you let it be legal for children?

Edit: missed the joke

Which joke did you miss?

About eating vegans -- I initially thought you wrote "eating vegan" and responded to that.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    Lizarking wrote: »
    Children shouldn't be force fed an eating disorder... but I also hate the nanny state.

Force fed an eating disorder? This is laughable.

The main reason is because my daughter came home from school (PUBLIC) devastated one day. They had done the height/weight tests and slapped labels on them and sent them home with their fresh new stickers including, "normal" "overweight" and "obese" Oh. And shan't forget "morbidly obese." My daughter-who at the time was 5'2" and weighed 120-ish pounds was sent home with a shiny "OBESE" sticker. Talk about force feeding an eating disorder? Soon after this, she stopped eating dinner, stopped taking her lunch to school... rarely ate breakfast. Those *kitten* had her believing she was obese! At 10 years of age! I had a struggle with her for years over that crap.

So which is it? We can teach our kids to eat healthily and not be huge couch potatoes, or we can feed them all the garbage and give them video games so they are big enough not to be "flagged" as too small... and then labeled as obese when they are clearly NOT obese.

Not sure what test they would have used. BMI, which is the height/weight 5'2 120lbs is smack dab in the middle of healthy range. She medically wouldn't be considered obese until 160lbs.

Children have a different BMI chart. According to the child chart, she is overweight (I'm not defending what the school did -- I am horrified by this story).

Considering just how fat a kid has to be to qualify as anything other than normal (the scale is wide as hell), one should be horrified either way.
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Of course not. What a ridiculous question.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    Think of THE CHILDREN!
    It doesn't matter if a law makes sense or not. It doesn't matter if it is helpful or harmful.
    All that matters is whether or not the intentions were good. It's all about the feelz.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Children shouldn't be force fed an eating disorder... but I also hate the nanny state.

The main reason is because my daughter came home from school (PUBLIC) devastated one day. They had done the height/weight tests and slapped labels on them and sent them home with their fresh new stickers including, "normal" "overweight" and "obese" Oh. And shan't forget "morbidly obese." My daughter-who at the time was 5'2" and weighed 120-ish pounds was sent home with a shiny "OBESE" sticker. Talk about force feeding an eating disorder? Soon after this, she stopped eating dinner, stopped taking her lunch to school... rarely ate breakfast. Those *kitten* had her believing she was obese! At 10 years of age! I had a struggle with her for years over that crap.

Five two and 120 lb is far from obese! It's "thick" maybe.... I wouldn't even call it remotely fat.

I'm 5 ft 2 and if I was 120 I'd be healthy. It's not obese, not even overweight. It's in the normal range, I can't imagine why they did that!

There are different weight standards for adult women than there are for 10 year-old girls. Little girls are not considered to be as "developed" as full grown adult females, so they are considered heavier at that particular weight/height. What is a normal weight in an adult may be a little high for a child, even at the same height. From what I've seen, that height and weight on a 10 year old girl is considered overweight, NOT obese. She's in the 92nd percentile, meaning she weighs more than 92% of the other kids at her height. The sticker thing is horrific, though. I don't think they need to be telling the kids anything. Just make a note of it, notify the parents and move on.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    htimpaired wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »

Five two and 120 lb is far from obese! It's "thick" maybe.... I wouldn't even call it remotely fat.

I'm 5 ft 2 and if I was 120 I'd be healthy. It's not obese, not even overweight. It's in the normal range, I can't imagine why they did that!

There are different weight standards for adult women than there are for 10 year-old girls. Little girls are not considered to be as "developed" as full grown adult females, so they are considered heavier at that particular weight/height. What is a normal weight in an adult may be a little high for a child, even at the same height. From what I've seen, that height and weight on a 10 year old girl is considered overweight, NOT obese. She's in the 92nd percentile, meaning she weighs more than 92% of the other kids at her height. The sticker thing is horrific, though. I don't think they need to be telling the kids anything. Just make a note of it, notify the parents and move on.

The problem though with applying that to kids is pretty much every kid I know went through spurts. I have 5 nephews and everyone of them kinda pudged up a bit prior to jumping up several inches in height. There are a lot of kids that are WAY overweight and this isn't the case, but unless the kid has been obviously overweight for a number of years....