Losing weight and not needing to weigh food

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Alluminati, that is the book that outed the Illuminati. Also it gave away classified secrets, and the author was assassinated. Just wondering what you knew about the name you chose. (for the record I do not believe in the real illuminati, but the author did.)
  • cee134
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Out of sheer morbid curiosity - what exactly about weighing is so hard for you?

I just don't get it. Of all the lifestyle changes I made, this seems like by far the easiest thing to keep going in perpetuity.

Working out 3x per week - that's going to take discipline.
    Planning and logging my meals every day - it's pretty simple, and habit now, but still takes at least a bit of time.
    Sticking to my planned food and not going off and pigging out - takes a combination of discipline and being certain my food plans account for all my tastes and preferences, so cravings don't turn into binges.
    Weighing out my portions - adds zero time and effort. All it means is rather than set my plate on the counter, I set it on the scale on the counter, and I push the "tare" button a few times as needed. Typing this sentence is quite literally more effort than weighing my food today was, as I have to press a whole lot more keys.

Already retracted my statement thanks to one person. Look at the logs.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

I just don't get it. Of all the lifestyle changes I made, this seems like by far the easiest thing to keep going in perpetuity.

Planning and logging my meals every day - it's pretty simple, and habit now, but still takes at least a bit of time.
    Sticking to my planned food and not going off and pigging out - takes a combination of discipline and being certain my food plans account for all my tastes and preferences, so cravings don't turn into binges.
    Weighing out my portions - adds zero time and effort. All it means is rather than set my plate on the counter, I set it on the scale on the counter, and I push the "tare" button a few times as needed. Typing this sentence is quite literally more effort than weighing my food today was, as I have to press a whole lot more keys.

I saw. I'm just really surprised this was an issue to begin with for you, particularly if you're already logging your food, which seems a lot bigger of a change to make.
  • cee134
    Options

I saw. I'm just really surprised this was an issue to begin with for you, particularly if you're already logging your food, which seems a lot bigger of a change to make.

I retracted the, feeling sorry, part. But I still don't believe weighing is a thing that can be kept up with by most people for over 5 years.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

This was my issue with the main OP. What is so unbelievable about someone weighing for 5 years straight? Unless, of course, the OP himherself found weighing to be a hardship. For me and many on here, its not a big deal so I find weighing and logging for 5 years entirely plausible. That's why the whole pity thing was odd.
  • cee134
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

This was my issue with the main OP. What is so unbelievable about someone weighing for 5 years straight? Unless, of course, the OP himherself found weighing to be a hardship. For me and many on here, its not a big deal so I find weighing and logging for 5 years entirely plausible. That's why the whole pity thing was odd.

Prove it.... I've seen people that say it's a hardship. Once again. Don't care if you weight your food. I care about people that can't but feel like the have to on MFP because that's how alot of people tell them that is the only way to succeed.
  • cee134
    edited August 2016
    Options

I retracted the, feeling sorry, part. But I still don't believe weighing is a thing that can be kept up with by most people for over 5 years.

Probably for you.

Probably for most people. There are no studies, so how many people weigh after 5 years is pointless to debate.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    It's probably easy to maintain when you're normal height, can walk, and are a reasonable weight.

Me? I'm 4'11", in a wheelchair, and I am 119 lbs. So, my maintenance calories are 1540 at my goal weight. I cannot play that amount by ear. I have to weigh and log everything that goes past my lips.

And I've been doing it for over five years already. It's routine. It's normal. It's not something I'll ever give up.
  • rankinsect
    Options

I don't see why not. Again, I think it's trivially simple to do. Of all the habits I want to keep doing for the rest of my life, weighing food is by far my least concern because it really doesn't add any extra time or effort at all. Complaining about weighing food being hard, to me anyway, is as bizarre of a concept as someone complaining that tying their shoes every day is something most people can't keep up with. I mean, sure, each takes some minute quantity of time to do, but each is so effortless it just strikes me as odd to have problems with it.

I suppose if you normally eat straight from a large container (open bag of chips, etc.) then it means you need to use a plate, but for me, eating right out of an open container is a big problem anyway unless I intend to eat the entire container.
  • cee134
    Options

I don't see why not. Again, I think it's trivially simple to do. Of all the habits I want to keep doing for the rest of my life, weighing food is by far my least concern because it really doesn't add any extra time or effort at all. Complaining about weighing food being hard, to me anyway, is as bizarre of a concept as someone complaining that tying their shoes every day is something most people can't keep up with. I mean, sure, each takes some minute quantity of time to do, but each is so effortless it just strikes me as odd to have problems with it.

I suppose if you normally eat straight from a large container (open bag of chips, etc.) then it means you need to use a plate, but for me, eating right out of an open container is a big problem anyway unless I intend to eat the entire container.

I don't see why. Please show me proof.
  • Alluminati
    Options

Prove it.... I've seen people that say it's a hardship. Once again. Don't care if you weight your food. I care about people that can't but feel like the have to on MFP because that's how alot of people tell them that is the only way to succeed.

I don't have to prove anything to you, lol. Its a hardship for you to log, no need to project it onto everyone. That's fine that you don't/can't log, no one is forcing you to. Just because you believe it doesn't happen doesn't make it so.
  • cee134
    Options
    Again, if you are the exception to this rule, good for you, I'm glad you found something that worked for you. But I am worried about the people that can't succeed at this, this being weighing food for long periods of time.
  • cee134
    Options

You're wrong, plain and simple.

How? :) See how it works?
  • Alluminati
    Options

I don't have to prove anything to you, lol. Its a hardship for you to log, no need to project it onto everyone. That's fine that you don't/can't log, no one is forcing you to. Just because you believe it doesn't happen doesn't make it so.

If you wan't to berate me for my opinions you do.
    [edit] - isn't that what MFP is all about. :)

Disagreeing does not equal berating. You're saying people don't log for 5 years, I asked why you would think that, and pointed to myself as an example.
  • rankinsect
    edited August 2016
    Options

Disagreeing does not equal berating. You're saying people don't log for 5 years, I asked why you would think that, and pointed to myself as an example.

No, this is even weirder. He's not saying that he won't LOG food for 5 years, he's saying he won't WEIGH food for 5 years.

Seems bizarre to me that someone would be fine with logging food and not fine with measuring it. I get that some people find logging to be a burden - although I think they can learn strategies to make it easier. I just had never seen anyone until now that found weighing to be a burden.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    Again, if you are the exception to this rule, good for you, I'm glad you found something that worked for you. But I am worried about the people that can't succeed at this, this being weighing food for long periods of time.

Welp, some of us do log for long periods. I'm simply giving my opinion in a thread you started by insulting people who log. What do you excpect, people wouldn't give feedback?

Why is it so hard to believe one can log for 5 years. I find it easy and helpful and not a bother at all.
  • Alluminati
    Options

No, this is even weirder. He's not saying that he won't LOG food for 5 years, he's saying he won't WEIGH food for 5 years.

Seems bizarre to me that someone would be fine with logging food and not fine with measuring it. I get that some people find logging to be a burden. I just had never seen anyone until now that found weighing to be a burden.

What?

I can't with MFP anymore. Lol!
  • cee134
    edited August 2016
    Options

Correct, disagreeing does not equal berating. But have you read the posts that tell me I'm wrong? Not just from you. I did not say people don't log for 5 year. I said I haven't met anyone yet that has weighed their food for 5 years. MOST IMPORTANTLY I also said I don't think weighing food is the only option for people trying to lose weight. I've seen people say that it is the most important, and see other newbies struggle to measure everything. (no references can be provided at this time, sorry, I guess I'm a bad person for not being able to point to all the people that said this, but there are people on MFP and why I started this post)
  • Alluminati
    Options

You're wrong, plain and simple.

How? :) See how it works?

No. I don't. I didn't make this thread.
This discussion has been closed.