Alluminati wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Out of sheer morbid curiosity - what exactly about weighing is so hard for you?

I just don't get it. Of all the lifestyle changes I made, this seems like by far the easiest thing to keep going in perpetuity.

Working out 3x per week - that's going to take discipline.
    Planning and logging my meals every day - it's pretty simple, and habit now, but still takes at least a bit of time.
    Sticking to my planned food and not going off and pigging out - takes a combination of discipline and being certain my food plans account for all my tastes and preferences, so cravings don't turn into binges.
    Weighing out my portions - adds zero time and effort. All it means is rather than set my plate on the counter, I set it on the scale on the counter, and I push the "tare" button a few times as needed. Typing this sentence is quite literally more effort than weighing my food today was, as I have to press a whole lot more keys.

Already retracted my statement thanks to one person. Look at the logs.

I saw. I'm just really surprised this was an issue to begin with for you, particularly if you're already logging your food, which seems a lot bigger of a change to make.

This was my issue with the main OP. What is so unbelievable about someone weighing for 5 years straight? Unless, of course, the OP himherself found weighing to be a hardship. For me and many on here, its not a big deal so I find weighing and logging for 5 years entirely plausible. That's why the whole pity thing was odd.

Prove it.... I've seen people that say it's a hardship. Once again. Don't care if you weight your food. I care about people that can't but feel like the have to on MFP because that's how alot of people tell them that is the only way to succeed.

I don't have to prove anything to you, lol. Its a hardship for you to log, no need to project it onto everyone. That's fine that you don't/can't log, no one is forcing you to. Just because you believe it doesn't happen doesn't make it so.

If you wan't to berate me for my opinions you do.
    [edit] - isn't that what MFP is all about. :)

Disagreeing does not equal berating. You're saying people don't log for 5 years, I asked why you would think that, and pointed to myself as an example.

No, this is even weirder. He's not saying that he won't LOG food for 5 years, he's saying he won't WEIGH food for 5 years.

Seems bizarre to me that someone would be fine with logging food and not fine with measuring it. I get that some people find logging to be a burden - although I think they can learn strategies to make it easier. I just had never seen anyone until now that found weighing to be a burden.

To add, this is the same guy that has to start over again which sucks. He has not learned what actual portion sizes look like. Weighing food gets you there.

You don't know what happened with me. You don't know what I've gone through that added to my weight gain.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Out of sheer morbid curiosity - what exactly about weighing is so hard for you?

I just don't get it. Of all the lifestyle changes I made, this seems like by far the easiest thing to keep going in perpetuity.

Working out 3x per week - that's going to take discipline.
    Planning and logging my meals every day - it's pretty simple, and habit now, but still takes at least a bit of time.
    Sticking to my planned food and not going off and pigging out - takes a combination of discipline and being certain my food plans account for all my tastes and preferences, so cravings don't turn into binges.
    Weighing out my portions - adds zero time and effort. All it means is rather than set my plate on the counter, I set it on the scale on the counter, and I push the "tare" button a few times as needed. Typing this sentence is quite literally more effort than weighing my food today was, as I have to press a whole lot more keys.

Already retracted my statement thanks to one person. Look at the logs.

I saw. I'm just really surprised this was an issue to begin with for you, particularly if you're already logging your food, which seems a lot bigger of a change to make.

This was my issue with the main OP. What is so unbelievable about someone weighing for 5 years straight? Unless, of course, the OP himherself found weighing to be a hardship. For me and many on here, its not a big deal so I find weighing and logging for 5 years entirely plausible. That's why the whole pity thing was odd.

Prove it.... I've seen people that say it's a hardship. Once again. Don't care if you weight your food. I care about people that can't but feel like the have to on MFP because that's how alot of people tell them that is the only way to succeed.

I don't have to prove anything to you, lol. Its a hardship for you to log, no need to project it onto everyone. That's fine that you don't/can't log, no one is forcing you to. Just because you believe it doesn't happen doesn't make it so.

If you wan't to berate me for my opinions you do.
    [edit] - isn't that what MFP is all about. :)

Disagreeing does not equal berating. You're saying people don't log for 5 years, I asked why you would think that, and pointed to myself as an example.

No, this is even weirder. He's not saying that he won't LOG food for 5 years, he's saying he won't WEIGH food for 5 years.

Seems bizarre to me that someone would be fine with logging food and not fine with measuring it. I get that some people find logging to be a burden - although I think they can learn strategies to make it easier. I just had never seen anyone until now that found weighing to be a burden.

To add, this is the same guy that has to start over again which sucks. He has not learned what actual portion sizes look like. Weighing food gets you there.

You don't know what happened with me. You don't know what I've gone through that added to my weight gain.

Life is like that!! It is bad sometimes! Sorry
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    there is a big difference between losing weight and losing body fat,
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Life is like that!! It is bad sometimes! Sorry

Holy *kitten*... that's some cold *kitten*.
  • rollerjog
    Options
    if your a male or a female and your goal is to get ripped there no way around it you have to weight your food to get supper lean 6 pack and all
  • cee134
    Options
    rollerjog wrote: »
    if your a male or a female and your goal is to get ripped there no way around it you have to weight your food to get supper lean 6 pack and all

I'll give you that. For using facts.
  • cee134
    Options
    Why are some of you so offended?
  • cee134
    Options
    Tipping my hat, I'm done for now....

gjllpmft2k01.jpg

Probably a good idea.

I'll always have room for you Alluminati. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food, don't weigh your food. What you, them or i do doesn't matter. Most of us are here to lose weight and even more importantly, maintain that loss. I don't care how we as individuals get there, as long as we arrive and stay there :smiley:
  • cee134
    Options
    Weigh your food, don't weigh your food. What you, them or i do doesn't matter. Most of us are here to lose weight and even more importantly, maintain that loss. I don't care how we as individuals get there, as long as we arrive and stay there :smiley:

You're cool and I respect your opinion. But honestly I've been attacked most of the night. Which is why I'm arguing with the non-believers. :)
  • cee134
    Options
    Here's a cute kitten photo, enjoy and goodnight.
    19epb3qzhecv.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Options

You're cool and I respect your opinion. But honestly I've been attacked most of the night. Which is why I'm arguing with the non-believers. :)

I really hate debating back and forth, it's draining and tiresome. One of the best and most freeing things I've learnt to do in interwebz foruming is to breath and walk away.
    I've been banned from a couple of forums (years ago), all because i couldn't keep my mouth shut and had to have the last word and let my temper get the better of me! Since then, i refuse to let internet strangers get under my skin. I'm not saying this is what you are doing, just relaying my experience.

I'm not trying to sound cold and heartless, i love MFP and most of the members here, even the argumentative annoying ones :tongue: :heart: But i refuse to let the 'differing' opinions of people i don't even know upset and aggravate me.
    We will NEVER all agree and be in happy unison, and that's fine, just move on and forget about it.

Why the F i'm writing this.. i don't know lol I'm just feeling especially emotional today.

So, sorry and carry on chaps :lol:
  • rollerjog
    Options
    on the other hand if you just want lose some weight and you been playing the game for a while you can get pretty good at eye balling food so you dont have to use a scale, but if you want to get into peak condition i like to weight my food i understand that getting in peak condition is not for everybody, its all in what you want to do, good luck everybody
  • Christine_72
    Options
    rollerjog wrote: »
    on the other hand if you just want lose some weight and you been playing the game for a while you can get pretty good at eye balling food so you dont have to use a scale, but if you want to get into peak condition i like to weight my food i understand that getting in peak condition is not for everybody, its all in what you want to do, good luck everybody

I play 'guess the weight' game all the time. Lets just say, I'll never win first prize in estimating what my food weighs, I'm usually quite a fair way off :flushed:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What's weird is the hate for weighing and not logging.

I at least understand people who find logging annoying. I don't, as I have a very easy system and it is a small effort. I don't get why someone would be fine with logging but not weighing. That's quite literally one of the easiest things I do. It takes absolutely zero extra time or thought except to occasionally push the 'tare' button, and lets you dial in an exact portion.

I'd already been using a kitchen scale for over a decade for all solid measurement when following recipes, so using it to plate food wasn't really any different.

Heh, I made the same point. I don't log at maintenance in part because I often find it tedious. (I have ways of getting around this if I need to.) Weighing I do off and on (sometimes for reasons unrelated to weight loss) as part of the cooking process, and it is no extra time. Estimating amounts was irritating for me, so if not for the scale I'd probably log less than I do.

I used a scale for baking before, and once I realized how much better it was than measuring cups for cooking too I entirely stopped using them for anything. (I don't cook from recipes, but still use the scale for various purposes even if not logging -- not for everything I eat in those cases.)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What's weird is the hate for weighing and not logging.

I at least understand people who find logging annoying. I don't, as I have a very easy system and it is a small effort. I don't get why someone would be fine with logging but not weighing. That's quite literally one of the easiest things I do. It takes absolutely zero extra time or thought except to occasionally push the 'tare' button, and lets you dial in an exact portion.

I'd already been using a kitchen scale for over a decade for all solid measurement when following recipes, so using it to plate food wasn't really any different.

Heh, I made the same point. I don't log at maintenance in part because I often find it tedious. (I have ways of getting around this if I need to.) Weighing I do off and on (sometimes for reasons unrelated to weight loss) as part of the cooking process, and it is no extra time. Estimating amounts was irritating for me, so if not for the scale I'd probably log less than I do.

I used a scale for baking before, and once I realized how much better it was than measuring cups for cooking too I entirely stopped using them for anything. (I don't cook from recipes, but still use the scale for various purposes even if not logging -- not for everything I eat in those cases.)

I don't use my food scale much anymore either, I do use it for weighing my coffee beans for my perfect cup. Instead of scooping out beans(8 scoops) I just tare my grinder and pour in 45 grams of beans. Voila!!

My food scale helped my get good at portion sizing or eyeballing. And if my weight starts creeping back up I will get back to weighing my food. Apparently my eyeballs grew. LOL No one has to do this but it easier when at first trying to lose than when down to the last bits of weight loss.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Again, if you are the exception to this rule, good for you, I'm glad you found something that worked for you. But I am worried about the people that can't succeed at this, this being weighing food for long periods of time.

It's a rule you made up from your own n=1...
This discussion has been closed.