Did you lose your Lover/Spouse/S.O AFTER you loss weight???

Options

Replies

• tobisch86
    tobisch86 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I was married he came home from deployment and was angry I'd gained weight again from pregnancy. So I lost 70 lbs and then he was angry that I'd lost weight. Then I found out he had cheated on me.
  • eich_joe
    eich_joe Posts: 32 Member
    Options

eich_joe wrote: »
    My wife and I both lost weight this year. She lost about 30lbs and I've lost about 50.. For her, yes the relationship went south.. Possibly her new found attention was to much to handle... Be wise with your new look

Sorry to hear that, sounds like you've had a difficult adjustment as a couple but congratulations on your weight loss, both of you.

Thanks
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    tobisch86 wrote: »
    When I was married he came home from deployment and was angry I'd gained weight again from pregnancy. So I lost 70 lbs and then he was angry that I'd lost weight. Then I found out he had cheated on me.
    Wth? Talking about confusion. So nothing could truly make him happy? Humph!
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    PowerMan40 wrote: »
    Is it really cocky or is it just that your personal view of yourself has improved along with your pride in accomplishments, which gave you a boost in your self confidence. You start holding you head higher, and people notice your body language has changed. You start being friendly and smiling. Sooner or later you start attracting the same kind of people who are friendly and smile.

The other person who sees these changes become jealous of your success, and the positive changes, and becomes resentful.

I agree 99% of your theory...but I do believe it is 1% of people that are feeling themselves on a whole 'nother level. I believe there are some people that lose a ton of weight and realize they do not have to be with their 'big' partner anymore because their male/female pool has increased. I do believe that some of them have more opportunities open up to them than before and they are no longer 'humble' but are complete arrogant....I do think those people exist, but I believe it is a very small percentage. The same thing happens sometimes with a great career shift.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Is it really cocky or is it just that your personal view of yourself has improved along with your pride in accomplishments, which gave you a boost in your self confidence. You start holding you head higher, and people notice your body language has changed. You start being friendly and smiling. Sooner or later you start attracting the same kind of people who are friendly and smile.

The other person who sees these changes become jealous of your success, and the positive changes, and becomes resentful.

I agree 99% of your theory...but I do believe it is 1% of people that are feeling themselves on a whole 'nother level. I believe there are some people that lose a ton of weight and realize they do not have to be with their 'big' partner anymore because their male/female pool has increased. I do believe that some of them have more opportunities open up to them than before and they are no longer 'humble' but are complete arrogant....I do think those people exist, but I believe it is a very small percentage. The same thing happens sometimes with a great career shift.

Eh I'd say that it happens more than you think.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

This goes back to our discussion on assuming the relationship is healthy and both in it are good people. A good person, after being successful, would try and help their partner.

This also shakes the foundation of unconditional love.

If only negative people knew the level of damage they inflict.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

This goes back to our discussion on assuming the relationship is healthy and both in it are good people. A good person, after being successful, would try and help their partner.

This also shakes the foundation of unconditional love.

If only negative people knew the level of damage they inflict.
    I totally agree. Hurt people hurt people.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I did.

I was over 200lbs and married to an emotional abusive narcissistic control freak. As I worked on loosing weight he started becoming angry with me about anything related to me being healthy. Weighing and logging food was me being "addicted" to my phone and it was an unhealthy way to live. Going to the gym was an inconvenience to him, mind you I went while he slept at 6am. Eating smaller portions since he cooked was "ruining his life". Asking him to cut back on butter, oil, and such was a fight. Asking him to cook in multiple pans so I could portion myself my food was the end of the world. I couldn't keep going. As a recovering alcoholic he drove me back to drinking. I couldn't deal with him anymore and snapped.

My health was more important to me then my marriage. My migraines with stroke symptoms were gone, my cardio was so much healthier. I could walk up and down steps without wheezing. I wasn't giving that up for someone who didn't even care enough about my health to help me with it.

Wow.....I am happy that you chose YOU in this scenario. It's unfortunate that you had to make that choice, but like the OP said negative people do not know the level of damage they inflict. And some people are so reluctant to change, even if it is good.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    I really hoped losing weight would make me more attractive to my husband but it hasn't helped. He's not the only reason I'm losing but I'm heartbroken it hasn't worked. I just want to be desired by him.

I don't know how I overlooked this. This tugged at my heartstrings. The first thing that came to my mind was for you to pray for your husband. Continue your weightloss journey (because staying focused on a goal is sexy in itself). But there could be other demanding issues that he is dealing with (finances, job, kids, etc.) that could affect him and come off as him not being attracted to you! Build your confidence, self worth and self esteem. Hugs!

Thank you for your kind words. Sadly he's just not attracted to me, he told me recently that he never desired me (even when we met before three children and weight gain) I'm devastated but I'm determined to reach my goal, 24lbs to go to healthy weight on bmi, I want to be healthy and a good role model for my children and to feel better about myself even if I can't be sexy for my husband.

There is a great TED talk by Michelle Weiner-Davis on this "The Sex-Starved Marriage". She also authored a book by the same title. She focuses on methods on new strategies to get your spouse to understand the pain this puts you through.

I sincerely doubt that he's not attracted to you. He married you and had children with you not out of apathy, but out of love.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    To the struggling couples, here is a thread a posted sometime ago. Check it out. A lot of the couples are succeeding in weight loss together....Hopefully this could lend you some inspiration and hope!!!!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1206135/couples-post-your-success-pictures-and-or-story/p1
  • Pterod
    Pterod Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks CSARdiver but unfortunately it's too late for us, as of yesterday I'm officially single after 10 years, though it's nothing to do with sex or weight loss. Completely and utterly heartbroken.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Thanks CSARdiver but unfortunately it's too late for us, as of yesterday I'm officially single after 10 years, though it's nothing to do with sex or weight loss. Completely and utterly heartbroken.

Oh my! How are you holding up??? I hope you are in a good head space. <<<<hugs>>>> My intentions were to check in on this group this morning, but i got caught up doing other things!!!!
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    @bearbugbear and continue to focus on your fitness and personal goals.... Do not let this set you back.
  • Pterod
    Pterod Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm not bearing up well, holding it together for the sake of my children but as soon as I dropped them all off at school/preschool I sobbed in the car park! I'm not sure I'll be able to continue running as much for a while but I'll stay on track with my diet, although today has been pretty appalling. Our family is reeling but I hope to grasp stability soon.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If dieting causes problems then there was an issue before the weight loss. Just my opinion and experience from life itself.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Aesop101 wrote: »
    If dieting causes problems then there was an issue before the weight loss. Just my opinion and experience from life itself.
    I agree...for the most part.

• CSARdiver
    Options

I am truly sorry to hear this. I know you are trying to be strong for your children, but allow them to be strong for you as well, especially now. Now is the time to rally your friends and family.

Best regards to you.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

I am truly sorry to hear this. I know you are trying to be strong for your children, but allow them to be strong for you as well, especially now. Now is the time to rally your friends and family.

Best regards to you.

Good advice. Very good advice.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I'm not bearing up well, holding it together for the sake of my children but as soon as I dropped them all off at school/preschool I sobbed in the car park! I'm not sure I'll be able to continue running as much for a while but I'll stay on track with my diet, although today has been pretty appalling. Our family is reeling but I hope to grasp stability soon.

@bearbugbear Checking in on your Hun. I hope you are surrounding yourself around people that love you unconditionally and that can support you! And don't let the things that went on in your marriage cause you to have self doubt or esteem problems!!!!