WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY

Replies

• pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    :flowerforyou: Happy Saturday to all and welcome to any new people here!:flowerforyou:

It looks like it's going to be a good day--sunny and warm!

We are going to a Rainiers game tonight so I hope it stays nice AND I plan on NOT eating any ballpark food! Tomorrow we will have a barbeque but we haven't planned it all yet--we are waiting for my brother to get here before we finalize the food. I do know we are having green salad and fruit salad--I bought the greens and the fruit already and just need to chop and mix!

We do not generally go to fireworks displays on the 4th as they are so crowded but we can usually see plenty of them around the neighborhood and there may be some after the ballgame tonight.

Tcac--your description of bike riding with your family reminded me of when my kids were young. I never drove a car and still don't. We all had bikes (and helmets, of course!) and either walked or biked anywhere in town. (For longer trips we took the bus which they also really liked!) We were always to be seen going to the library and different parks.
    I still bike to work though I admit I now have an electric bike for a bit of help when my leg is bothering me. I do mostly just pedal it, though, and since it is a Tricruiser (adult trike--need the bigger basket for groceries, etc.) that takes a lot of legwork as it is a pretty heavy bike--about 125 pounds, I think. I love my trike!

Well, it sounds like little Isaac isn't settling down so I think I will see if I can play with him so they can get some sleep!
  • smelliott
    smelliott Posts: 120
    Hi everyone,
    It’s not a bad day here, the sun is shining. I got on the scales this morning and they were not looking good! I was up a pound for the first time in months. I knew I would be and I’m just glad it was only a pound. For the past week I have eaten a load of rubbish – crisps, pizza, biscuits etc – and also drank way over my usual allowance of wine. Never mind I am determined to get back on track so I am not going to change my ticker this week. I will do it next week if that pound is still there.

Justahorsen – I find that I nibble less if I keep busy in the evenings.

Suezzque – I like the idea of posting a motivational picture on the fridge. I will have to try it.

BarbieCat1 – your trips sound great.

Robin – your camping trip sounds like it will be great fun.

Kackie – enjoy your trip.

Laura – you must be excited, having your son home and the possibility of a new grandchild in the same weekend.

Jackie – hope P & O give you a discount on your cruise. It is really annoying when that happens. We have been thinking about doing a cruise next year. We’re thinking of doing Alaska from Vancouver and then we could combine it with a trip to Calgary to see my sister and her husband. Maybe we’ll wait and see if we can get a good deal

Linda – hope you enjoyed your day with your family. It is good to spend time together.

Kathy – it sounds like you are having fun with Isaac. It reminds me of a t-shirt I saw in Canada last year “If I’d known Grandchildren were this much fun I’d have had them years ago”. They are lucky to have you to give them a break. It can be so tiring with a newborn.

We are watching the football (well DH is) and Germany are leading 1-0 at the moment and it's half time but it could still go either way. DH is educating me in the finer points of football :yawn: . I think I might go for a walk.

Have a good day
    :heart:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    :smile: :flowerforyou: Yeah it's Saturday of a three day weekend!:flowerforyou:

Jackie, sorry about your tooth:cry: not being able to eat hot or cold food (even ice cream) with out pain is no fun. Last weekend we too emptied and refilled the hot tub, took all of the day Saturday but sure do enjoy getting into it when it's freshly clean.:wink:

Amanda- reading your drive through Richmond Park and all you described gave me very fond memories of our trip to the UK last year and I could picture all you were describing:smile: Then you saying you would like to come over here for the July 4th celebration, because you don't have one...well to me it's our reminder that our roots are from the UK and you are welcome anytime...there isn't a city over here that doesn't have fireworks and BBQ's during this time:drinker:

Kathy(pmjsmom) I love your walking counter guy...really cute

Denise:cry: sorry that the scale wasn't kind to you, but a new week is upon us with nothing but positive thoughts coming your way.

Today was weigh in day and my monthly measuring and I'm happy to say I've lost 2.2 since last week and I've lost another 4.25" off my body. Since I began in January I have lost a total of 18.25" off my total body ...:bigsmile: it's no wonder why I have been able to wear clothes in my closet from 4-5 years ago.

Setting my July goals, well what I had started out at the beginning of this journey in january was to lose the #30 that I had gained in 2009 I wanted it to be gone by September when I turn 56 but it appears that I'm going to have to up my goals to the following:

Mini goals for July are: #1 to lose .4 of a pound and finally get my BMI in the healthy range. I'm hoping that will happen in the next week so I will need more goals for July.
    #2 to lose a total of #2 which will be I will have lost the #30 I gained last year...anything over the #2 will be a bonus:bigsmile:
    #3 to exercise 5 days a week 35 min each day, this over and above the regular walking and housework that's done weekly.

As you can see I set myself up for success I don't put my goals so far out of range that I can't make it.

We will be having a BBQ here tonight and I will be sure and have all kinds of healthy food and keep it all under control! We are expecting scattered afternoon thundershowers and I hope that means that they shower somewhere else. Of course if #2 DIL heads to the hospital all of us do too and then it will really be a fun day....for the rest of us anywhay:wink:

Have a good Saturday:drinker: drink plenty of water:drinker:

Laura:smile:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,029 Member
    So DH just had to try the "double down" from KFC. Oh my what a fat and sodium fest:sick: . He enjoyed it.:sad: I had a small popcorn chicken and a handfull of fries. so not worth the 474 calories or 950mg of sodium:grumble: but what's a girl gonna do?.:blushing: We never have fast food so this was a freak occurance. Lots of water today:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: .

We were out at the Indian reservation at boom city to pick up fireworks for the 4th. DH is such a kid in the candy store and I just cringe, I hate the dangerous aspect of this crap but he is a boy:indifferent: and I have to deal with that. :frown: I just hope nothing blows up, off or gets burned down. :smokin:

Have a great Saturday all.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    :drinker: Happy July 4th to my neighbors to the south :drinker: :drinker: Enjoy.

:cry: My vacation is coming to an end :cry: But it was a great 2 weeks off. Today is sunshine and the wash is on the line. Funny how hanging out the wash is my favorite household chore. DH and I polished off the last of the birthday cake today. I have not logged my food the last couple of days. Will get back on track once I am back to work.

:bigsmile: Tomorrow it's playing golf with the girls!

:bigsmile: DH took a picture of me this morning and I can tell I am ~20lbs thinner than last year around this time. :bigsmile: Yay! Glad to be waring the red dress I held on to.

Have a great Saturday (((hugs)))

:heart: :heart: :heart: Rebel:heart::heart: :heart:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    SuzyQ - hope everything goes your way, will keep my eyes, legs, fingers, and whatever else I can crossed for you.

I completely forgot that the one branch of the Y is closed 7/1 to 7/5 for cleaning and repairs. I was anticipating working on the StairMaster. Interestingly, they're the only one that has that. Oh, the other branches have the other kind of Stairmaster -- the kind you propel yourself. But this one is like a moving set of stairs. I like it much better, I think you get a much better workout. So....I had to change to going to the Y near me and doing 30 min of HIIT on the elliptical and then walking on the treadmill for 30 min @4mph 1% incline. Tomorrow (Sat) - yoga, but first the farmer's market where I want to get some corn on the cob to have when Jessica and her bf come, we'll have a mini-cookout.

Denise (smelliott) - before I forget, have a great trip to Canada!

Welcome justahorsin! You've found the best thread around! You're asking the wrong person about keeping from munching in the pm, that's one of my weaknesses. I have found that if I drink a lot (usually around 24oz) and then do something other than being in the kitchen (like watching TV or reading a book), that gets my mind off wanting to graze. Also, doing some sort of craft, be it crochet, x-stitch or whatever, keeps me from eating because I'm afraid that whatever I have in my hand might get the yarn/cloth dirty and I know who'll have to wash it.

BC1 "real men don't read instructions" and they also "don't ask for directions"....lol Thanks for the info about the Road Scholars. Don't be surprised if I ask you again about it. I'm hoping that we'll be able to go see Bryan when he's in Reunion. That would be awesome!

Esther - I am so with you on the carbs. If you'd let me, I'd sit down with a loaf of bread and slather on the butter. I did find that the apple cider vinegar really worked. Only then I backslided. In a way, I feel like an alcoholic who got clean then went off the wagon, now has to get back on.

Jackie - I had to smile when you mentioned how you thought it was thundering only to find that dh had fallen asleep. What a hoot!

Jessica is coming here with her bf late tonight, we've invited some friends over for dinner tomorrow. ds has to work. Thank goodness I love to cook, trying to make something that everyone can have! I'm making this terriyaki chicken for me (and anyone else), Ken likes his beef so I got some beef tenderloin -- had to cut it up. I made a macaroni salad since Lynette likes that. I'm getting some fresh veggies for me. Got some corn on the cob for everyone. I'll make rice but plain so Vince will eat it (wild grain), made a banana chocolate cake and didn't put any icing on it since Jess' bf doesn't like icing (Ken is allergic to chocolate), made a key lime pie since Vince likes that, made an apple crisp for me. Like I said, thank goodness I like to cook! Oops, gotta make iced tea.

General Tso's tofu -- sounds heavenly. Wish someplace around here would have that.

Whenever I go to a ballpark, or really any park for that matter, I always take my own food. Even if the signs say "no outside food allowed", I just take my big pocketbook.

After this weekend, I really have to get serious about losing weight. I go for my annual physical at the end of July, and I would prefer not to be the same weight that I was last year

Doesn't it just feel great to be 20 lbs thinniner, Rebel. So glad you had such a great birthday and vacation!

Michele
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Just another quick note. We had a blast today rode 9 miles came home and ate then went to lake to swim for 2 hours now home and exhausted. Chloe did great on morning ride, then when we went swimming she wanted to ride again and when we started don this hill she panicked and lost control and wrecked. All I can say is angels were all around her. she went off side of path and landed in grassy area. Her elbow is scratched, kneee scratched and hit belly with handlebars but ok. I thought we would be at hospital. She was really upset and scared but ok now. This was the first time baby was at beach with sand and she had so much fun.
    Now to bed and up and fix dinner for all. On Sundays after church we all come here for lunch (12) so I need to get things organzied. Tomorrow we go to city to watch fireworks . Hope to get a bike ride in tomorrow while kids swim here.
    I am going to try a different way of eating for 2 weeks. I am upping my calories to 1400. Last month I only lost 2 pounds for the month. I never ate of 1200 cals any day. Exercise almost every day even while recovering from accident and only lost 2 pounds. I just cannot figure it out.
    linda
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Hello Everyone,

First time on the pc all day. Was planning to walk this morning, but my neighbor called and asked me to breakfast. I went, and then I HAD to walk!!:laugh: :laugh: He found a new place, since our old favorite recently closed, and the new place has better breakfasts and costs LESS:noway: --a good thing!!:bigsmile: When I talked to the owner this morning, she said they don't salt ANYTHING unless the customer asks them to. They do their own home made soup, and don't salt that either. I think I have found a new favorite place!! I had bacon and eggs, and since I knew the hash browns weren't full of salt, I had those too,:heart: and two pieces of whole wheat toast.

So, as I said, I HAD to walk. And I did. First I did about a mile and a half with the doggies, and then I did about 6.5 miles by myself on the walking trail near my home. It was a perfect day, sunny, but not too warm, and enough white puffy clouds so that one didn't get overheated, and NO chance of rain. This is a big improvement, considering that two days ago we had 1.27 inches of rain in 24 hours, the wettest July day in a LONG time. I wouldn't say it has rained alot lately, BUT, I saw THREE slugs today, and they usually are not around in July!!

Tomorrow we are having salmon fillet, fresh asparagus, scalloped potatoes, salad, and I am making a dessert with a bunch of fresh local strawberries that I bought today. I plan to combine Greek yogurt, with some cool whip, and a little fat free cream cheese, and layer it with strawberries and blueberries. It sounded so good, I couldn't wait, so tonight I had Greek yogurt mixed with sugar free cool whip, along with a cup of raspberries, and it was yummy. After burning over 800 calories, I have still have about 900 available to eat, and I am not hungry. I will probably have something else before I go to bed, but I forgot how much walking kills my appetite. I'm glad something does!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pepper and Bradley are trying to occupy the same space next to me in the chair, and it appears Pepper is about to give up and relocate the the ottoman--yup, there he goes!:heart::bigsmile: Now I have a little more room to wiggle into my chair.

It was very nice out today, as I said, not too hot. I am feeling quite sleepy, so I think I might turn in early so I can get a head start tomorrow. For some reason, I forgot that today is Saturday, and I planned to go to church tonight, but I figured out at 5:15p that it was Saturday, and since I was still on the walking trail, and the last service starts at 5:30p, I am reverting to "plan B"--get up and go to an early service so I can come back and work on that dessert.

Rebel-Great summer pic. Glad you have enjoyed your vacation.

Linda-Sorry Chloe took a tumble. I hope she will still want to bike with you in the future.

Barbiecat-Happy Day to you, Jake and "the critters.":flowerforyou:

Denise-If you come to Vancouver BC, you won't be all that far from Barbiecat, and from me and Kathy (pjms)--so maybe we need to plan an MFP "reunion"--(Is it still a reunion if the people have never met before?:noway: :wink: )

Amanda-I hope some day you will be able to experience a 4th of July celebration.

The most memorable one for me was 1976. A female friend, (who was dealing with a recent breakup and cancellation of a marriage), and I went to my parents' sailboat, which was moored near where the fireworks display was being set off. We didn't take it out on the water--too many nutcases running around in the dark in powerboats. :ohwell: We made a large quantity of tequila sunrises, and my friend drank most of them. :noway:

When it came time to leave, we were stuck in a monster traffic jam, and when we finally got back to the Vancouver side of the river, we decided to stop for pizza. The place we stopped at apparently had no clue that they were going to be inundated with business after midnight on July 4th, so they only had three people working.

It was obvious to me that we would be there all night and starve to death if something wasn't done, so I suggested to the person working the register, who was also the lone waitress, that if I took orders for her, she could go help make pizzas. She quickly agreed, and I started taking orders. My friend was still pretty loaded from all those sunrises,:drinker: :drinker: so she was no help!!:noway: :noway: I managed to get everybody seated, and would have helped make pizzas too, but no food handler credentials, so they couldn't let me help. We got anything we wanted off the menu FREE!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and ours was one of the first pizzas served, so it worked out well. As I recall it was a vegetarian, and very good!!

I finally got home about 3 in the morning, after pouring my friend into her apartment. Oh by the way, the fireworks were OUTSTANDING!!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :explode: :explode: :explode: <closest thing to a firecracker we have in smiley department:bigsmile: )

Not sure if I will be on here tomorrow or not. If my day goes as planned, I will be home by 9p, and watching the televised fireworks display--they still shoot them off of a barge on the river. It used to be billed as "the largest fireworks display west of the Mississippi River," but last year, some the corporate sponsers bailed, and their was a problem with some debt carried over from the prior year's display, so they didn't have a display. There was such a ruckus, they managed to reinstate it for this year.

:drinker: :drinker: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: Happy 4th to all!!:explode: :explode: :explode: :drinker: :drinker:
    Barb
  • rjadams
    :

Denise-If you come to Vancouver BC, you won't be all that far from Barbiecat, and from me and Kathy (pjms)--so maybe we need to plan an MFP "reunion"--(Is it still a reunion if the people have never met before?:noway: :wink: )

Barb

and me!! since I am just north of Seattle.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,129 Member
    :flowerforyou: Barb, thanks for the trip down memory lane with my posts from last year's holiday weekend events...that was a great trip and our last one in our motorhome......we're happy with the decision we made to sell it...in spite of the weather I've enjoyed being home on the Olympic Peninsula.....we will stay home at fireworks time tomorrow as we've done since our Golden Retriever, Shilo, got so upset by fireworks......in 1991 we were in a hotel over the 4th and watched fireworks on TV because we didn't want to drive to a strange place to watch them and ever since we've enjoyed TV fireworks....this will be the first year with our big flat screen TV:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Jackie, thank you for reminding me that NW Washington isn't the only place with cool, damp weather in July...too often it seems like everyone but us has hot weather

:flowerforyou: Amanda, your Saturday with DH sounds lovely especially seeing the sights of London....it is wonderful to love the place you live and enjoy the beauty and you go about your business......we spent our "US" time today rearranging furniture and moving things from room to room to make better use of space

:flowerforyou: tcac, I don't have a HRM but my pedometer inspires me the same way.....i stay active just to see the number of steps increase.....DH forgot to put his pedometer in his pocket this morning and didn't notice until after he cut the grass so he was disappointed at not getting as big a number (even so, he got over 10,000)......your family bicycle outing sound like a lot of fun.

:flowerforyou: Kathy, your trike sounds great.....do you have a picture of it?

:flowerforyou: Denise, I weigh myself every day but don't change my ticker until the same weight has lingered for a week....there are too many reasons for fluctuations

:flowerforyou: Laura, congratulations on your two pound weight loss :bigsmile: :drinker: you are so right to have healthy foods available at the bbq...those who fail to plan are those who plan to fail

:flowerforyou: Robin we had our own sodium fest today at home.....Hebrew National polish sausage with grilled veggies and sauerkraut....626 calories and 2700 mgs of sodium

:flowerforyou: Rebel, I love your new picture

I haven't finished reading all the posts but I'm exhausted and heading for bed:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: .
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    :

Barb

and me!! since I am just north of Seattle.

Robin,

Sorry, all these :explode: fireworks:explode: must have blown away what remained of my memory!! Of COURSE, you are actually closer to BC than any of us!! It would really be something if we could put a meeting together with Denise and anyone else from "across the pond" that cared to join us.

Barbie,

Glad you enjoyed my reminiscing.

Good night, I am really heading for bed.:yawn: I put clean sheets on tonight, and two of the "crew" have already been in the bed rumpling the covers about. If there is room for me, I will join them. Pepper likes to sleep stretched out full length on his back-CROSSWAYS--in the middle of the bed, :noway: so I usually have a "relocation" project to take care of before I can get in bed.:laugh: :laugh:

Barb
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Happy 4th of July ladies!

It's a bright and slightly breezy day here in London today. The sky is a beautiful blue and the garden is looking quite lush.

DH has gone for a hike but should be back home this afternoon in time to take me to South Kensington where I am meeting up with a friend for coffee. I haven't seen him for a while and we will have loads to catch up on.

I had my morning protein shake for breakfast and added a probiotic drink to it to try and up my protein level as I'm feeling a little below par. I had the beginnings of an asthma attack (just about managed to control it with my inhalers and then used my nebuliser) last night and I tend to feel a bit yucky afterwards for a couple of days. I also don't seem to have much of an appetite, so I'm going to try to make sure that what I do eat is highly nutritious.

Barb, I loved your story of July 4th 1976!

Linda, I hope Chloe is not feeling too badly after her bike ride and that it doesn't put her off future rides.

Rebel, you are looking great! The red dress really suits you.

I am happy to be another pound down (yay!) I need to lose another seven pounds to have a bmi that is overweight rather than obese. It would be great if I can do it before the end of July. My plan was to be at goal by Christmas this year. I really hope that I can do it as I still have another forty pounds to lose. Once I get to 140 pounds, I will re-evaluate the situation and see if I can go lower. I have to be realistic though as I know that I am going to have the dreaded saggy skin.

Part of me really wants to do my Lesley Sansone dvd before I go out this afternoon, but the the other part of me is resisting and telling me to get on the treadmill instead. Perhaps I'll be sensible and not try to push my luck too much, so maybe the treadmill is a better idea.

Well ladies, enjoy your day and (for those in the States) your celebrations! I will definitely spend a fourth of July over there one day.

Bona valetudo melior est quam maximae divitiae xx
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    :flowerforyou: A late good morning to everyone ......:drinker: Happy 4th July to all of you in the US.

:smile: Scales were the same again this morning ...phew!! I intend to be extra good today and maybe I'll have moved down a notch tomorrow!

The weather's blustery today ...we're awaiting heavy rain I've been told. I'll get DH to stand over the tomato plants with an umbrella if it's tooo heavy....!!!!

:frown: So much for the dentist!! ....I'm still getting the ouch factor on eating hot /cold things and when taking that deep breath in, mouth ajar!

:frown: Also ...DH has been looking at a Tense machine - non needle electronic home acupuncture. Anyone had any experience of this? He thought it may help with my shoulder and arm pain ...bless him. Anything to help without taking tablets.

:happy: A lazy Sunday today ...mind you most days seem to be ....I've done the washing, put in a loaf for DL, made a cup of coffee and am posting away.

I hope you've all enjoyed your weekend ....a new week begins tomorrow and I am going to lose next week ...I am ...I am.
    I'm looking forward to all your posts. Where else can you nip from one country to another, meeting friends along the way?
    I certainly love the idea of "meeting up" when I'm in Seattle ...next year after our Sept. Alaskan cruise. Wouldn't that be fun??

So BFN
    :heart: See you next week then ...
    Jackie
  • BarbieCat1
    BarbieCat1 Posts: 82
    Good morning.. Rainy 4th here in South Florida... outdoor plans are falling apart for many. I'm hopeful it'll clear later for fireworks.

We'd been asked out to dinner last night and i was nervous about overeating! Restaurants can trip me up... all those temptations and large servings.. the bread baskets, the creamy this, the "crispy" [read, fried] that ... :noway:

Fortunately our host left the restaurant choice up to us and we chose The Singing Bamboo, for Chinese food. I resisted the fat pills known as fried noodles and said no thanks to the offer of a sugary tropical beverage, opting for jasmine tea. I had a cup of veg soup with little cubes of tofu [very tasty, if salty] and a steamed seafood combo with broccoli with a light broth based sauce. They didn't have brown rice, so I only ate about a half cup of white. I brought half of my entre home for lunch today, and I'll cook some quick brown rice. I feel so virtuous. :blushing:

" ... Then did an earlyish visit to mum-in-law at the nursing home. She was NOT in a good mood. We wheeled her out into the garden (which normally cheers her up) but she pouted and complained for the entire time we were with her. I always feel impotent when she's like this as there is no way of making her happier..."

tiara... I feel your frustration ! My Mom doesn't get in foul moods, but at 91, it seems she spends an awful lot of time on the phone or in person with me and other family, complaining instead of conversing. It's not pleasant.

I sense many of the elderly who are crotchety complainers subconsciously wish they could turn back the clock to [real or imagined] happier days, so they feel an incurable frustration with their current lot in life, and there may be no long term way of making them happy except with short term distractions. We mustn't beat ourselves up over their moods. Ultimately, I feel we're each responsible for our own happiness and satisfaction.

Jackie, About a Tens machine... my daughter used one when she suffered from TMJ... expensive little bugger ! But she felt it helped a little. I suggest your DH might confer with at PT ... they can do amazing things for aches and pains and should know all about Tens machines too. Plus, you might look into renting one instead of buying.

Happy 4th to everyone in the USA. BC1
  • BarbieCat1
    BarbieCat1 Posts: 82
    Good morning.. Rainy 4th here in South Florida... outdoor plans are falling apart for many. I'm hopeful it'll clear later for fireworks.

We'd been asked out to dinner last night and i was nervous about overeating! Restaurants can trip me up... all those temptations and large servings.. the bread baskets, the creamy this, the "crispy" [read, fried] that ... :noway:

Fortunately our host left the restaurant choice up to us and we chose The Singing Bamboo, for Chinese food. I resisted the fat pills known as fried noodles and said no thanks to the offer of a sugary tropical beverage, opting for jasmine tea. I had a cup of veg soup with little cubes of tofu [very tasty, if salty] and a steamed seafood combo with broccoli with a light broth based sauce. They didn't have brown rice, so I only ate about a half cup of white. I brought half of my entre home for lunch today, and I'll cook some quick brown rice. I feel so virtuous. :blushing:

... Then did an earlyish visit to mum-in-law at the nursing home. She was NOT in a good mood. We wheeled her out into the garden (which normally cheers her up) but she pouted and complained for the entire time we were with her. I always feel impotent when she's like this as there is no way of making her happier...

tiara... I feel your frustration ! My Mom doesn't get in foul moods, but at 91, it seems she spends an awful lot of time on the phone or in person with me and other family, complaining instead of conversing. It's not pleasant.

I sense many of the elderly who are crotchety complainers subconsciously wish they could turn back the clock to [real or imagined] happier days, so they feel an incurable frustration with their current lot in life, and there may be no long term way of making them happy except with short term distractions. We mustn't beat ourselves up over their moods. Ultimately, I feel we're each responsible for our own happiness and satisfaction.

Jackie, About a Tens machine... my daughter used one when she suffered from TMJ... expensive little bugger ! But she felt it helped a little. I suggest your DH might confer with at PT ... they can do amazing things for aches and pains and should know all about Tens machines too. Plus, you might look into renting one instead of buying.

Happy 4th to everyone in the USA. BC1
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Happy 4th everyone here in the USA.

I just hate it when I get this far behind in reading the posts as I know I will not be able to catch up. I hope everyone is doing OK.

Spinning went better yesterday and now I can feel the pain you know where. But, I will hang in there and keep going to the class. It is a lot of fun to be in a group like that.

We are cooking out early evening then heading to Kirtland AFB to see their fireworks. I hope they are still having them this year and need to check on it some time today.

My other big news from last week is that DD and I went out an bought real sports bras after the first Spinning class. Such a boring life yet busy life I lead when that is big news.

Jeannie
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Just popped in to log food and did a quick check here.

Jackie - I have had a tens mechine used on the muscles in my forearms and it seemed to give results.
    I can't say for sure, as I was also getting PT at the time.

I had broken both my elbows in a bad fall; broke one in two places. After they healed enough, I needed PT because I didn't have anywhere near full arm extension due to muscle and tendon damage. After several weeks of PT, they added the tens machine and the combo seemed to work better than PT alone. So from my experience, I would say it's probably worth looking into.

Oh, and BTW, my arms are fine now. It took a lot of work on my own after PT ran out. Watching TV with my elbow propped up with a weight hanging from my hand to stretch out the tendons and muscles. I am trying not to be such a clutz anymore. :noway:

DH says I have driveway issues - that's where I tore up my elbows and then wrecked a foot. I'm still paying for the foot thingy, but it's ever so much better.

Faye
  • rjadams
    Happy 4th everyone.

I went thru my skinny clothes dream box and was able to wear about half of the stuff.:drinker: :drinker: I also tried on my wedding dress and it looks so good. I wish I looked that good in it last year when I got married. I had to wear a big ol suck'em up to get it zipped and yesterday I had no underwear at all on and it looked awesome. It felt so good and DH got all interested:blushing: if ya know what I mean. I am planning on enjoying my BBQ today and not sweating over it.

I have two very frightend dogs. Cowereing in corners trying to hide because of all the boom boom going on outside (DH isn't helping:grumble: ) This is Bodi's first 4th with us. I hope he survives:laugh:

Have an awesome day!
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,425 Member
    God Bless America!
    big_flag.gif
  • mookiemoomoo
    mookiemoomoo Posts: 53 Member
    happy 4th july to all my friends over the water. this is my july wish list . i need to get back exersising its most inportant. . but i feel at a loss as i have to go and see surgeon on the 20th july for my 3rd opperation since christmas you ladies will understand lady bits . i dont seem to be able to focus and i dont think i will till i know what he going to do next .

also i have started looking after a old neighbour who as moved about 10 mins away , i went at christmas when we had all the snow ,and i have kinda got the job now . she said just yesterday she did not need home help because i was doing it all for her lol . she is 90 and alone , so i cant leave her now .
    any way my goal is

1 . get to the gym
    2 .start swimming again
    3. lose 3lb

3lb does not seem a lot to people but for me i dont loose weight easy at all underactive thyroid among many things wrong .
    so i would be happy for that . will let you know when i get to the gym its going to happen very soon
This discussion has been closed.