WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY

Options

Replies

• Jeansattic
    Jeansattic Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi ....Just a quick question, I am 50 - +++ :wink: and wondered if I may join your group ???
    I have been reading everyones' Posts for several weeks & you-all seem like a great bunch..!!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Hi ....Just a quick question, I am 50 - +++ :wink: and wondered if I may join your group ???
    I have been reading everyones' Posts for several weeks & you-all seem like a great bunch..!!
    Of course you can join, and we are glad to have you! Welcome! Just jump right in and tell us about yourself!
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    The more the merrier! Welcome.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Rowenairene and jeansattic. We are a very supportive (and gabby) group. Just reading all the posts could become a full time job, but there is a lot to be learned. As Barbiecat will tell you, this is a life-changing group, and MFP is a life-changing website. Remember there are no stupid questions, drink your water, and think of what you are doing as a "lifestyle change"--NOT another "diet." My personal definition of "diet" is "A four-letter word that is synonymous with failure." Remember that you didn't gain your weight in a month, so you will not eliminated it quickly either.

The secret is to take small steps that you can sustain, and build on that. Exercise is important. If you have physical limitations, figure out the activities you CAN do and go from there. If you have a bad day, that is not a reason to throw in the towel and eat your way through the kitchen. "Every day is a NEW day"--another opportunity to do things that will propel you toward your ultimate goal of better health.

Okay, I am stepping off the soapbox:blushing: Sometimes I need to remind myself of the "truths" that keep me here. So far, got the doggies out for a walk, but Mai Li and Pepper both "ran out of gas" quickly, and as usual, my sweet little old man, Bradley, was standing around impatiently, not even panting, wanting to go on walking. After letting my two little "hot dogs" catch their breath, we came home, and now everyone is snoozing, except me. We are supposed to get close to 90 (F) today, and we will be above that for the next several days. I feel for those in the eastern US and other places experiencing the heat wave. After all the lousy weather we have had so far this year, a little heat and sun will be nice, but I am sure by the weekend, there will be someone on the TV weather news complaining about the hot weather here!!:ohwell:

Despite the transgressions of July 4th and 5th, I didn't gain anything over the weekend and to this point, so that is a good thing. Everyone have a good and healthy day.

Barb.

PS: Newbies, just to keep things interesting, we have multiple Barbara's on this thread: Barbiecat, Barbiecat1, auntiebk, one other person who hasn't posted lately, and me.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hi Ester! Nice to see you posting here again.

Tiarapants – If you ever come south for a “4th” you have got to see a big fireworks display! Mostly we cook out and make things go ‘boom’.

AuntieBK – I am going to try a lot of Y classes. I really do like Spinning and wish I could go more than just once a week. Cardio kickboxing was fun and my son and I might do that over the winter after soccer is finished,

We went to see fireworks done by the City of Albuquerque. It was a blast. Other than that we cooked out several times and had friends over.

My family use to be 60-70% fireman. We had more confiscated fireworks than you can imagine. My uncles use to bring them home and set them off. Some how I never felt sorry for the people who bought them then had them taken away by those pesky firemen. For something illegal, fireworks are everywhere. I admit to having some really great stories about my firemen uncles and 4th of July parties.

A very good friend who is in his 50's married a 28 year old woman from Columbia that he met over the Internet last year and they are expecting a baby this year. I am reserving all judgment on the matter and hope that he is happier than he was with his first wife. But he did mentioned that most of his friends have deserted him/them including his two children.

I did OK with calories and managed to work on my one and only flowerbed.

Our 7 year old house cat went out the dog door and was missing over night and most of yesterday. We searched all the neighborhood barns and found her hiding in our neighbor's hay barn. But, she took off again when we tried to get near her. Several hours later she just rubbed up against my leg when I was pruning our rose bushes. Our dogs are upset, but the dog door is now closed. Hazel hadn't been outside since she was a kitten. She never has wanted out even though she could. But, since we lost the two other cats we've had in the last 7 years we don't want to take any more chances.

Jeannie
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    WELCOME, WELCOME New Ladies! You have found a special group of helpful, supportive women. I wish you great success on this journey!

Just got home after a visit with parents and then on to VA to spend the long weekend with my Sisters-in-law. We had a great visit and we got some great walks in, but unfortunately, a bit more food than I needed. (Also, a bit more wine than I needed.) It was a nice visit though, so I am back home and back on track. Hopefully the time spent walking up mountains made up for some of the over-indulgence...??? I am reminded of the saying, "If you Fail to Plan, You Plan to Fail." :explode: :explode: :explode: I am afraid that pretty much sums up my time there!

I read most of the posts that I missed, but rather quickly. I HAVE to go unpack and get a few things done before I run out of steam. Driving for so long makes me sleepy. DH gets home this Sunday, so I need to really up my exercise and watch my food for the rest of the week!!! Hope everyone is well and look forward to catching back up with everyone. Take care, All, Kackie:heart:
  • FitnessOver50
    Options
    For women over 50 intent on improving their health - you should know about Tosca Reno.

[LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN - Please remember, advertising or self-promotion is not allowed on the forums]
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone's 4th of July weekend went well! :flowerforyou: We were soooo busy! :noway: We spent Sat. cleaning the house that we were moving our daughter into yesterday! July 4th was a cookout and a baby shower. And, yes, we spent July 5th moving and entire apartment to a house and unpacking as well as putting beds and kitchen cupboards togather!!! What a day!!!!!!! :noway: It was so humid and hot....in the 90's! :drinker: :drinker: Lots of water and even some pizza!:tongue: I was ready to just about faint and they ordered pizza!:ohwell: At that point.....being sensible kicked in, as we were between 2 houses with no food!!! I really am not even a little bit worried about it, as I figured I must have burned over 2000 calories moving boxes all day as well as doing the treadmill for an hour in the morning! (It may seem odd to exercise on a day that you will burn so many calories, but sometimes, for me, the exercise gets me in gear and warms the muscles up!) But We worked from 8:30 AM to 8:30 PM and were absolutely pooped!!!! Today I am back at work and finding myself starring at the computer:laugh: :laugh:
    So haven't had time to read posts but just dropping in to say hi!
    Have a great week!
    BirdieM:heart:
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm new to this site, I like it very much. Well put together. I am 53, working too hard with two jobs, a home, a elder sister and 7 wonderful pets to care for. I am needing a spark to get my motivation started. I know all the right things of weight loss and the benefits, however the brain and motivation are not talking to each other. I don't know how to tackle this. I have had a month of fatigue and little interest of anything, perhaps I was just burned out, add going to College and home studies to the list above for a good seven years.

I have lost 25 pounds in the recent months, and my determination is still there, I am watching what I eat and not going over the limits. It's just I can't see to get to the gym. I have 4 great programs to scale the body to a wonderful thing, but???

I am not giving in to this, I am going to read and participate in all my weight loss programs and see if something triggers the motivation.

Looking at this thread it sure is full of fire and will, and I will be my best to participate with all of you.
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm new to this site, I like it very much. Well put together. I am 53, working too hard with two jobs, a home, a elder sister and 7 wonderful pets to care for. I am needing a spark to get my motivation started. I know all the right things of weight loss and the benefits, however the brain and motivation are not talking to each other. I don't know how to tackle this. I have had a month of fatigue and little interest of anything, perhaps I was just burned out, add going to College and home studies to the list above for a good seven years.

I have lost 25 pounds in the recent months, and my determination is still there, I am watching what I eat and not going over the limits. It's just I can't see to get to the gym. I have 4 great programs to scale the body to a wonderful thing, but???

I am not giving in to this, I am going to read and participate in all my weight loss programs and see if something triggers the motivation.

Looking at this thread it sure is full of fire and will, and I will be my best to participate with all of you.
    WELCOME. We are here to encourage you. This is a great group of women and we all have our own struggles. Sometimes we're strong and sometimes not so much. Join in and share your struggles and your triumphs and we will cheer you on as well as celebrate with you.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    ainsliegen - don't beat yourself up -- just get right back on the horse. As a matter of fact, sometimes it's good to go higher on the calories for one day. Shakes the system up. Just don't let it happen day in and day out, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Gave a lot of the leftovers to the couple who was over last night, then gave more to Jessica right before she left. Unfortunately for Vince, that means that he'll have to cook the rest of the beef tenderloin so Bryan can have some. But that's OK. And here Vince said that I cook for 60 -- there isn't any more beef that he cooked left, no more of the macaroni salad, no more of the brown rice. There is a some of the apple crumble left and a small piece of the key lime pie (apple crumble is for me). Only 2 ears of the corn on the cob are left, so I'm sure we'll finish that up. Interestingly....Bryan isn't so much into vegetables. I'm a bit surprised at that. He's my "healthy" eater. Now that I think of it, I probably shouldn't have given them all of the brown rice, I could have given some of that to Vince for dinner. Oh well......

Did an hour workout on the bosu today (Mon). Tomorrow, strength training

Denise - I don't even sing in the shower, I'm so bad. I am a Eucharistic Minister and a Lector at my church, take collections for the local soup kitchen once every three months, but there's one thing I won't do and that is be in the choir. Unless they want people to start walking out....lol

While working out on the bosu today, I realized that when I get a hot flash, the sweat pours down the backs of my knees. It seems that most women have the sweat pouring down their chest, but the backs of my knees is where I seem to get it. I can't get over how much I sweat doing this bosu workout.

Robin - about sleeping on the floor with pets.....I found out the hard way that a tile floor in the bathroom is VERY VERY uncomfortable to sleep on. When Melanie was here because she "was hit by a car" (we seriously think she was abused by SFB, although we don't have any proof), I slept on the floor with her. Then, when PJ was so sick, we kept him in the bathroom and one of the bedrooms, I slept right by him. Only this time I used my yoga mat and laid on that.

tcac - I never really looked to see if the calories burned are the same when working out as when the body is at rest. I only noticed that it said I was burning calories when I was doing the intervals -- I would have thought that when I was sprinting I would be burning more calories than when I was recovering. But, you know what, I bet it all evens out in the end! Awesome bike ride!

mookiemoo - that is so sad about that lady. How sweet of you to help her out like you do!

Did an hour of this Lalofit DVD (strength training) today (Tues). Tomorrow....water aerobics. It's supposed to be hot too.

I have this recipe for these sweet potato muffins that I'm dying to try, so I think I'll make them for our Newcomer's meeting next week. Unfortunately, they probably won't go over all that well so I made a sour cream coffee cake to take also. I'm going to let the cake cool and then freeze it.

rowen... (you gotta get a shorter name for me or maybe I'll just abbreviate it) - you'll get lots of support here, that's for sure!

Wonder if anyone can help me with this? A few years ago we had an absolutely wonderful lady taking care of my father. She returned to Poland. I like to keep in touch with her. Unfortunately, she doesn't speak much English and I don't speak much Polish. My father could speak Polish so that worked well for him. Anyway, I'm trying to find someone, anyone, who will translate letters from Polish to English and then English to Polish for me. Does anyone possibly know of someone who would do this for me?

Jeansattic - just jump right in and tell us more about yourself!

Barb (weaklink) - I used to tell my kids that the only stupid question is the question that isn't asked.

About illegal fireworks - when we lived in the Poconos, next door to us lived a state trooper. You should have seen his fireworks display! Yes, fireworks are illegal in PA, but that didn't matter.

marlouise - I don't know how you even find time to eat, you're so busy. You tire me out just reading all that's on your plate! As the saying goes: a problem shared is a problem halved, and we're here to help halve.

Everyone have a great evening!

Michele
  • chicletgirl
    chicletgirl Posts: 113
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I am new and saw your thread and asked if I could join. A bunch of you responded and made me feel welcome. At the time I was looking at the March blog and noticed things in there that I knew about or have done. I saw the gratitude diary mentioned and have done that, so I felt like I might relate to this site.

In May I had gone into my doctors office for a yearly physical and when weighed was 280. At that time I was thinking of doing bariatric surgery. During the next month I consulted with a bariatric doctor and decided on doing the vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I aqm unemployed but have insurance still. I am limited in what I can buy at the grocery store so I eliminated diet soda and went with green tea. I was drinking about a pitcher a day, other than that I did not change the way I was eating. I was not dieting yet. I went back to my original doctor and told her I wanted to go on a diet. So she weighed me and imagine my surprise when I had lost 9 lbs! I hadn't been dieting. When she asked me what I did different I told her that I switched to green tea. she told me that green tea has been reported to help people lose weight, specifically around the belly. So i have been drinking the stuff ever since.

I have been dieting since June 14th but have no idea how much I have lost. I have an appointment with my doctor next week for a weigh in. I am supposed to be doing 1600 calories with no more than 120 carbs per day. I have been doing fine with the carbs but have a difficult time getting enough calories. I average about 1000 a day. I notice my food diary warns me that I am not gettig enough nutrition and is afraid I will go into a starvaton mode. I'm not hungry. I haven't cheated. I'm not bored with my food. Just concerned about the calorie part. My doctor says not to worry as at this time I am unable to exercise and the calorie level is okay. My knees are very bad with arthritis and the weight. I am hoping to lose some weight so that I can start walking again. I know once I begin walking again that I will lose more weight. (I was on Jenny Craig and got down to 130 lbs by just walking. Unfortunately I lost the weight for the wrong reason and was very ANGRY at the attention I got from people who suddenly liked me, even though I was the same person. I literally gained it all back because of that reason.) This time I am doing it for me and my health. The right reasons. I am anxious to see what I will weigh in at next week. Last ime I was in there I weighed 171. Very nervous.
    Chiclet
  • mookiemoomoo
    mookiemoomoo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    good morning every one .love reading all the posts . and every body is doing so well . i hope i lose a pound on friday will be very happy if i do .and yes going to gym friday lol . every body have a good day .
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Greetings and happy July 7 to all...I can't believe we're a week into July and I just found the new thread! Thank you Barbiecat for posting the reminder after my July 4 post to the June-Part Two thread! I'm using fatigue as my excuse...grandson is still here and he does keep us hopping.

Weight loss is slow and easy as she goes, but at least it is happening...one painfully slow pound at a time. Life goes back to normal here next Monday...so will catch up as I can when I can.

Everyone have a great day:flowerforyou: !
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have decided to set a goal of losing 1 pound per week. I haven't been setting any goals and consequently I haven't been losing any weight. My husband and I have started exercising every day and I am going to start drinking at least 80 OZ. of water daily. It really does feel good to get back to exercising. I want that freedom of movement and general well being feeling that I have when I do what I should! Hope you all have a great day and keep from those things that throw you off track.:flowerforyou:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Greetings to all newcomers and all the regulars who have posted so far for July!

Today I got to sit at my computer, drink my coffee and put in all my calories for the day on what I've planned. If I still to the plan I can have my ice cream treat tonight! So, I guess I better stick to the plan.

General comments:

Eating too little calories a day - This will definitely keep you from loosing weight and put your body into starvation mode. If you are eating around 1,000 add in fruit or a snack at night to get you up to 1200.

4th of July weekend for us in the USA - From what I've read in the comments I think we all did better this past weekend then we have in the past with holidays and all the extra food that comes with them. This is wonderful and a sign that our habits are changing. A pat on the back to all of us who did better this year.

Have a great day everyone,

Jeannie
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    A very good Wednesday to you all!

What a lot of posts today! Lots of newcomers too - hello and welcome! I haven't quite got the time to respond to everyone individually today, but know that I have read your posts and you are all in my thoughts.

Michelle, I had never heard of the Lalofit workout and just looked it up - I'm going to try to get hold of a copy and save it for when I'm a bit fitter. At the moment I think it would just about do me in!

DH and I are going to do some more clearing out this Saturday. I want to make more space in my gym as I'm getting more equipment. I've also just ordered myself a tv/dvd combo to put on the wall so that I can do my workout dvds in there too. The only thing that I'm not going to put in that room is my rebounder. I think it would bring the ceiling down! At present I'm only using it in the garden - good job we have nice high fences all the way round!

After I'd been to see my therapist this morning, I did a little shopping. I got some gorgeous wool to knit some outfits for the grandtwins. Mostly neutral colours (until we have the sexes confirmed) although I did get some beautiful pale blue. DD#1 loves browns and beiges but she did mention the other day that she wouldn't mind some red blankets. I've got a pattern for some cot blankets with stars done in intarsia and thought they would look lovely in red with white stars.

I also got some new tops for myself. I've gone down another size in the last two weeks (yay!). Realistically I should stop buying new clothes until I get down to goal, but I wanted something decent to wear when we go up to York in a fortnight. We will be visiting DH's aunt who is quite a famous and extremely talented sculptress (If you want to see some of her work, look up Sally Arnup online, it will take you to her site. She does lots of amazing animal bronzes). We don't get to see the whole family very often, which is a shame as they are a truly interesting bunch. All that side of the family are artists (potters, painters etc). My DH always laments the fact that he isn't artistic, but he is an excellent author and that's just a different kind of art.

Singing - ah, how blessed I am to have such a beautiful voice ..... is something that is never said about me!! However, when I am in church I sing loudly and proudly. I may not have talent, but I do have volume and enthusiasm! It is also possible that I may have taught my sister to sing as she is equally as 'talented' as I in that department. We are deadly at karaoke!

Lesley Sansone beckons, so I'd better get my walking shoes on.

Enjoy your day - oh, and every time you read or hear the word water, take a sip! xx
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Well, I missed my June goals completely. In fact, the scale seems to be climbing slowly up. I am going to change my goal emphasis for July and leave the scale out of the equation. I am going to drink more water, excercise to burn at least 300 calories a day, and stay closer to my calorie limit. Having only men around the house has made my overeating look like less than it really is, since they can apparently eat like mad!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, I haven't posted for a couple of days but I have been lurking.

I had a really bad weekend and on top of that I didn't feel good. I still have stomach issues. (I have always had a nervous stomach and have been diagnosed with it at two different times in my life) I think the stress of congress and the unemployment extension finally made my stomach go crazy. So I tend to munch to try to feel better. I have been high in sodium and low in water until yesterday. I was up over 5 pounds in water gain fortunately three of them are gone this morning since I was back on track yesterday. I am motivated to guzzle water and stay away from the munchies.

So next Monday I have my doctors appointment. I will finally have blood work done (never have done it in the past) and what ever else they seem to think I need for a complete physical at age 50. It will be good to see what my cholesteral is and just to see what the docs scale says that I have lost.

We are finally having summer. It is supposed to get up into the 90's around here. I am very happy about that but I need to be sure to get my workouts done early. since we only have weather like this about 2 weeks a year I obviously don't have A/C and it can get a bit uncomfortable in the late afternoon and early evening.

I hope everyone has a great day. You are all in my thoughts.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to the newbies and Happy Wednesday to all.

It's overcast and cold here in Denver today, right now about 58, yesterday at this time in the morning it was already 70! But this is just a small bump it will be warm again tomorrow and into the 90's by Sunday. It just seemed strange to put on jeans and a lite sweater today, instead of the short sleeved top with capris:wink:

Sticking to the plan today, I still have quite a bit of healthy leftovers from the weekend so will be eating a lot of veggies in the next few days. Woke up with a headache this morning and I'm thinking it's because I didn't get enough water yesterday, so I've resolved to drink more today.

Hope everyone has a good day, keep up the good fight against those unwanted pounds.

Laura:smile: