Hiking for fitness

Options
I would like to connect (with) folks who are into hiking. I moved to Seattle area a year ago, and started hiking a few months back. It has done wonders to my mental and physical health: I have lost weight; my energy level is up; sleep better; better focus; me-time helps me de-stress, ... the list goes on. I hit the trails every Saturday morning. During the weekdays spend some time in the gym to improve my fitness. Honestly, it is more mental strength right now than my fitness but I keep raising the bar every weekend - one little step at a time.

I would like other hikers to share their experiences, training programs, diet plans, motivational tips, tips on trail heads, .., or any other interesting insight.

I am certain this will motivate other people to take up this great outdoor activity.

Sam
Redmond, WA

Replies

• Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Well the last time I went hiking I broke my ankle and had to have search and rescue bring me down. That was fun!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hiking is my thing!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    F**k that.

Hike for scenery, not fitness. Fitness is just the icing on the cake.

Which are your favorite trails? Have you explored NOCA much? Can I post (local) photos in your thread?
  • Alisonswim46
    Options
    Just don't hike Mailbox!
  • MountainSam
    MountainSam Posts: 46 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    North Cascades - absolutely do post pictures, I have not been to Noca but will put that on my list. Thanks for the tip.
  • MountainSam
    Options
    Recent hike: Mailbox Peak, WA
  • MountainSam
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »
    Well the last time I went hiking I broke my ankle and had to have search and rescue bring me down. That was fun!

Sorry to hear that. That is an awful injury, hope you have recovered. I hope it makes you stronger
  • NorthCascades
    Options

I hope it was free. @sireenmalik2014 should know that in our area, search and rescue is ALWAYS free, in large part for the safety of the people doing the rescue work (who are mostly volunteers). I also hope you're doing ok.

Here's a great video of a recent SAR mission on Dragontail Peak, in the Enchantment Lakes Basin near Leavenworth.

You're in good shape if you did Mailbox Peak.

But I want you to make me a promise. No more "close in" hikes until the rainy season begins. I'm going to send you to more spectacular places.
  • MountainSam
    Options
    @NorthCascades - appreciate that tip; I didn't know about the free rescue. That is a good way to encourage the outdoor activities.

I just checked the NoCA trails. That area is breathtakingly beautiful. I am going to go there sooner than later. I will start with the day trips
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Next thing I want to talk about is a tree, the alpine (Lyall's) larch. It's a deciduous (like a maple) which means that it drops its leaves in the fall. But it's also a conifer (like a pine) which means it has needles and cones. So you'd look at it and think it's an evergreen, but it's not. Anyway, the cool part is that it turns golden yellow in the fall, which is coming up. This is an absolute must see, in the fall you should mysteriously get sick and be unable to go to work for a couple days. It's called larch fever and it's a common ailment in these parts.

24743516711_fcf3fccbe6_o_d.jpg

24836920185_5d2ba9322b_o_d.jpg

These only live (here) at high altitude (around 5k+) on the east slope of the Cascades, north of around Cle Elum. You can find them in the Teanaway, Enchantments, Chelan Sawtooths, NOCA, and the Pasayten. These are a must see in their season. Also, the needles are very soft to the touch, like cat fur.

Here are some trails where you'll see them.

I don't know Trisp River Road very well so I can't recommend much in there, but that area is full of them as well. All of the ones above are spectacular in their own right, and even better in season.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I hike for both fun & fitness. Sadly, not in any of the picturesque places shown
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I hike every Saturday as well! In Montana there are literally hundreds of places to hike. It is fantastic, and I agree with the varied benefits. It's not just exercise, it's relaxing, invigorating, inspiring, and wonderful.
  • MountainSam
    Options
    @NorthCascades - cheers, bud, for the very detailed guidance. I am adding all those to my 'weekend trails and hikes' list. Those pictures are motivation enough. Now I understand your 'kitten that' :)
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I feel like a broken record with the larch thing, but here's another great trail you should absolutely do. Let me quote a good friend.

(1) "You haven't lived until you've been to Harts Pass."
    (2) "Maple Pass is the best ridge walk in the state."

She was right on both counts.

Heather & Maple Pass Loop

This one starts on SR 20 at Rainy Pass, and it gets busy. Last year during larch season my friend and I left Seattle at 3 am to do this hike, we beat the crowds, got a good parking space, and were in an alpine meadow for sunrise. It's busy because it's effing gorgeous. This is also a great spring (June) hike because of the wildflowers in the meadow sections. Hell, it's a great any time hike because of the mountain scenery in every direction. Don't do it if you're very afraid of heights because there's a knife-edge section.

This is a high country hike, full of rock gardens and silver wood. But you'll have to trudge through a few miles of forest to get there.

There's a side trip to Ann Lake that's probably worth doing, too, but I don't have pictures online from there.

21785595720_620706b743_o_d.jpg

21947512866_a2b9d342bf_o_d.jpg

21352561183_c67d1c1f8a_o_d.jpg

^ There was a glacier here (right edge) when you were born.

21785852648_347d365c12_o_d.jpg

The hill in the next two pics was the local Shangri La.

21785595380_ed60a0e3ab_o_d.jpg

21973704475_39252bba85_o_d.jpg

21961537202_e5aca27434_o_d.jpg

^ You can see the large glacier basin on the right, the ice melted away 20 or 30 (?) years ago, it's being colonized by larches now.

21947512176_fbff10ed21_o_d.jpg
  • Alisonswim46
    Options

I hope it was free. @sireenmalik2014 should know that in our area, search and rescue is ALWAYS free, in large part for the safety of the people doing the rescue work (who are mostly volunteers). I also hope you're doing ok.

Here's a great video of a recent SAR mission on Dragontail Peak, in the Enchantment Lakes Basin near Leavenworth.

But I want you to make me a promise. No more "close in" hikes until the rainy season begins. I'm going to send you to more spectacular places.

• Alisonswim46
    Options
    SAR was free. Rescue was on mailbox.