Hiking for fitness

Options

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    @quiltlovinlisa Hopefully the weather changes and we get snow before you go, the smoke from the fires can put a damper on things.

We were just there last weekend (we live in South Eastern Idaho, so it was a day trip) and it wasn't too bad most of the time. Of course that could change drastically by October, we'll see. Hiking Yellowstone is my favorite all time thing, so I'm hopeful. :smiley:

My neighbor just drove down through West Yellowstone and said it was awful there. Of course, "awful" is relative. The fires of 1988 were the worst ever, thankfully it's not like that. I live in Bozeman, so we're practically neighbors. ;)
  • MountainSam
    MountainSam Posts: 46 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @grinning_chick

Great insights. Thank you. This message of yours goes cut-and-paste into my prep notes - for phase 2 of my hiking trips. The first chapter was to build stamina, confidence and also improve overall fitness. It is littered with update on cutting weight and burning calories.

Another month or two of near-Seattle hikes before I venture further out. Those Northern Cascades got me motivated.

• rlpomeroy
    rlpomeroy Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a couple of days hiking the Superior National Hiking Trail here in Minnesota. It's a couple of hours drive from my house to the southern end, so I can't do it every weekend, but I have plans to do the whole 310 miles a section at a time.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    @quiltlovinlisa Hopefully the weather changes and we get snow before you go, the smoke from the fires can put a damper on things.

We were just there last weekend (we live in South Eastern Idaho, so it was a day trip) and it wasn't too bad most of the time. Of course that could change drastically by October, we'll see. Hiking Yellowstone is my favorite all time thing, so I'm hopeful. :smiley:

My neighbor just drove down through West Yellowstone and said it was awful there. Of course, "awful" is relative. The fires of 1988 were the worst ever, thankfully it's not like that. I live in Bozeman, so we're practically neighbors. ;)

I thought it was beautiful there, fire and all. I was in Yellowstone in 1989 and 2015. Yep, awful! Lol
  • candicejavierb
    candicejavierb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ladeeda103 wrote: »
    I'm in Colorado and I LOVE hiking. I struggle with anxiety and hiking does wonders for it. Feel free to add me!

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

I have asthma and I definitely was uncomfortable in West Yellowstone but I noticed as we got further into the Caldera, that the air quality improved. Since we were short on time (we went Monday and I started a new job on Tuesday, so didn't want to drive into our driveway at 10:00pm, lol) we mostly hiked around Old Faithful.

We usually search out new trails that we've never hiked before, finding new things to see but it wasn't meant to be this last time. We were all crowded with too many people to see the sights. It's only been the last couple of years we've really had a chance to really get out there. Our youngest two are now ten (identical twin boys) and can handle 3-6 miles pretty easily, although, we hear about it if we push them too much.

Going with just hubs and not worrying about the short legged people would be so incredibly fun!

Anyway, we're no stranger to Yellowstone. It's our favorite get away!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I only get to hike once or twice a year these days. Geography matters and I'm no longer a convenient one hour ride from the mountains. I think hiking is a nearly spiritual experience for me and one that dearly miss.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I only get to hike once or twice a year these days. Geography matters and I'm no longer a convenient one hour ride from the mountains. I think hiking is a nearly spiritual experience for me and one that dearly miss.

There doesn't need to be mountains to hike. I live in the midwest on the plains (there are hills, though) and hike quite a bit here. Sometimes it is through a forest, sometimes around a lake (often with woods around the lake). I've hiked in many other states on all kinds of terrain. Part of the fun of hiking is getting to see a variety of eco-systems. I have hiked in areas where I could see several eco-systems in a matter of hours - from ocean to forest and in between.
  • MountainSam
    Options

Exactly ! This is a benefit I was not expecting: it is mediative, therapeutic, spiritual. After the hikes, even though I am exhausted to the bones,I feel mentally wonderful. Something that I have not felt for years in this 9-to-5 (rather 9-to-9) job cycles.

As somebody else noted, I also think, going for a walk in the forest is as good as a hike as on a mountain.

• MountainSam
    Options
    Today in Oregon. Multnomah Falls, OR

There's a nice loop if you go up the Multnomah Falls trail and come down the Wahkeena Falls trail. It's an easy/moderate 5 miles RT or so, IIRC. And there's even a great spoiler (I'm not going to explain it here) side trail if you ever do it.

One of the members of our group slipped and hurt her hand; we stopped the hike and turned around. We will return and take another stab soon, and will also look for that surprise trail :)
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hi, recently returned to mfp. My new job allows me to be off for 8 days in a row every other week (I work really long shifts 6 days in a row). Anyhoo, this has allowed me much backpacking and hiking time this summer. In fact, I have hiked somewhere every other week since beginning of January. I live on Olympic Peninsula. Planning on backpacking 2 nights in north cascades next week or week after Labor Day. Loved seeing north cascade pics. I recently cleaned friends list up, but I would welcome you on my page. I also have a facebook page, that I tried to get going called Hikes I Like. Maybe you could find it and like it and we could post stuff there. My goal with that page was to start sharing hike reports. My goal this year is to do 25 hikes, including 5 backpacking trips. I've done 3 backpacking so far. Feel free to send a friend request! Thanks for the post!
  • Mentiri
    Mentiri Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Olympic National Park is right over the hill behind my house, so I am out there hiking several times a week! Last summer my son and I hiked all the trails around Mt. St. Helens and saw some beautiful country.
  • MountainSam
    Options

c2sky wrote: »
    Hi, recently returned to mfp. My new job allows me to be off for 8 days in a row every other week (I work really long shifts 6 days in a row). Anyhoo, this has allowed me much backpacking and hiking time this summer. In fact, I have hiked somewhere every other week since beginning of January. I live on Olympic Peninsula. Planning on backpacking 2 nights in north cascades next week or week after Labor Day. Loved seeing north cascade pics. I recently cleaned friends list up, but I would welcome you on my page. I also have a facebook page, that I tried to get going called Hikes I Like. Maybe you could find it and like it and we could post stuff there. My goal with that page was to start sharing hike reports. My goal this year is to do 25 hikes, including 5 backpacking trips. I've done 3 backpacking so far. Feel free to send a friend request! Thanks for the post!

I envy you for your job. What a great gig you got there ? :) And, you live in a great place also. I started hiking only recently, and aimed for a hike every Saturday. So far I have done 17 without any gaps. Please do share your experiences and pics here too. It will motivate all of us. Cheers !
  • MountainSam
    Options
    Mentiri wrote: »
    Olympic National Park is right over the hill behind my house, so I am out there hiking several times a week! Last summer my son and I hiked all the trails around Mt. St. Helens and saw some beautiful country.

Awesome place to live. Do share some pics if possible. Thanks

• sunnybeaches105
    edited August 2016
    Options

There doesn't need to be mountains to hike. I live in the midwest on the plains (there are hills, though) and hike quite a bit here. Sometimes it is through a forest, sometimes around a lake (often with woods around the lake). I've hiked in many other states on all kinds of terrain. Part of the fun of hiking is getting to see a variety of eco-systems. I have hiked in areas where I could see several eco-systems in a matter of hours - from ocean to forest and in between.

I live in Florida. Trust me on this one. I've lived in places where three extremely different ecosystems are each only a bit over an hour away, and that is what I was alluding to in my post. I miss that. That said, I love the beach as much as I adore the mountains, and when I can run on the beach I find the solace nearly the same.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I live in Florida. Trust me on this one. I've lived in places where three extremely different ecosystems are each only a bit over an our away, and that is what I was alluding to in my post. I miss that. That said, I love the beach as much as I adore the mountains, and when I can run on the beach I find the solace nearly the same.

Depending on what part of FL you are in, I've hiked in SE GA - just over the border from FL - in an area where I traversed 5 eco-systems without returning to my car.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I live in Florida. Trust me on this one. I've lived in places where three extremely different ecosystems are each only a bit over an hour away, and that is what I was alluding to in my post. I miss that. That said, I love the beach as much as I adore the mountains, and when I can run on the beach I find the solace nearly the same.

I have never been to Florida but it looks pretty damn flat, the highest peak is 345 feet. Yep, I'd run on the beach too!! :) Besides, checking out the ecosystems of your woods and wetlands sounds treacherous. You know bugs and all. LOL
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

I live in Florida. Trust me on this one. I've lived in places where three extremely different ecosystems are each only a bit over an our away, and that is what I was alluding to in my post. I miss that. That said, I love the beach as much as I adore the mountains, and when I can run on the beach I find the solace nearly the same.

Depending on what part of FL you are in, I've hiked in SE GA - just over the border from FL - in an area where I traversed 5 eco-systems without returning to my car.

I've lived there and hiked GA extensively. It's now several hours away
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I have never been to Florida but it looks pretty damn flat, the highest peak is 345 feet. Yep, I'd run on the beach too!! :) Besides, checking out the ecosystems of your woods and wetlands sounds treacherous. You know bugs and all. LOL

It's basically hiking swamps here and the ticks are such that I'm not subjecting my kids to it. When we backpack we take the family north and disappear into the mountains. Like I said before, I miss being able to do that nearly every weekend. I just run, walk and lift here.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    We did Cascade Pass and the first mile of the Ptarmigan Traverse yesterday. We got turned around by nasty loose crap at the top of a gully, it was a "no fall zone" and there were a few moves we just didn't want anything to do with. Will have to go back with proper gear next time.

Saw a rescue on Sahale Peak.

28539383733_64d813826c_o_d.jpg

29158001305_3bb905d52e_o_d.jpg