Hiking for fitness

Options

Replies

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Hiking is my very favorite thing. And for me the fitness is a bonus, not the main point. My favorite hikes are at Mount Rainier National Park. Here's one from a few weeks ago (I'm no fancy photographer):
    j5bicmjfobeu.jpg

q8ypyod1ai8e.jpg
    k9fovhiw5l95.jpg

I'll hopefully be heading to Lake Ingalls next Saturday. I decided to stay home this weekend and avoid the Labor Day crowds and traffic.

I love this thread! It's great to see everyone's hikes. :)
  • 11thChakra
    11thChakra Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey, OP.

The best advice I can give you is to take time during your hike to listen to your own body. You've been given a great deal of ideas that have helped other people on their own hikes.

I have found that really tuning in to my BODY rather than my IDEA of what I should be doing, helps me determine if I need to break more or keep going, or eat/drink a particular item or not eat anything.

It took me some time to trust myself and to realize that every day I hike is different. I do "check in" with my body about every 50 minutes to see what's going on.

~Best to you!
  • MountainSam
    MountainSam Posts: 46 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @7elizamae ...same here. My life style leads my fitness and hopefully not the way around, btw, I practice mindful living and these hike are also meditative.

Thanks for sharing those lovely pics.
  • MountainSam
    Options
    11thChakra wrote: »
    Hey, OP.

The best advice I can give you is to take time during your hike to listen to your own body. You've been given a great deal of ideas that have helped other people on their own hikes.

I have found that really tuning in to my BODY rather than my IDEA of what I should be doing, helps me determine if I need to break more or keep going, or eat/drink a particular item or not eat anything.

It took me some time to trust myself and to realize that every day I hike is different. I do "check in" with my body about every 50 minutes to see what's going on.

~Best to you!

Very interesting insight, I must admit that while my body is begging me to give up my mind keeps on pushing me to take the next step, it is like a constant struggle. I know I have a limit but it is driven by estimation of the risk or survival. In most situations I find myself pushing my body limit.

But please share what mental checks are you doing to monitor and tune the body? I'm interested in learning more about this.
  • 7elizamae
    Options
    Did this Moderate trail, Poo Poo Point, today. I did this same trail 3 months back when I started hiking this summer; I did it in half the time today. Pleased with the progress on fitness but I know I got some ways to go.

l94dcw0bvuqb.jpeg

I've not done Poo Poo Point, but think I will after seeing this pic!
    I love this thread!
  • 7elizamae
    Options
    Granite Mountain, WA hike today. Loved it, 10+ miles hike. It was foggy and rainy ...so will do it again, Burt 2000+ calories as well

imelskhbz56t6m.jpeg
    aalu0tuycfn9.jpeg
    00vby9s57se1.jpeg
    ayvza5iz6nwbwp.jpeg
    5jxr4faivq1y.jpeg

k8h0vzfrrdb0.jpeg
    lfh7brarrec9.jpeg

So beautiful! I love some cloudy hikes after all the sun the past months. I was crazy hot last time I was out hiking! I am not used to that kind of heat in W. WA.
  • 7elizamae
    Options
    11thChakra wrote: »
    Hey, OP.

~Best to you!

Good advice. Although my personal "checking-in" really just consists of stopping and resting whenever needed -- I refuse to hurry (unless the weather is turning or something like that). I love to just stop and be out there in the woods/on the mountain.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Folks - I had setup a Facebook page (group) for a similar purpose. I know it might be yet-another page but I thought hiking and fitness are mutually beneficial and sharing ideas and motivating others might be more efficient. Please feel free to join : https://www.facebook.com/groups/1778809859062684/

There is a group here on MFP, too. It isn't very active, but obviously a lot of us like hiking, so probably just not active because it isn't known. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/547-hikers-and-backpackers
  • rlpomeroy
    rlpomeroy Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous of the places that many of you can get to. I'm about 2 hours south of the Superior Hiking Trail, So I can't get there as often as I would like. All flatland woods hiking closer to me. It's nice, but not the same.
  • MountainSam
    Options
    Hiked Mt Washington,WAk3ds0qvm0mtg.jpeg
    qa7fqsbffd4a.jpeg
    od8ald7qkx35.jpeg
    fh7i18za49h2.jpeg
    today - burnt ~2500 calories. Great view
  • jessigoct17
    jessigoct17 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow amazing beautiful views !
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I did the Marten Creek trail in the MLH on Saturday. Not recommended. It was a dumpster dive, a mole stroll, a waste of a sunny day. Nothing to see but trees the entire way. The highlight of the trail is a patch of trees planted in 1915 for a heredity study, which look just like all the other trees.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    PNW is indeed awesome. I am beginning to plan for snow hikes. Was just thinking about getting gear for snow and ice.

Download the NWAC app.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    PNW is beautiful for hiking when the weather is good.

The PNW is beautiful for hiking in foul weather, too! :smile:

25084139096_bee73eb056_o_d.jpg

27386482783_32616b882a_o_d.jpg

21678301448_ecfc708908_o_d.jpg
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ed67f4fm6k59.jpeg
    ak2g0xr95nia.jpeg
    saimzzsbsmrp.jpeg
    6vcve0tl9dax.jpeg

San Diego inland and a snake footprint.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    @queenliz99 I misread that as San Diego Island and wondered if the end of the world had started and nobody told me about it...
  • haleylhagin
    haleylhagin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have started trail walking and hiking for fitness as well. It doesn't get much better than the Pacific Northwest!! So far I have only done a handful of hikes around Whatcom County but next year when I'm in better shape and more prepared (gear wise) I would like to start exploring more. It's on my bucket list to do the trail from McAlester Pass to Stehekin.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Going all the way thru the AT starting in Mar
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    So jealous of all the beautiful photos. My husband and I love to hike and enjoy taking vacations where hiking is a main activity. Our favorite is RMNP and hiking to all the different water falls.

Unfortunately, we are just outside of Indianapolis in the land of corn and flat terrain. So hiking is not too exciting for us at home. :/
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm new to hiking and really enjoy it! Loving the Ozarks in the fall right now :smile: