Hiking for fitness

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    @queenliz99 I misread that as San Diego Island and wondered if the end of the world had started and nobody told me about it...

I live far enough inland that when the coast breaks off into the sea I will have beachfront property, ya me!!
  • yogaski83
    yogaski83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love hiking and recently took to trail running. I live in CO, so I'm lucky enough to have trails right in my backyard. I've been adding plyometric strength training workouts (40 min - 4x a week) and yoga to improve my hiking and trail running; which seems to be really helping!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I love hiking and I live in a place where I can be at a great, challenging hike in about 10-30 minutes. This was from my hike, yesterday: Sleeping Giant State Park, CTi61arr43i7hs.jpeg
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I love hiking! I hike mostly for the scenery and challenge, not for the fitness. However, it's pretty awesome to re-hike mountains that I struggled with and then fly up them the next time. I am blessed enough to live in New Hampshire, about an 1hour+ to the White Mountains. My profile picture is me atop Mount Monadnock which is supposedly, the most summited mountain in the US. Interestingly, here hikers are financially responsible for SAR efforts if they are unprepared, i.e, no headlamp, wearing flip flops, no water, ect., but we can purchase a NH Hike Safe Card for $50 to be sure that rescue is free if needed. We have a lot of unprepared hikers try to summit Mount Washington...the weather up there is ALWAYS unpredictable!

Feel free to add me! I try to hike a big one every weekend, and the smaller ones a couple of times a week. This year, I am hoping to do some winter hiking.
  • cnh1104
    cnh1104 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think I've found my home in this thread!

I just recently took an interest in hiking... or an active one, at least. I've always been intrigued but have lacked the courage to just get the hell out there and hike. I've been fairly overweight for the last 8 years or so, which has kept me from doing lots of things I want to do. But recently I decided I was sick of skipping out on things I want to do, so I've changed my diet, am actively losing weight, and am setting foot out there to see what I've been missing.

I live in South Carolina so it's miserably hot for a solid 9 months out of the year. I haven't had enough time away from work yet this year to go find an amazing trail to hike, but I make a point to spend a few hours each weekend exploring. Having recently adopted a walker hound helps- she loves adventures more than I do. :)d64p6er0tuaj.jpg

Anyway, my boyfriend and I have a cabin reserved for the first week of November in Maggie Valley, NC and will be taking our pup to go for a hike in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. I'll be sure to take lots of photos and share them in this thread. I could spend hours looking at the photos you guys have already shared!

Happy hiking.
  • MountainSam
    MountainSam Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    PNW is indeed awesome. I am beginning to plan for snow hikes. Was just thinking about getting gear for snow and ice.

Download the NWAC app.

Thanks again @NorthCascades
  • MountainSam
    Options
    It was raining today. I decided to go for an easy trail, and went to Redmond Preserve. There is something magical about the sound and feel of rain in a forest. It was as close as one can get to perfect mindful living. The out and back walk of ~11 miles was so worth it.

Total calories burnt: ~ 1800

8tx9z3hvhx9v.jpeg
    v72oelaqh4i5.jpeg

#cantstophiking
  • smsquash
    smsquash Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love the outdoors and being outside. I've hiked, backpacked and camped most of my adult life. Had a medical emergency in early 2015 that led to major emergency back surgery, and have some nerve damage, minor paralysis and balance issues since then that have really set me back. Luckily we live rurally in Vermont and just need to step out the front door to be in the mountains and forests, so that does help keep my spirits up.

Anyway after nearly a year and a half of physical therapy, I'm starting to hike again. Have to use trekking poles now because my balance is no good, but it's like a compulsion to get back out there. I have a six year old daughter so we keep our hikes to 5 miles or less still, but that's worked for me since my spinal injury anyway.

I snowshoe, cross-country ski and dogsled in the winter too, and enjoy paddling and back country swimming during the warmer months as well.

I'm 42 now, have really slowed since my injury (and really, even before). I used to live and work immersed in nature 24/7 (I've been an outdoor educator, a park ranger and interpretive naturalist, and I owned and operated a dog sled touring and winter guide service biz when I was younger). After ten years of desk jobs and the sickness and injuries as a result of that, I'm changing my life again and trying to get back to a more active, outdoor lifestyle.

I would love to find outdoorsy friends on MFP.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The seasons are changing here in Montana. Although autumn is going to make for some breathtaking hiking, I'll probably have to move indoors for winter. Boooo. :(
  • MountainSam
    Options
    smsquash wrote: »
    I love the outdoors and being outside. I've hiked, backpacked and camped most of my adult life. Had a medical emergency in early 2015 that led to major emergency back surgery, and have some nerve damage, minor paralysis and balance issues since then that have really set me back. Luckily we live rurally in Vermont and just need to step out the front door to be in the mountains and forests, so that does help keep my spirits up.

Anyway after nearly a year and a half of physical therapy, I'm starting to hike again. Have to use trekking poles now because my balance is no good, but it's like a compulsion to get back out there. I have a six year old daughter so we keep our hikes to 5 miles or less still, but that's worked for me since my spinal injury anyway.

I snowshoe, cross-country ski and dogsled in the winter too, and enjoy paddling and back country swimming during the warmer months as well.

I'm 42 now, have really slowed since my injury (and really, even before). I used to live and work immersed in nature 24/7 (I've been an outdoor educator, a park ranger and interpretive naturalist, and I owned and operated a dog sled touring and winter guide service biz when I was younger). After ten years of desk jobs and the sickness and injuries as a result of that, I'm changing my life again and trying to get back to a more active, outdoor lifestyle.

I would love to find outdoorsy friends on MFP.

It sometimes surprises (but it shouldn't) to see how many heroes live amongst us. Folks who overcome impossible and difficult situations. More power to you, @smsquash. I look forward to seeing you ever-stronger strides into the world that your heart truly follows.

• MountainSam
    Options
    Acidique wrote: »
    The seasons are changing here in Montana. Although autumn is going to make for some breathtaking hiking, I'll probably have to move indoors for winter. Boooo. :(

I was thinking the same way about the winters but a couple of discussions (one here on MFP infact) made me change my mind: I am going to get snow-shoes and a very-warm jacket :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same way about the winters but a couple of discussions (one here on MFP infact) made me change my mind: I am going to get snow-shoes and a very-warm jacket :)

I made a mistake once in the Tetons of going up in late May. The snow that remained was very soft because it was melting... I ended up losing the trail in the snow and following the footprints from the last person who lost the trail. Except between when that person went through and when I did, the snow got even softer. I ended up post-holing in snow up to my shoulders... after struggling to climb out of a self-made hole in the snow, I would only get a few feet before falling through again. After doing this for a little while, I decided to start "walking" on my shins (i.e. crawling) in order to distribute my weight over a larger surface area just like snow-shoes. I made it back to the trail, but it was not an ideal situation.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Indoors for winter? Surely you aren't going to let an old lady from Bozeman outdo you all winter! My only rule is I don't hike or snowshoe when it's below 0, I don't want my dog's feet to get frost bit. I don't downhill ski when it's colder than -15. You are right though, fall hiking is just getting good. Wait, maybe you meant that you are actually moving indoors as opposed to living in a tent. ;)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    It's starting.

This one is from last year:

21866142835_bab86dd2ae_o_d.jpg
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »
    I'm actually quite scared to go hiking again. Falling and getting rescued was a traumatic experience got me. Any advice to get over the fear?

I fell (not while hiking - just walking down a friend's front path of her suburban house!) and broke my ankle pretty badly a year ago (and even that took hours for the emergency services to respond to, so I hate to think what you went through), and the mental damage is so real! I wasn't doing anything risky or stupid, so how the heck am I meant to avoid that in the future?!?!

For a long time I could barely face walking down the road or anywhere at all. I was terrified to go walking by myself! And of course my strength was gone and so was my balance! Not to mention the limited movement in the ankle joint making slopes or uneven ground (just a few pebbles on the path) uncomfortable and awkward.

It's been a slow process and I still have been sticking close to home and on tracks I know there will be plenty of people and reasonably easy access. I started off with a group walk around a nature reserve which was mostly paved road, some smooth dirt paths and once small section of hilly uneven ground - and at the time it was a challenge.

I don't know what to say other than small steps and patience. The more I do and the more I recover (which has taken far longer than I ever imagined) the more my confidence grows.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    PSA: Costco has 70 % merino wool socks, 4 pairs for $12.

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Men’s-Trail-Sock-4-Pair,-Black-and-Blue.product.100235832.html

I've paid more than that for 1 pair of wool socks. Haven't worn the Costco ones so I can't comment on fit or quality. But wool socks are among a hiker's best friends, especially in the PNW, and especially in winter.
  • Rocknut53
    Options
    PSA: Costco has 70 % merino wool socks, 4 pairs for $12.

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Men’s-Trail-Sock-4-Pair,-Black-and-Blue.product.100235832.html

I've paid more than that for 1 pair of wool socks. Haven't worn the Costco ones so I can't comment on fit or quality. But wool socks are among a hiker's best friends, especially in the PNW, and especially in winter.

I have at least a "billion" pairs of wool socks, all kinds. One can never have enough. I just bought some of the women's merino wool at Costco. They're a little light for winter I think, but I have smart wool, icebreaker, and other brands that are heavier. My favorite for winter hiking are the icebreakers. They last forever and have good cushioning and are a little thicker in the toes giving extra warmth.
  • Rocknut53
    Options

Layers for sure in winter, especially where you live with the higher humidity. When I asked seasoned winter folks how they dress, they told me to start out a little chilly, you'll warm up fast, then be sure to have a layer you can add once you stop or slow down.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Not just layers, but vented layers with at least a half-zip front. I hate getting hot and needing to peel stuff over my head! LOL
  • Rocknut53
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    Not just layers, but vented layers with at least a half-zip front. I hate getting hot and needing to peel stuff over my head! LOL

Good point. I'm rebuilding my wardrobe and didn't realize how much it costs to replace all the awesome outdoorsy stuff I had in XL sizes. Luckily, there's no one in the woods to impress so I'll still use some of that ultra baggy stuff. The upside is I can put lots of layers on, the downside is I look like a little kid dressing up in my mommy's clothes.