Addicted to diet coke.. help :(

Options

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    joolieb1 wrote: »
    I used to drink it every day but gave it up. Withdrawals were horrible, I really wanted one. I sometimes have an occasional Diet Coke but I can feel it getting a grip on me again. I think avoiding junk drinks is better, try switching to something less harmful, maybe a sugar free squash, chilled in the fridge

I think what everyone is trying to point out. . is it isn't harmful. I would only be concerned with my teeth with that amount. And oh look I have a toothbrush. And when all else fails. . .straws ftw.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it every day but gave it up. Withdrawals were horrible, I really wanted one. I sometimes have an occasional Diet Coke but I can feel it getting a grip on me again. I think avoiding junk drinks is better, try switching to something less harmful, maybe a sugar free squash, chilled in the fridge

Sugar free squash (lemonade in the states) is no less "harmful" than Diet Coke.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »

I think what everyone is trying to point out. . is it isn't harmful. I would only be concerned with my teeth with that amount. And oh look I have a toothbrush. And when all else fails. . .straws ftw.

haha I love this answer !
  • DamnRod
    DamnRod Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation...including moderation!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    So today I went to a confectionery and bought a diet coke and the store owner and my dad started giving me a lecture about how its bad for me , causes diabetes , weight gain etc.
    I am kinda worried now as I am literally addicted and love it and its all I drink since I really hate water :( I drink about 4 Litres a day ( I know its a lot ). Anyone has an idea regarding what I can do ?

That works out to nearly 525 mg of caffeine a day (46.5 mg per 12 oz.), about 30% more than the recommended maximum intake of 400 mg for an adult. You need to break the caffeine habit ASAP. Wouldn't advise going cold turkey, as you'll have a horrible headache, fatigue, brain fog, nausea, etc., for days if you do. Start tapering off by half a liter every few days to a week, replacing the Diet Coke with water or other decaf drinks. (How do you even drink that much fluid every day?)

I greatly reduced the amount of cola I drink years ago, replacing it with water, Crystal Light lemonade, half-caf coffee, and the occasional glass of full-fat milk. I might have one caffeine-free carbonated beverage a week now, usually clear (Sprite Zero) or fruit-flavored (Fanta Zero). Cola drinks just don't taste that good to me any more, and the first sip usually gives me hiccups. LOL.
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Crystal Light lemonade

This stuff has seriously helped me with curbing my sweet tooth. Pop a little powder in my drink that adds almost no calories at all and I'm good. I get the sweet taste without the calories.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

That was likely the caffeine you had withdrawals from.

What specifically is harmful about diet soda? In what dosage is it harmful?

What's a sugar free squash? Ok - looked that up. It's not available in the US. But it looks like it is pureed fruit mixed with seltzer water? Is that right? And the sugar free ones, according to Wikipedia:
    'Squashes labelled "no added sugar" are artificially sweetened, usually with aspartame, acesulfame K, saccharin or sucralose, which is much cheaper for the manufacturers than both HFCS and natural sugar. They are very low in calories, sometimes having as few as 4 per 100ml diluted, and they are marketed towards families seeking low calorie alternatives. They tend to be very low in fruit juice, as fruit juice contains natural sugars, so they usually also contain natural or artificial flavourings (isoamyl acetate for pear or banana, or mixed with malic acid to make an apple-like flavour, ethyl methylphenylglycidate for strawberry, octyl acetate for orange, allyl hexanoate for pineapple etc.) to make up for the lack of fruit juice taste.'

Not sure how that is any different than the Diet Soda? Other than missing the caffeine, which again, is likely what gave you the withdrawals, so couldn't you have just switched to caffeine free diet soda?

Its different because it doesn't have the caffeine, which was likely the source of their original issue with it. Caffeine of course DOES have a very real affect on our brains. It also acts as an appetite suppresent and often you see people who are trying to calorie restrict subconsciously drinking more and more coffee or caffeine-filled drinks to compensate for their hunger rather than just eating a more appropriate amount and exercising. It can be dangerous in that regard.
  • Liz6843
    Liz6843 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wean yourself off! I drink carbonated water pretty much exclusively now, but I hated it at first. First find out if you like club soda or seltzer better, because they're definitely different to me, and then add some kind of flavored sugary syrup to it. Then just keep reducing the amount of syrup you use until you don't need any, or like the taste of just a little lemon juice in it or something.
  • becky53012
    becky53012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love me some diet coke too :) but have cut it out mostly, drink a lot of water. I might have a few cans a week. I used to hate water, but I gradually increased it over the past 6 months. Now I crave it! My body doesn't feel good and I feel sluggish and tired if I don't drink it. Also, when I do have soda now, I feel swollen. It doesn't prevent me from indulging though bc I love the sweetness of an ice cold pop. I think like some of the other posts, you could incorporate more water before you have a soda to help cut back. Plus you'll feel more full. Good luck, I know it's not easy, but it's worth it!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

What's a sugar free squash? Ok - looked that up. It's not available in the US. But it looks like it is pureed fruit mixed with seltzer water? Is that right? And the sugar free ones, according to Wikipedia:
    'Squashes labelled "no added sugar" are artificially sweetened, usually with aspartame, acesulfame K, saccharin or sucralose, which is much cheaper for the manufacturers than both HFCS and natural sugar. They are very low in calories, sometimes having as few as 4 per 100ml diluted, and they are marketed towards families seeking low calorie alternatives. They tend to be very low in fruit juice, as fruit juice contains natural sugars, so they usually also contain natural or artificial flavourings (isoamyl acetate for pear or banana, or mixed with malic acid to make an apple-like flavour, ethyl methylphenylglycidate for strawberry, octyl acetate for orange, allyl hexanoate for pineapple etc.) to make up for the lack of fruit juice taste.'

Not sure how that is any different than the Diet Soda? Other than missing the caffeine, which again, is likely what gave you the withdrawals, so couldn't you have just switched to caffeine free diet soda?

Its different because it doesn't have the caffeine, which was likely the source of their original issue with it. Caffeine of course DOES have a very real affect on our brains. It also acts as an appetite suppresent and often you see people who are trying to calorie restrict subconsciously drinking more and more coffee or caffeine-filled drinks to compensate for their hunger rather than just eating a more appropriate amount and exercising. It can be dangerous in that regard.

I was going to make fun of this thread for still going on, and then I read your posts on the previous page. Bravo, should be a sticky.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    So if caffeine is an issue, there is caffeine-free diet coke, as well as any number of other caffeine-free versions of pop.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited August 2016
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

I was going to make fun of this thread for still going on, and then I read your posts on the previous page. Bravo, should be a sticky.

Already had a sticky on the aspartame thing a while back. Just keeps coming up. Sometimes I can't be bothered to comment but now and I again I go off again. Just find it really frustrating.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Being 2 years ago though some of the links are a bit broken now.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Already had a sticky on the aspartame thing a while back. Just keeps coming up. Sometimes I can't be bothered to comment but now and I again I go off again. Just find it really frustrating.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

That thread is one of my go-to favourite resources here. :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

It was front page stickied for like 5 months. While it was though it was rather tiring to try to keep up with the thread as there were a lot of posts and I felt like I needed to respond to them. Beat me down a bit on the topic so I am reluctant to get into it now, but sometimes I still do obviously.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

It was front page stickied for like 5 months. While it was though it was rather tiring to try to keep up with the thread as there were a lot of posts and I felt like I needed to respond to them. Beat me down a bit on the topic so I am reluctant to get into it now, but sometimes I still do obviously.

The sad thing is that you have explained it very clearly both here and in the other thread. Not all people will be able/willing to read it and several won't have the background to understand it. The result is that the big words remain scary and forbidden. I have a long way to go, but the more I understand, the intricacies of the world become more impressive and fascinating. It's the contributions of knowledgeable members, such as yourself, that help that interest grow. It's very easy to fall into believing everything you read, because so much of it is written with just enough plausibility for it to pass.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    So today I went to a confectionery and bought a diet coke and the store owner and my dad started giving me a lecture about how its bad for me , causes diabetes , weight gain etc.
    I am kinda worried now as I am literally addicted and love it and its all I drink since I really hate water :( I drink about 4 Litres a day ( I know its a lot ). Anyone has an idea regarding what I can do ?

This does not cause weight gain. I drink coke zero everyday and I am losing weight. I am not and will not ever give up my coke. Why? Its not like you're smoking a cigarette. Enjoy your diet cokes and quit stressing over it. Its a 0 calorie drink, it cannot cause weight gain.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I wonder if people who don't like plain water just have really crappy water supplies. My water is delicious. T_T

Or they just don't like water.

Well yeah but everything has a reason... like... how can you have a negative view on something that tastes mostly like nothing?? Sure sure, I don't have to be catered to but I mean... it's -water-. Our bodies should crave it. Since going low-carb I increased my water and now even the diet peach tea at the local gas station leaves a no calorie sweetener film on my tongue. o.o Now nothing else satisfies like water.

I guess I don't understand the mindset.

Because everyone is different. Shocking I know. :laugh: