Addicted to diet coke.. help :(

Options

Replies

• timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you would like to cut down on the diet coke how about trying flavored fizzy water? For me it doesn't taste like water that I also hate and I get my bubble fix! Most are no calorie or 2-3 calories per cup but they tend to have less additives than coke and no caffeine . Worth looking at your local supermarket and trying it x
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I'm not one to argue on internet forums, but there is a lot of documentation.

This science paper:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1474447/
    And this piece on safefood, although this group obviously has a point of view:
    http://www.safefood.org.nz/aspartaddict.html
    An FDA paper on aspartame toxicity:
    http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/jan03/012203/02p-0317_emc-000199.txt

And many more. There are also pieces saying it is perfectly safe, so pick your poison. But one thing is sure - giving it up is not going to hurt you.

I saw a lot of articles that say it is not harmful also. It is confusing because studies are inconclusive.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-drinks/artificial-sweeteners/

So if your confused about the Topic @DebSozo then why do continue to give advice? Why not do your own research( from reputable sources not quick Google searches) and educate yourself before trying to advise others?

The subject is confusing because the FDA allows apartame anyhow despite objections. There are scientists who advise against allowing it into our food and drinks. I believe that people should have informed consent and know what they are ingesting. People should be able to discuss their concerns on discussion boards and forums and research for themselves. If after researching they still want to consume it, then that is their choice. I personally want to know the risks so that I can make my own decisions.

If you are injesting aspartame you are injesting a methylester of a dipeptide, specifically a linkage between aspartate and phenylalanine. The peptide linkage between phenylalanine and aspartate will be broken by the myriad of peptidases and the acidic conditions withn your stomach freeing the methylester of phenylalanine plus the amino acid aspartate. The methyl ester will further hydrolyze from the phenylalanine in the acidic conditions of your stomach to free methanol and phenylalanine, another amino acid. At this point, within your stomach, it is no different than if you had eaten a bite of chicken and a sip of orange juice because you'd get the same amount of phenylalanine, aspartate and methanol from those.

If you want to learn more about what that is then biochemistry and molecular biology textbooks and courses are likely available at your local community college. But if you don't know much about the topic and are "confused" by it then you probably shouldn't be giving people advice.

The FDA is not pulling aspartame off the shelves scientific community does not advise at all that aspartame should be removed from our food and drink, you are getting that from what you are reading on the internet without having the education necessary (no offense) to distinguish between what is true and what is not.

I really don't understand you because on the one hand you talk about how confused you are by it and how you don't understand this or that and how you don't know this and don't know that and don't know if and what the safe level is but then you proceed to draw conclusions and then advice people on the basis of your conclusions. If you don't know enough then perhaps don't give advice on the topic. It just adds to the general confusion and mix of misinformation on the internet when people who frankly don't know what they are talking about talk anyways.

aspartame-chemical-structure.png

You can find a full review of the field and topic here which I have offered before to get you the full copy of if you are actually interested

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671
    Awesome posts. Thank you, I never realised that aspartame was aminos.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    If you would like to cut down on the diet coke how about trying flavored fizzy water? For me it doesn't taste like water that I also hate and I get my bubble fix! Most are no calorie or 2-3 calories per cup but they tend to have less additives than coke and no caffeine . Worth looking at your local supermarket and trying it x

Diet coke is fizzy flavoured water. The only difference would be added caffeine.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I'm not one to argue on internet forums, but there is a lot of documentation.

This science paper:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1474447/
    And this piece on safefood, although this group obviously has a point of view:
    http://www.safefood.org.nz/aspartaddict.html
    An FDA paper on aspartame toxicity:
    http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/jan03/012203/02p-0317_emc-000199.txt

And many more. There are also pieces saying it is perfectly safe, so pick your poison. But one thing is sure - giving it up is not going to hurt you.

I saw a lot of articles that say it is not harmful also. It is confusing because studies are inconclusive.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-drinks/artificial-sweeteners/

So if your confused about the Topic @DebSozo then why do continue to give advice? Why not do your own research( from reputable sources not quick Google searches) and educate yourself before trying to advise others?

The subject is confusing because the FDA allows apartame anyhow despite objections. There are scientists who advise against allowing it into our food and drinks. I believe that people should have informed consent and know what they are ingesting. People should be able to discuss their concerns on discussion boards and forums and research for themselves. If after researching they still want to consume it, then that is their choice. I personally want to know the risks so that I can make my own decisions.

If you are injesting aspartame you are injesting a methylester of a dipeptide, specifically a linkage between aspartate and phenylalanine. The peptide linkage between phenylalanine and aspartate will be broken by the myriad of peptidases and the acidic conditions withn your stomach freeing the methylester of phenylalanine plus the amino acid aspartate. The methyl ester will further hydrolyze from the phenylalanine in the acidic conditions of your stomach to free methanol and phenylalanine, another amino acid. At this point, within your stomach, it is no different than if you had eaten a bite of chicken and a sip of orange juice because you'd get the same amount of phenylalanine, aspartate and methanol from those.

If you want to learn more about what that is then biochemistry and molecular biology textbooks and courses are likely available at your local community college. But if you don't know much about the topic and are "confused" by it then you probably shouldn't be giving people advice.

The FDA is not pulling aspartame off the shelves scientific community does not advise at all that aspartame should be removed from our food and drink, you are getting that from what you are reading on the internet without having the education necessary (no offense) to distinguish between what is true and what is not.

I really don't understand you because on the one hand you talk about how confused you are by it and how you don't understand this or that and how you don't know this and don't know that and don't know if and what the safe level is but then you proceed to draw conclusions and then advice people on the basis of your conclusions. If you don't know enough then perhaps don't give advice on the topic. It just adds to the general confusion and mix of misinformation on the internet when people who frankly don't know what they are talking about talk anyways.

aspartame-chemical-structure.png

You can find a full review of the field and topic here which I have offered before to get you the full copy of if you are actually interested

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671
    Awesome posts. Thank you, I never realised that aspartame was aminos.

Yeah its a dipeptide of aspartate and phenylalanine (same as you'd find in any protein) with the phenylalanine modified so that instead of a carboxylic acid terminus it has a methylated ester. Both the peptide bond between the aminos and the ester bond to the methyl group are metabolically labile and will be quickly decomposed.

Thats it...that is literally all there is to it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Diet coke is fizzy flavoured water. The only difference would be added caffeine.

Yeah caffeine definitely has an affect. To the OP I'd say the issue with drinking 4 liters of cola a day is the caffeine really.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm not going to post.

Then I'm not going to believe your claims.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Aaron, I am confused as to WHY there are conflicting scientific studies. I would advise people to read up on the subject. Do you work for Monsanto or have you ever worked for Searle Pharmaceuticals? I'm beginning to wonder.

Curious as to what you are insinuating here? That because @Aaron_K123 had taken the time to patiently explain the actual science behind what you and so many others are "confused" by using his chemistry knowledge... He must be a shill for the large corporations responsible for researching, developing, testing, and making commercially available this product that scientists have been testing for decades and time and again have deemed safe?

That's quite the tactic, when you are unable to make a logical scientific rebuttal, to attempt to throw doubt upon your debate opponent by diminishing his ethics...
    Mentali wrote: »
    You can't say that you want to pay attention to the science and the facts and then accuse the person giving you the science and the facts of being a shill because they don't agree with you...that makes it clear that your priority isn't science or facts, but encouraging a certain agenda that fits with your preconceived notions. Very unscientific.

I agree. @Aaron_K123 has explained it perfectly, along with wonderful black and white with wonderful diagrams.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Never seen a 12 step group for diet coke.

My nephew is spending the next decade in prison for robbery to support his addiction, maybe he should try diet coke when he gets out?
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it every day but gave it up. Withdrawals were horrible, I really wanted one. I sometimes have an occasional Diet Coke but I can feel it getting a grip on me again. I think avoiding junk drinks is better, try switching to something less harmful, maybe a sugar free squash, chilled in the fridge
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Members like @Aaron_K123 should absolutely be applauded for taking their time to explain away all the myths that constantly are spread around here. He took his time to try to explain the real facts on this topic. @Aaron_K123 thank you. Your truly a breathe of fresh air.

It's unfortunate that some still can't grasp the truth. This place would be so much better if people only gave advice on topics they truly understand. It's really doing a disservice to newcomers when people insist on trying to advise others when they themselves have no idea what they are talking about.

Amen
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    joolieb1 wrote: »
    I used to drink it every day but gave it up. Withdrawals were horrible, I really wanted one. I sometimes have an occasional Diet Coke but I can feel it getting a grip on me again. I think avoiding junk drinks is better, try switching to something less harmful, maybe a sugar free squash, chilled in the fridge

What's the actual difference between a sugar free squash and diet coke other than the particular flavor?

Here's one example of sugar free squash: https://www.robinsonssquash.co.uk/