Addicted to diet coke.. help :(

Options

Replies

• mariesilva726
    mariesilva726 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to Coke Zero a 2 liter lasted me a day 1/2. Leading cause of headaches. Just use smaller glasses and alternate 2 waters for every glass of soda you drink.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    "who on this site is not a bit obsessed with the scale?"

Honestly? Quite a few, me included. Scale weight has little to do with your overall health unless you are obese. I'm not obese so I don't care all that much about my scale weight. I do measure it, but if it doesn't go down for a while and I feel better or I've lost an inch around my waist or can do another 5 pushups then I really don't care. From your picture you aren't obese, in fact if that is you you don't even look overweight at all. So I definitely wouldn't obsess over your scale.

Yeah I agree with you .. and yes its me in the picture .. But I cant figure out another way to see whether I've gained/lost weight

My point was unless you are substantially overweight (which you aren't) "weight" isn't so important, its more your fitness level which is going to be more determined by your athletic ability and your tape measurements and percent bodyfat. Weight is "a" measure, not "the" measure by which to gauge your fitness and its only really important if you are overweight.

But i get it that it can be hard to ignore, especially in a culture where weight is such a focus.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It contains aspartame, which causes cancer:
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/aspartame-jordan-day/
    Cancer Proven from Aspartame
    Arguably the most spoken of talk point of many anti-aspartame zealots are the experiments done on rats. *The link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1392232/ provides a ton of information on studies regarding lab testing involving aspartame and rats, yielding inconclusive evidence against popularized theories. Included are a couple just to prove a point:

In 1981, Ishii conducted research dosing aspartame to rats. He used 86 males and 86 females, dosing 0, 1, 2, or 4 g/kg bw/day from weeks 6 to 110 . The statistical variance in bodyweight discrepancy when comparing a rat to a man needs to be taken into account, and dosage would still remain proportionate to the body weight of the subject. The highest dose in this study was 4 grams per kilogram of bodyweight per day. This means that for a 200 pound man (90.909 kilograms) times 4 grams of aspartame per kilo gives you…363.63 grams every single day. One final computation to get back to milligrams so we are on the same playing field as our previous studies: 1000 mg= 1 g, so that gives us 363,363 milligrams of aspartame administered to a 200 pound man. Do you remember what the average consumption of an American is? 5 milligrams per kilogram of bodyweight, so for our example, 455 milligrams. The most interesting part of this would not even be the insanely high dosage of the sweetener, but that there was no increase in the incidence of brain tumors. So at literally 800 times the dose that one would consume on a day to day basis, over the duration of more than two years, there was nothing significant to compare to the control group. Just as a friendly reminder, a can of Diet Coke has 180 milligrams of aspartame.

There were though, some studies that indicate negative effects, cancer incidences, and the like. The thing with those is that they can be easily refuted, based on the sole understanding of dosage. In a popular study used to bash this sweetener, in order for there to be a statistical significance, the dosage of aspartame used was 2,500 mg/kg, which simply is not plausible. At the end of the day, everything is toxic at the right dose. That is like getting a study published when 50 subjects aged 30-40 received a dose of 3,000 grams of salt intravenously to see the mortality rate. (Then the headlines on the news would be “Study confirms that salt may lead to an early death.”) Looking over a toxicology report showing the LD50 (essentially the dose that will kill 50% of a given population) it is easy to see that even things you would never think could bring death, can, at the right dose. News reports over the years show people overdosing on water and drugs but anything can be deadly, in the right amount. Caffeine being roughly 200 mg/kg of bodyweight and Vitamin D being 10 mg/kg. The dosage makes the poison.

The bottom line is that there is simply not enough evidence to prove aspartame as carcinogenic over not, and even those that have even the slightest hint in their desired direction are easily picked apart and dissected down to nothing.

So, to sum this up, I figured it might be a little easier to relate all this back to the main point, our safety as consumers.

Oranges cause cancer in rats, too. Male rats, specifically. Should we avoid oranges?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »
    healthy491 wrote: »
    So today I went to a confectionery and bought a diet coke and the store owner and my dad started giving me a lecture about how its bad for me , causes diabetes , weight gain etc.
    I am kinda worried now as I am literally addicted and love it and its all I drink since I really hate water :( I drink about 4 Litres a day ( I know its a lot ). Anyone has an idea regarding what I can do ?

Coke of all kinds is about as acidic than battery acid (I learned that in a science class). You can use it to clean rust off your car.

http://www.livescience.com/7198-acids-popular-sodas-erode-tooth-enamel.html

Don't tell yourself that you hate water -- give yourself a more positive message. Become a water freak. Put chilled bottles of water in your fridge. Try water with a slice of lemon or lime over ice. Buy yourself a gorgeous water bottle and carry it everywhere.

Um, not, it's not.

If you spill coke on your hand, you can lick it off. If you spill battery acid on your hand, skin starts dissolving. The molar content is vastly different.

I can vouch for this. I was being driven in my dad's car by my sister and I was holding hot coffee, so I grabbed a towel off the floor to insulate my legs and hands against it. I wound up with a nasty burning rash. My dad said "duh, that towel had battery acid on it." and showed me how the towel was falling apart. I have spilled soda on my jeans and went the rest of the day wearing them. I didn't get a rash and my jeans didn't fall apart.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    eire7981 wrote: »
    I am one that agrees that that we need to cut sodas of all varieties if we want to feel good. That being said, I have found that if I go to water with fresh squeezed lemon in it daily I do okay. Doing it that way, I didn't seem to have the headaches and general irritability while leaving my dr. pepper. Some people have said that perhaps it is because the lemon in the water helped to detox and flush my body. I don't know. I just know that I was able to leave my good friend, dr. pepper behind by doing it this way. Overall, I feel much, much better. No scientific evidence, just my own testimonial.

You need to change first sentence to ' I need to cut sodas of all varieties to feel good.'

That may be so - what makes people feel good varies.

But, No, we don't all need to do this.

I, for one, drink diet soda and feel just as good with or without it.
    But since I like the taste and I sometimes want something other than water,I will continue to drink it.

True this. I actually feel worse without diet soda !
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I'm not one to argue on internet forums, but there is a lot of documentation.

This science paper:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1474447/
    And this piece on safefood, although this group obviously has a point of view:
    http://www.safefood.org.nz/aspartaddict.html
    An FDA paper on aspartame toxicity:
    http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/jan03/012203/02p-0317_emc-000199.txt

And many more. There are also pieces saying it is perfectly safe, so pick your poison. But one thing is sure - giving it up is not going to hurt you.

I saw a lot of articles that say it is not harmful also. It is confusing because studies are inconclusive.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-drinks/artificial-sweeteners/

So if your confused about the Topic @DebSozo then why do continue to give advice? Why not do your own research( from reputable sources not quick Google searches) and educate yourself before trying to advise others?

The subject is confusing because the FDA allows apartame anyhow despite objections. There are scientists who advise against allowing it into our food and drinks. I believe that people should have informed consent and know what they are ingesting. People should be able to discuss their concerns on discussion boards and forums and research for themselves. If after researching they still want to consume it, then that is their choice. I personally want to know the risks so that I can make my own decisions.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Aaron, I am confused as to WHY there are conflicting scientific studies. I would advise people to read up on the subject. Do you work for Monsanto or have you ever worked for Searle Pharmaceuticals? I'm beginning to wonder.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Or Pfizer?