Addicted to diet coke.. help :(

Options

Replies

• healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    To answer your question : why dont I like water?
    Well when I was a kid we NEVER drank water at home only Pepsi or Coca Cola or Sprite so I never got used to the taste of water. When I was overweight I switched to flavoured water but it is 30 calories per 1.5L bottle which is quite a lot so I switched to Diet coke.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    doesn't cause weight gain, doesn't cause diabetes, doesn't cause cancer, etc. etc. etc.

The only worry i'd have consuming the amount you're talking about is the damage to your teeth or potential Reflux/Acid symptoms.

is more harmful than regular soda. has many chemicals used as artificial sweetner. i was like you, but w/ diet pepsi. after i quit, i actually lost weight! today i stick w/ la croix. no additives, just bubbles! love all the different flavors, a little more expensive, but at least it is a healthier option.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    It took my husband 3 separate attempts to kick it. If people brush it off like its no big deal, just know that its not in your head. I watched my husband try and fail twice. Its no joke. That stuff is chemically balanced with the caffeine and sugar and who knows what else to make you crave it. BUT I will say, he quit all soda, has been diet soda (and soda free) for years and is very happy he quit. You don't realize the hold it has on you until you stop drinking it! And he says that now that he's done with it, he really doesn't know what he liked about it. He's had a little since then, and other sodas too, and he can't even drink them any more. We don't drink any sweet beverages, so no sweetened coffee/tea, no soda or juice. We do drink seltzer, and we put stuff in our water like fruit and lemon and such. I say go for it, and fight the good fight! You will save a bunch of money without it, and you will feel better for having done it!

Are you aware that the OP is talking about diet Coke or did you miss that tidbit?

it is highly addictive, they definately put something in it to keep you coming back.!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Samanthor wrote: »
    What concerns me isn't the drinking soda, but the lack of water. We need it! If you've never had it regularly your whole life, you probably don't realize what it's like to not be dehydrated, which effects you on both the physical and mental level. I REALLY REALLY think you should try to learn to drink it, even if you start with just a few ounces a day. I think the suggestion above to drink one glass of water for every glass of coke is a good one. I know lots of people flavor their water--maybe you could try that! Or like I said, start with just a few ounces a day and try to work your way up to more. Water is very important to our mental and physical well being--dehydration makes you very crabby--I am urging you to overcome this.

Diet soda is 98% water.

but still all the additives, i agree w/ just some real water sometimes makes you feel so good and can fill you up when hungry!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    I've been drinking diet soda for at least 30 years. Every single day, multiple cans. 30 years of artificial sweetener and I have no negative health problems because of this. I've lost a ton of weight while drinking a 2 liter + a day. There is nothing wrong with it.

if you do a little digging on it you will find all sorts of things about it. i too was an ever day liter. the only way i quit was because i was in the hospital and they would not give it to me. soda will clean your toilet, will clean around your battery cables and many more examples, but i will stop. i drank for the caeffine and to keep from eating. i am not innocent of this, just started to realize their are health hazards. jmo
    healthy491 wrote: »
    daniip_la wrote: »
    That stuff is chemically balanced with the caffeine and sugar and who knows what else to make you crave it.

That makes no sense, whatsoever.

Diet soda doesn't have sugar, and some have caffeine but usually less (per volume) than coffee. Craving something doesn't always mean that it's bad, you might just really like it and want more. I'm craving cabbage right now, most definitely not because it's been modified to make me want more of it.

To the OP, you're going to get a lot of people throwing fake science at you to support their beliefs that diet sodas are bad. While I agree that you might be drinking so much of them that it'll hurt your teeth, they won't make you gain weight. Diet sodas personally help me to keep my calories in check by cutting my craving for sweets.

Thanks so much for answering me :) ! Its like everytime I am convinced that diet soda is fine , someone comes up with an article about how bad it is for me !

well, you know. People can come up with articles talking about how aliens built the pyramids and how Obama is a reptilian who was also born in Africa and is a Muslim.
    truth!

• EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    It took my husband 3 separate attempts to kick it. If people brush it off like its no big deal, just know that its not in your head. I watched my husband try and fail twice. Its no joke. That stuff is chemically balanced with the caffeine and sugar and who knows what else to make you crave it. BUT I will say, he quit all soda, has been diet soda (and soda free) for years and is very happy he quit. You don't realize the hold it has on you until you stop drinking it! And he says that now that he's done with it, he really doesn't know what he liked about it. He's had a little since then, and other sodas too, and he can't even drink them any more. We don't drink any sweet beverages, so no sweetened coffee/tea, no soda or juice. We do drink seltzer, and we put stuff in our water like fruit and lemon and such. I say go for it, and fight the good fight! You will save a bunch of money without it, and you will feel better for having done it!

There is no sugar in diet soda.

just chemical additives.....
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    So today I went to a confectionery and bought a diet coke and the store owner and my dad started giving me a lecture about how its bad for me , causes diabetes , weight gain etc.
    I am kinda worried now as I am literally addicted and love it and its all I drink since I really hate water :( I drink about 4 Litres a day ( I know its a lot ). Anyone has an idea regarding what I can do ?

do your own research.....
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I'm not one to argue on internet forums, but there is a lot of documentation.

This science paper:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1474447/
    And this piece on safefood, although this group obviously has a point of view:
    http://www.safefood.org.nz/aspartaddict.html
    An FDA paper on aspartame toxicity:
    http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/jan03/012203/02p-0317_emc-000199.txt

And many more. There are also pieces saying it is perfectly safe, so pick your poison. But one thing is sure - giving it up is not going to hurt you.

I saw a lot of articles that say it is not harmful also. But only time will tell.

Time has told.... It's fine.

How long has it been now.... 50 years? 60?

51 years ago discovered, 16 years of testing, 35 years ago accepted as a food additive.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

This science paper:

And many more. There are also pieces saying it is perfectly safe, so pick your poison. But one thing is sure - giving it up is not going to hurt you.

I saw a lot of articles that say it is not harmful also. It is confusing because studies are inconclusive.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-drinks/artificial-sweeteners/

Oh! I read the Harvard article wrong. It says, "The health BENEFITS of diet drinks are inconclusive, with research showing mixed findings."

This article is referring to all artificial sweeteners not just the aspartame in a diet Coke.

I do worry about the toxins which are probably being handled well in smaller quantities, but what about any cumulative, long term effects?

Any food source with protein is going to have more of both Phenylanine and aspartic acid. Your body makes far higher amounts of methanol itself than you ingest from aspartame.
    Neither can accumulate as your body quickly metabolizes them.

http://www.andeal.org/topic.cfm?cat=4089
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    The only bad thing I see is how much you drink in a day [4 liters = 1 gallon]. Most people only need a max of 2 liters of fluid in a day. The only other issue is if you're on a phosphorous-restrictive diet, as all dark sodas [including diet coke] are made with phosphoric acid, thus having high amounts of phosphorous.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with diet coke.

However, the reaction of OP's father as written in the OP would definitely explain some of the OP's other threads.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »

This science paper:

I saw a lot of articles that say it is not harmful also. But only time will tell.

Time has told.... It's fine.

How long has it been now.... 50 years? 60?

51 years ago discovered, 16 years of testing, 35 years ago accepted as a food additive.

That's fine and dandy but that's not enough time.

I plan on living to 100-120 yrs old so.....
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    It contains aspartame, which causes cancer:
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/aspartame-jordan-day/
    Cancer Proven from Aspartame
    Arguably the most spoken of talk point of many anti-aspartame zealots are the experiments done on rats. *The link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1392232/ provides a ton of information on studies regarding lab testing involving aspartame and rats, yielding inconclusive evidence against popularized theories. Included are a couple just to prove a point:

In 1981, Ishii conducted research dosing aspartame to rats. He used 86 males and 86 females, dosing 0, 1, 2, or 4 g/kg bw/day from weeks 6 to 110 . The statistical variance in bodyweight discrepancy when comparing a rat to a man needs to be taken into account, and dosage would still remain proportionate to the body weight of the subject. The highest dose in this study was 4 grams per kilogram of bodyweight per day. This means that for a 200 pound man (90.909 kilograms) times 4 grams of aspartame per kilo gives you…363.63 grams every single day. One final computation to get back to milligrams so we are on the same playing field as our previous studies: 1000 mg= 1 g, so that gives us 363,363 milligrams of aspartame administered to a 200 pound man. Do you remember what the average consumption of an American is? 5 milligrams per kilogram of bodyweight, so for our example, 455 milligrams. The most interesting part of this would not even be the insanely high dosage of the sweetener, but that there was no increase in the incidence of brain tumors. So at literally 800 times the dose that one would consume on a day to day basis, over the duration of more than two years, there was nothing significant to compare to the control group. Just as a friendly reminder, a can of Diet Coke has 180 milligrams of aspartame.

There were though, some studies that indicate negative effects, cancer incidences, and the like. The thing with those is that they can be easily refuted, based on the sole understanding of dosage. In a popular study used to bash this sweetener, in order for there to be a statistical significance, the dosage of aspartame used was 2,500 mg/kg, which simply is not plausible. At the end of the day, everything is toxic at the right dose. That is like getting a study published when 50 subjects aged 30-40 received a dose of 3,000 grams of salt intravenously to see the mortality rate. (Then the headlines on the news would be “Study confirms that salt may lead to an early death.”) Looking over a toxicology report showing the LD50 (essentially the dose that will kill 50% of a given population) it is easy to see that even things you would never think could bring death, can, at the right dose. News reports over the years show people overdosing on water and drugs but anything can be deadly, in the right amount. Caffeine being roughly 200 mg/kg of bodyweight and Vitamin D being 10 mg/kg. The dosage makes the poison.

The bottom line is that there is simply not enough evidence to prove aspartame as carcinogenic over not, and even those that have even the slightest hint in their desired direction are easily picked apart and dissected down to nothing.

So, to sum this up, I figured it might be a little easier to relate all this back to the main point, our safety as consumers.

Nope, aspartame does not "cause" cancer as far as we know right now. And even if it does, it's too soon to tell if aspartame has any negative effects on humans (it took smoking decades to be found harmful). There may be some studies to suggest that there *may* be a relationship, but the research on this is largely inconclusive. Plus, don't use the word "cause" when talking about scientific research (like X causes Y). A significant relationship may have been found, but it cannot be determined that X is absolutely 100% the cause of Y.

Sorry, but we have studied these sweeteners for over 30 years now.

From its creation in the 1960's to its approval by the FDA in 1981 aspartame has been repeatedly proven safe for consumption.

In addition to countless AMERICAN peer reviewed studies on its safety it has been studied by numerous OTHER countries all over the world who have concluded the same exact thing.

Sorry guys, when its repeatedly proven safe all over the world for years and years and years you've got to give this nonsense up.

Sounds like arguing by sticking your fingers in your ears.
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/aspartame-jordan-day/
    ^collects all the evidence.

The following is from the article with "muscle" in the address. I don't know if YOU have read it all the way through. It says:
    Artificial Sweeteners as a Replacement

I’m sure you are thinking, “Are you saying to drink a two-liter of Diet Coke every day?”

Of course not, but based on the research I can say I do not feel that it is unsafe to do so. Moderation is key and too much of anything will cause unwanted effects.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I wonder if people who don't like plain water just have really crappy water supplies. My water is delicious. T_T

Or they just don't like water.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

Are you aware that the OP is talking about diet Coke or did you miss that tidbit?

it is highly addictive, they definately put something in it to keep you coming back.!

No, it isn't and no they don't. Making things up doesn't make it fact.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with diet coke.

However, the reaction of OP's father as written in the OP would definitely explain some of the OP's other threads.

What do you mean?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    So today I went to a confectionery and bought a diet coke and the store owner and my dad started giving me a lecture about how its bad for me , causes diabetes , weight gain etc.
    I am kinda worried now as I am literally addicted and love it and its all I drink since I really hate water :( I drink about 4 Litres a day ( I know its a lot ). Anyone has an idea regarding what I can do ?

I'm late to the game, so I'm sure you've heard by now that diet coke does not make you gain weight, causes diabetes, and is bad for you. Well, they are right, except I'm sure the drinking it to excess is not so good for a person because, well, it's in excess, and nothing in excess is good for you.

That said, I loved my diet coke for years, then my Zevia, but had to give up all carbonated drinks because they exacerbate my gastritis and GERD.

As for water-i you don't like it plain, why not add some flavoring to it? Or make tea?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out why a store owner would sell Diet Coke and then give a lecture to someone who buys one. :|

This is a really good catch. :)