Why are people so negative regarding clean eating?

Options
I've been getting discouraged when I see such negativity on the boards, not just to clean eating but any other eating plan someone doesn't agree with. Everyone is different, and everyone loses weight different ways. One way doesn't work for everyone. Maybe you can lose weight eating poptarts and cake, and I'm sure I could too but I choose not to because I would feel sluggish, lethargic and sick all the time. With clean eating I feel more energetic, less brain fog, I am HAPPIER (And considering I suffer from depression and anxiety, this is awesome) so not everyone is eating clean to lose weight. People seem to forget that.

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Because people on this board love being polarized and also love making blanket assumptions.
  • babyangelica2010
    babyangelica2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    And I do understand that everyone has different opinions and will express them, I just don't understand the need for rudeness, negativity and the need to put down another person's attempt to get healthy.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Because there is no such thing as "clean" eating.

*dons flame proof hat*
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Is today groundhog day?
  • babyangelica2010
    Options
    Ray's Wife: This is your opinion, and I;d love to know why you think that.
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think it's the anonymity. People feel they can say anything because they can't/won't be held accountable.

I'm new to clean eating, we are making slow changes to get there. Mostly, I'm realizing that being healthy is about so much more than the number on the scale.

Sending all kinds of positive energy your way. :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    No one cares if you eat clean. People only care when clean eaters insist it's the only way, tell us we're going to get cancer, tell us our insides are awful, roam unsolicited into others diaries and send them jerk face PMs, and attribute their weight loss to clean eating, as opposed to a calorie deficit.

If you wanna eat clean do it. That's great. I eat mostly clean as well. Just don't show up demonizing other foods/styles because if you do that people will let you know that you're wrong, and they'll bring facts and studies and evidence.

Edit: Not that you're wrong for eating clean, but if you try to claim it's better or the only way or that everyone else is killing themselves/full of toxins/inviting cancer into their body...then you're wrong.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    re clean eating, it's probably because we've all had it shoved down our throats by people at some stage. To each their own, but for some reason some who subscribe to clean eating seem to feel superior and like to tell people how much better their way is.. . in my experience
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I've been getting discouraged when I see such negativity on the boards, not just to clean eating but any other eating plan someone doesn't agree with. Everyone is different, and everyone loses weight different ways. One way doesn't work for everyone. Maybe you can lose weight eating poptarts and cake, and I'm sure I could too but I choose not to because I would feel sluggish, lethargic and sick all the time. With clean eating I feel more energetic, less brain fog, I am HAPPIER (And considering I suffer from depression and anxiety, this is awesome) so not everyone is eating clean to lose weight. People seem to forget that.

I have only been here a few days and have noticed a lot of negativity on this subject. Seems there is a handful of people that just can't stand to hear about how others eat without the need to argue. Glad you are feeling better. :)
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    Both sides shove **** down the other sides' throats and it's just a perpetual battle of stupidity.
  • violenceandlace
    Options
    No one cares if you eat clean. People only care when clean eaters insist it's the only way, tell us we're going to get cancer, tell us our insides are awful, roam unsolicited into others diaries and send them jerk face PMs, and attribute their weight loss to clean eating, as opposed to a calorie deficit.

If you wanna eat clean do it. That's great. I eat mostly clean as well. Just don't show up demonizing other foods/styles because if you do that people will let you know that you're wrong, and they'll bring facts and studies and evidence.

This. "Clean eaters" can be just as preachy as vegans and they all drive me nuts.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

This. "Clean eaters" can be just as preachy as vegans and they all drive me nuts.

In my seriously unbiased opinion based on what I read here on these forums, clean eaters get attacked more often than the other way around.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Both sides shove **** down the other sides' throats and it's just a perpetual battle of stupidity.

What do those who don't eat clean shove downs people's throats, exactly? No one has ever said 'don't eat clean' but rather 'you don't have to eat clean'/'clean eating doesn't exist cause no foods are dirty/bad'. No one wants clean eaters to change or subscribe to a different diet.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Is today groundhog day?

tumblr_lysfje4FQ31qdov6yo1_400.gif

I was wondering the same thing.
  • babyangelica2010
    Options
    Gryfonclaw...I totally agree. It isn't just clean eaters shoving it down everyones throat. I can't count them number of times I have seen someone bash another person because they are avoiding things they love to eat saying "just eat it, you'll still lose weight if you are at a deficit" and are generally rude about it. Like I said it's not always about losing weight.
  • babyangelica2010
    Options

What do those who don't eat clean shove downs people's throats, exactly? No one has ever said 'don't eat clean' but rather 'you don't have to eat clean'/'clean eating doesn't exist cause no foods are dirty/bad'. No one wants clean eaters to change or subscribe to a different diet.

I disagree. I have seen it a lot.
  • trudijoy
    Options

totally agree with chelledbrown. I detest the terms 'clean eating' and 'real eating' anyway, but those of us who have balanced diets to include modern foods that we enjoy don't sit there going 'YOU MUST DRINK DIET SODA or whatever.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    One way doesn't work for everyone. Maybe you can lose weight eating poptarts and cake, and I'm sure I could too but I choose not to because I would feel sluggish, lethargic and sick all the time.
    I can't tell what you mean here. It's either
    A- you intend to never ever ever ever ever eat a single item of cake, pop tarts, or other sweet or "junk" food ever again as long as you live.

Or

B- you think that other people here advocate eating a diet consisting exclusively of pop tarts and cake as a weight loss plan.

Or

C- eating an occasional piece of cake or pop tart will leave you feeling sick and lethargic all the time.

Can you explain which one of these it is?

(Edited to add option C.)
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I've been on the forums for probably two weeks and I've learned one thing:

Everyone on these forums is rude and nasty about everything. They often have legitimate points, but usually say them in the meanest way possible.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    Gryfonclaw...I totally agree. It isn't just clean eaters shoving it down everyones throat. I can't count them number of times I have seen someone bash another person because they are avoiding things they love to eat saying "just eat it, you'll still lose weight if you are at a deficit" and are generally rude about it. Like I said it's not always about losing weight.

I will never understand someone avoiding something they love. Life is too short.