Why are people so negative regarding clean eating?

Options

Replies

• TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Both sides shove **** down the other sides' throats and it's just a perpetual battle of stupidity.

What do those who don't eat clean shove downs people's throats, exactly? No one has ever said 'don't eat clean' but rather 'you don't have to eat clean'/'clean eating doesn't exist cause no foods are dirty/bad'. No one wants clean eaters to change or subscribe to a different diet.

"No food is bad for you" ... I beg to differ ... trans fats ... enough said ...

That being said, some people do take the whole "eating clean" thing to an orthorexic level, which is totally absurd and dangerous ..

I feel for myself (not pushing anything on anyone) that I perform best when I indgest food that hasn't been chemically altered in a lab ... Yes, cooking and fermenting (mainly refering to wine, I LOVE my wine) do "chemically alter" food to some extent, but I am refering to fake, lab-created foods that contain artificial ingredients (flavorings, additives, preservatives, etc.) ...

Homemade food, made with whole/natural ingredients is going to be better for you than the processed ready to eat (or heat and eat) store bought version.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Here is a good example of what I mean from another thread:
    "I have a much better idea, skip the overpriced, low quality beach body crap and eat sensibly. That entire post was just a bunch of bull**** with absolutely no basis in reality or science."
    In my opinion, this is a clear example of BASHING.

Is beach body even clean eating?

Again, MISSING THE POINT. I am reffering to the negativity towards someone else's attempts to be healthy.

...I thought this was about clean eating.

I'm confused.

No, this post is not just about clean eating. It's people's attitudes.

Oh. Then I have nothing to add.

I'm kind of an *kitten*, in every day life.

Good for you...I'm sure you are a joy to be around.

I'm guessing she really is.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Both sides shove **** down the other sides' throats and it's just a perpetual battle of stupidity.

"perpetual battle of stupidity." :drinker:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    because it's just so dumb....... what would you go without everything you love? You live once......dumb dumb dumb... just have a bit less.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

What do those who don't eat clean shove downs people's throats, exactly? No one has ever said 'don't eat clean' but rather 'you don't have to eat clean'/'clean eating doesn't exist cause no foods are dirty/bad'. No one wants clean eaters to change or subscribe to a different diet.

Well lets just cut out all trans fat!

...wait.

Not that trans fat is good, but it's like basically everything ever. Not sure what you plan to do about it.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    "I have a much better idea, skip the overpriced, low quality beach body crap and eat sensibly. That entire post was just a bunch of bull**** with absolutely no basis in reality or science."

Again, MISSING THE POINT. I am reffering to the negativity towards someone else's attempts to be healthy.

The negativity towards beach body is well warranted. We've had several "coaches" on here promoting their products against forum rules and telling people they have to eat clean or they'll get sick. Then, after scare mongering, they pitch product. It's dishonest and against the rules.

Ok that may be the case but it's not just on that issue I have seen the negativity, it happens whenever someone disagrees with someone's lifestyle, no matter what it is. Just forget for the moment that what I quoted was beachbody...the point was the way it was said.

You can't have debates without disagreement. If that's what you mean by "negativity" then there isn't a solution, or even a problem that needs a solution. I'm not saying that everyone behaves perfectly all the time but there is a difference between disagreeing with reasoning based on logic and science and scare mongering.

There is a difference between disagreeing and being an *kitten* about it.

you mean by name calling?
  • brower47
    Options
    No one cares if you eat clean. People only care when clean eaters insist it's the only way, tell us we're going to get cancer, tell us our insides are awful, roam unsolicited into others diaries and send them jerk face PMs, and attribute their weight loss to clean eating, as opposed to a calorie deficit.

If you wanna eat clean do it. That's great. I eat mostly clean as well. Just don't show up demonizing other foods/styles because if you do that people will let you know that you're wrong, and they'll bring facts and studies and evidence.

This. "Clean eaters" can be just as preachy as vegans and they all drive me nuts.

In my seriously unbiased opinion based on what I read here on these forums, clean eaters get attacked more often than the other way around.

I beg to differ that your opinion is unbiased.

Personally, I have never attacked someone for wanting to eat a diet primarily of whole foods and in fact encourage it. I have however been attacked myself on a number of occasions. What I find offensive is 1) the complete lack of basic facts attributed to 'clean eating' whatever that means anyway 2) the insults I have had because I eat ice cream every day 3) the insinuations from the certain 'clean' eaters who say I will get cancer, metabolic disorders etc due to the fact that I do not eat 'clean' all of the time 4) the hypocrisy as I probably hit more of my micros and eat 'cleaner' than many of them who insult me in the first place 5) the incorrect nutritional information thrown out there (like white rice having no nutrients etc) 6) the insulting use of the terms 'junk' and 'garbage' to processed foods 7) the use of ridiculous examples by people who have no understanding of the context of IIFYM or of a balanced diet.

There are situations where I am not in line with other IIFYM'ers however and I do agree that context is often not applied (e.g. for people who have triggers etc) and pop-tarts and ice cream is pushed a lot, however, the point of the posts (or what the point should be) is often missed as the delivery is not ideal.

That's nice.

I am glad you liked it. I would hate for me taking the time to explain my opinion and viewpoint to be dismissed thoughtlessly. :flowerforyou:

I only return what's been given.

No, she gave you a well thought out treatise to her point.

You gave her, "that's nice".

I'd say you give nothing when you're unwilling or you are unable to deliver a thoughtful response.

I'm not sure which one... oh wait, yes I am.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

That being said, some people do take the whole "eating clean" thing to an orthorexic level, which is totally absurd and dangerous ..

I feel for myself (not pushing anything on anyone) that I perform best when I indgest food that hasn't been chemically altered in a lab ... Yes, cooking does "chemically alter" food to some extent, but I am refering to fake, lab-createed foods that contain artificial ingredients (flavorings, additives, preservatives, etc.) ...

Which is perfectly fine and just prove my point and I do not leave the house in the morning without eating a couple pop tarts and a bagel loaded with peanut butter and honey (because I feel it gives me the energy reserves I need to blast through a 90 minute lifting routine) everyone has there own approach... I still hit all my macro's for the day and enjoy what I like and you do the same.... but I will probably get a PM tonight from someone telling me I should give up the pop tarts and have a bowl of fresh blueberries and a banana cause my choices are going to kill me....
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I feel for myself (not pushing anything on anyone) that I perform best when I indgest food that hasn't been chemically altered in a lab ... Yes, cooking does "chemically alter" food to some extent, but I am refering to fake, lab-createed foods that contain artificial ingredients (flavorings, additives, preservatives, etc.) ...

Which is perfectly fine and just prove my point and I do not leave the house in the morning without eating a couple pop tarts and a bagel loaded with peanut butter and honey (because I feel it gives me the energy reserves I need to blast through a 90 minute lifting routine) everyone has there own approach... I still hit all my macro's for the day and enjoy what I like and you do the same.... but I will probably get a PM tonight from someone telling me I should give up the pop tarts and have a bowl of fresh blueberries and a banana cause my choices are going to kill me....

Because "obviously" you are doing it wrong, despite working with a dietitian and your physician.

[/sarcasm]
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

...I thought this was about clean eating.

I'm confused.

No, this post is not just about clean eating. It's people's attitudes.
    Oh, well in that case, too bad. You don't get to decide what my attitude is. I also don't like your attitude. I guess that makes us even. :flowerforyou:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

:drinker:

Also it probably would kill you...have you tried to fuel yourself with blueberries? I've tried on a hike and ate a few buckets worth and I was starved.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

I feel for myself (not pushing anything on anyone) that I perform best when I indgest food that hasn't been chemically altered in a lab ... Yes, cooking and fermenting (mainly refering to wine, I LOVE my wine) do "chemically alter" food to some extent, but I am refering to fake, lab-created foods that contain artificial ingredients (flavorings, additives, preservatives, etc.) ...

Homemade food, made with whole/natural ingredients is going to be better for you than the processed ready to eat (or heat and eat) store bought version.

Ah see you edited to add that last part in basically telling me I am making bad choices because I add in some ready to eat store bought things....... sneaky sneaky...... lol :flowerforyou:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Also it probably would kill you...have you tried to fuel yourself with blueberries? I've tried on a hike and ate a few buckets worth and I was starved.

Try the chocolate covered ones. Oh, and chocolate covered almonds. And a bottle of wine. All great hiking foods.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I must be the anomaly since I eat clean about 70/30 and I dont preach either way. I figure this: If you've found a way that works for you, Do it. My way works for me. I love eating clean because I know its what my body NEEDS. But I also love eating "crap" now and again because I WANT it and by golly, Imma have it! I have noticed a lot of FOOD NAZIS and EXERCISE NAZIS on MFP and it boils down to this: everyone wants to have ALL the answers, but the reality is this: There is no ONE WAY to be fit because everyone is different. Yes there are basic formulas that work, but which one works for you on every level (physical, mental, emotional, etc)?? Not to mention as someone else stated: WE ARE NOT ALL HERE FOR THE SAME REASONS. I have a few bulimic friends on here and honestly idc what they eat as long as its food and they keep it down. :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    yet it is titled 'Why are people so negative regarding clean eating'. . .

I think everyone has an opinion about things and some people fail at conveying those respectfully.....
    My opinion is that conveying misinformation that can harm people is completely disrespectful to anyone who reads it.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    No one cares if you eat clean. People only care when clean eaters insist it's the only way, tell us we're going to get cancer, tell us our insides are awful, roam unsolicited into others diaries and send them jerk face PMs, and attribute their weight loss to clean eating, as opposed to a calorie deficit.

If you wanna eat clean do it. That's great. I eat mostly clean as well. Just don't show up demonizing other foods/styles because if you do that people will let you know that you're wrong, and they'll bring facts and studies and evidence.

This. "Clean eaters" can be just as preachy as vegans and they all drive me nuts.

In my seriously unbiased opinion based on what I read here on these forums, clean eaters get attacked more often than the other way around.

I beg to differ that your opinion is unbiased.

Personally, I have never attacked someone for wanting to eat a diet primarily of whole foods and in fact encourage it. I have however been attacked myself on a number of occasions. What I find offensive is 1) the complete lack of basic facts attributed to 'clean eating' whatever that means anyway 2) the insults I have had because I eat ice cream every day 3) the insinuations from the certain 'clean' eaters who say I will get cancer, metabolic disorders etc due to the fact that I do not eat 'clean' all of the time 4) the hypocrisy as I probably hit more of my micros and eat 'cleaner' than many of them who insult me in the first place 5) the incorrect nutritional information thrown out there (like white rice having no nutrients etc) 6) the insulting use of the terms 'junk' and 'garbage' to processed foods 7) the use of ridiculous examples by people who have no understanding of the context of IIFYM or of a balanced diet.

There are situations where I am not in line with other IIFYM'ers however and I do agree that context is often not applied (e.g. for people who have triggers etc) and pop-tarts and ice cream is pushed a lot, however, the point of the posts (or what the point should be) is often missed as the delivery is not ideal.

That's nice.

I am glad you liked it. I would hate for me taking the time to explain my opinion and viewpoint to be dismissed thoughtlessly. :flowerforyou:

I only return what's been given.

No, she gave you a well thought out treatise to her point.

You gave her, "that's nice".

I'd say you give nothing when you're unwilling or you are unable to deliver a thoughtful response.

I'm not sure which one... oh wait, yes I am.

Wow talk about missing a point...
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because some of us are tired of being told that we are "poisoning" ourselves by a bunch of sanctimonious a$$hats when we eat an occasional Lean Cuisine for lunch, that's why.

OR, its because a large proportion of the so-called "clean eaters" on this site still consume processed foods as part of their diets yet maintain their hypocritical stance.

Then again, it could be the misguided assumption by the "clean eating" crowd that all the rest of us do is blithely shove whatever we want down our gullets in some hedonistic ritual to appease the Fast Food Gods, and we would never, EVER consume anything even remotely healthy.

I have no problem whatsoever with clean eating -- to each their own -- but try to force your views on me by telling me that I'm an ignoramus who has no concept of what is healthy and that I will die an early and horrible slow death by "poisoning" myself?

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out....
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Because most people don't have self discipline!!! And just because a person looses weight or are skinny don't make them healthy!!! Good for you for having self discipline and being healthy!!!

Are you insinuating that I do not have good self discipline because I do not eat clean?

Are you proving one of the points I made earlier?

I don't eat perfect sometimes either, but I am going to give credit where credit is deserved, a person who eats clean a 100% of the time is going to be healthier is all im saying!!
  • brower47
    Options

Try the chocolate covered ones. Oh, and chocolate covered almonds. And a bottle of wine. All great hiking foods.

Do blueberry fig newtons count? Because I love eating those on hikes.
  • brower47
    Options
    Because most people don't have self discipline!!! And just because a person looses weight or are skinny don't make them healthy!!! Good for you for having self discipline and being healthy!!!

Are you insinuating that I do not have good self discipline because I do not eat clean?

Are you proving one of the points I made earlier?

I don't eat perfect sometimes either, but I am going to give credit where credit is deserved, a person who eats clean a 100% of the time is going to be healthier is all im saying!!

Over-reaching, unsupported, statement is over-reaching and unsupported.

And wrong.