Why are people so negative regarding clean eating?

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I've been on the forums for probably two weeks and I've learned one thing:

Everyone on these forums is rude and nasty about everything. They often have legitimate points, but usually say them in the meanest way possible.
    You haven't been to any wedding-planning forums yet, have you? This place is Disneyland. :laugh:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Again, this is just me personally but I find if I eat whatever I want, I overdo it and binge. If I eat ice cream I just want more and more, I can't keep it below my cal limit. I find clean eating makes it easier. Why bash me for eating clean.

If you have trigger foods then no one is going to bash you. Again, it is the reasoning behind clean eating that is the subject of debate. I personally dislike the term because it doesn't have an agreed meaning and so much time is spent with the back and forth of whether any particular food is clean. I have a similar issue with the term "processed" but it doesn't quite carry the judgmental attitude that "clean" seems to carry.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Both sides shove **** down the other sides' throats and it's just a perpetual battle of stupidity.

What do those who don't eat clean shove downs people's throats, exactly? No one has ever said 'don't eat clean' but rather 'you don't have to eat clean'/'clean eating doesn't exist cause no foods are dirty/bad'. No one wants clean eaters to change or subscribe to a different diet.

I disagree. I have seen it a lot.

What exactly are they shoving down your throat? What concept are they trying to make you believe in/subscribe to/change your ways about? When has someone ever said "Stop Eating Clean!"?

Or do they say "You don't have to eat clean, if you really want XYZ it's okay to have it."? And if it's the latter are those two statements really the same?

I have seen really pushy comments along the lines of "Why not just forget eating clean, and eat what you want at a deficit, there's no such thing as eating clean, eating clean doesn't exist etc." You may not think that is excessive but I do. In my opinion, that is someone trying to subscribe to their diet plan.

Well clean eating is kind of not a real thing (as no foods are dirty, unless you don't wash your foods before cooking. IDK your life) Stating that isn't bashing or trying to bring you down.

If someone told someone else to forget about eating clean it's probably because that clean eater was on the forums whining about how much they miss other food. Teling someone 'Hey, you don't have to cut out Churros" isn't bashing, it's letting them know it's okay to enjoy what they like and that restriction isn't needed.

Most people who follow IIFYM eat fairly clean/healthy/whatever. How else could I hit my macros? I had a home made breakfast burrito, a chicken salad, I'm doing a country boil (shrimp, potatoes, corn, and beef sausage). I dare say a clean eater would be fine eating most of what I've eaten.
  • babyangelica2010
    babyangelica2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Again, this is just me personally but I find if I eat whatever I want, I overdo it and binge. If I eat ice cream I just want more and more, I can't keep it below my cal limit. I find clean eating makes it easier. Why bash me for eating clean.

So ice cream isn't clean? What about Talenti ice cream?

Have you ever looked at an ingredient list for most ice creams? I have never heard of that brand so I can't say.
    I am avoiding dairy at the moment because I may be intolerant so I don't eat ice cream anyways but when I did, I have been known to eat a whole 2L tub in one sitting.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Where has someone bashed you? Citation please.
  • Achrya
    Options
    I think it is because they are too lazy to put as much effort into their eating habits. It is easier to bad mouth what they don't understand :-)

Yeah man, making my menu and tracking my macros (not to mention researching said macros, tweaking those macros, and figuring out what was best for my lifestyle) so that I can hit my goals everyday is totes lazy.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Have you ever looked at an ingredient list for most ice creams? I have never heard of that brand so I can't say.
    I am avoiding dairy at the moment because I may be intolerant so I don't eat ice cream anyways but when I did, I have been known to eat a whole 2L tub in one sitting.

Talenti Double Dark Chocolate - milk, sugar, chocolate, cream, eggs, dextrose, cocoa, vermouth, carob gum, soy lecithin, and vanilla.

These are the ingredients annnnddd???

Also...there are those that make their own as I said. Are you saying their ice cream is dirty too?
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I think it is because they are too lazy to put as much effort into their eating habits. It is easier to bad mouth what they don't understand :-)

Yeah man, making my menu and tracking my macros (not to mention researching said macros, tweaking those macros, and figuring out what was best for my lifestyle) so that I can hit my goals everyday is totes lazy.

I think I love you :laugh:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Gryfonclaw...I totally agree. It isn't just clean eaters shoving it down everyones throat. I can't count them number of times I have seen someone bash another person because they are avoiding things they love to eat saying "just eat it, you'll still lose weight if you are at a deficit" and are generally rude about it. Like I said it's not always about losing weight.

I will never understand someone avoiding something they love. Life is too short.

My life would be even shorter if I didn't grow up and realize I just couldn't eat whatever I wanted anymore, clean OR dirty.

Context? I can't eat seafood, because I'm allergic to it, and I don't eat a lot of garlic because it makes me feel ill. The end.

What the heck context do you need? MEDICAL, duh.

then that's not a choice thing. Its a necessity. Saying 'I love chocolate but I'm going to deprive myself because it's dirty' is the type of thing we are discussing here.

Your 'DUH' tells me everything I need to know about you, by the way. Not worth discussing things with...

Hahahahaha.

No, I just don't want to tell a complete stranger personal medical information.
  • babyangelica2010
    Options

Talenti Double Dark Chocolate - milk, sugar, chocolate, cream, eggs, dextrose, cocoa, vermouth, carob gum, soy lecithin, and vanilla.

Also...there are those that make their own as I said. Are you saying their ice cream is dirty too?

There is no point in argueing about which foods I consider clean or not clean, that's not the point. My point is that it is not necessary to argue with someone about their way of getting healthy when we should be here for support.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Because most people don't have self discipline!!! And just because a person looses weight or are skinny don't make them healthy!!! Good for you for having self discipline and being healthy!!!

^^This statement right here is why 'clean' eaters get attacked on these boards.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

There is no point in argueing about which foods I consider clean or not clean, that's not the point. My point is that it is not necessary to argue with someone about their way of getting healthy when we should be here for support.

If ice cream is a trigger food, then fine. But my issue is saying it is "dirty". You can make ice cream without all those chemicals that would make it "dirty"...so by what you were saying, if it were made clean..then you should be able to eat it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

Also http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1042954-moderation-is-a-basic-life-skill

As far as binging, the first step is probably "don't eat it out of the carton." Measure it out then go sit down and eat. Or only buy the little ones instead of keeping enough to binge on in your freezer. You can learn how to be satisfied with a reasonable serving.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Because most people don't have self discipline!!! And just because a person looses weight or are skinny don't make them healthy!!! Good for you for having self discipline and being healthy!!!

^^This statement right here is why 'clean' eaters get attacked on these boards.

^Exactly.
  • babyangelica2010
    Options
    Here is a good example of what I mean from another thread:
    "I have a much better idea, skip the overpriced, low quality beach body crap and eat sensibly. That entire post was just a bunch of bull**** with absolutely no basis in reality or science."
    In my opinion, this is a clear example of BASHING.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The trouble I have is that sometimes people get advice that is more complicated than it needs to be. I have a fictitious example:

Often, when someone starts dieting, and their goal is to lose weight, it is very common and easy to get confused and to think that they are failing if the scale doesn't behave the way it should. They may start out simple, eating less calories per day and balancing carbs, fat and protein the way that works best for them.
    But after a month the scale hasn't budged. Or the scale has gone down but they are still doubting whether or not they can do this.

So they ask for advice and someone tells then to eat clean. Ok, now they have to figure out those rules. What are the rules???? The answer is "it depends." Also, now they think that a calorie deficit isnt enough. No wonder it wasn' t working and scale showed fluctuations! So, depending on the clean eating "rules" they have, they may or may not enjoy eating that way. So it gets harder to stay on track.

Add to this the plethora of other advice such as eating organic, eating local, eating only "healthy fats", 3 oz of lean protein at one sitting, eating six small meals a day, no "simple carbohydrates" ( which would include fruit by the way), eating foods that are low glycemic, omitting sugar, and on and on and on and dieting can vecome an even more monumental task. That voice that a new dieter hears in their head about how hard it is for them is just getting fed with all this nonsense only to become stronger and more powerful.

And if this person had just kept it simple in the first place, and been reassured that learning about their TDEE and eating at a deficit was working, they would have a better chance at being successful. The irony is that if they had just eaten at a deficit in the first place, this fictitious person would have learned which foods are best to meet their macros and for the most part they would be naturally be "eating clean "by most people's definition.
  • babyangelica2010
    Options

If ice cream is a trigger food, then fine. But my issue is saying it is "dirty". You can make ice cream without all those chemicals that would make it "dirty"...so by what you were saying, if it were made clean..then you should be able to eat it.

Yes.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    No one cares if you eat clean. People only care when clean eaters insist it's the only way, tell us we're going to get cancer, tell us our insides are awful, roam unsolicited into others diaries and send them jerk face PMs, and attribute their weight loss to clean eating, as opposed to a calorie deficit.

If you wanna eat clean do it. That's great. I eat mostly clean as well. Just don't show up demonizing other foods/styles because if you do that people will let you know that you're wrong, and they'll bring facts and studies and evidence.

This. "Clean eaters" can be just as preachy as vegans and they all drive me nuts.

In my seriously unbiased opinion based on what I read here on these forums, clean eaters get attacked more often than the other way around.

I beg to differ that your opinion is unbiased.

Personally, I have never attacked someone for wanting to eat a diet primarily of whole foods and in fact encourage it. I have however been attacked myself on a number of occasions. What I find offensive is 1) the complete lack of basic facts attributed to 'clean eating' whatever that means anyway 2) the insults I have had because I eat ice cream every day 3) the insinuations from the certain 'clean' eaters who say I will get cancer, metabolic disorders etc due to the fact that I do not eat 'clean' all of the time 4) the hypocrisy as I probably hit more of my micros and eat 'cleaner' than many of them who insult me in the first place 5) the incorrect nutritional information thrown out there (like white rice having no nutrients etc) 6) the insulting use of the terms 'junk' and 'garbage' to processed foods 7) the use of ridiculous examples by people who have no understanding of the context of IIFYM or of a balanced diet.

There are situations where I am not in line with other IIFYM'ers however and I do agree that context is often not applied (e.g. for people who have triggers etc) and pop-tarts and ice cream is pushed a lot, however, the point of the posts (or what the point should be) is often missed as the delivery is not ideal.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Yes.

Okay, well lucky you, you don't have to cut out ice cream if you don't want because there are "clean" ice cream you can buy and recipes that tell you how to make your own. yay :D:flowerforyou:
  • Achrya
    Options
    Here is a good example of what I mean from another thread:
    "I have a much better idea, skip the overpriced, low quality beach body crap and eat sensibly. That entire post was just a bunch of bull**** with absolutely no basis in reality or science."
    In my opinion, this is a clear example of BASHING.

Is beach body even clean eating?