Why are people so negative regarding clean eating?

Options

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because some of us are tired of being told that we are "poisoning" ourselves by a bunch of sanctimonious a$$hats when we eat an occasional Lean Cuisine for lunch, that's why.

OR, its because a large proportion of the so-called "clean eaters" on this site still consume processed foods as part of their diets yet maintain their hypocritical stance.

Then again, it could be the misguided assumption by the "clean eating" crowd that all the rest of us do is blithely shove whatever we want down our gullets in some hedonistic ritual to appease the Fast Food Gods, and we would never, EVER consume anything even remotely healthy.

I have no problem whatsoever with clean eating -- to each their own -- but try to force your views on me by telling me that I'm an ignoramus who has no concept of what is healthy and that I will die an early and horrible slow death by "poisoning" myself?

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out....

I like you...... :flowerforyou:
    I like the both of you :tongue:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

however the public forums are public because... you know... they're public. so anyone can make a comment about anything they want.

Preposterous! Next thing you'll be telling me is that different people think different things. Utter nonsense I say! Utterly!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because some of us are tired of being told that we are "poisoning" ourselves by a bunch of sanctimonious a$$hats when we eat an occasional Lean Cuisine for lunch, that's why.

OR, its because a large proportion of the so-called "clean eaters" on this site still consume processed foods as part of their diets yet maintain their hypocritical stance.

Then again, it could be the misguided assumption by the "clean eating" crowd that all the rest of us do is blithely shove whatever we want down our gullets in some hedonistic ritual to appease the Fast Food Gods, and we would never, EVER consume anything even remotely healthy.

I have no problem whatsoever with clean eating -- to each their own -- but try to force your views on me by telling me that I'm an ignoramus who has no concept of what is healthy and that I will die an early and horrible slow death by "poisoning" myself?

:flowerforyou:
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Moderation is in short supply here, both in opinions and with regards to food.
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    dont listen to the bs. men around 10% bf eat mostly clean! of course they treat themselves from time to time. but their cals are so restricted that they cant blow 800 cals on a mcdonalds. unless the are runners and they can eat whatever.

That Jay Cutler eats white rice and rice cakes, and has protein powder, aren't those considered not clean? I don't know what he is if he's a body builder, but he's pretty big and does not eat clean
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

OUt of context, but i do like your hair.
    I'm going to be vain and assume you're talking to me out of the 3 of us since I got my hair done :p

thanks pu
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Really? You haven't spent enough time here. There is the McDonald's crowd. Loud and proud to eat a Big Mac. The "soda" crowd...F you, I lost 300 pounds drinking a 12 a day, the calories in and calories out crowd - eat whatever you want, then binge, opps it is your fault, crowd. And my favorite...the you must be starving yourself, eat more crowd. Yawn...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I just ate 1200 calories of Pop Tarts, ice cream, and Oreos.

If you want to tell me I'm going to get cancer and diabetes and heart disease as a result, keep it to yourself. That's bunk and it's bullying and it's just misinformation.

If you don't want to eat like that then don't. But don't lie to people and telling them eating the kind of food they like is not allowed under penalty of premature death.
  • jayrudq
    Options
    Oh, and for those of you I missed, and there are MANY, my apologies.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Really? You haven't spent enough time here. There is the McDonald's crowd. Loud and proud to eat a Big Mac. The "soda" crowd...F you, I lost 300 pounds drinking a 12 a day, the calories in and calories out crowd - eat whatever you want, then binge, opps it is your fault, crowd. And my favorite...the you must be starving yourself, eat more crowd. Yawn...

Can I be all four? oh oh can I can I?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Just for the record I don't drink 12 diet soda a day only 3 but no worries...... :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Can't tell if bitter or just hangry...
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I've been getting discouraged when I see such negativity on the boards, not just to clean eating but any other eating plan someone doesn't agree with. Everyone is different, and everyone loses weight different ways. One way doesn't work for everyone. Maybe you can lose weight eating poptarts and cake, and I'm sure I could too but I choose not to because I would feel sluggish, lethargic and sick all the time. With clean eating I feel more energetic, less brain fog, I am HAPPIER (And considering I suffer from depression and anxiety, this is awesome) so not everyone is eating clean to lose weight. People seem to forget that.

Dear Baby Angelica,

My reason for joining MFP is so that i can be more aware of eating healthier and i was hoping to bring myself up to having 5 servings of vegetables each day. I would also like to lose 5 or 6 pounds, my current weight is 120. .....i am writing all of this to tell you that you should see/ read the unsolicited advice i get here. From one person to the next, we are all very, very different...our educational levels differ, our ages, some of us have never ever consumed enough food to make us " overweight".

So eat clean, feel better, you know your own body!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I didn't have an issue with "clean" as it has been discussed on this board until a day I got attacked. I went in a thread a couple months ago and said something along the lines that I eat a nutrition dense diet with occasional treats if I meet my macros and micros. I got a PM from a clean eating preacher saying I deserved cancer because I was polluting myself. I've been called names, been called a bully, and for what? Posting a pop tart joke and some pics of a bodybuilder eating donuts. Oh and calling out someone for body shaming people who don't eat clean.

Backstory, in the two years before my cancer diagnosis I was a "clean eater" that drove my family nuts with it. I threw out all food that I deemed evil, my kids had ever had a potato chip or sweetened cereal ever. I still got sick. When I started chemo, the doc changed my diet. More grain carbs, fewer veggies. More meats. Less fish and no sushi or mollusks. No grapefruit or beets. I was told to keep sodium up and eat kid foods to fight nausea. It was exactly the opposite of what I would have thought.

I still eat what clean eaters would say is a mostly clean diet, but I do IIFYM and meet my micros almost every day. I have cheat days like today. I have a low body fat, lift weights, have shinier hair than ever, and my oncologist calls me his favorite success story. But I still get told here I'm signing my death warrant.
  • jayrudq
    Options

Bitter or HANGRY? Spell much?
    I am actually neither ( Nie- there), I am quite self-satisfied, like so many on this board.
  • jayrudq
    Options
    Sorry, this crap brings out the worst in me. Spelling, who cares?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Bitter or HANGRY? Spell much?
    I am actually neither ( Nie- there), I am quite self-satisfied, like so many on this board.

*sigh*

Yes, in fact I do.

I can even spell big words like "portmanteau".
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options

no_soup_for_you.jpg
  • jayrudq
    Options

no_soup_for_you.jpg

I give! my bad!