Why are people so negative regarding clean eating?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I am beginning to think that dirty eaters are all together way too sensitive. Low blood sugar maybe? Insulin bounce? Or maybe it is the post pop-tart blues (you KNEW someone had to mention Pop Tarts).

yeah you would think the clean eaters would be more upset cause they cant have that junk food LOL if I was part of the dirty eater group I would be like good more pop tarts and grease fired food for me :)

but really I think the dirty eaters just cant stand that we say clean eating it pisses them off, but really all we are saying is that we don't want to make 50 percent of our diet junk food maybe like 90 percent clean and once in a while treat our self's to some fried foods or all types of ingredients foods you cant once I n a long while LOL

Bwah? Who's diet is 50% 'junk' food?

Most IIFYMers I know do 70/30, 80/20 and some even 90/10 at times. (the larger percentage being "clean" in case someone wasn't aware)

Yeah. I wish I could eat 50% 'junk' and still get anywhere near my protein and fat goal. I'm already kinda wishing I'd gone a bit easier on the potatoes today, and those aren't even 'junk'.

Then again they were white potatoes and white carbs are the devil. I think? Not sure if I understand the concept correctly.

I see foods that are grease fried foods, and all kinds of ingredients in them you cant read on the back as junk food , and to me that is dirty eating all other food is fine pretty much go back about 60,70 years how they ate then pretty much before food was starting to be manipulated with all kinds of added stuff

You do realize that margarine was very widely used in the 60 and 70s and it had trans fats in it then. It was also colored to look like butter during that time.

Still not sure what grease fried foods are. Foods were fried with lard a lot back in the 60s and 70s.
  • I am beginning to think that dirty eaters are all together way too sensitive. Low blood sugar maybe? Insulin bounce? Or maybe it is the post pop-tart blues (you KNEW someone had to mention Pop Tarts).

yeah you would think the clean eaters would be more upset cause they cant have that junk food LOL if I was part of the dirty eater group I would be like good more pop tarts and grease fired food for me :)

but really I think the dirty eaters just cant stand that we say clean eating it pisses them off, but really all we are saying is that we don't want to make 50 percent of our diet junk food maybe like 90 percent clean and once in a while treat our self's to some fried foods or all types of ingredients foods you cant once I n a long while LOL

Most IIFYMers I know do 70/30, 80/20 and some even 90/10 at times. (the larger percentage being "clean" in case someone wasn't aware)

Yeah. I wish I could eat 50% 'junk' and still get anywhere near my protein and fat goal. I'm already kinda wishing I'd gone a bit easier on the potatoes today, and those aren't even 'junk'.

Then again they were white potatoes and white carbs are the devil. I think? Not sure if I understand the concept correctly.

I see foods that are grease fried foods, and all kinds of ingredients in them you cant read on the back as junk food , and to me that is dirty eating all other food is fine pretty much go back about 60,70 years how they ate then pretty much before food was starting to be manipulated with all kinds of added stuff

You do realize that margarine was very widely used in the 60 and 70s and it had trans fats in it then. It was also colored to look like butter during that time.

Still not sure what grease fried foods are. Foods were fried with lard a lot back in the 60s and 70s.

you guys have a answer for everything that is why I said before food was starting to be manipulated with added stuff that god knows what it is if you don't know what it is let me help you copy this link and paste it in your address bar ok so you can stop asking :)http://lmgtfy.com/?q=greasy+fried+foods
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    I just wish you (on both teams) realized how you come across to newbies.

I think, after lurking, commenting, and reading around both sides that it has become asymptotical. The IIFYM folks shouting from the rooftops about how they eat dirty then defending how they don't eat all dirty all the time and some even say they eat "clean" part of the time.

Then the clean people admitting they sometimes eat dirty after talking so hard about the clean eating they believe in.

Is it just me or are both sides saying similar things?

Everyone claims they just have the best interests of other people at heart - but the fighting, name calling and posturing is not productive.

It's beginning to sound like religious zealots who shout at you on the street. They believe what they believe so strongly that they feel this burning need to share it, but nobody takes them seriously. The end is nigh....

Nobody is perfect - and personally, I don't like perfect people. They make me develop twitches... and use my sailor language.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    I am beginning to think that dirty eaters are all together way too sensitive. Low blood sugar maybe? Insulin bounce? Or maybe it is the post pop-tart blues (you KNEW someone had to mention Pop Tarts).

^ Very true. Canned food, such as potted meat, was also incredibly common. Does anyone still eat Spam anymore except in Hawaii? At least in the U.S. there has been quite a shift since the 1970s into using fresh food and more vegetables and fruits. The California food movement has quite an effect. I think it's hard for many people to understand how much of a change this really represents. All you have to do though is go back and look at a 1960s version of "The Joy of Cooking" to see how many more fresh ingredients are being used.
  • I am beginning to think that dirty eaters are all together way too sensitive. Low blood sugar maybe? Insulin bounce? Or maybe it is the post pop-tart blues (you KNEW someone had to mention Pop Tarts).

^ Very true. Canned food, such as potted meat, was also incredibly common. Does anyone still eat Spam anymore except in Hawaii? At least in the U.S. there has been quite a shift since the 1970s into using fresh food and more vegetables and fruits. The California food movement has quite an effect. I think it's hard for many people to understand how much of a change this really represents. All you have to do though is go back and look at a 1960s version of "The Joy of Cooking" to see how many more fresh ingredients are being used.

before food was starting to be manipulated and I said 60 or 70 yeas ago not the 1970's so more like the 1940's
  • I just wish you (on both teams) realized how you come across to newbies.

I think, after lurking, commenting, and reading around both sides that it has become asymptotical. The IIFYM folks shouting from the rooftops about how they eat dirty then defending how they don't eat all dirty all the time and some even say they eat "clean" part of the time.

Then the clean people admitting they sometimes eat dirty after talking so hard about the clean eating they believe in.

Everyone claims they just have the best interests of other people at heart - but the fighting, name calling and posturing is not productive.

It's beginning to sound like religious zealots who shout at you on the street. They believe what they believe so strongly that they feel this burning need to share it, but nobody takes them seriously. The end is nigh....

Nobody is perfect - and personally, I don't like perfect people. They make me develop twitches... and use my sailor language.

yeas I agree with this just some people just cant let it go right BeachIron
  • BeachIron

^ Your bolded language pretty much gets to the point that many IIFYM folks are trying to make. We all strive for great diets, but we realize that "perfection" isn't attainable, or even a reasonable goal. Instead, we work very hard to eat a good diet but allow ourselves to not sweat over things that matter very little if at all.
  • BeachIron

yeas I agree with this just some people just cant let it go right BeachIron

It's an interesting discussion when carried on at an intellectual level but there are some subtleties that I think are difficult for some people to grasp. I've seen it slowly sink in though with many people.
  • well we all are watching what we are eating and this IIFYM fad will be gone in a few years and it will be something new but if we stick to the principles of not overeating we all will be fine
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    well we all are watching what we are eating and this IIFYM fad will be gone in a few years and it will be something new but if we stick to the principles of not overeating we all will be fine

But. "Not overeating" is basically one of the pillars of 'IIFYM', the other being "Track macros to make sure you're getting proper nutrition'. What's a fad about not over eating and getting proper nutrition?
  • Sarauk2sf
    well we all are watching what we are eating and this IIFYM fad will be gone in a few years and it will be something new but if we stick to the principles of not overeating we all will be fine

lol at fad.
  • Sarauk2sf

you guys have a answer for everything that is why I said before food was starting to be manipulated with added stuff that god knows what it is if you don't know what it is let me help you copy this link and paste it in your address bar ok so you can stop asking :)http://lmgtfy.com/?q=greasy+fried+foods

Oh, you mean deep fried food? Why didn't you just say that. I doubt many people who actually follow IIFYM as it was originally intended eat too much deep fried foods. Hard to hit your macros.

Foods have been manipulated for thousands of years. You need to go back further than a few decades.
  • BeachIron

before food was starting to be manipulated and I said 60 or 70 yeas ago not the 1970's so more like the 1940's

You're off by centuries at a minimum. We certainly have gotten better at it but manipulation of our foods to make them easier to grow and better tasting goes back quite far.

Edit: For starters go back and read a novel called "The Jungle" written in 1906. That started the food safety movement in the U.S. We didn't have an obesity epidemic back then. We had other issues.
  • Sarauk2sf

Basically, yes they are to a large degree.

You're off by centuries at a minimum. We certainly have gotten better at it but manipulation of our foods to make them easier to grow and better tasting goes back quite far.

they were not eating foods back then like the stuff we have now with a ton of added ingredients stuff we don't know what it is in it pick up a box of those junk foods and I bet you cant even pronounce what is in it
  • Too hard not to pop in especially when I see the same common users in here. I agree with much of what everyone is saying, I think both the "clean eaters" and "dirty eaters" are pretty much in agreeance over the same issues. Eat well balanced, get your proper nutrition, splurge in moderation when you need to, be realistic, have a well balanced diet you can stick with long term, stay active, include weight training. I just think this " IIFYM fad" is another diet label. I personally stay away from any and all diets.

All the attacking is a bit out of hand though. If you mention you try to avoid bacon, white rice, or ice cream watch out! I think what the IIFYM crew doesn't realize is just because someone tries to avoid a certain type of food doesn't mean that they never eat it and any user has the right to think a certain type of food is not the healthiest option without getting a barrage of attacks for your difference of opinion.
  • BeachIron

they were not eating foods back then like the stuff we have now with a ton of Additives such as Yellow Nos. 5 and 6, annato or beta carote

And?

That last one is a precursor to vitamin A by the way, at least if you are referring to "beta carotene."
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member

So, I should just stick to Spam (created in the 30's) and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (created in the 20's) and I'm golden, right?

5q3uaJK.jpg

yf8095R.jpg

MMMMM, squeaky clean Spam.

Adding that I try to eat a nutrient dense balanced diet, but I don't consider any foods "dirty". Unless I want to feel naughty eating it, that is.
  • Too hard not to pop in especially when I see the same common users in here. I agree with much of what everyone is saying, I think both the "clean eaters" and "dirty eaters" are pretty much in agreeance over the same issues. Eat well balanced, get your proper nutrition, splurge in moderation when you need to, be realistic, have a well balanced diet you can stick with long term, stay active, include weight training. I just think this " IIFYM fad" is another diet label. I personally stay away from any and all diets.

All the attacking is a bit out of hand though. If you mention you try to avoid bacon, white rice, or ice cream watch out! I think what the IIFYM crew doesn't realize is just because someone tries to avoid a certain type of food doesn't mean that they never eat it and any user has the right to think a certain type of food is not the healthiest option without getting a barrage of attacks for your difference of opinion.

Pretty sure people attack you because they think you're cray and spread blatant nonsense, not because you avoid certain foods.

I avoid poptarts, for example, but as it turns out no one has ever attacked me over it.

Please stop proving my right, its getting tiring /yawn

You have posted some pretty inconsistent assertions. I think I get that you're dealing with clients with little self control and not a lot of motivation. I also get that trying to design a diet for someone who isn't going to exercise much is pretty difficult. My take at least though, is that you're preaching to a group of people (both the clean eaters and the IIFYM folks) that do exercise pretty seriously. Just my take.

Every person is different in these forums and clients I train. I have some that are dedicated and active and they can get away with eating certain foods. Others might need to make some serious changes and making better choices. Healthier substitutions are just ways to help. It shouldn't be shamed because instead of ordering dominos someone decides to make a homemade pizza that is higher in nutrients and lower in calories. Sometimes making better substitutions helps people lose weight and keep it off. All the "I scarf Pizza all the time" users don't need to chime in and freak out over it. No one said to never enjoy a slice of pizza. I've worked with a Registered Dietician for years and a lot of what she does is help people add in tasty substitutions that are healthier and lower calorie for foods they already like so they don't feel deprived. There are far too many approaches out there to just assume that one particular way is the end all be all.

• I see foods that are grease fried foods, and all kinds of ingredients in them you cant read on the back as junk food , and to me that is dirty eating all other food is fine pretty much go back about 60,70 years how they ate then pretty much before food was starting to be manipulated with all kinds of added stuff

So, I should just stick to Spam (created in the 30's) and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (created in the 20's) and I'm golden, right?

5q3uaJK.jpg

yf8095R.jpg

MMMMM, squeaky clean Spam.

as long as the ingredients are ok in it then yes, if you pick up a food and it has about 50 ingredients and stuff you cant pronounce then it is junk I know you guys want to play the gotcha game but it wont work :)