Why are people so negative regarding clean eating?

Replies

• ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    LOL at the people calling IIFYM a fad. Because the basic principles of caloric deficits and proper nutrition via macronutrients is totally a fad. Totally. Also, everyone who espouses IIFYM only eats junk food all the time. Just shoveling those Big Macs down their greasy throats, followed by a cocktail of soda and blended Pop Tarts. Totally logical, guys. Try actually understanding the concept before you call it a fad or a junk food diet.

it is a fad you don't see it that popular except amongst a group of people like Atkins diet which was pretty popular for a while

But clean eating is not a fad? I can't imagine a more complex, difficult to follow, and expensive way of eating.

yeah it has been around since the begging of time the food you advocate has been around not that long pop tarts came out in 1985

You're so hung up on poptarts.

I do IIFYM. I don't eat poptarts. Poptarts are not connected to IIFYM

Apparently you cannot possibly be doing IIFYM if you do not eat pop tarts. It is a requisite of IIFYM didntcha know.

yes I do know go google it

Classic failure to understand sarcasm. Made me laugh.

I know what that lady was saying she is just at odds with her own iifym coward

Except no, that's not what she was saying. She was being sarcastic in response to your misguided insistence that Pop Tarts are somehow inherently related to the principles of IIFYM.

The phrase If It Fits Your Macros (often abbreviated to IIFYM) refers to meeting the individual macronutrient needs relevant to one’s goals and then filling the remaining calories with foods of personal preference. Meaning, eat whatever you want as long as it fits your macros.

What “eat whatever you want as long as it fits your macros” means is basically, eat right, but don’t get all caught up in the whole ‘clean vs dirty’ food debate that seems to still go on. If you want to eat whole grain bread, oats, brown rice, etc. etc. Then do it. If you want to eat white bread, white rice, and pop tarts, as long as it fits in with your other macronutrients

Hey, way to use Google to copy and paste an irrelevant answer. Maybe my teacher instincts are buzzing here, but I have a feeling that you were a plagiarizer in school (that is, you are a plagiarizer in school. Now. Because you're obviously a teenager).
  • LOL at the people calling IIFYM a fad. Because the basic principles of caloric deficits and proper nutrition via macronutrients is totally a fad. Totally. Also, everyone who espouses IIFYM only eats junk food all the time. Just shoveling those Big Macs down their greasy throats, followed by a cocktail of soda and blended Pop Tarts. Totally logical, guys. Try actually understanding the concept before you call it a fad or a junk food diet.

it is a fad you don't see it that popular except amongst a group of people like Atkins diet which was pretty popular for a while

But clean eating is not a fad? I can't imagine a more complex, difficult to follow, and expensive way of eating.

yeah it has been around since the begging of time the food you advocate has been around not that long pop tarts came out in 1985

Apparently you cannot possibly be doing IIFYM if you do not eat pop tarts. It is a requisite of IIFYM didntcha know.

Except no, that's not what she was saying. She was being sarcastic in response to your misguided insistence that Pop Tarts are somehow inherently related to the principles of IIFYM.

The phrase If It Fits Your Macros (often abbreviated to IIFYM) refers to meeting the individual macronutrient needs relevant to one’s goals and then filling the remaining calories with foods of personal preference. Meaning, eat whatever you want as long as it fits your macros.

What “eat whatever you want as long as it fits your macros” means is basically, eat right, but don’t get all caught up in the whole ‘clean vs dirty’ food debate that seems to still go on. If you want to eat whole grain bread, oats, brown rice, etc. etc. Then do it. If you want to eat white bread, white rice, and pop tarts, as long as it fits in with your other macronutrients

Hey, way to use Google to copy and paste an irrelevant answer. Maybe my teacher instincts are buzzing here, but I have a feeling that you were a plagiarizer in school (that is, you are a plagiarizer in school. Now. Because you're obviously a teenager).

that was on purpose smart girl just showing you what the definition says for your diet

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=IIFYM
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    LOL at the people calling IIFYM a fad. Because the basic principles of caloric deficits and proper nutrition via macronutrients is totally a fad. Totally. Also, everyone who espouses IIFYM only eats junk food all the time. Just shoveling those Big Macs down their greasy throats, followed by a cocktail of soda and blended Pop Tarts. Totally logical, guys. Try actually understanding the concept before you call it a fad or a junk food diet.

Once I hit my fat and protein I usually have 2-300 calories to kill. Poptarts don't taste good enough to spend my extra calories on.

And this is the only time I will EVER admit that something isn't tasty enough to be worth calories or that I don't spend my calories all mimbly pimply on cake and candy OR that I actually put careful thought into what goes in my mouth. Only time.

I'll eat the hell out of some ice cream or cookies or cake though.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Strong google-fu.

Yet, not quite what it means.
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    There are, no doubt, a small % extremists on BOTH sides of the divide. I'm sure there are people out there who do diet exclusively eating mars bars, deep fried foods and other such 'treats'. Just as there are a number of people who think if you look at a cake your going to get cancer.

However most people fall into the middle ground. People who eat sensibly and allow themselves treats of various sizes 1-several times a week. No one ever died as a result of having a take out once a week after all! And other people, like me, who keep to treat free. Why? Not because of cancer that's for sure. For most people it's about self control or health reasons. For me it's both. I love chips, digestion can't cope with them and I can't just have one bowl, I end up spiralling into having 2-3 bowls a day, so I have none at all. And actually, once the initial withdrawal is through I don't miss them, miss the way they make me feel, or feel remotely deprived.

The problem is people in the middle ground, eating sensibly get caught in the cross fire. It's not very nice when someone tells you your diet is nonsense. Or when people make comments which are wide sweeping and unfair. I'm a vegan and not at all preachy as I saw suggested in a previous comment. I've got a whacking great steak in the fridge to cook my husband for dinner.
  • Sarauk2sf

that was on purpose smart girl just showing you what the definition says for your diet

From Urban Dictionary?

And I still do not see where the advent of the pop tart is related to the advent of IIFYM.
  • LOL at the people calling IIFYM a fad. Because the basic principles of caloric deficits and proper nutrition via macronutrients is totally a fad. Totally. Also, everyone who espouses IIFYM only eats junk food all the time. Just shoveling those Big Macs down their greasy throats, followed by a cocktail of soda and blended Pop Tarts. Totally logical, guys. Try actually understanding the concept before you call it a fad or a junk food diet.

From Urban Dictionary?

do you need another one like Webster dictionary? Sorry the fad has it limits
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member

From Urban Dictionary?

do you need another one like Webster dictionary? Sorry not in that one your diet sorry the fad has it limits

Out of curiosity, where do you go for diet and training advice?
  • Sarauk2sf

From Urban Dictionary?

do you need another one like Webster dictionary? Sorry not in that one your diet sorry the fad has it limits

*sigh*

From Urban Dictionary?

*sigh*

welcome :)
  • ladylego1
    ladylego1 Posts: 56 Member
    If you lurk long enough and actually filter the BS from the whole clean vs dirty debate (i personally now hate both the words in the context of food) there is actually really helpful long term advice. The reason Clean eating gets bashed so much is because of the principles your denying a lot of food groups because they are dirty when there is no clean or dirty food just food thats more nutrient dense.

I came to MFP on the Dukan diet all Protein and a few veggies - this was not long term sustainable for me and I was cutting out a lot of food groups I was losing weight because I had such a high deficit... Yes I felt full and full of energy but it wasn't healthy and didnt teach me about moderation. So I switched.

I went to the MFP 1200 + eating back my calories still following most of the dukan rules about high protein and veg but just more... I started to include what I used to think of as dirty foods but now realised they are just my trigger foods... So now I can eat the magnum chocolate brulle ice cream but in moderation and this is teaching me about a more healthy way of living and a more balanced approached....

Finally last night I switched to the TDEE method after reading a lot of forum posts and IIFYM I will still eat what I suppose you would class as clean food but not because they are clean but because they help me fit my macros have the nutrients that I want and because I enjoy them and they form part of a balanced diet and if that includes the odd chocolate ice-cream, burger along the way then so be it... No I won't be eating pop tarts because i dont like them...

I suppose its about listening and finding out what works for your body and what long term you can eat thats both balanced and maintainable... So I actually thank all the IIFYM group and people who post that have taught me I dont need to deprive myself along the way to a leaner happier me...

Oh and I started lifting :) something I would never have thought to do... So filter the BS among it is some amazing advice if your willing to listen and change
  • ashleyisgreat
    If you lurk long enough and actually filter the BS from the whole clean vs dirty debate (i personally now hate both the words in the context of food) there is actually really helpful long term advice. The reason Clean eating gets bashed so much is because of the principles your denying a lot of food groups because they are dirty when there is no clean or dirty food just food thats more nutrient dense.

I came to MFP on the Dukan diet all Protein and a few veggies - this was not long term sustainable for me and I was cutting out a lot of food groups I was losing weight because I had such a high deficit... Yes I felt full and full of energy but it wasn't healthy and didnt teach me about moderation. So I switched.

I went to the MFP 1200 + eating back my calories still following most of the dukan rules about high protein and veg but just more... I started to include what I used to think of as dirty foods but now realised they are just my trigger foods... So now I can eat the magnum chocolate brulle ice cream but in moderation and this is teaching me about a more healthy way of living and a more balanced approached....

Finally last night I switched to the TDEE method after reading a lot of forum posts and IIFYM I will still eat what I suppose you would class as clean food but not because they are clean but because they help me fit my macros have the nutrients that I want and because I enjoy them and they form part of a balanced diet and if that includes the odd chocolate ice-cream, burger along the way then so be it... No I won't be eating pop tarts because i dont like them...

I suppose its about listening and finding out what works for your body and what long term you can eat thats both balanced and maintainable... So I actually thank all the IIFYM group and people who post that have taught me I dont need to deprive myself along the way to a leaner happier me...

Oh and I started lifting :) something I would never have thought to do... So filter the BS among it is some amazing advice if your willing to listen and change

Same page. I eat lots of whole veggies and fruits, meat and seafood, nuts, berries, etc. I also occasionally drink a soda and eat a burger. I just try to get enough protein, fat, and carbs along the way. It works for me. I would never tell someone to eat like me, but I understand if they do. It needs to be sustainable, and for me that means I include processed foods with added salt, sugars, and chemicals in addition to all of the salads, fresh fruits, and grilled meat that I eat. Moderation is key.
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Clean eating is the whopper I ate that has not been dropped on the floor or a taco that has not been licked by the taco guy
  • Sarauk2sf
    Because there seems to be a lot of ignorance abounding as to what IIFYM actually is (and not the bastardized version people think it is):

'IIFYM started as a phrase from a user named Erik Stevens on bodybuilding.com and quickly caught on and proceeded to cause an uproar of internet stupidity everywhere. It was phrased as a fast way to respond to the overwhelming number of questions about whether or not someone could eat a particular food item without having to worry about getting fat, or not gaining muscle, or (insert other negative effect).

When practicing IIFYM, it is recommended that you choose mostly whole and nutrient dense foods to comprise the majority of your intake. Fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, fish, etc, and at the same time, leaving some room for a discretionary intake. A common and very reasonable recommendation would be about 80/20. That is to say, that if you've got a calorie target of 2500, you'd eat approximately 2000 calories of whole and nutrient dense foods with a calorie bank of 500 to eat whatever you would like while still hitting your calorie and macronutrient targets by end of day ."

Paraphrased from here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

It does not mean ignore micronutrients, fiber, personal dietary choices or satiety.

IIFYM can be applied by 'clean' eaters, vegetarians, paleo peeps, etc, etc, etc.
  • ashleyisgreat
    Because there seems to be a lot of ignorance abounding as to what IIFYM actually is (and not the bastardized version people think it is):

'IIFYM started as a phrase from a user named Erik Stevens on bodybuilding.com and quickly caught on and proceeded to cause an uproar of internet stupidity everywhere. It was phrased as a fast way to respond to the overwhelming number of questions about whether or not someone could eat a particular food item without having to worry about getting fat, or not gaining muscle, or (insert other negative effect).

When practicing IIFYM, it is recommended that you choose mostly whole and nutrient dense foods to comprise the majority of your intake. Fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, fish, etc, and at the same time, leaving some room for a discretionary intake. A common and very reasonable recommendation would be about 80/20. That is to say, that if you've got a calorie target of 2500, you'd eat approximately 2000 calories of whole and nutrient dense foods with a calorie bank of 500 to eat whatever you would like while still hitting your calorie and macronutrient targets by end of day ."

Paraphrased from here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

It does not mean ignore micronutrients, fiber, personal dietary choices or satiety.

IIFYM can be applied by 'clean' eaters, vegetarians, paleo peeps, etc, etc, etc.

Perfect.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Ooh I've never had a pop tart...now i have to out of curiosity!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    No one cares if you eat clean. People only care when clean eaters insist it's the only way, tell us we're going to get cancer, tell us our insides are awful, roam unsolicited into others diaries and send them jerk face PMs, and attribute their weight loss to clean eating, as opposed to a calorie deficit.

If you wanna eat clean do it. That's great. I eat mostly clean as well. Just don't show up demonizing other foods/styles because if you do that people will let you know that you're wrong, and they'll bring facts and studies and evidence.

Edit: Not that you're wrong for eating clean, but if you try to claim it's better or the only way or that everyone else is killing themselves/full of toxins/inviting cancer into their body...then you're wrong.

:drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    :flowerforyou: Hi

I went through a lot of trouble to weed out this thread because it was a 'clean' debate with no 'dirty' fighting until page 10. (see what I did there? :tongue: )

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    :flowerforyou: Hi

I went through a lot of trouble to weed out this thread because it was a 'clean' debate with no 'dirty' fighting until page 10. (see what I did there? :tongue: )

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator

And I deleted all the responses quoting the offensive posts. If someone attacks you, or posts something against the forum guidelines, please do not quote it! Thanks!)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member

Maybe you should read the forums a bit more before judging. It's not one side versus the other. It's individual people. Some are sensitive and some aren't. Trying to group people like that is just going to cause a "fight" instead of discussion...unless that's what you are aiming for. If so...not cool.
    I know people who are cool/great people that do paleo, are vegans/vegetarians, etc. Unfortunately though, in real life and on MFP, they seem to be the minority. I've come across more of the extremists (or as some or them have actually called themselves - elitists) on here than people like yourself.
    It kind of ends up setting the tone when certain threads pop up. Sucks for the cool ones :(

I think the "all individuals" argument applies to the groups you mention in the second post too. Most veggies, vegans, and paleo are just as normal and non-abrasive, non-confrontational, and normal as the average IIFYM. We just notice the ones more who PM each other stating that they will die from cancer, just like I notice the people more who call others elitist or come on every thread where someone posts that they want to eat "clean" and ask for advice with bleach jokes or a condescending attitude. We see what we expect to see. You could visit my friends list if you want a bunch of people who are vegan or vegetarian that you probably never even see post on the forums. I wouldn't know they are vegans myself if not for the food diaries. Most of us just live our lives, but of course you'll see people on a diet and fitness forum talking about particular plans or ways of eating.