Why are people so negative regarding clean eating?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I didn't have an issue with "clean" as it has been discussed on this board until a day I got attacked. I went in a thread a couple months ago and said something along the lines that I eat a nutrition dense diet with occasional treats if I meet my macros and micros. I got a PM from a clean eating preacher saying I deserved cancer because I was polluting myself. I've been called names, been called a bully, and for what? Posting a pop tart joke and some pics of a bodybuilder eating donuts. Oh and calling out someone for body shaming people who don't eat clean.

Backstory, in the two years before my cancer diagnosis I was a "clean eater" that drove my family nuts with it. I threw out all food that I deemed evil, my kids had ever had a potato chip or sweetened cereal ever. I still got sick. When I started chemo, the doc changed my diet. More grain carbs, fewer veggies. More meats. Less fish and no sushi or mollusks. No grapefruit or beets. I was told to keep sodium up and eat kid foods to fight nausea. It was exactly the opposite of what I would have thought.

I still eat what clean eaters would say is a mostly clean diet, but I do IIFYM and meet my micros almost every day. I have cheat days like today. I have a low body fat, lift weights, have shinier hair than ever, and my oncologist calls me his favorite success story. But I still get told here I'm signing my death warrant.

Mommy+Cat+Hugs+Baby+Kitten.gif
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Because everyone is entitled to their opinions. I agree- I prefer clean eating too, but to each his own :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I didn't have an issue with "clean" as it has been discussed on this board until a day I got attacked. I went in a thread a couple months ago and said something along the lines that I eat a nutrition dense diet with occasional treats if I meet my macros and micros. I got a PM from a clean eating preacher saying I deserved cancer because I was polluting myself. I've been called names, been called a bully, and for what? Posting a pop tart joke and some pics of a bodybuilder eating donuts. Oh and calling out someone for body shaming people who don't eat clean.

Backstory, in the two years before my cancer diagnosis I was a "clean eater" that drove my family nuts with it. I threw out all food that I deemed evil, my kids had ever had a potato chip or sweetened cereal ever. I still got sick. When I started chemo, the doc changed my diet. More grain carbs, fewer veggies. More meats. Less fish and no sushi or mollusks. No grapefruit or beets. I was told to keep sodium up and eat kid foods to fight nausea. It was exactly the opposite of what I would have thought.

I still eat what clean eaters would say is a mostly clean diet, but I do IIFYM and meet my micros almost every day. I have cheat days like today. I have a low body fat, lift weights, have shinier hair than ever, and my oncologist calls me his favorite success story. But I still get told here I'm signing my death warrant.

testify.gif
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options

See, but the majority of people I know who are doing Primal/Paleo/Whole whatever would NEVER make comments like that. In fact, most of us acknowledge that it is almost impossible to be 100% on target (see, I didn't use the c word) because, well, because life happens. There are extremists about food, just as there are extremists for just about everything else. I've only been active here a couple of days, and what happens is that a new person comes on, innocently says, "I'm Paleo," and the battle begins.

I'm sorry some asshat attacked your food choices. I'm very glad you are still with us to post and share your successes and struggles.

And now, I'm about to indulge in my 10% (which is a HUGE serving of Cold Stone Ice Cream). Because I'm not 100% :)
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

^^This /thread
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Really? You haven't spent enough time here. There is the McDonald's crowd. Loud and proud to eat a Big Mac. The "soda" crowd...F you, I lost 300 pounds drinking a 12 a day, the calories in and calories out crowd - eat whatever you want, then binge, opps it is your fault, crowd. And my favorite...the you must be starving yourself, eat more crowd. Yawn...

Can't tell if bitter or just hangry...

Bitter or HANGRY? Spell much?
    I am actually neither ( Nie- there), I am quite self-satisfied, like so many on this board.

HANGRY - the unfortunate result of anger that results of being too hungry. It's not in the dictionary, no. But we can assure you, it's a real condition. Won't you donate to help rid the world of this difficult problem?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

See, but the majority of people I know who are doing Primal/Paleo/Whole whatever would NEVER make comments like that. In fact, most of us acknowledge that it is almost impossible to be 100% on target (see, I didn't use the c word) because, well, because life happens. There are extremists about food, just as there are extremists for just about everything else. I've only been active here a couple of days, and what happens is that a new person comes on, innocently says, "I'm Paleo," and the battle begins.

I'm sorry some asshat attacked your food choices. I'm very glad you are still with us to post and share your successes and struggles.

And now, I'm about to indulge in my 10% (which is a HUGE serving of Cold Stone Ice Cream). Because I'm not 100% :)

I know people who are cool/great people that do paleo, are vegans/vegetarians, etc. Unfortunately though, in real life and on MFP, they seem to be the minority. I've come across more of the extremists (or as some or them have actually called themselves - elitists) on here than people like yourself.

It kind of ends up setting the tone when certain threads pop up. Sucks for the cool ones :(
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Coolio. Enjoy.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Really? You haven't spent enough time here. There is the McDonald's crowd. Loud and proud to eat a Big Mac. The "soda" crowd...F you, I lost 300 pounds drinking a 12 a day, the calories in and calories out crowd - eat whatever you want, then binge, opps it is your fault, crowd. And my favorite...the you must be starving yourself, eat more crowd. Yawn...

I am actually neither ( Nie- there), I am quite self-satisfied, like so many on this board.

But. But. Hangry is the proper spelling of hangry.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Few things here.

Hangry = Hungry+Angry. So it wasn't a misspelling. And attacking someone's spelling or grammar is indicative of having no other avenue to support your side except for ad hominem attacks. Lastly, well, never mind.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options

OK, OK, I said give. Mean, mean, me. And I am not even hangry - nor have I ever heard of being "hangry." I guess it is just a ... well, whatevs. In fact I ate OVER my cals today and it was ALL CLEAN...
  • MyChange4Life
    Options
    I hate the name "clean eating." I used to live a whole foods life but it got expensive.

Me too, though I hate 'real eating' worse.....

I had alot of ice cream today (more then I should but stayed under my calories). Did I really eat? I was pretty clean with it, didn't manage to spill any on me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    People can option to eat "clean" and feel good about it. I could care less if that's their choice. The negativity happens when "clean" eaters start referring to others processed/non organic foods as crap. It's called food snobbery and many "clean" eaters may make others feel inferior about their food choices. Just say they eat clean and leave it at that. No need to try to "educate" us on the "advantages" of clean eating if one is achieving weight loss while meeting their macro/micro nutrients each day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ghost15026
    ghost15026 Posts: 80
    Options
    I eat so clean I fart rainbows. It's all good until the pot of gold and leprechaun. Leprechaun seemed pretty upset, though. Going for a unicorn next.

the_daily_morning_rainbow_fart_by_milknud-d49eaqz_zps2874ad2f.jpg
  • jayrudq
    Options
    I am beginning to think that dirty eaters are all together way too sensitive. Low blood sugar maybe? Insulin bounce? Or maybe it is the post pop-tart blues (you KNEW someone had to mention Pop Tarts).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to think that dirty eaters are all together way too sensitive. Low blood sugar maybe? Insulin bounce? Or maybe it is the post pop-tart blues (you KNEW someone had to mention Pop Tarts).

No, just fed up of sanctimonious clap trap that some people spew.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Maybe you should read the forums a bit more before judging. It's not one side versus the other. It's individual people. Some are sensitive and some aren't. Trying to group people like that is just going to cause a "fight" instead of discussion...unless that's what you are aiming for. If so...not cool.
  • Achrya
    Options

Thread is called "Why are people so negative regarding clean eating" but 'dirty' eaters are too sensitive?

K. Logic checks out.
  • jayrudq
    Options

No, just fed up of sanctimonious clap trap that some people spew.

Which, what, makes you special (not that you aren't, that was rhetorical)l? Sorry, but there is PLENTY of clap trap on these boards to go around...the clean eaters (which, btw I am not even one of, they wouldn't have me) are surely not the only ones...
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

OK, OK, I said give. Mean, mean, me. And I am not even hangry - nor have I ever heard of being "hangry." I guess it is just a ...

I believe the word you're looking for is, portmanteau.