Why are people so negative regarding clean eating?

Options

Replies

• kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Both sides shove **** down the other sides' throats and it's just a perpetual battle of stupidity.

What do those who don't eat clean shove downs people's throats, exactly? No one has ever said 'don't eat clean' but rather 'you don't have to eat clean'/'clean eating doesn't exist cause no foods are dirty/bad'. No one wants clean eaters to change or subscribe to a different diet.

This DOES happen all the time. I was on a thread the other day where someone posted that they were interested in making other friends who were into clean eating. Tons of posts ensued where people, unsolicited, pretty much stated that all clean eaters are preachy, pushy, misguided people. One poster suggested that people who eat clean just don't have self control (like she did) and should focus more on eating junk food in moderation (like she does) It happens ALL the time, here and in the real world. I'm paleo for a myriad of health reasons, but I try not to tell people because I get so tired of being told that doing so is wrong for whatever reason, and then I am either forced to go into my medical history to justify my choices or just nod and agree. I am sure that there are clean eaters who are preachy and judgmental, just like there are those in every group, but it seems that a lot of them venom gets spewed at clean eating as a lifestyle. I just don't get it. No worries, everybody, I won't offer you ANY suggestions or relate what has been helpful to me!

Do you have a link to this thread so we may check it out to verify your claims?

I can't get the thread to link correctly, and I can't figure out why. The title of the thread was "Anyone doing whole/real/clean eating out there?" Perhaps someone else will have better luck linking to it than I did. BTW, I really appreciate your thoughtful discussion style. You are having a conversation, not a shouting match, and I really appreciate that. I think I'm not cut out for the boards and all the attack. It makes me want to leave the site. Fortunately, I have fantastic MFP friends and wouldn't want to let them down.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1040450-anyone-doing-whole-real-clean-eating-out-there

That was the link - but it doesn't work for me now either.

I was pretty shocked at how ugly people got - and I was just looking for some buddies! I put clean in the title because it is in the ballpark of what I do. Apparently I didn't start the war, but provided another battlefield for it.
  • kellyskitties
    Options
    Both sides shove **** down the other sides' throats and it's just a perpetual battle of stupidity.

What do those who don't eat clean shove downs people's throats, exactly? No one has ever said 'don't eat clean' but rather 'you don't have to eat clean'/'clean eating doesn't exist cause no foods are dirty/bad'. No one wants clean eaters to change or subscribe to a different diet.

This DOES happen all the time. I was on a thread the other day where someone posted that they were interested in making other friends who were into clean eating. Tons of posts ensued where people, unsolicited, pretty much stated that all clean eaters are preachy, pushy, misguided people. One poster suggested that people who eat clean just don't have self control (like she did) and should focus more on eating junk food in moderation (like she does) It happens ALL the time, here and in the real world. I'm paleo for a myriad of health reasons, but I try not to tell people because I get so tired of being told that doing so is wrong for whatever reason, and then I am either forced to go into my medical history to justify my choices or just nod and agree. I am sure that there are clean eaters who are preachy and judgmental, just like there are those in every group, but it seems that a lot of them venom gets spewed at clean eating as a lifestyle. I just don't get it. No worries, everybody, I won't offer you ANY suggestions or relate what has been helpful to me!

Do you have a link to this thread so we may check it out to verify your claims?

I can't get the thread to link correctly, and I can't figure out why. The title of the thread was "Anyone doing whole/real/clean eating out there?" Perhaps someone else will have better luck linking to it than I did. BTW, I really appreciate your thoughtful discussion style. You are having a conversation, not a shouting match, and I really appreciate that. I think I'm not cut out for the boards and all the attack. It makes me want to leave the site. Fortunately, I have fantastic MFP friends and wouldn't want to let them down.

The thread has been locked/purged so you can't link to it. But from what I can glean from what's left, it looks like OP opened with something disparging about those who don't eat clean (as the first post I see from a 'non clean' eater is "Sanctimony is unattractive whichever way it goes, OP.", suggesting the OP had been sanctimonious in their OP.

Note that the first 'negative' comment is about how the OP eats, but how the OP put their message across. Next I see some things about how food is neither inherently healthy or unhealthy, which isn't bullying at all. Then, and this made me chuckle, someone saying that they don't feel the OP really eats clean cause artificial sugars. Shortly after this it does break down into your typical shoving match.

My honest assessment is the OP probably said something about those who don't eat clean, perhaps without even realizing it, and that's what started the debate.

Not exactly. I don't generally eat artificial sugars - and didn't mention it that I recall.

All I remember is looking for some like minded supportive friends. I was clear I'm not 100% compliant. I didn't much feel like anyone directly attacked me, but they sure hijacked the thread. The sanctimonious comment - I was never sure who that was aimed at because I didn't criticize anyone except trying to get them to play nice. I don't care who eats what - just what I eat and I am very educated in nutrition - I don't need saving.
  • kellyskitties
    Options
    From my memory, the first post was a pretty innocuous statement from OP saying she didn't know much about clean eating and what it was all about, was looking for advice/friends. The next several posts were mostly from people saying something brief but disparaging about what they didn't like about clean eaters. THe OP could very have gotten sanctimonious, I truly have no idea and wouldn't dispute it, but I am pretty sure what you're reading was not near the beginning of the post. It was a shoving match from the second post on.

I don't think I actually spoke of anyone except me. I didn't know such opposition even existed.
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I remember a week or so ago I gave an unfortunately long-winded & naïve explanation to a silly hypothetical question and my answer got two kinds of responses. One was legit (I had gone sincerely off topic and someone rightly called me out on it; 100% my bad) and the other just went to town bashing me, presumably under the impression that I am some sort of clean eating zealot. (I'm not.) In fact, before I could apologize and defer to the former, the latter jumped all over my **** for things I never even said. (I'm still experimenting with different foods and macros - so I'm certainly no expert on any of this.)

This experience taught me that there are some people on MFP who just really want to fight. They have nothing better to do than feign contempt/offense/outrage with total strangers on the internet who (presumably) have similar overall goals, just so they have some random stranger to feel superior to. Luckily, the vast majority of the people I've met on here seem to be pretty cool and I try to keep an open mind about what they say has worked for them. Who knows. It may work for me too someday.

Edited because I spelled something incorrectly. :)
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    I remember a week or so ago I gave an unfortunately long-winded & naïve explanation to a silly hypothetical question and my answer got two kinds of responses. One was legit (I had gone sincerely off topic and someone rightly called me out on it; 100% my bad) and the other just went to town bashing me, presumably under the impression that I am some sort of clean eating zealot. (I'm not.) In fact, before I could apologize and defer to the former, the latter jumped all over my **** for things I never even said. (I'm still experimenting with different foods and macros - so I'm certainly no expert on any of this.)

This experience taught me that there are some people on MFP who just really want to fight. They have nothing better to do than feign contempt/offense/outrage with total strangers on the internet who (presumably) have similar overall goals, just so they have some random stranger to feel superior to. Luckily, the vast majority of the people I've met on here seem to be pretty cool and I try to keep an open mind about what they say has worked for them. Who knows. It may work for me too someday.

Agreed
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

The converse is also true. Some people use the internet as a way to FIND things to get upset about. I can't imagine the majority of hurt and offended posters would react the same way they do HERE as they do in real life.

You don't go to a store after getting cut off in the parking lot, and then stand in the produce aisle screaming about how people are jerks and rude, do you?

Then why do people do it on the internet?

Anonymity. It works both ways.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

The converse is also true. Some people use the internet as a way to FIND things to get upset about. I can't imagine the majority of hurt and offended posters would react the same way they do HERE as they do in real life.

You don't go to a store after getting cut off in the parking lot, and then stand in the produce aisle screaming about how people are jerks and rude, do you?

Then why do people do it on the internet?

Anonymity. It works both ways.

Mmmm when most people get cut off they honk, flip the bird, and then vent all day about ****ty drivers.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have definitely noticed a lot of negativity towards clean eaters lately as well. As a former vegetarian and someone who *TRIES* to eat all organic and natural foods, I myself have not experience anyone being negative towards me. I do however feel that eating this way is a LOT better for you. I have a family member who suffered from cancer, and changing her diet up to be a "clean" eater, definitely had something to do with her being cancer free. I mean, it would make sense that eating all natural things that have not had chemicals or been extremely altered by mankind would be better for you. I don't try to shove my opinions down other people's throats and I don't care what people eat, but I will try to educate friends/family about the importance of what you put into your body.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Obviously, eating clean is going to be healthier for you. Some people can still lose weight eating whatever they want, but that's not really possible for others. Any internet forum is going to have people arguing both sides, very adamently. Just do what you think is best and what works for you. Ignore the haters. Also - keep in mind, alot of people on here are cranky. We're hungry. Just try to stay positive and stay on track, and do you.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Obviously, eating clean is going to be healthier for you. Some people can still lose weight eating whatever they want, but that's not really possible for others.

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Obviously, eating clean is going to be healthier for you. Some people can still lose weight eating whatever they want, but that's not really possible for others.

8b1.gif
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

8b1.gif

From what I've seen, I honestly think it's a lost cause to try and change anybody's mind. A lot of people just won't accept the scientific facts on the subject. They grew up being told that fruits, vegetables, and lean meats were healthy, and fast food, candy, and high fat foods were unhealthy, so when somebody tells them that the entire basis of their knowledge on nutrition is flawed, they won't accept it.

People are unwilling to accept that individual foods are neither healthy nor unhealthy. Foods are healthy if they fit into the context of your daily intake (calories and macros).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've been on the forums for probably two weeks and I've learned one thing:

Everyone on these forums is rude and nasty about everything. They often have legitimate points, but usually say them in the meanest way possible.

Everyone?

tumblr_m854x61KKx1qdpv6u.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Everyone on these forums is rude and nasty about everything. They often have legitimate points, but usually say them in the meanest way possible.

Everyone?

Literally.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Everyone?

Literally.

:laugh:
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

Everyone?

Literally.

Seriously.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options

8b1.gif
    Foods are healthy if they fit into the context of your daily intake (calories and macros).
    Not true - if that were the case, you could eat glue and call it healthy if it fits in your calories. Skinny is different than healthy.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

8b1.gif
    Foods are healthy if they fit into the context of your daily intake (calories and macros).
    Not true - if that were the case, you could eat glue and call it healthy if it fits in your calories. Skinny is different than healthy.

Glue is not food.

He is 100% right. No individual food is good or bad. Avocado is bad if it makes you blow past your calorie goal. Twinkies are fine if you can eat them while hitting all your nutrient targets.

No individual food is good or bad. It is your overall diet that is good or bad.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Twinkies are fine if you can eat them while hitting all your nutrient targets

I'm sorry but "Twinkies" and "Nutrients" don't belong in the same sentence. :laugh:
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

Depends, what's the macro breakdown on glue?

But seriously now, you can't compare food with real macro/micronutrient composition to a toxic substance.