Why does everybody detest low carb diets? They are the only thing that works for me

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Cyndi10612 wrote: »
    I feel like people freak out when you tell them you are on an extremely low calorie diet, Atkins, etc. I catch the wrath from friends and family, and even online communities, that low carb diets are so bad for you but honestly it's the only thing that works for me and I feel better so why not!

I dont know if anyone read and missed the part about the OP saying extremely low calorie diet but, here it is frowned upon keto/low carb generally is not. just because you are low carb/keto doesnt mean thats its a low calorie diet.the two are different if you ask me. extremely low calorie diets are not healthy or sustainable,but low carb/keto can be. extremely low calories should not be followed by anyone except for those who have had WLS or under the strict care of a DR who knows his *kitten* from a whole in the ground.

I assumed it was a typo given the title.

hope thats the case but one can never tell sometimes
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have insulin resistance and am trying a low-carb, low-sugar diet to reduce blood sugar spikes. I have no time to explain to people what insulin resistance is or what I need to do to fix it, therefore, I really don't care what people have to say. If they ASK about my diet, though, I have no problem explaining. But unsolicited "advice" is swiftly met with a 0_o.

People with IR should reduce their carb intake. At least around here, that is widely accepted. And when carbs are consumed, it should be more complex and combined with other nutrients (fats and proteins) to slow the release of insulin.
  • sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    “You are so young my son, my son, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions…”
    –Plato

Yeah I'm my opinions will change over the years about many things. I'm not your son, I have 5 kids of my own and one in high school. How young do you think I actually am?lol running the body efficiently is not an opinion thing, it's a scientific thing. You're getting a little deep for a conversation about low carbs lol
  • psuLemon
    Options
    sbubenchik wrote: »
    “You are so young my son, my son, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions…”
    –Plato

Yeah I'm my opinions will change over the years about many things. I'm not your son, I have 5 kids of my own and one in high school. How young do you think I actually am?lol running the body efficiently is not an opinion thing, it's a scientific thing. You're getting a little deep for a conversation about low carbs lol

Are you assuming that bodies run less efficient while higher in carbs?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    –Plato

Wow dude, you're all over the place...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    –Plato

Well your profile says 32 so....
  • J72FIT
    Options
    –Plato

So then explain how I am doing it with all 3 macros...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    –Plato

So then explain how I am doing it with all 3 macros...

Well, just look at you. It's obviously not working. ;)
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I don't 'detest' low carb
    I simply couldn't sustain low carb....I love carbs. Carbs are yummy!
    I want a sustainable lifestyle and low carb simply doesn't fit the bill for me.
  • sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Higher "processed carbs"? Uh yeah. Read stuff from the British medical journal. Or pick any other studies from various universities. I thought it was common sense by now that processed foods weren't as good for the body. I never said sweet potatoes were bad. I eat tons of carbs. But it's just in the form of leafy greens and other veggies. I'm finished with this forum, I think the person asking the question got enough info from both sides. All debate BS aside, I just want people to feel fantastic and be healthy.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Ok first off I never said you can't get good results from eating certain things. This was a low carb question in this forum. I was simply saying that eating low carb is not bad at all. And it's just a scientific fact that processed carbs and grains aren't the most nutrient dense foods. You can't argue with that. My before and after pic on here was processed carbs vs how I eat now. Plus I don't "lift weights", I train on an athletic level. But I physically feel better with the nutrition change. All this stuff was what I learned in college in my A&P class. I'm just trying to help answer a question.

1. Nutrient density is a poor metric for a food. It's an oversimplification that overlooks the fact you need each individual nutrient. You can eat only nutrient dense foods and still be very deficient in one or more nutrients. For example, you could eat only fruit and veggies, and you'd have lots of nutrients overall but you'd end up very deficient in B12 since you are getting zero from that diet.

2. Nutrients matter at the level of the overall diet, and once you reach your minimums, there's no real benefit to taking in more. 200% of your RDA of a vitamin is no healthier than 100%. If you have a deficiency, there's a huge benefit to eating foods that address the deficiency, but if you're not deficient there is little to no benefit to eating more of the nutrients you're already getting enough of.

3. Grains are good sources of several nutrients like potassium and some of the B vitamins. No food has a complete nutrient profile - the easiest way to meet your needs without needing to micromanage every aspect of your diet is to consume a wide variety of different foods.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Higher "processed carbs"? Uh yeah. Read stuff from the British medical journal. Or pick any other studies from various universities. I thought it was common sense by now that processed foods weren't as good for the body. I never said sweet potatoes were bad. I eat tons of carbs. But it's just in the form of leafy greens and other veggies. I'm finished with this forum, I think the person asking the question got enough info from both sides. All debate BS aside, I just want people to feel fantastic and be healthy.

Making sweeping generalizations is where there is an issue. Diets are about context. Process carbs are actually process fats and some carbs, too. Sugar sweetened beverages being the exception. They are bad because they are very high in calories and low in micronutrients.
  • J72FIT
    Options

And there is more then one way to achieve this...
  • psuLemon
    Options

And there is more then one way to achieve this...

And I think we all agree that one should have plenty of nutrient dense foods.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm not low carb, but respect folks who choose low carb for weight loss, or to address health concerns, or want to see if they feel better.

That said: yeah, there are many kinds of foods that have a nutritionally significant amount of carbohydrates. Some of those are pretty damned nutritious (all those leafy greens, whole fruits, and those beautiful WHOLE, INTACT grains that Cwolfman posted). And legumes. I love them. I understand that many avoid them because they are supposedly inflammatory, but I adore legumes.

I agree that calling grains "bad" is ill advised. I also wouldn't call them "good" simply because they help fulfill a calorie or macro number. There are nutrient dense, whole food, high fiber grains and then there are the heavily refined convenience foods. Those tend to be the hyper palatable, nutrient poor foods. I tend not to spend much of my calorie allotment on those. It doesn't work well for my goals.

Eat em (all carbs, some carbs, certain carbs...) or don't. It's your life.

Cheers.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Ok since you also agree that I know nothing about nutrition and fitness, then teach me. I also wanna know how I'm in the kinda shape I'm in when I'm doing everything wrong. That's a real question by the way.

There isn't "the" right way. There are millions of right ways. As long as your diet meets your nutritional requirements, you have appropriate calorie consumption to maintain a healthy weight, and physical activity to maintain your target level of fitness, it's all good. That could be high carb, low carb, clean, dirty, paleo, vegan, IIFYM, what have you.

What matters is that each of us find "a" right way and one that we can sustain and enjoy. It doesn't have to be the same right way that you or I do it.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I don't have an issue with low carb at all if it works for you

I do admittedly have the following issues

1) the prevailing nonsense that in order to lose weight one has to cut carbs ...it's a ridiculous concept that had seeped so far into the public domain that people from all walks of life, including medics, spout it as a solution to weight loss

2) the excitement at rapid scale weight drops that people often hit you with in the first few weeks when it's mainly.water weight manipulation and studies comparing to low fat as a diet show the rate of loss equalises by week 12 ...eg there is no long term speed benefits

3) for me personally the impossibility of long term adherence and how rapidly weight swings back once one eats carbs ...the approach always made me yo-yo badly :( and I'm finally at a solution to my weight that gives me long term adherence over temporary weight loss.

I have gone low carb a number of times for periods between 3 months and about 11 months but always 'fell off' eventually and ended up fatter than before I started. And the speed at which that weight was regained always shocked me. Every time I restarted I did so with the mindset of 'this time I know what I'm doing, I just need to get to x weight,this time I will stick to it'

4) the bro-science claims around biological responses to carbs in those without specific medical conditions

Hope that helps

Its interesting that your 2nd point is that the weight loss in the beginning is largely water weight loss, but then in your 3rd point you lament about how rapidly the weight came back on when you increased carbs, you realize that was water weight as well. and then in your second part of point 3 you state how you eventually ended up fatter after adding carbs back, which would suggest you were eating a caloric surplus since we know that weight loss and gain are all about calories in vs. calories out. thus having nothing to do with the amount of carbs you were eating and everything to do with the amount of calories you were eating.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Ok first off I never said you can't get good results from eating certain things. This was a low carb question in this forum. I was simply saying that eating low carb is not bad at all. And it's just a scientific fact that processed carbs and grains aren't the most nutrient dense foods. You can't argue with that. My before and after pic on here was processed carbs vs how I eat now. Plus I don't "lift weights", I train on an athletic level. But I physically feel better with the nutrition change. All this stuff was what I learned in college in my A&P class. I'm just trying to help answer a question.

I'm never one to compare individual foods since I believe these foods aren't eaten in a vacuum and it's the diet as a whole that matters, but when low carb proponents say things like that, it irks me. Even some of the junkiest foods have more nutrients than the healthiest fats, which occupy a large percentage of their diet, and grains are pretty nutritious (like my favorite rye bread). Also why is there always this assumption that those who aren't doing low carb don't eat vegetables among other things? Some eat as much if not more vegetables as those making the claims about nutrition.

107bfwjbshpw.jpg

tn20adib5dlo.jpg

zlp6tazhmpz0.jpg